PDA

View Full Version : how to install seperate windows partition from external dvd/rw

dhawk312
October 26th, 2006, 05:21 AM
I recently had some laptop hardware issues, namely my internal dvd burner randomly stopped working and had to replace the HD. Both in the same day. I reinstalled Ubuntu which is my primary OS but I still need to keep a partition of XP for programs like SPSS and such. I tried to install XP off my recovery DVD but it loads to a dos prompt with a:/ or something like that. How can I install XP from an external DVD/RW drive? I checked the XP support but there were no answers or even any posts on this issue. And just to clarify...the XP recovery DVD is booting but it is loading to a dos prompt so my pcs bios are already configured properly.

tturrisi
October 26th, 2006, 10:38 PM
Did you make your own recovery cd? If not, then the setup files used by the recovery cd are on the old hard drive! If you have an image made by Norton Ghost you can boot w/ a ghost floppy or ghost cd & point it to the image to restore.

dhawk312
October 26th, 2006, 11:32 PM
I have the recovery DVD that restores the partition to factory settings. This is NOT an issue of lacking the recovery software that most computer companies waste HD space using. I have done this several times in the past without any problems. My issue is booting and installing the DVD from an external DVD/RW bc my internal drive does not work. (Btw Edgy installed flawlessly from the external drive)