PDA

View Full Version : Surprised in Ubuntu interest

.t.
October 26th, 2006, 10:10 PM
While out flying with the RAF 5 air experience flight, I took my Ubuntu-laptop. The first thing people saw was the logo sticker on the top of the screen. I explained what it was, and turned on the computer. I had heads craning around seats as people saw the Ubuntu Edgy usplash, and then the wonderful games (surprisingly) and apps, and Beryl-y goodness. People wanted to get it, and remarked that the sticker was "cool". I've gotta start showing off more, and give out CDs!

I'm just surprised that this was the outcome. I thought it was going to be an uphill struggle against remarks of Windows evangelists and, of those, the ones anti-nerd. I don't see myself to be a nerd, and obviously everyone in my sample didn't see Linux as nerdy any more. In fact, they didn't even realise it was Linux; until I told one, who didn't bat an eye-lid. This is a very good sign, that people are so open-minded.

Brunellus
October 26th, 2006, 10:13 PM
While out flying with the RAF 5 air experience flight, I took my Ubuntu-laptop. The first thing people saw was the logo sticker on the top of the screen. I explained what it was, and turned on the computer. I had heads craning around seats as people saw the Ubuntu Edgy usplash, and then the wonderful games (surprisingly) and apps, and Beryl-y goodness. People wanted to get it, and remarked that the sticker was "cool". I've gotta start showing off more, and give out CDs!

I'm just surprised that this was the outcome. I thought it was going to be an uphill struggle against remarks of Windows evangelists and, of those, the ones anti-nerd. I don't see myself to be a nerd, and obviously everyone in my sample didn't see Linux as nerdy any more. In fact, they didn't even realise it was Linux; until I told one, who didn't bat an eye-lid. This is a very good sign, that people are so open-minded.
Eye candy is easy to sell. I now expect a dozen airmen to start posting on these forums about how Ubuntu

a) Breaks Windows. They will probably have wiped their windows install by not paying attention.

b) Won't run Nifty.exe.

c) Does not implement $feature in the same way that Windows does.

Colour me cynical, but most "interest" that starts with eyecandy evaporates as soon as they realise Ubuntu isn't just a tricked-out version of Windows.

dalee
October 26th, 2006, 10:22 PM
Hi,

I tend to agree with Brunellus. The eye candy is nice, but seldom makes for a lasting relationship.

Still, if you can get one person to take Ubuntu seriously, then you've done well!!!

dalee

.t.
October 26th, 2006, 10:24 PM
I explained efficiently that it wasn't Windows, but has equivalent applications for many Windows programs, and some will run through WINE. I said that if they didn't like it, that was their choice.

Brunellus
October 26th, 2006, 10:28 PM
I explained efficiently that it wasn't Windows, but has equivalent applications for many Windows programs, and some will run through WINE. I said that if they didn't like it, that was their choice.
you can tell people all you want, but it's only when they attempt to run nifty.exe that you find out if they were actually paying attention.

I tend to soft-pedal WINE when talking about Linux. It's a good tool, but nowhere near effective enough to recommend broadly to users who don't understand what they're getting into. Selling WINE makes new users insist that their Windows apps run in WINE--a roll of the dice at best--rather than encouraging them to move to viable Free alternatives.

.t.
October 26th, 2006, 10:31 PM
Hence I made sure that they understood the greatness of the alternatives! I agree about WINE, definitely.

chaosgeisterchen
October 26th, 2006, 10:40 PM
Interest is a good start, if people are willing to convert they will not only stick to the eyecandy but more get a close relationship with the system underneath.

codypumper
October 26th, 2006, 10:46 PM
Maybe some people will want nifty.exe. Maybe some will, but those who will and find out they can't will either learn alot of good stuff or call Geek Squad, and what's wrong with that?

.t.
October 26th, 2006, 11:06 PM
Exactly. No harm in trying!

roderikk
October 26th, 2006, 11:08 PM
I have been around now for a few months and have read all the warnings of 'trying to convert people'. I have therefore never tried to convert anyone, however, in the last 2 weeks two of my housemates (as I live here with 4 people that is 50%...) came to me asking for guidance as they wanted to try out this Linux thing. After giving them a lot of warning that learning Linux is like taking up a new language, so making them expect a lot of hardship to come (they have heard me swearing quite a few times ;-) ) they still want to try it out.
People will come when they are ready, as long as we are ready to help the people... ;-)

raqball
October 26th, 2006, 11:11 PM
My girlfriend had pretty much refused to use Linux until recently and then she will only use it as a duel boot..

She is an accountant and I convinced her that learning Linux was a good career move.. Not only for a possible company change but possible for promotional opportunities.

It can never hurt to put on an application that you are proficient in ******* and linux :)

Brunellus
October 26th, 2006, 11:39 PM
I have been around now for a few months and have read all the warnings of 'trying to convert people'. I have therefore never tried to convert anyone, however, in the last 2 weeks two of my housemates (as I live here with 4 people that is 50%...) came to me asking for guidance as they wanted to try out this Linux thing. After giving them a lot of warning that learning Linux is like taking up a new language, so making them expect a lot of hardship to come (they have heard me swearing quite a few times ;-) ) they still want to try it out.
People will come when they are ready, as long as we are ready to help the people... ;-)
This is the most sensible thing I've read on conversions.

I've gone with the "forced conversions" method for my family, though. It's met with mixed success. My younger brother is a dual-booter by default now. His observation: "Linux lets me get work done. But Windows plays everything."

IYY
October 27th, 2006, 06:38 AM
I've noticed that regular people are interested in Linux lately, but will still not switch to it because it misses an app or two, or because it's not compatible with some specific piece of hardware. I believe this is quickly changing. The biggest change will be in the next release of Windows (Vista+1), that will most likely break backwards compatibility.

Brunellus
October 27th, 2006, 12:59 PM
I've noticed that regular people are interested in Linux lately, but will still not switch to it because it misses an app or two, or because it's not compatible with some specific piece of hardware. I believe this is quickly changing. The biggest change will be in the next release of Windows (Vista+1), that will most likely break backwards compatibility.
. . . which means that users will simply stay with WinXP or 2k until their computer is "too old," whereupon they will just eat the cost of upgrading hardware and buying new licenses.

roderikk
October 27th, 2006, 09:19 PM
Hm, well, at the current rate Vista+1 is at least 3 to 5 years away. When I remember my first (and very brief) experience with Linux 5 years ago a lót has changed! With the increasing adoptation of Linux by 'regular' people it will most certainly gain momentum, whether microsoft will be able to stop that is a question. Of course they will not sit still either, but it will be an interesting competition...

ComplexNumber
October 27th, 2006, 09:30 PM
Colour me cynical, but most "interest" that starts with eyecandy evaporates as soon as they realise Ubuntu isn't just a tricked-out version of Windows.
unfortunately, that seems to be quite true. most people who don't have any interest in computers or gadgets just want to stick with what they are used to....unless they contiinually have bad experiences with what they are used to.