PDA

View Full Version : Xubuntu 6.10 Late... AGAIN

racoq
October 26th, 2006, 02:12 PM
I'm writing this thread to say how shame it is (not to say a lack of respect to all Xubuntu Users), what is shown once again how xubuntu, is second to all other distributions.

Edgy was release for other distros and not for Xubuntu. I think that Ubuntu developers should give a better support to Xubuntu.

Many times it is said that Ubuntu plays an essential roll on, on computers provided to African institutions, that don't came with a pre installed OS

Some of those PCs can be used and old like Pentium II, or AMD k6, do u guys expect to see Ubuntu, with gnome or kde installed there?

Of course, not [-( , they won't run because:
THOSE DISTROS EAT RESOURCES

I think that it should be given a more respect to Xubuntu users instead,
when they go to xubuntu site on the day that all the distros should be released, and see the following message

"Xubuntu 6.10 has not yet been released, but is expected today. If it is released, it will be shown here. However, this version is likely to be the final release." ](*,)

At least one apologie should be given, since it wasn't said that Xubuntu would be released later than other Ubuntu derivates.

This behavior of late releases has been verified in th betas and RC versions.

Ubuntu developers should give more support and credit to Xubuntu, or else some users can be uppset and find other Distros, and then Xubuntu will die.

Another question, why does Xbuntu doesn't have shipit ?

If canonical or Mark, or other, had the idea of creating Xubuntu, at least give a proper support to the distro.

-Rick-
October 26th, 2006, 02:15 PM
Oh dear it's a few hours later ... ;)

mips
October 26th, 2006, 02:29 PM
No need to get your knickers in a knot. Where i am it is still the 26th of October. They never promised an exact time.

Will a few hours or even a day hurt that much.

I think you are being unreasonable.

Jussi Kukkonen
October 26th, 2006, 02:31 PM
At least one apologie should be given, since it wasn't said that Xubuntu would be released later than other Ubuntu derivates.

I didn't see anyone claiming Xubuntu would be released at the same time either... If it's not ready, it's not ready. The choices very likely were:
a) release Ubuntu now, release Xubuntu when it's ready
b) hold all releases until Xubuntu is ready
How would b) help anyone?

maniacmusician
October 26th, 2006, 02:32 PM
yes he is, and also not taking into consideration that the xubuntu team is very weak. They don't even have as many people as Kubuntu (which is also totally volunteer-based), so it would be a miracle if they released on time. They are way understaffed. If you want to move it along faster, join the team and do something abou tit

mips
October 26th, 2006, 02:38 PM
I dunno what you are moaning about anyway as it is out already, the servers/mirrors (shame) are probably still syncing.

Have a look for yourself:
http://cdimage.ubuntu.com/xubuntu/releases/6.10/release/

kvonb
October 26th, 2006, 02:42 PM
"There's no pleasing some people!"

"That's what Jesus said sir :D"

mozetti
October 26th, 2006, 02:46 PM
C'mon, we're talking about a difference of a few hours.

Get a grip, man. There are better, more productive things your energy could be put towards.

racoq
October 26th, 2006, 03:07 PM
The point is that Xubuntu is not geting the same support as some of you guys also pointed out.

The Xubuntu team should be reinforced, and it won't be me that will make the Xubuntu team strong, i'm doing works on my own on helping in the Xubuntu artwork, i also contribute in helping improving their wiki web pages.

I think that Xubuntu in some systems, is the only anwser for older systems, not Gnome or KDE, so its critical.

So when we talk Ubuntu will be released, is Ubuntu, Edubuntu, Kubuntu and Xubuntu. Xubuntu is part of the Ubuntu family... and should be released at the same time.

Of course i'm not saying to delay the other distros, i'm asking more "firepower" to Xubuntu

One of things its unfair is why all other releases can be ordered by the shipit process and Xubuntu not.

No one has awnsered this question...

This demonstrate the lack of support and shows also that something should be done

What i'm trying to show is, that Xubuntu is behind other inferior distros like zenwalk (that also has XFCE) in the distrowatch.com, and its popularity and comunity could increase, if it had more suport.

mips
October 26th, 2006, 03:49 PM
So when we talk Ubuntu will be released, is Ubuntu, Edubuntu, Kubuntu and Xubuntu. Xubuntu is part of the Ubuntu family... and should be released at the same time.

One of things its unfair is why all other releases can be ordered by the shipit process and Xubuntu not.

No one has awnsered this question...

This demonstrate the lack of support and shows also that something should be done

They were released at the same time, let it go now.

Shipit initially only shipped Ubuntu, no Kubuntu. Then later Kubuntu was added probably because it was not as polished as Ubuntu and maybe a lack of demand.
Edgy will NOT ship via shipit all irrespective of whether it's Ubuntu/Kubuntu/Xubuntu. They are only shipping LTS releases now and i suspect by the time of the next LTS release Xubuntu might be included but this is just my opinion.

If anything should be done then more people that want/like Xubuntu should contribute their talent & time to the project.
Kubuntu only has one paid staff member and i would say Kubuntu gets stronger/better with every release. All the other people are volunteers !

We don't live in an ideal world, the sooner you realise this the happier you will be ;)

racoq
October 26th, 2006, 05:39 PM
Ok you have a point

However how much members are pain in XUbuntu? Zero? Is it an comunity driven only distro?

I think it is time, if responsable persons of Ubuntu, want to push Xubuntu ahead to start paying someone to at least lead the whole Project (and only that project).

Or prabably the good staff are on KUbuntu and Ubuntu side. Lets face it, the KDE and Gnome comunity is Huge, and everyone wants to work that. So Canonical should "reward" people willing to work in XFCE & Ubuntu (i think it would worth it, know 1 or 2 examples of entreprises that use xubuntu as their DE).

Come on... you must agree that Xubuntu needs support from both the sides (its not only, the comunity own fault)...

bruce89
October 26th, 2006, 05:52 PM

The issue is that Xubuntu is not supported by Canonical.

To quote the Xubuntu site:

Xubuntu 6.10 has not yet officially been released, but you can already download the final version here. Be aware though, that there may be some problems upgrading from the Dapper Drake version when using update-manager.

racoq
October 26th, 2006, 06:01 PM
The issue is that Xubuntu is not supported by Canonical.

To quote the Xubuntu site:

Maybe the problem is there, giving a control of a distro only to the comunity without any control, or financial reward can be a wrong move. It can work well, or not..

But hey... It's Canonical who knows which support it must give to each distro (or not)

I sure hope that xubuntu survives, i love this distro