PDA

View Full Version : AmaroK on gnome

warlorddagaz
October 26th, 2006, 07:23 PM
AmoroK was made for KDE, but I am using it on Gnome, and it works, although it does crash once in a while.

Does anyone else use amoroK with Gnome, and how has it panned out?
Also, does anyone know of any serious disadvantages, or good replacements?

xtacocorex
October 26th, 2006, 07:25 PM
I use Amarok on Gnome and had no problems that I can remember.

Sammi
October 26th, 2006, 07:26 PM
Works beautifully on my Gnome desktop :cool:

bignickel
October 26th, 2006, 07:30 PM
I use amarok on gnome, and in recent versions it has become remarkably stable as long as you turn esd off (System -> Preferences -> Sound). I've tried most of the other options (Listen, eXaile, xmms), and really they can't even come close to amarok.

puppy
October 26th, 2006, 07:47 PM
I run it - it's the best music organising software out there IMHO (I have thousands of MP3s - all legal btw :p ). In particular the Wikipedia and lyrics look-up tabs and the multifarious playlist support is great :)

There are very regular updates to the app too, and lots more features are promised for the future - podcast support is in there but not really in a useable state just yet but it really is the dog's danglies if you ask me :mrgreen: And yes, I've tried just about everything else out there and always come back to Amarok, and that says a lot.

AndyCooll
October 26th, 2006, 09:00 PM
I use Amarok in GNOME, and I too never have any problems.

I love GNOME and mainly use GNOME apps, For most apps both GNOME and KDE have good comparable equivalents. Even K3B has a good GNOME equivalent in Gnomebaker.

Amarok IMHO though is way ahead of other alternatives. I sometimes use Totem, Xine and mplayer because they can play both music and video. Rhythmbox, Exaile and Listen are ok too. However they all still fall well short.
I like Rhythmbox for instance but as far as I'm aware it doesn't automatically import playlists. And none of these provide lyrics and artist information.

Amarok really does rok!

:cool:

roderikk
October 26th, 2006, 09:09 PM
Yes, I am a big Amarok fan too. I have used XMMS for a few months as I came from Windows and it looked like Winamp which I always used there. However, after switching to Amarok I never wanted to go back.

I have tried most of the gnome equivalents, Banshee, Rythmbox, Listen, Exaile but none quite got as far as Amarok.

However, there is one very exciting development going on with the new application called Songbird ( www.songbirdnest.com ). It is still in early development, being in version 0.2, but it shows huge potential. Aysiu has created a very nice script to install Songbird ( http://www.psychocats.net/ubuntu/songbird ). I recommend to anyone who is curious to just try it out.

skymt
October 26th, 2006, 09:11 PM
I've only had one problem running Amarok on Gnome: if I close the splash screen early (by clicking on it), and this is the first time in the session I've opened it, the system tray icon appears in its own window. It will continue this behavior for the rest of the session. This seems to be because kde-init didn't run fully, because if I run kde-init with alt-F2, then reopen Amarok, the tray icon goes in the tray, where it belongs.

Closing the splash shouldn't affect anything, so I consider this a bug.

MedivhX
October 26th, 2006, 09:14 PM
Works OK, at my comp... Though it doesn't fit GNOME's look so I don't like using it so much... Has anyone tried Songbird 0.2 (http://www.songbirdnest.com/) for Linux???

cosmint_1973
October 26th, 2006, 09:17 PM
It works well for me too on gnome
No problems until now

roderikk
October 26th, 2006, 09:18 PM
Works OK, at my comp... Though it doesn't fit GNOME's look so I don't like using it so much... Has anyone tried Songbird 0.2 (http://www.songbirdnest.com/) for Linux???
Yes, and it is wonderful. Even though it wasn't that stable yet, and movie playback wasn't supported yet (in my case, don't know whether that is general). Try it out using the script of aysiu I linked to earlier!

MedivhX
October 26th, 2006, 09:23 PM
Yes, and it is wonderful. Even though it wasn't that stable yet, and movie playback wasn't supported yet (in my case, don't know whether that is general). Try it out using the script of aysiu I linked to earlier!

Oh, sorry I didn't look at other posts (which is sometimes very bad). I love it too!!! It looks GREAT!!! I think it is the future player at least for Linux. When it reaches final version it's gonna compete with AmaroK!!!

.t.
October 26th, 2006, 09:47 PM
I don't like Songbird. It has an ugly theme, and is too much a rip-off of iTunes. I don't need it's features, so I don't use it.

I love amaroK, but I have found an (almost as good) GNOME alternative equivalent in Listen. I just miss the ability to add in my own lyrics...

MedivhX
October 26th, 2006, 09:49 PM
Listen is cool, but very very unstable so it nerved me and I uninstalled it... [-( [-( [-(

puppy
October 26th, 2006, 09:51 PM
I've been keeping an eye on Songbird and it's still really alpha stage - it's also black and white reversed in it's default state which is a bit strange i.e. white text on black background, eyestrain here I come :confused:

ShanghaiTeej
October 26th, 2006, 10:41 PM
I'm a Gnome user and use Amarok as well, but I am keeping a close eye on Listen, Exaile, Banshee and Songbird. One thing that's cool about Songbird is that it's going to allow a wide variety of multiplatform extensions just like Firefox. I think that's cool in itself.

warlorddagaz
October 26th, 2006, 11:14 PM
I'm seeing support here!

I've found that it occasionally hangs when I try to access the Menu, but apart from that, it is fine - I actually quite like the theme - it may not tie in with "Human" too well (I've looked at the other themes and can't be bothered to change). I think it looks sleek and stylish. the new splash is good too (it changed when I upgraded to edgy this afternoon.

The only problem I find is that it takes ages to copy CDs to my HDD, but I've only got about 4 to go now.

.t.
October 26th, 2006, 11:39 PM
This is because it does "paranoia" checks on the CD to make sure it gets the copy right. I know that you can turn them off in grip, but I'm not sure about amaroK.

warlorddagaz
October 26th, 2006, 11:50 PM
I'm using sound juicer - maybe I shouldn't be - what's best - I've currently got sound juicer, serpentine and amaroK, and if it will speed things up I'll take anything that's not bugged or virussed to high heaven!

skymt
October 27th, 2006, 01:05 AM
I've been keeping an eye on Songbird and it's still really alpha stage - it's also black and white reversed in it's default state which is a bit strange i.e. white text on black background, eyestrain here I come :confused:

A black color scheme automatically makes anything cool. Didn't you know that? ;)

(See: Windows Vista, the U2 iPod)

Rackerz
October 27th, 2006, 01:06 AM
I like my Rythmbox but AmaroK does kick serious butt, I'd recommend it to anyone really.

madmetal
October 27th, 2006, 01:10 AM
i have amarok with gnome and i like it..
its the only kde program i have used with gnome that didnt create problems..

drobvice
November 2nd, 2006, 04:50 AM
When you install amarok on gnome, does the pointer change to the black xcursor one for you guys? That drives me nuts.

bionnaki
November 2nd, 2006, 07:50 AM
I grew fed up with amarok on gnome - it worked great, but lagged when opening up from the system tray and also opening menus. amarok is an awesome application, but I prefer gnome-on-gnome. I just installed exaile (svn .deb found on their forums) and I love it already - its like amarok but native. And the tray icon is very sharp. I like the player alot so far - simple and effective.

mrgnash
November 2nd, 2006, 08:34 AM
I use it under great sufferance.. but unfortunately there's no Gnome equivalent which is as good (Exaile comes the closest). It works fine and everything, but the lack of GTK2 theming is what puts me off.

henriquemaia
November 2nd, 2006, 08:37 AM
I use Amarok on Gnome from my day 1 on Ubuntu. It's the music player of my choice.

FISHERMAN
November 2nd, 2006, 10:51 AM
I(GNOME-user) use Quod Libet.
IMHO amaroK is an overrated player.

Moobert
November 2nd, 2006, 02:26 PM
http://www.exaile.org/ is a gnome based player aiming to be similar to amarok, with a few extra features like a shoutcast directory browser, and tabbed playlists.

EdThaSlayer
November 2nd, 2006, 04:12 PM
I heard that there is a terrible performance loss associated with using Amarok in Gnome. I use Listen,I really like it, since its GNOME!

sailingboarder
November 2nd, 2006, 09:08 PM
This is my first day with Ubuntu(I installed it last night) and I love it
I'm about to try Amarok, since I have yet to find a good music player on linux
The website isn't working, so i'm going to try the script that was posted earlier..hope this works

sailingboarder
November 2nd, 2006, 09:14 PM
just kidding, the script was for songbird, so i guess i'll give that a try now and maybe try amarok later

puppy
November 3rd, 2006, 02:08 AM
Well as far as Amarok performance is concerned, it does take a fair few seconds to start up first time, but when it's running on my machine (bear in mind I have an Audigy card doing all the serious sound work) CPU load is only about 3-4% for me, and it's only using about 20mb of memory...

nandasunu
November 3rd, 2006, 02:50 AM
I've been using Amarok for a while now, works really well for me now, especially in edgy. This install seems to be the first time I've run it with 100% no problems.

That Songbird looks promising too...

warlorddagaz
November 4th, 2006, 12:05 AM
just kidding, the script was for songbird, so i guess i'll give that a try now and maybe try amarok later#

It's probably easiest to use synaptic to get Amorok (add/remove programs)

Gargamella
November 4th, 2006, 12:23 AM
i use it too and it is the best i tried

whatintheworldisthat
November 4th, 2006, 01:45 AM
I should start by saying that I am a raging gnome fan. I Love Gnome. Having said this it might be surprising that I also love amarok. Amrok works flawlessly for me; tag editing, great organization tools, On Screen Display, drag and drop, playlists, podcasts, looks GREAT, is beautifully designed, god I could go forever.

Amarok is superbly integrated with lyric websites, wikipedia, album art fetching, and more. It has an excellently designed plugin interface to install useful plugins to do such wonderful things as: create an online playlist, control amarok via the browser, more lyric web sites, converting your songs, writing lyrics to the file, dj-like features, and many many many more.

Amarok is definitely one of my favorite programs of all time. Some people say that it is too hard on resources, but this stems from the misconceptions that Beep media player and XMMS are ultra-light on resources. NOT TRUE. Amarok is beautiful! To all of those that have not tried it, DO!

Someone mentioned songbird. Although not quite ready for the spotlight it looks VERY promising. Its already packing some great and unique features such as making a playlist out of websites, and many more web capabilities. Still in early stages of development, and already looking great.

(why does everyone seem to like the ancient and superseded XMMS?)

etaham
January 26th, 2007, 06:29 PM
Does anyone know if theres a panel applet that can control amarok? or a way to set up the player control keys on my logitech keyboard to control amarok?

Sunflower1970
January 26th, 2007, 08:30 PM
AmoroK was made for KDE, but I am using it on Gnome, and it works, although it does crash once in a while.

Does anyone else use amoroK with Gnome, and how has it panned out?
Also, does anyone know of any serious disadvantages, or good replacements?

Love Amarok. Better than iTunes. (I never used the buy a song feature anyway) :) Never had it crash, or had any problems with it, at least so far...

geek_Man
January 26th, 2007, 08:36 PM
I use it with Gnome, works great. Got this cool extension for Firefox called Foxytunes or something and you can control a bunch of different media players (including AmaroK). Volume, play, pause, next song, last song, stuff like that. I recommend it.

Sammi
January 26th, 2007, 08:42 PM
Does anyone know if theres a panel applet that can control amarok? or a way to set up the player control keys on my logitech keyboard to control amarok?
You can set key shortcuts in Amorok here: settings -> configure global shortcuts

Very easy :KS

AvgUser
February 22nd, 2008, 05:24 PM
Running Ubuntu Hardy (with all the latest updates as of this post) and this issue Still apparently exists. I did see where you can config the del shortcut manually, however this was not for the Amarok player and I must be overlooking the config file to accomplish this task (not listed in any of the "shortcut" options. If I configure [manage files/delete file...] to "delete files instead of moving to the trash" everything is fine, however there is no going back. Choosing to send files to the trash brings up the old "Could not start process Unable to create io-slave: klauncher said: Unknown protocol 'trash'." dialogue.

Now, I understand this is developed as a KDE app, but there are a LOT of people using this on Gnome. Where can a person really alter this behavior and actually use the "trash" on Ubuntu's Gnome based OS? I would be happy to document the process for newbies, I just need to be able to accomplish the task before documenting...

Is there a Solution yet?

mick222
February 22nd, 2008, 05:28 PM
i use amarok but like Exaile a lot especially the plugin that puts album artwork on your desktop.

samwyse
February 22nd, 2008, 06:39 PM
Running Ubuntu Hardy (with all the latest updates as of this post) and this issue Still apparently exists. I did see where you can config the del shortcut manually, however this was not for the Amarok player and I must be overlooking the config file to accomplish this task (not listed in any of the "shortcut" options. If I configure [manage files/delete file...] to "delete files instead of moving to the trash" everything is fine, however there is no going back. Choosing to send files to the trash brings up the old "Could not start process Unable to create io-slave: klauncher said: Unknown protocol 'trash'." dialogue.

Now, I understand this is developed as a KDE app, but there are a LOT of people using this on Gnome. Where can a person really alter this behavior and actually use the "trash" on Ubuntu's Gnome based OS? I would be happy to document the process for newbies, I just need to be able to accomplish the task before documenting...

Is there a Solution yet?

kdebase-kio-plugins has the trash io-slave. This will however use the freedesktop trash standard (that supports trash restoring), but Gnome doesn't support it. So you'd have to use Konqueror or Thunar to empty your trash.