PDA

View Full Version : I just had a dream

TheRingmaster
October 25th, 2006, 05:59 PM
what if the Opera browser was open-sourced. I wonder what it would be like. Would more people use it?

Kurt`
October 25th, 2006, 06:02 PM
If someone made equivalents of Flashblock, Adblock, and NoScript, I probably would.

qalimas
October 25th, 2006, 06:02 PM
I would. Opera is actually my absolute favorite browser. I don't like how far they went with 9 (to be fair, I haven't actualy used it), but I LOVED 8. It's the fastest, coolest browser I've ever used. I love the way tehir email and IRC and everythign is so tightly put together, and in such a light download. I use Opera on Windows, becquse teh look fits in. However... if it were open-source, I'm sure they'd have an ice, integrated QT look in KDE, and I'd surely use it! But I'm somewhat of an eyecandy ***** :D

tubasoldier
October 25th, 2006, 06:03 PM
what if the Opera browser was open-sourced. I wonder what it would be like. Would more people use it?

Possibly, what if you could convice them to opensource it? And would Debian shun it if it had a trademark on the logo?

EdThaSlayer
October 25th, 2006, 06:03 PM
I guess so since opensource usually mean more bugs being fixed faster and more features being added...

bruce89
October 25th, 2006, 06:04 PM
And would Debian shun it if it had a trademark on the logo?

That is not the issue with the whole Debian-Firefox thing.

I would like Opera's rendering engine in Epiphany if it were made free software. In other words, I like the rendering engine, but not the GUI.

chaosgeisterchen
October 25th, 2006, 06:28 PM
I would rather appreciate Konqueror getting a decent plugin-system.

Brunellus
October 25th, 2006, 07:34 PM
I would rather appreciate Konqueror getting a decent plugin-system.
but Konqueror Kannot do such a thing! Kan't you See that it is perfeKt already?

chaosgeisterchen
October 25th, 2006, 07:36 PM
You're about to be very ironic? I miss the plugin interface so much, it's sad to see it not being very extensible. It's somehow against KDE ideals.

skymt
October 25th, 2006, 07:45 PM
If someone made equivalents of Flashblock, Adblock, and NoScript, I probably would.

Opera 9 has two out of three:

* Adblock = Block Content

* NoScript = Site Preferences

For Flashblock, I recommend a little tool called "dpkg". As in "sudo dpkg -r flashplugin-nonfree" ;)

Brunellus
October 25th, 2006, 07:47 PM
You're about to be very ironic? I miss the plugin interface so much, it's sad to see it not being very extensible. It's somehow against KDE ideals.
I was being facetious, yes.

grizzly
October 25th, 2006, 08:01 PM
If someone made equivalents of Flashblock, Adblock, and NoScript, I probably would. there is a very fine css flashtoggle somewhere. Just search the Opera forums for flashtoggle or "toggle flash"
For adblock > there is content banner blocker (http://operawiki.info/OperaAdblock), just rightclick => "block content"
Noscript > Opera has this builtin as well! First F12 => disable javascript/java/whatever. Now to allow javascript for specific sites simply go the required site and rightclick > "edit site preferences" => "scripting" tab and enable

chaosgeisterchen
October 25th, 2006, 08:04 PM
I was being facetious, yes.

Good to know. One will see what KDE devs decide.. it's time for some really hard-winning plugin-interfaces for KWin and Konqueror.

TheRingmaster
October 25th, 2006, 09:17 PM
there is a very fine css flashtoggle somewhere. Just search the Opera forums for flashtoggle or "toggle flash"
For adblock > there is content banner blocker (http://operawiki.info/OperaAdblock), just rightclick => "block content"
Noscript > Opera has this builtin as well! First F12 => disable javascript/java/whatever. Now to allow javascript for specific sites simply go the required site and rightclick > "edit site preferences" => "scripting" tab and enable
but I want it done for me like adblock filterset g-updater

Gargamella
October 25th, 2006, 10:13 PM
i used it for a long time i loved it,but i fill as its new versions are a bit too heavy...i like more the simplicity and the firefox interface