PDA

View Full Version : Good, Cheap , Linux capable all in one printer?

Old Pink
October 25th, 2006, 04:47 PM
Hi there,

I have a Lexmark X2350 from my windows days, the smallest all in one printer, starting at just £30/$50.

I need an alternative that will work in Linux, for roughly the same price. Must include printer and scanner, and run natively in Ubuntu. :)

Any suggestions, anyone?

zachtib
October 25th, 2006, 04:59 PM
Hi there,

I have a Lexmark X2350 from my windows days, the smallest all in one printer, starting at just £30/$50.

I need an alternative that will work in Linux, for roughly the same price. Must include printer and scanner, and run natively in Ubuntu. :)

Any suggestions, anyone?

I'm guessing an HP will work, but don't take my word on it. I have a Lexmark all in one that can't even print in Linux. I had to bring my mac mini up to school and set it up as a print server >.<

I am also interested in the OP's question, if anyone has an answer

ahaslam
October 25th, 2006, 05:31 PM
I'd say HP too, they're like the Nvidia of Printers ;)
I have an HP Deskjet 845c, it works perfectly with hplip from the repos.
Functions like cartridge alignment, colour adjustment, ink levels, etc are all available in hp-toolbox (included in hplip).

Go HP!

Tony.

tubasoldier
October 25th, 2006, 05:34 PM
I would look into the HP all in ones as well. However, I am a person that when it comes to printers that does not necessarily believe that "Good" and "Cheap" co-exist well together. At least not Lexmark Cheap. HP makes good printers, maybe not as "cheap" as Lexmark but it will sure last longer. Thus making it cheaper in the long run.

Virogenesis
October 25th, 2006, 05:39 PM
http://www.linuxprinting.org/suggested.html

madmetal
October 25th, 2006, 05:47 PM
http://www.linuxprinting.org/suggested.html

;)

skirkpatrick
October 25th, 2006, 05:52 PM
I had just read an article from The Register yesterday where someone had installed an HP All-In-One (can't remember what model) and everything worked perfectly. He did have to use the latest HPLIP, which isn't in the Dapper repositories. I think he said it was a little over $100 US.

skymt
October 25th, 2006, 05:54 PM
I'd say HP too, they're like the Nvidia of Printers ;)

Not quite. My HP Laserjet is not supported in any way under Linux. It took some serious hacking (involving netcat, .ppd editing, and a Mac with launchd) before I could get it working. Please, please, look at linuxprinting.org before you buy.

Old Pink
October 25th, 2006, 06:36 PM
Thanks all. :)

I had just read an article from The Register yesterday where someone had installed an HP All-In-One (can't remember what model) and everything worked perfectly. He did have to use the latest HPLIP, which isn't in the Dapper repositories. I think he said it was a little over $100 US.

I can get a lexmark equivilant for $50, but it wouldn't work. If Lexmark would wake up to Linux, and then maybe charge even just $75, they'd still lead the market.

It's a real shame Lexmark haven't woken up yet, looks like the more expensive HP is my only option. :(

kewldude606
October 25th, 2006, 10:23 PM
I have an Epson Stylys CX3810 that works perfectly in Ubuntu. I just picked the CX3800 as the model number instead of CX3810..

tubasoldier
October 25th, 2006, 10:28 PM
If Lexmark would wake up to Linux

In Lexmarks favor I would like to point out that they did release some development tools for linux drivers.

Nonetheless, I would never use one.

After doing some research I have found that Epson writes drivers for multifuntion printers too. Brother also writes drivers for multifunction printers. However, Brother's drivers are not open source.

HP is not your only option but it is a good one. linuxprinting.org has some great information about reccomended printers.

mips
October 26th, 2006, 12:04 AM
The HP's work just fine. I have an OfficeJet 6213 which I'm very happy with.

For your price range you would have to look at the
HP Deskjet F380 All-in-One series about £50 RRP
HP PSC 1610 All-in-One series £90 RRP

Shot around and see what they cost in real life.

jimrz
October 26th, 2006, 02:31 AM
The HP's work just fine. I have an OfficeJet 6213 which I'm very happy with.

For your price range you would have to look at the
HP Deskjet F380 All-in-One series about £50 RRP
HP PSC 1610 All-in-One series £90 RRP

Shot around and see what they cost in real life.

have an hp psc1610...everything (print/scan/copy) works fine under dapper (also when ran breezy). might be a bit above your desired price range. haven't really noticed lately, but not very long ago you could still find the psc1310 and 1510 models (need to search around a bit) for about what you are looking at.

firenurse4
October 26th, 2006, 06:31 AM
have an hp psc1610...everything (print/scan/copy) works fine under dapper (also when ran breezy). might be a bit above your desired price range. haven't really noticed lately, but not very long ago you could still find the psc1310 and 1510 models (need to search around a bit) for about what you are looking at.

I am using the same HP printer as well and have had no problems with it. The card reader works as well.

slimdog360
October 26th, 2006, 09:59 AM
I still cant find a cheap bubblejet printer (could also be laser but they are always more expensive) which has an auto duplexing function.
The only printers which do this in linux are about $1000. I could even handle a good manual duplexing. If I cant find one I may have to fork out for turbo print.

pwn2king
May 3rd, 2008, 11:58 PM
I have an HP2175 printer/scanner/copier and it works fine right out of the box. But I'm having trouble reading the ink level. It should fall within your $ range, as it is several years old and was about 100.00 when I bought it.

cardinals_fan
May 4th, 2008, 12:03 AM
HP OfficeJet 7310 All-in-One.

ezsit
May 4th, 2008, 01:23 AM
I have an HP Officejet 5610 all-in-one printer/scanner/fax and the HPLIP software that comes with Ubuntu since 6.10 has detected and installed my HP unit just perfectly everytime. I am now on 7.10 and all features work as excepted. I made sure to buy a model without memory card slots since I heard those were not well supported, but this may have changed.