PDA

View Full Version : Wasn't Edgy supposed to introduce AIGLX?

matthias_k
October 26th, 2006, 04:01 PM
Wasn't AIGLX and its integration into Metacity (by default!) be supposed to be THE feature of Edgy (at least on the desktop, upstart was of course another one).

I didn't read anything about it in the release announcement.

Wolki
October 26th, 2006, 04:28 PM
Wasn't AIGLX and its integration into Metacity (by default!) be supposed to be THE feature of Edgy (at least on the desktop, upstart was of course another one).

AIGLX is enabled by default.

A compositor using AIGLX is, however, not in AIGLX. It basically exists, but is not compiled into edgy for build reasons and because it does not work in general.

I'm also unure whether there will ever be a working compositor in Metacity... right now noone seems to be working on it.

PriceChild
October 26th, 2006, 05:50 PM
AIGLX is in edgy... there's just nothing to use it installed by default ;)

I think that a compositing metacity is in the pipe line.

Please remember though that ubuntu is meant to be scalable for a large base of hardware. Low-end machines just wouldn't function if this were default.

Follow my howto to install beryl or another's to install compiz if you want.

bruce89
October 26th, 2006, 05:56 PM
I'm also unure whether there will ever be a working compositor in Metacity... right now noone seems to be working on it.

http://cvs.gnome.org/viewcvs/metacity/src/compositor.c?view=markup

jdong
October 26th, 2006, 06:00 PM
The underpinnings (AIGLX) is already enabled in Edgy by default (kind of annoying for fglrx'ers but that's another can of worms)

It's just that there is no compositing manager enabled by default. There is compiz in the official repositories that works with AIGLX, so you can get started with 3d desktop right from Ubuntu repositories.

Personally, I like beryl better (and its settings manager is awesome), and it can be installed from beryl-project.org's instructions with minimal invasiveness to Edgy.

Wolki
October 26th, 2006, 06:08 PM
http://cvs.gnome.org/viewcvs/metacity/src/compositor.c?view=markup

http://mail.gnome.org/archives/desktop-devel-list/2006-October/msg00314.html

bruce89
October 26th, 2006, 06:18 PM
http://mail.gnome.org/archives/desktop-devel-list/2006-October/msg00314.html

I realise that Metacity's compositor wasn't going to have all the (useless) features of Compiz et al., but only the ones which would benefit usability.

Wolki
October 26th, 2006, 06:39 PM
I realise that Metacity's compositor wasn't going to have all the (useless) features of Compiz et al., but only the ones which would benefit usability.

Yeah, that was exactly what I wanted too. Stuff that makes the desktop look nice and improves handling of stuff, but nothing that hinders usability and efficiency like compiz without severe tweaking.

The problem is, someone needs to actively develop it. And it seems like the metacity compositor's main developer quit, and noone else has volunteered yet.

matthias_k
October 27th, 2006, 07:09 AM
Thanks for your feedback.

I had an SLED 10 release candidate installed on my desktop PC, it had XGL + Metacity pre-installed, you could enable it by a single switch. It worked out of the box with only very minor flaws (with my Radeon9800 that is).

Are you sure this is a metacity thing? I remember reading in the GNOME 2.16 release notes that Metacity is pretty much ready for 3D desktop eye candy, but then again, I'm no GNOME developer so I'm not sure of course.

MedivhX
October 27th, 2006, 10:00 AM
One stupid question: Do beryl and compiz work better with XGL or AIGLX???

chaosgeisterchen
October 27th, 2006, 10:28 AM
It's quite the same.. for everyday work, AIGLX works a lot better and Beryl runs evenly fast with it.

@AIGLX: Runs very nicely on my machine, finally.

Nonno Bassotto
October 27th, 2006, 11:37 AM
What is more stable: Compiz from the repos or Beryl from Beryl-project? And which one is faster?

jdong
October 27th, 2006, 04:10 PM
One stupid question: Do beryl and compiz work better with XGL or AIGLX???

If your card supports AIGLX, typically it's the way to go.... Xgl still has some minor issues, such as the inability to connect back to GDM for logout options.... Sometimes after locking the screen the CTRL key sticks, Shift+bksp zaps the X server unless you execute xmodmap, in which case you lose the ability to switch VT's... I can go on :)

TheRingmaster
October 27th, 2006, 04:13 PM
is there a difference between xgl and aiglx?

raublekick
October 27th, 2006, 05:07 PM
Will using Beryl + AIGLX work with the NV driver? The instructions on beryl-project don't say you have to install the nVidia driver, but it seems like it wouldn't work all that well without it.

jdong
October 27th, 2006, 05:16 PM
No, the nv driver won't work with AIGLX because it does not support 3D rendering at all.

raublekick
October 27th, 2006, 05:24 PM
No, the nv driver won't work with AIGLX because it does not support 3D rendering at all.

Figured as much, hopefully i can get the driver working in Edgy!

shining
October 27th, 2006, 05:37 PM
Please remember though that ubuntu is meant to be scalable for a large base of hardware. Low-end machines just wouldn't function if this were default.

I thought the purpose of aiglx was to help the cpu by delaying stuff to the graphic card.
So I hope I totally misunderstood, because otherwise aiglx would be a miserable failure :)

MedivhX
October 27th, 2006, 07:15 PM
So is nVidia GeForce4 MX440 enough for AIGLX + Beryl??? And should i install nVidia driver series 1.0-9*** or 1.0-8*** (because 1.0-9*** installs XGL)

PriceChild
October 27th, 2006, 07:19 PM
I thought the purpose of aiglx was to help the cpu by delaying stuff to the graphic card.
So I hope I totally misunderstood, because otherwise aiglx would be a miserable failure :)AIGLX is installed... and usable. It doesn't hamper performance at all for anyone not using it fully.
So is nVidia GeForce4 MX440 enough for AIGLX + Beryl??? And should i install nVidia driver series 1.0-9*** or 1.0-8*** (because 1.0-9*** installs XGL)I advise you to use my guide with the beta 9xxx drivers and aiglx.

MedivhX
October 27th, 2006, 07:22 PM
Is it in your sig??? The ''Beryl on Edgy'' one???

PriceChild
October 27th, 2006, 07:27 PM
Yeah: http://ubuntuforums.org/showthread.php?t=263851

MedivhX
October 27th, 2006, 07:41 PM
Thanks!!! As soon as i get the new Edgy i will do so!!!

Spif
October 27th, 2006, 07:50 PM
Edgy is the best distro ever. Have AIGLX and Beryl running flawlessly on my machine:)

MedivhX
October 27th, 2006, 07:54 PM
This is offtopic but i noticed that many ppl have avatar with IceWeasel. Does that mean they hate Firefox???

TheRingmaster
October 27th, 2006, 07:59 PM
This is offtopic but i noticed that many ppl have avatar with IceWeasel. Does that mean they hate Firefox???
no they just hate the foxes. lol

jdong
October 28th, 2006, 03:35 PM
Naw, I think it's a fad right now to sport IceWeasel apparel because IceWeasel still sounds cool :)

chaosgeisterchen
October 28th, 2006, 03:39 PM
Or because of the cool icon, but we better stop being offtopic.

@MedhivX: I have seen people running AIGLX/Beryl flawlessly with a GeForce 2 MX/400, does that answer your question?

jdong
October 28th, 2006, 03:49 PM
Or because of the cool icon, but we better stop being offtopic.

@MedhivX: I have seen people running AIGLX/Beryl flawlessly with a GeForce 2 MX/400, does that answer your question?

I also run AIGLX/Beryl with a MX440.... Only issue is fullscreen 1280x1024 video playback sometimes is laggy with Beryl, in which case I just temporarily switch back to Metacity while doing movie watching. Other than that, desktop effects are very smooth.

Perfect Storm
October 28th, 2006, 03:53 PM
I only turn it off for serious gaming stuff.
Sometimes it hardfreeze my computer if I exit a 3D game, so I switch to metacity when gaming.