PDA

View Full Version : your Edgy impressions

Gargamella
October 26th, 2006, 01:02 PM
i am downloading Edgy,but i think i will wait probably a few days before installing it.
Please tell me your impressions about it.

;D

frodon
October 26th, 2006, 01:05 PM
All worked out of the box for me except some problems with te generic kernel but it was if the RC release 1 week ago and this should be solved.

whiterabbit
October 26th, 2006, 01:21 PM
I've had it running for a few days now and it's probably the best and most suitable desktop distro I've ever tried. Albeit, I had to install a few essentials but because apt-get is so painless, this was a piece of cake. My hat goes off to the Edgy devs this time. It's a clear step up in my opinion.

gruffy-06
October 26th, 2006, 01:25 PM
Installed it last night and bootup was faster. GNOME runs faster too and has some different sounds. There are now 20,000 packages too!

Edgy is a bit more of the same, though. Dapper users don't have to upgrade at all.

dezavoo
October 26th, 2006, 01:28 PM
i am downloading Edgy,but i think i will wait probably a few days before installing it.
Please tell me your impressions about it.

;D

Hello there...!! I upgraded online to Edgy Eft 6.10 from dapper, it's cool. I didn't have any problems with "Edgy" :cool: But there is problem with jre with firefox 2. Hope I'll find a way out....!!

arox
October 26th, 2006, 01:31 PM
I tested RC version last week and there's the same problem with my keyboard which was in Dapper = crap

Lexam
October 26th, 2006, 01:42 PM
It works great for me except for a few things. I've already done a bug report so hopefully it will be fixed.

My main problem is I can't get Edgy to mount my SD card, it recognizes it but won't mount. Dapper did this automatically. I'm wondering if it has something to do with the way it boots up.

taurus
October 26th, 2006, 01:48 PM
It works great for me except for a few things. I've already done a bug report so hopefully it will be fixed.

My main problem is I can't get Edgy to mount my SD card, it recognizes it but won't mount. Dapper did this automatically. I'm wondering if it has something to do with the way it boots up.
Can you at least mount your SD card by hand, from a terminal?

maniacmusician
October 26th, 2006, 01:55 PM
I'd like to know how it went for people who dist-upgraded. I installed dapper for a friend recently, and I'm debating whether I should let him do a dist-upgrade or re-install it for him.

Klaidas
October 26th, 2006, 01:56 PM
Currently downloading it :)
Getting myself a backup, burning a cd and then installing it! :)

bruce89
October 26th, 2006, 02:02 PM
There are now 20,000 packages too!

This is mainly (completely) thanks to Debian.

Edgy = 20,881
Dapper = 19,503
Breezy = 18,496
Hoary = 17,199
Warty = 14,693

whiterabbit
October 26th, 2006, 02:10 PM
maniacmusician:

I did a dist-upgrade. I had a few issues with x but with a little tweaking, it was up and running in less than ten minutes. No issues since then.

J77
October 26th, 2006, 02:16 PM
My fonts on emacs are a bit, well, edgy... in the clarity.

J77
October 26th, 2006, 02:43 PM
It doesn't pick up on my network connections either :lol:

wishyjr
October 26th, 2006, 02:44 PM
I'd like to know how it went for people who dist-upgraded. I installed dapper for a friend recently, and I'm debating whether I should let him do a dist-upgrade or re-install it for him.

i agree, im really interested to know how dist-upgrade goes with edgy -last few versions have always binned my system.

roderikk
October 26th, 2006, 02:48 PM
Installed it last night and bootup was faster. GNOME runs faster too and has some different sounds. There are now 20,000 packages too!

Edgy is a bit more of the same, though. Dapper users don't have to upgrade at all.
Well, I consider Edgy to be a major improvement over Dapper. Not that I was disappointed with Dapper, but it is (again) a leap forward. So I do think it could be benificial to update your existing install. Even when it is just to take advantage of all the new packages.

BTW I tried to install edgy during beta but couldn't, so I downloaded the 6.06.1 version and did a server install, updated my sources.list to edgy, dist-upgraded and installed the ubuntu-desktop metapackage. This worked fine for me. Now my installation is running with the NVidia beta driver and of course Beryl.

Good luck!

J77
October 26th, 2006, 02:49 PM
The main program that I use for my work - Matlab - is still causing the xserver to crash/reset.

Same problem I had with 6.06LTS.

I think I'll stick my old Breezy back one - that worked nicely =D>

btw: the File system checked failed on Edgy - fsck died.

v8YKxgHe
October 26th, 2006, 02:54 PM
I'm sure it would be great if I could install it on my machine, but doesn't look like it will happen. I'm not liking the new usplash, it looks like someone has taken the Ubuntu logo and turned it into a Lolly pop and the actual words Ubuntu look like they have cut out in 5 seconds with all the jagged edges.

Lexam
October 26th, 2006, 02:57 PM
I'm sure it would be great if I could install it on my machine, but doesn't look like it will happen. I'm not liking the new usplash, it looks like someone has taken the Ubuntu logo and turned it into a Lolly pop and the actual words Ubuntu look like they have cut out in 5 seconds with all the jagged edges.

Have you thought about getting on the Ubuntu Art Team? I've seen your work from the quote you have and it is really good.

I like the new boot up, but for the login screen and splash I've already changed those to my personal preference. :)

v8YKxgHe
October 26th, 2006, 02:59 PM
Thanks Lexam, no I havn't actually thought about it. Maybe I will soon - see if I have time!

Spyware
October 26th, 2006, 03:22 PM
just installed ubuntu 6.10

I like it a lot, and now testing it

and what you think about ubuntu 6.10

orb9220
October 26th, 2006, 03:30 PM
Been using for the last month on a 1.3ghz 640mb with a fx5200 nvidia card.

Using beryl with all the fancy effects on a dual monitors. A few bugs related to gnome a few specific to applications but overall stable and running great.

Tsukasa
October 26th, 2006, 03:45 PM
dist-upgraded from Dapper today.
I'm pretty much disappointed about the state of the system.

When booting I get an error message about a faulty udev script (a new one, that is!), in addition the udev rules are partially softlinked and reside in places they don't belong (logitech in /etc/udev/ with a softlink to /etc/udev/rules.d - what's the point of this?).

Enabling composite out of the box is evil for ATi users like me. I had to add the corresponding entries to the xorg.conf to disable it and although it wasn't a big deal I didn't realize at first (Debian does not behave this way).

Had to re-add my Printer to get it working, scanner drivers for SANE will follow. QT-Pixmap engine is terribly slow and goes hand in hand with the overall slow and cpu hungry X.org.

Replacing bash with dash wasn't that much of an improvement either (my personal opinion) so I changed it back immediatly.

A word about the status of the repositories: I can't build-dep mplayer anymore. The number of packets may have grown but I sure had a better experience with Dapper.

Overall I wouldn't recommend people to upgrade at this stage. But maybe that's because I used dist-upgrade and the system wasn't stockware anymore.

Perfect Storm
October 26th, 2006, 04:23 PM
Aye, it seems like a dist upgrade that went bad.

Myself: Clean install a week ago or so added 9xxx nvidia beta driver and beryl and things still running smooth and fast. No problems here.

mips
October 26th, 2006, 04:28 PM
I err on the safe side, download the iso and do a fresh install. Works everytime unlike a distribution upgrade which people carry on performing.

taurus
October 26th, 2006, 04:31 PM
Threads merged..

happy-and-lost
October 26th, 2006, 04:44 PM
The login jingle gets sillier with every rerelease... and IMHO the colours do too. The general colour in Edgy is muddy salmon pink. All else is good though, I've noticed a subtle improvement as far as speed goes (In my box at least) and I'm in LOVE with FF2 :D

Perfect Storm
October 26th, 2006, 04:47 PM
How's the speed of FF2? Is it improved? (I always use Epiphany, so I don't have anything to compare with).

happy-and-lost
October 26th, 2006, 04:56 PM
I'd say it's a bit faster, but it's the overall useability and UI which make it such a pleasure.

bazzer
October 26th, 2006, 05:22 PM
Sorry to be a party pooper here but I just don't think it 'looks' different enough to be a new release. I'm still a n00b, so I suppose you can all take what I say with a pinch of salt. However, I can't see many differences between it and dapper drake.

I've hunted and I can't find the reason why - so maybe someone here knows - no new artwork? The bits I saw about 6 weeks back looked cool, and I was expecting them to greet me!

puppy
October 26th, 2006, 05:27 PM
Edgy itself is lovely and very polished, but the versions of some of the applications that install with it can be a bit ropey - of course that's bound to be the case because Edgy has been the showcase for lots of beta/testing versions of various applications.

Two obvious examples: a lot of people are reporting problems of menu fonts in OO being *really* ugly on TFT panels, and Firefox 2.0 is a little bit crashy for some...

Bezmotivnik
October 26th, 2006, 05:40 PM
Installed the release version last night after it came out.

Incredibly, astoundingly, wireless is even worse than in v6.04 -- which was (in the view of a large majority of those polled here) even worse than in v5.10.

I mean...WTF, people??? Is this supposed to be progress?

This is a total deal-killer. If I can't get wireless up, I can't do the rest of the install w/Automatix. ](*,)

IYY
October 26th, 2006, 06:09 PM
Sorry to be a party pooper here but I just don't think it 'looks' different enough to be a new release. I'm still a n00b, so I suppose you can all take what I say with a pinch of salt. However, I can't see many differences between it and dapper drake.

I've hunted and I can't find the reason why - so maybe someone here knows - no new artwork? The bits I saw about 6 weeks back looked cool, and I was expecting them to greet me!

The idea was, from the very beginning, to make mostly ``under the hood'' changes in Edgy, and then have major graphical improvements in Edgy+1. The next release will be all about the end user, don't worry. :)

DigitalDuality
October 26th, 2006, 08:34 PM
d

Perfect Storm
October 26th, 2006, 08:38 PM
Don't you think it's because everybody is downloading and upgrading at the same time?

BLTicklemonster
October 26th, 2006, 08:58 PM
I can do an edgy impression of Rodney Dangerfield, but I need to drink some espresso first.

DigitalDuality
October 26th, 2006, 09:00 PM
d

Aranel
October 26th, 2006, 09:05 PM
I'd tried and failed to install Dapper before, so I was sort of reluctant with Edgy. I crossed my fingers as I deleted and replaced the partitions containing my previous Debian Sarge installation, but this time it actually worked! I'm very impressed so far; not only was I able to get my wireless card (a Broadcom 4306 chipset, no less) working in a matter of a minute or so, but my printer took even less time to configure. This is better than any distro I've yet used - I had to completely recompile my Debian kernel before for wireless support; I was not a happy camper - and everything works as advertised so far. My hat goes off to the devs... Edgy is simply amazing.

SlugO
October 26th, 2006, 09:11 PM
my impressions?

I've been a huge fan of ubuntu since i first tried it. In fact i still am, but i'm very very pissed off.

Doing an upgrade from kubuntu dapper to edgy has taken.. get this ::drum roll:: 23 god damned hours. You heard right, 23 solid hours. This has never happened on an upgrade before ever.

not only that be it reverted gaim back to it's older version (beta4 to beta3), and it broke my damned nvidia setup which i can't seem to fix.. i can't even get into X right now to do have the crap these tutorials are advising me to.

this sucks.Dist-upgrades are not without their problems and a clean install is always a clean install.

I remember when I updated 5.10 to 6.06 that my X got broken too. Apparently it had not installed all the nvidia packages. Changing the driver from nvidia to nv in my /etc/X11/xorg.conf got it working again. Then just installed rest of the nvidia packages and changed xorg.conf back.

Just wondering, are there any distros out there that can upgrade between distribution releases so well that the installation is as good as a fresh one? Seems to be one of the hardest things to do... :-k

DigitalDuality
October 26th, 2006, 09:16 PM
d

Perfect Storm
October 26th, 2006, 09:18 PM
yeah, i know why it went slow i had no idea it'd be THAT slow. Nice to sit on my *** and wait for that long so most of my software could be downgraded, and then the stuff that was upgraded broke my system. superb job with the rollout. just superb.

Well. There's a boom of ubuntu users that's one of the reason (that can also been seen by hoe many members we are on the board (from may to November we got 80.000 more members), so imagine how many people who uses Ubuntu out there who doesn't use the forum. So it's a good idea to wait a week to upgrade/download.

Secondly, Edgy doesn't have free CD shipit, so alot more people who downloading.

Bittorrent anyone?

As always it can be trouble to do a dist-upgrade. There's always a risk.

DigitalDuality
October 26th, 2006, 09:35 PM
d

AlphaMack
October 26th, 2006, 09:37 PM
PPC user here (PowerBook G4 w/ ATI Radeon 9600).

Clean installed Edgy, got wireless up in no time, all(?) of the needed codecs, and other programs...

There is one slight problem. I keep Planet Penguin Racer around for the girlfriend and under Dapper it used to work great provided I reconfigured X to not enable the framebuffer driver.

Upon launching PPRacer in Edgy, the screen is choppy again. Unfortunately when I try to reconfigure X the monitor is all messed up - even using the open source ATI driver - and I have to escape to the CLI to restore the xorg.conf backup. Any ideas?

graabein
October 26th, 2006, 09:41 PM
Well my first impression is not so good.

The theme manager is f***ed up so it's pretty much impossible to get a proper theme cause I can't see what options I have. The list is either blank or scrambled and when I go to theme details nothing happens in either control or icon tab. ](*,)

And I don't like the big orange emblems. They're too much alike so I can't easily see the difference between my music and movie folders and say my picture or camera folders. :evil:

Tomboy used to start on login but does not anymore. When I start it from the menu nothing happens. :-k

Firefox, Gaim, Banshee and F-Spot all look good enough and the boot time is better. :-?

Edit: Here's the $ gnome-theme-manager output:

(gnome-theme-manager:7157): Gtk-WARNING **: Theme file for gperfection2 has no name

(gnome-theme-manager:7157): Gtk-WARNING **: Theme file for gperfection2 has no directories

Looks like I have to edit some resource file and remove notes about that theme. Any ideas where I can find it?

dpaint4
October 26th, 2006, 09:47 PM
I will be ready to give you my impressions in "2 days, 19 hours, and 30 minutes."

MedivhX
October 26th, 2006, 09:47 PM
By this last post, it looks like the new Ubuntu is disappointing a bit... Sorry if I mistake...

Gargamella
October 26th, 2006, 09:53 PM
it seems a good one, however i have to back up see you then

.t.
October 26th, 2006, 10:00 PM
I haven't had any of these problems! And remember the slowness is essentially a good thing, as it just shows the increasing popularity of this wonderful distribution!

John.Michael.Kane
October 27th, 2006, 02:07 AM
So who here has made edgy their full time OS dropping dapper completely?

darkhatter
October 27th, 2006, 02:13 AM
am I the only one with good impressions on Edgy. The artwork is better then it was on dapper, it boots faster, because it uses the 2.6.17 kernel (or later) my nforce jazz all works now. Beryl is still a little funny, but that should change when they release a new version. If I could of got Maya running on it I wouldn't have uninstalled it.

P.S. solved the problem. From what I can see some lib is linked against gcc 4.2 so Maya isn't loading, that should be fixed soon so I guess I try it again later when it goes stable

mushroom
October 27th, 2006, 04:13 AM
Upgraded a while back; I love it. Everything works very well, and Compiz & Xgl in the universe repo runs swimmingly, even in KDE. Excellent job, devs. Be prepared to see another donation from me in the near future.

viper
October 27th, 2006, 08:48 AM
To all the Dev`s, fantastic job guys n gals, had a few hiccups with X, fixed those, now to start diggin deeper so far so good.:D

FyreBrand
October 27th, 2006, 09:03 AM
So who here has made edgy their full time OS dropping dapper completely?Me. I'm really happy with the distribution.

I did an upgrade a few weeks back and it went pretty bad. So I did a fresh Dapper install and then a full upgrade and it went much better. I'm going to nuke the partition now that the release is done and do a completely fresh install.

There are so many subtle improvements. Go back to Dapper? Nevah!

kerb
October 27th, 2006, 09:06 AM
The upgrade process had a few hiccups, had to remove some packages and run dist-upgrade three times before it resolved things perfectly. And I had a problem with subpixel hinting in gnome-terminal and firefox, though I found a workaround for that.

Apart from this, edgy is very good. Much faster for me, programs are updated etc :) I'm pleased

TrendyDark
October 27th, 2006, 09:09 AM
Does anyone know if 'ndiswrapper' package issues have been resolved? I use 'ndiswrapper' to connect using my wireless and if I can't use it, I'm not upgrading :-/

Circus-Killer
October 27th, 2006, 09:35 AM
i upgraded to RC1 about a week and a bit ago. Everything worked out really well. I am quite happy with edgy. My only problem was ATI's lack of support for composite, so i had to disable it. Other than that, everythings going smoothly.

I have downloaded the installation disc, and tonight i'm gonna do a fresh install just for the hell of it. :)

chaosgeisterchen
October 27th, 2006, 10:30 AM
Impressions so far:

Random freezes, but my Wireless-NIC is detected and works without any problems. It's very fast although I use the lousy kubuntu-desktop package. I will wait for my nVidia and then try a server install, postinstall Kernel 2.6.18.1 and put kde-core onto it.

Rackerz
October 27th, 2006, 11:05 AM
My impressions so far; Excellent, everything is finally working for me even the wifi card on my laptop worked! Beryl/Compiz are running alot better than they did in Dapper. I am loving Edgy.

The only problem I had was getting Fglrx running properly but when I found a guide on how to get it going everything started running great :D.

macogw
October 27th, 2006, 11:30 AM

Don't let him. I tried it and Nautilus (along with a few other apps) broke. Unless he likes navigating with the command line, either leave it on Dapper or do a clean install. Edgy's not even necessary, really. Dapper's just fine.

BLTicklemonster
October 27th, 2006, 11:43 AM
Don't let him. I tried it and Nautilus (along with a few other apps) broke. Unless he likes navigating with the command line, either leave it on Dapper or do a clean install. Edgy's not even necessary, really. Dapper's just fine.

Could you quantify that statement? What is there about edgy that the average Ubunter or "just above" average Uberubunter would see different between the two?

pelle.k
October 27th, 2006, 11:51 AM
In general, the base system is OK. It seems build-essentials and the generic headers are installed by default (that way you can compile ndiswrapper or a source driver if you've got no ethernet), but this new ndiswrapper "solution" or whatever one should call it totally sucks! Why can't i just apt-get ndiswrapper and get the damn utils and modules? :/

Ubuntu did work great, although i can't imagine how that login "sound" made it to final artwork. It's so unprofessional!

I was unfortunately very disapointed with the new Kubuntu though. Lot's of annoying bugs everywhere :( This isn't what you expect from a release. And I have to say i really don't like how kubuntu is dumbing everything down for you. The new control panel is one example, i had neither "power options" or "perhaphial devices" availiable. Also, I really don't like the artwork in kubuntu edgy (this is really in the eye of the beholder...).

I haven't tried Xubuntu out yet.

macogw
October 27th, 2006, 12:50 PM
Could you quantify that statement? What is there about edgy that the average Ubunter or "just above" average Uberubunter would see different between the two?

Faster bootup, new Gaim, new Firefox. That's all I've really seen. Maybe if it had worked right to upgrade, there'd be more I can say, but right now Nautilus doesn't work at all and Gnome is really messed up, so that was no perk.

If Dapper works just fine, there's no need to upgrade because if you think about it, Dapper's going to be supported for a while after Edgy is. If you don't want to be upgrading every 6 months (and it seems upgrading is a pain the rear), why not stick with Dapper until it's time runs out?

bleh I used the update manager to redo the upgrade and Nautilus is still broken....I'm gonna try a reboot

EDIT: after rebooting both Nautilus and Gnome work! Yay! Now to figure out why BugBuddy just popped up about /usr/libexec/gswitchit Blender and Inkscape are still out of commission :(

Gargamella
October 27th, 2006, 02:06 PM

you have to understand that Dapper was released a few months ago...so it is quite normal it is similar to it... but you can't understand at first sight some improvements that, as they say (i did not install it yet), there seem to be.

Anyway i want to update and update will be.
:-D

warlorddagaz
October 27th, 2006, 03:00 PM
I like it - I haven't noticed loads of difference, but I like the new splash screen, and the logon sound is awesome.

I did have a small problem when it first booted, because the x-server wouldn't start. but after uninstalling and then reinstalling the NVIDIA driver (I used envy) it worked fine.

I can't really think of any reason not to upgrade, but I am new to Ubuntu (and linux full stop), so I'm no expert

punkinside
October 27th, 2006, 03:41 PM
The jury is still out for me. I'm actually thinking going back to dapper. Almost everything has needed an unnecessary amount of tweaking. From the ATI drivers, through installing the same theme I had in dapper, to the MyEclipse installer not working... Some icons refuse to be replaced by the ones in my theme (trash, network, etc..)

Well... it would be a shame to have wasted so many hours, ill keep at it.

The boot up screen is nice though, and I'm sure ATI's to blame for the rest.

TeeAhr1
October 27th, 2006, 04:15 PM
So far so good. I had problems with screen res and video drivers in the RC release, but they seem cleared up (the res, at least, we're gonna try the drivers tonight). Boots so much faster than Dapper it's ridiculous, Gnome 2.16 is very snappy and responsive, unlike previous releases where Nautilus bogged me down a lot. And my roommate's wireless card works in Edgy, and it didn't in previous releases! But the damn Nethack-gnome package is broken! Mood of the moment: Cautious optimism.

Handssolow
October 27th, 2006, 04:30 PM
Upgraded from Dapper with essentially no problems. It took a while to download last night though, guess it's down to the bandwidth and numbers of folk downloading.

Congratulations to all concerned. :)

Gargamella
October 27th, 2006, 04:36 PM
Upgraded from Dapper with essentially no problems. It took a while to download last night though, guess it's down to the bandwidth and numbers of folk downloading.

Congratulations to all concerned. :)

yeah it is.When i downloaded Dapper it has been released for a month, i got it at about 170kb/s,
yesterday i downloaded it at about 70kb/s

Polygon
October 27th, 2006, 05:13 PM
yeah it is.When i downloaded Dapper it has been released for a month, i got it at about 170kb/s,
yesterday i downloaded it at about 70kb/s

well.. i finally got the update/install finished, and when i restarted teh computer i cant start up as it give me some error that fsck died...... (literally) then i get some x server error and i just turned the computer off =/

raublekick
October 27th, 2006, 05:57 PM
I think it's been said enough, but it doesn't seem to be sinking in: Edgy is an "under-tha-hood" release. I think that all the changes that aren't immediately apparent are much bigger than any surface change could be.

Gnome 2.16, AIGLX, Upstart, etc... such nice changes!

Everything that worked in Dapper still works in Edgy, so I can't really complain. Haven't tried the nVidia driver yet, but I couldn't get it working in Dapper anyways.

.t.
October 28th, 2006, 07:17 PM
Well, I have no problems and I run Edgy full time. I'm still discussing whether or not to run Feisty in a VM or as my main system, as I did with Edgy. Something tells me it's going to be more chaotic...

tribaal
October 28th, 2006, 07:20 PM
No problems at all with Edgy.
Guess I chose my hardware well, and had luck, too.

I'd heavily suggest doing a fresh install, though, it's just a tad longer, but I bet it'll save you lots of headaches.

Flawless.

- trib'

awakatanka
October 28th, 2006, 08:02 PM
One laptop without problems freshly installed kubuntu, still tesing stabiltity. Desktop failed totaly 1st tryed upgrade that was a no go and a freash install was also a no go.

I simply didn't expected this kind of troubles on my desktop, dapper runned good on it. ( Had some troubles with dapper on laptop if if i remember correct )

I'm going back to mepis with both, keep kubuntu next to mepis on laptop just for some testing.

I just dunno what to say.. about edgy:-# :-k

Sirin
October 28th, 2006, 08:37 PM
I used the update-manager (Intarweb install). It only installed half of the packages, but I was able to install the rest with Synaptic. So far it works like a charm. :)

There's just too much to like in this new release, especially the new startup/shut-down sound. :)

zorkerz
October 28th, 2006, 08:49 PM
I did a dist-upgrade to edgy with no serious problems. I am not longer useing dapper. Everthing worked fine immediatly except for a few firefox issues all of which could be by bypassed by useing epiphany for the time being. I am still attempting to get java to work with firefox 2.0.
good luck all

compuguy1088
October 28th, 2006, 10:01 PM
Installed the release version last night after it came out.

Incredibly, astoundingly, wireless is even worse than in v6.04 -- which was (in the view of a large majority of those polled here) even worse than in v5.10.

I mean...WTF, people??? Is this supposed to be progress?

This is a total deal-killer. If I can't get wireless up, I can't do the rest of the install w/Automatix. ](*,)

I'de have to disagree, in some parts. Wireless response, at least with my ipw2200 is more stable, with less connection drops, though the firmware resets are still around. Though I personally think they should update the ipw2200 driver to the latest stable version, 1.2.0. Overall my upgrade went with a few hitches, but nothing that nuked my system. Edgy seems a tad more responsive, and murrine engine looks even better now. The only wish I had (which will never happen) is if the SiS xorg driver gets better support....oh well...

tedrogers
October 28th, 2006, 10:13 PM
I think it's better than Dapper...but I don't like the way you can't remove the text below the icons in Synaptic.

I also had lots of problems with fglrx and my ATI card...basically my Ubuntu Boot screen was all fuzzy and the system would crash when I did a CTRL+ALT+F1!

http://ubuntuforums.org/showthread.php?t=93715

The above link sorted it all out! Now, apart from synaptic, I'm chuffed. The repositories are much easier to manage as well.

When are they gonna put VLC player in by default though?!?

alejandrops
October 28th, 2006, 10:25 PM
I am a little dissapointed with Edgy.
did a dist-upgrade before the final release and after some struggle i managed to make edgy working ok, but dome apps not (like F-spot).
whe edgy final was out I did a clean install and foud than, even when dapper successfully recognized my notebooks screen (ati x1400) resolution, edgy failed and gave me a 1024x768 vesa screen-
Well, I installed ati drivers and now have a really functional desktop. but some software is not working OK, f-spot crashes when importing pics (why???), my synaptic touchscreen lacks a way to disable clicking when tapping, desktop colours are awful compared with pre release wallpaper, beagle not installed... well, edgy in the bad way, for me at last.
I dont know, maybe I was hopping being as surprised as when I tryed dapper.

BLTicklemonster
October 29th, 2006, 03:07 AM
I downloaded edgy and installed it on a blank drive, and used the reiser (I think) formating for my hard drive, and it's amazing how quick it is. I installed envy and ran it to get my nvidia up, then set my buttons and all for my mouse and messed up on one little line, and x would not start. Being bothered left and right by my family during it all, I goofed and dpkg-reconfigured x instead of editing X11/xorg.conf and from that point on, nvidia did not work at all ever no matter what. Vesa, nv, nvidia, all worked but were horribly choppy no matter what I did.

Seeing as how it's a clean install, I decided it would be quicker to do a reinstall than to search the forums for the right answers to my problems and then attempt to make them stick.

So I am reinstalling and will not make the same mistake twice this time.

Tux Aubrey
October 29th, 2006, 03:47 AM
A bit of pain, but great.

the BEST thing is that I now have a chance to get a top score in Mahjong before my wife wipes me off the board again. A brief window of opportunity before what's left of my manhood is crushed again. Woohoo!

BLTicklemonster
October 29th, 2006, 03:49 AM
Okay, I got it this time. woot. Now onward through the fog.

blastus
October 29th, 2006, 05:38 AM
I now use Edgy and it is great. :)

I had no problems other than crappy looking fonts in Firefox and OpenOffice.org due to some anti-aliasing issue. Firefox was easy to fix, OpenOffice.org I don't know. The installation of Edgy took about 35 minutes, more than twice as long as Dapper at about 15 minutes but that's not a big deal.