PDA

View Full Version : Ebay, security, linux and firefox

stig
October 25th, 2006, 04:34 PM
Does anyone know of security problems caused on Ebay by using Linux and/or Firefox to access the site as a buyer (instead of Windows and IE)?

After one week as a buyer I have been suspended for what Ebay UK describes as "the severe nature of the policy breaches on your account". They won't tell me what these "breaches" are and I've no idea what I'm supposed to have done. I only bought a few items for a few pounds each and sent personal checks immediately to pay for them.

So I begin to wonder whether using non-windows, non-IE software creates an impression at the Ebay website that I am doing something insecure or fraudulent. Otherwise, I can't think of anything that could have triggered the reason for the suspension.

bruce89
October 25th, 2006, 05:34 PM
Does anyone know of security problems caused on Ebay by using Linux and/or Firefox to access the site as a buyer (instead of Windows and IE)?

After one week as a buyer I have been suspended for what Ebay UK describes as "the severe nature of the policy breaches on your account". They won't tell me what these "breaches" are and I've no idea what I'm supposed to have done. I only bought a few items for a few pounds each and sent personal checks immediately to pay for them.

So I begin to wonder whether using non-windows, non-IE software creates an impression at the Ebay website that I am doing something insecure or fraudulent. Otherwise, I can't think of anything that could have triggered the reason for the suspension.

I think you should ask ebay themselves for an expaination, I don't see how they could take a Linux/Firefox combination as a security risk.

tubasoldier
October 25th, 2006, 05:38 PM
I avoid ebay. It was cool at first but now with all the crap ebay stores around its hard to actually find those great deals that used to exist.

ssalman
October 25th, 2006, 05:53 PM
I use firefox all the time including when I'm on ebay (both on my XP and Ubuntu PCs). I bought multiple things using FF and never got into trouble.

I think there are other issues here, give ebay a call and get to the bottom of this.

stig
October 26th, 2006, 12:18 PM
I think you should ask ebay themselves for an expaination, I don't see how they could take a Linux/Firefox combination as a security risk.

Ebay have not said it is due to Linux/Firefox - they will not tell me what the supposed "breach" is. I cannot identify anything I have done wrong, so I am still looking for a reason. I have asked them several times in replies to their emails but they do not give a reason.

I use firefox all the time including when I'm on ebay (both on my XP and Ubuntu PCs). I bought multiple things using FF and never got into trouble.

I think there are other issues here, give ebay a call and get to the bottom of this.

That's useful to know - that other people can access Ebay OK with Firefox on Linux. Thanks. You say "give Ebay a call" - do you have a telephone number for them? I cannot find any phone numbers on the site - but now that I am "supsended" I can only access the public pages and cannot login to the other pages (And they won't let you register again when your are suspended - and if you try to register under another name they say they consider that to be a breach of the Agreement).

Before first registering, I read everything I could find on the Ebay site about agreements, policies, FAQs etc. But now I realise that there is more buired in the site that you don't easily find at first (and most people would never search as much as I do - I'm a bit fanatical about checking and security). You find that in addition to the Agreement there is Revisions to the Agreement listed elsewhere on the site. Both the Agreement and the Revisions also have lists of FAQs which elaborate on the Agreement. If you read the Agreement and tick "agree" you are agreeing to things not actually listed on the Agreement page.

Then besides the Agreement there is "Policy". And FAQs about Policy. For example the following:

"Q. What does Section 7.3 of the User Agreement regarding Your Information mean?
A. Section 7.3. To enable eBay to use Your Information, you grant us a non-exclusive, world-wide, perpetual, irrevocable, royalty-free, sublicensable (through multiple tiers) licence to exercise the copyright, trade mark, publicity, and database rights you have in Your Information, in any media now known or not currently known. You also waive all moral rights you have in Your Information to the fullest extent permitted by law."

George Orwell and Aldous Huxley were wrong when they feared the power of the state in the future. It is the power of several big commercial, particularly internet-based, organisations we should be worried about. Or perhaps Orwell and Huxley were really right - some of these organisations are beginning to look remarkably like the totalitarian communist states.

And in the meantime I feel like a character in a Franz Kafka novel.

Thank goodness we have Ubuntu and its principles!

weasel fierce
October 26th, 2006, 04:10 PM
I use epiphany for ebay and use it pretty extensively. I doubt its related to your browser