PDA

View Full Version : What is the name of your computer(s)?

Pages : [1] 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10

senectus
April 12th, 2005, 05:46 AM
Was just wondering..
For example I use the name of Characters from a series of Novels by Glen Cook called "The Black Company".
My main desktop is "one-eye" my G/F's PC is "white-rose" the server is "bigbucket" and my little laptop is "goblin".

professor_chaos
April 12th, 2005, 05:52 AM
Before running linux, when I was running M$, I called it a piece of sh**.

Now I call it Lazarus

TravisNewman
April 12th, 2005, 05:55 AM
My machine is Eniac, when I got my Mac I called it Univac. When my fiancee and I moved in together, she thought it'd be funny to call hers Abacus, because her computer is so slow.

Eniac and Univac were two of the first major computer landmarks, and an abacus, for those who don't know, is a pre-electricity way of adding without doing it in your head or on paper. With sticks and beads and such

dare2dreamer
April 12th, 2005, 06:03 AM
While the reasons for it are long and sordid, my current naming convention consists of somehow-relevant female mythological beings whose names begin with the letter "E".

So, with a little work we have:

echo - The jukebox, named from Greek myth.
evaki - My desktop, named for a South American Indian Goddess of Night and Day.
eve - A fileserver, named because she serves every network type including apple.
erzulie - Primary laptop, named for a Vodoun Loa of lust. (known for getting around.)

I'm thinking of eventually redoing my naming scheme so that all my machines are named for female supervillain sidekicks, just because I'm amused with the idea of calling my main machines harley and mercy.

Yes, my girlfriend thinks I'm weird too. Of course this is coming from a woman in possession of a laptop named after a stuffed animal.

skoal
April 12th, 2005, 06:40 AM
I never thought about doing this before. I guess I call her 'ole grey skin. I lost the screws to the case and banged it up a bit over the years. A couple layers of duct tape keeps 'her' together for me.

KiwiNZ
April 12th, 2005, 06:49 AM
Now come folks , naming your computers, now thats crazy, naming your car yes naming your favourite shoes yes but your computer ???:-P:-\"

Ubunted
April 12th, 2005, 07:02 AM
Ever since Strong Bad got "Lappy 486", I've taken to calling mine "Lappy 686". Not all that origional but it works for me.

As for the tower... I think I'll call it "Flo" for the six case fans and Thermaltake Volcano 12 I stuck in it. :grin:

kassetra
April 12th, 2005, 07:05 AM
I have geisha, maiko, and geiko ... :)

Dragonfly_X
April 12th, 2005, 07:25 AM
Before running linux, when I was running M$, I called it a piece of sh**.

LOL! I did the same... :smile:

Slapdash
April 12th, 2005, 07:34 AM
Mine is Called STATION like in Bill and Teds Bogus Journey.

A-star
April 12th, 2005, 07:45 AM
I call mine Earth, the other one I call Moon.
My workgroup was called Milkyway (when I was still using WIndows that was).

poofyhairguy
April 12th, 2005, 07:51 AM
My toshiba laptop is called "the brick," my iBook is "clammy" and my desktop is "sterling."

nocturn
April 12th, 2005, 09:42 AM
LOL! I did the same... :smile:

My past windows machines where named crash95 and crash98, matching the wincrash version they were running.

nocturn
April 12th, 2005, 10:47 AM
My server: Nocturnus (derived from my nick)
My workstation: Cronos (the god of time)
My wife's workstation: bobby (her choice)

Some other names:
Centrion (from Battlestar galactica, not Roman)
Nemesis (the godess of revenge)
Anubis
Hal
Prometheus
Taranis

fng
April 12th, 2005, 10:49 AM
all characters from southpark

gateway (p100 running a freebs-kernel) : Kenny
desktop (amd 2.8 running hoary): Butters
laptop (powerbook g4 running mac os 10.3.8) : Timmy
mom's desktop (amd 1.2 running hoary) : Token
Lan q3 server (p2 333 running suse 7.x) : Chef

That q3 server is a very old install, i just never get around for upgrading it.
Why should i? it just works :)
Plugging in the box on a lan-party -> ssh into it -> setting op the servers with 1 command -> never have to look at it again :)

paretooptimum
April 12th, 2005, 10:51 AM
I name mine after small countries/islands. Nice tropical islands I like to visit on vacation are for users (eg kohsamui, oahu). Servers are named after famous military islands (eg crete, malta).

I remember reading a book on samba where the author named his servers after characters in Larry Niven's Ringworld.

TjaBBe
April 12th, 2005, 11:10 AM
I use boring names with gk in the start (gk are my initials) like:
- gkDesktop for (you probably guessed) my desktop.
- gkLaptop for (oviously) my laptop.
- gkDaemon for my server, this is the only one I actually like a littlebit as Daemon stands for "server" and it is running FreeBSD (FreeBSD's mascotte is a demon).

I'm thinking of using chars from LOTR. Then it would be like:
- Gandalf for my desktop. As this is the most multimedia (flashy, magic) system I possess.
- Sam for my server. As it serves :).
- Gollem for my laptop. As it is small, and acting a bit nasty concerning linux.

primeirocrime
April 12th, 2005, 11:34 AM
my pc is mongrel. he is just like my cats.

bigzak
April 12th, 2005, 12:11 PM
My desktop machine is Maverick, to complement my (now defunct) file server called Goose. My old laptop was Lampoon, replaced with HunkaJunk, and now Fireblade ('cos it's nice an' fast an' new). HunkaJunk is still around but hardly used due to slowness.

My work machine is Caspar, and previous jobs had machines called Spider1, Shrew and Eriador (complemented by Mordor, my 'debugger' box).

Juergen
April 12th, 2005, 12:26 PM
My next box will be 'Joey' because all other names from 'Oggy and the Cockroaches' are already used :-)

as Daemon stands for "server" and it is running FreeBSD (and freebsd's mascotte is a devil).No. Beasty is a demon - what a coincidence ;-)

TjaBBe
April 12th, 2005, 12:30 PM
My next box will be 'Joey' because all other names from 'Oggy and the Cockroaches' are already used :-)

No. Beasty is a demon - what a coincidence ;-)

Whoops mis-typed, I get confused sometimes ;).

Glanz
April 12th, 2005, 12:39 PM
Thule, SimpleCity, WTF, Kanookia

CrustyDOD
April 12th, 2005, 01:43 PM
1 is called Elefant and other 1 Naked Elefant..

defkewl
April 12th, 2005, 02:25 PM
I call my Laptop lexer, I picked it up after a Quake 3 champion.
I call my server streambuffer because I own that domain on the internet. I picked it up from C++ function.

mike998
April 12th, 2005, 02:38 PM
Server: Ariadne
Workstations : Wolfspider and Camelspider
Workgroup : thenest

Anyone seeing a pattern?

Yukonjack
April 12th, 2005, 04:19 PM
My pc's name are Borg and Northstar.

jdodson
April 12th, 2005, 04:47 PM
this is a cool thread.

my new desktop is "moe"
my laptop is "disco-stu"
and my test machine is ..... well i really dont have a name for that. maybe i should come up with one.

basically my naming scheme is other simpsons characters. i could name an entire grid that way.

Nis
April 12th, 2005, 06:01 PM
So far I only have one computer to name and that is "machina". A little play on it being a machine and "the hand of God" (which is me when things are going my way :))

kassetra
April 12th, 2005, 06:06 PM
Server: Ariadne
Workstations : Wolfspider and Camelspider
Workgroup : thenest

Anyone seeing a pattern?

Yeah, EW EW EW EW. To each his own, but smash them! spray them! EWWWW!

darkoptix
April 12th, 2005, 06:17 PM
darkstar is my main computers name, and my router is named router.

dataw0lf
April 12th, 2005, 06:59 PM
darktower - main workstation (Ubuntu)
gilead - file / web server (Debian)
roland - email / authentication server (FreeBSD)
crimsonking - media server (Ubuntu)
midworld - router (OpenBSD)
gunslinger - laptop (Ubuntu)

paul cooke
April 12th, 2005, 07:26 PM
Now come folks , naming your computers, now thats crazy, naming your car yes naming your favourite shoes yes but your computer ???:-P:-\"

so how is your machine distinguished on the network then???

still called ubuntu???

This one is big-box
the server is cooke-one
the laptop is lappy
the one I'm building will be a bit more imaginative... maybe some fictional inspiration required here...

Genua
Lancre
Djelibeybi
Klatch
XXXX (a windows machine I keep for some games I've paid good money for and can't give up)

and make the new server "CoriCeleste"

at least it's easy to change their names (as long as you remember to go around and sort out the dns entries in all the /etc/hosts files...)

ZeFroG
April 12th, 2005, 07:29 PM
My Hard Drive is "Bibiche" :p
My PC is "Thermal-Georgette"

I Know that's stupid but I love them :p

sas
April 12th, 2005, 07:53 PM
Mine are named Bacardi and Smirnoff :) As Smirnoff is what I was drinking when I installed Smirnoff and Bacardi just kind of followed on....

trash
April 12th, 2005, 08:00 PM
Bigmac and Littlemac... but lilmac has just passed..rest in peace lilmac :cry:

kiddo
April 12th, 2005, 08:01 PM
Heehee ^^ mine are currently named Kirika, Khloé (some people might know the relation there), Kitsune, Kairi...... XD naming computers sure looks like an anime-fan obsession to outsiders, but it's such a better way of recognizing them quickly in a LAN :)

poofyhairguy
April 12th, 2005, 08:16 PM
and my test machine is ..... well i really dont have a name for that. maybe i should come up with one.

If you are trying to do things the Debian way (great to do for fun things), then the appropriate name is Nelson...

mike998
April 12th, 2005, 09:25 PM
Yeah, EW EW EW EW. To each his own, but smash them! spray them! EWWWW!

Yah - but my last name is kinda spider related... I just went with that...

somuchfortheafter
April 12th, 2005, 09:47 PM
no fair dude my lappy is named darkstar and the server is darkserver, and the main gaming desktop is darkloard, i have the series lol.

arctic
April 12th, 2005, 09:53 PM
i always give my boxes historical names. as i studied history, it seemed to be a logical solution for me. so far i have:

main i686 box: scipio
i686 laptop: perikles
g4 powermac: xerxes
secondary i686: attila

Stormy Eyes
April 12th, 2005, 10:02 PM
Was just wondering..
For example I use the name of Characters from a series of Novels by Glen Cook called "The Black Company".
My main desktop is "one-eye" my G/F's PC is "white-rose" the server is "bigbucket" and my little laptop is "goblin".

I name my machines after female characters from a set of stories that I write. My machine is named astarte, after the protagonist's household AI, and my wife's is named ashtoreth after a sorceress who's most at home manipulating human passions.

HungSquirrel
April 12th, 2005, 11:04 PM
I name my machines after friends of mine. Silly, I know.

My cousin names his after persons and places in the LOTR books. He has an elrond, a gandalf, a moria, etc.

baza41
April 12th, 2005, 11:37 PM
My Dell Ubuntu box is called, 'Barbelith'.

terrien
April 12th, 2005, 11:43 PM
I name mine after the song I was listening to when I set the hostname...

Desktop is InTheShadows (Story Of The Year)
Laptop is Holiday (Green Day... If you diddn't know that then that's just sad :grin: )
Server is TropicalLondon (Rancid)...

Random, but oh well...

Brunellus
April 12th, 2005, 11:58 PM
This one is nosferatu.

BWF89
April 13th, 2005, 12:05 AM
I've never named a computer. But I call my bike the Pimpster, because it has shocks on it and I like to make it go up and down and pretend I'm in a pimped out car.

RastaMahata
April 13th, 2005, 12:05 AM
Eleanor and Marsha...

Eleanor: 1967 Shelby Mustang GT 500
Marsha: 2000 Porsche Boxster

If I ever get a laptop, it will be called Gina:

Gina: 1990 Lamborghini Diablo

If you havent seen gone in 60 seconds, you will never understand ;)

kassetra
April 13th, 2005, 12:13 AM
Yah - but my last name is kinda spider related... I just went with that...

Makes absolute sense... but that doesn't mean it doesn't creep me out... EW EW EW. heh.

Brunellus
April 13th, 2005, 12:35 AM
if I get a laptop, I've already decided to name it achates, after Aeneas faithful companion. (a comrade, not a dog, although in high school Latin we always used to imagine fidus Achates as a little dog trotting behind pius Aeneas)

TravisNewman
April 13th, 2005, 12:50 AM
dataw0lf-- I may be the only one here who gets your naming scheme, but I love it.

kassetra
April 13th, 2005, 01:04 AM
dataw0lf-- I may be the only one here who gets your naming scheme, but I love it.

You both are Stephen King fans then... or just Dark Tower fans?

k.ODOMA
April 13th, 2005, 01:27 AM
All my boxes are named after characters from Princess Mononoke (ashitaka, yama-inu, etc.). That's where my user name comes from as well (sort of).

mark
April 13th, 2005, 01:27 AM
Hmm...nothing outlandish here:

Desktop: symbiote
Laptop: symbiote-jr

The last professional (as in for commercial use) server I was responsible for I named nikola_tesla. I also had a print server and a test server named coke and gollum, respectively, after two of the leading "characters" from the book The Soul of a New Machine (the first two prototypes of the Eagle, or MV/8000 Eclipse series from Data General).

wmcbrine
April 13th, 2005, 07:38 AM
Mine are named after female pop singers, with a few exceptions.

mike998
April 13th, 2005, 02:09 PM
Makes absolute sense... but that doesn't mean it doesn't creep me out... EW EW EW. heh.

It was a flash of brilliance, really. My last name is Ince (as in incy-wincy-spider - did I ever get tortured with that when I was a kid) and when I was setting up my home network, I decided to go with a spider naming scheme. I now need to find another spider god for another server... Hmmm... What was the name of that spider god in American Gods...?

dataw0lf
April 13th, 2005, 02:13 PM

Word. I love the Dark Tower series, and Stephen King in general. Critically, he's probably one of the most underrated writers of our time. I think of him as a cross between Dickens and Twain.

la-karaviro
April 13th, 2005, 07:28 PM
So, mine is KARASKISTE

and that comes from my name in the Virtual World la-karaviro and means Kara's Box
on german, cus im from a german spoken land :) as my english shows

carlc
April 13th, 2005, 10:15 PM
Word. I love the Dark Tower series, and Stephen King in general. Critically, he's probably one of the most underrated writers of our time. I think of him as a cross between Dickens and Twain.

I agree the Dark Tower series is great, or at least what I have read of it. I have read the first three and have WIzard and the Glass but am taking a break from the series to read "The Fall" and "The First Man", both by Camus.

my pc name- BLACKBOX13

MasonM
April 13th, 2005, 10:47 PM
I never thought about doing this before. I guess I call her 'ole grey skin. I lost the screws to the case and banged it up a bit over the years. A couple layers of duct tape keeps 'her' together for me.

I had to laugh when I read this one. I thought I was the only person in the world who's lappy was held together with duct tape. :-P If you can't fix it, duct it.

As for names, I just call my lappy Betty. No special reason, just fits.

Tsjoklat
April 13th, 2005, 11:01 PM
My main computer: Persephone, my others: Poseidon, Zeus and Hades :) (And yes, Hades is a windows rig)

Sense a theme here?

D

dataw0lf
April 14th, 2005, 12:11 AM
I agree the Dark Tower series is great, or at least what I have read of it. I have read the first three and have WIzard and the Glass but am taking a break from the series to read "The Fall" and "The First Man", both by Camus.

my pc name- BLACKBOX13

Wow, you should get into Wizard and Glass ASAP! It's the best book in the series, IMHO.

telmo
April 14th, 2005, 12:17 AM
I call my laptop animal.

Rodrigo
July 6th, 2005, 05:50 PM
I cally my PC: Makina, and the others from my bussines:
babosada(has kubuntu), cerota(dont want to run ubuntu), niña buena(has never give me a problem) y cochina(every body uses it).

Adios

aerials
July 6th, 2005, 06:50 PM
Right now I'm calling my computers after the character code names from Reservoir Dogs, eg. mr. pink etc.

Here we go:

brown - notebook running hoary
pink - desktop running windows xp (I will get rid of that machine once my docking station arrives)
white - server
orange - nas
blue - virtual machine I need on the laptop for school use (access, visual studio, oracle...)

But since I'm soon running out of colors (in reference to Reservoir Dogs), I'll have to think about something new (or just forget that movie reference ;) )

MetalMusicAddict
July 6th, 2005, 09:59 PM
Hack, Slash, Dash and Ash.

It started with Dash because I couldnt name my PC "-". I usually put in "-" when I need to enter info but I dont wanna use personal info. So "-" became Dash then I just started rhyming them. :)

WirelessMike
July 6th, 2005, 10:52 PM
So far, mine are named:

Metropolis (Ubuntu workstation / admin console)
Gotham (Dual-boot Ubuntu / WinXP Pro home-built)
Central (W2K consumer-grade)

Future names will include Argo, Opal and Keystone

papabean
July 7th, 2005, 12:07 AM
My main box is ellison (named after Harlan, not Ralph).
My backup server is pimini. It stands for Pink iPod Mini. (My wife chose it, it's mostly her files)

Previous names were: clarke, zelazny, silverberg, asimov.

tristan
July 7th, 2005, 12:22 AM
Nerdbox

crashtest
July 7th, 2005, 01:17 AM
Debian Sarge server = chaos
Ubuntu notebook = disorder

gizzmo
July 7th, 2005, 07:41 PM
Sorta a Greek mythology thing going:

Apollo: Domain
Phoenix: Firewall (IPCop)
Zeus: Domain Controller (W2k3)
Athena: SME Server (Linux)
Adonis: Desktop (Kubuntu)
Artemis: Laptop (WinXP/Suse 9.3)

XDevHald
July 7th, 2005, 07:43 PM
Ground-0: Desktop
DDS: Server

JPatrick
July 7th, 2005, 08:44 PM
Desktop: Titan :razz:

musicman2059
July 7th, 2005, 09:10 PM
I'm boring. I have a nature of calling everything "dahbam", like I do my desktop.

ecadre
July 7th, 2005, 10:28 PM
My desktop is called star_city.

The two laptops are vostok and soyuz. I used to have a sputnik.

bami
July 30th, 2005, 07:05 PM
my notebook is called brain, and the server's name is superbrain - they support me keeping things in mind.... :-)

macgyver2
July 30th, 2005, 07:40 PM
Places/things from norse mythology. For instance, the server I used to have that contained all my stuff was yggdrasil (the world tree), my 1.5 kilo notebook is skidbladnir (Freyr's ship that could be folded up to fit in a pocket), and my color printer is bifrost (the rainbow bridge between Midgard and Asgard).

smoon
July 30th, 2005, 07:44 PM
My desktop is called twoflower, the router is rincewind, my VDR's name is conan and the pc of my flatmate is chest.

Brunellus
July 30th, 2005, 08:18 PM
Places/things from norse mythology. For instance, the server I used to have that contained all my stuff was yggdrasil (the world tree), my 1.5 kilo notebook is skidbladnir (Freyr's ship that could be folded up to fit in a pocket), and my color printer is bifrost (the rainbow bridge between Midgard and Asgard).

Yggdrasil Linux? Wow. I hadn't heard that name in ages.

Omnios
July 30th, 2005, 08:28 PM
When I was using windows my computer was named Mainframe like the computer animated tv program. When I started using Linux I abreviated it to Main as Mainfram was to long in the terminal. Now I have to come up with a new one before Breezy comes out possibly inet not shure yet

Dural
July 30th, 2005, 08:31 PM
I generally name my computer(s) after video game characters. For example, my laptop is called Dorkas after a character from Sega's Virtua On.

kleeman
July 30th, 2005, 08:34 PM
Call my main box dual from the bad old days when it was a dual boot. Thankfully removed winblows about 18 months ago and have no withdrawal symptoms at all :) :) :)

kumakun
July 31st, 2005, 05:38 AM
I'm an anime geek so I went with a chobits theme.
Yuzuki (my desktop)
Yumi (my [extremely old] laptop)

My wife went with an Evagelion theme, naming her box Melchior.

We're scrapping our current computers and theme, though.

So, to that end, the 3 new computers will be
Akamatsu (my new desktop)
Watase (my new laptop)
and
Fujishima. (Her new desktop)

Yeah...we're geeks.

bored2k
July 31st, 2005, 05:47 AM
kumakun join the otaku thread http://www.ubuntuforums.org/showthread.php?p=279554#post279554 !

Anyways,

My box is named Noir.
My older box has no name, but I think of her as my Crash.Test.Dummy

KrisDwyer
July 31st, 2005, 05:57 AM
kumakun join the otaku thread http://www.ubuntuforums.org/showthread.php?p=279554#post279554 !

Anyways,

My box is named Noir.
My older box has no name, but I think of her as my Crash.Test.Dummy
unfortunately mine is named after my work - dwyernpayne...

vladuz976
July 31st, 2005, 07:11 AM
call mine "box" that keeps the name in the terminal short;-)

darkmatter
July 31st, 2005, 07:23 AM
My system (which serves as a workstation/testbed/desktop) is the 'Ruler of Men' from Greek mythology -- and her name's Andromeda. :smile:

NeoSNightmarE
July 31st, 2005, 07:35 AM
Mine has the name G14. There's a story to go with it but I'll keep it short. When I was living in NYC, I was in trouble for something computer related with the FBI and they were investigating and what have you. This was back in 2000 btw, and they took my computer that was running Debian at the time. The reason it got the name though was because the agent that I was talking to had the rank of G14...or that's what he told me. Since then I've been using that when naming a computer anywhere. Just thought I would share the history too ;)

Brad wilkinson
July 31st, 2005, 08:49 AM
PIII-733/5.04=Ruth
Dual PIII-800/5.04=Jaxom
Dual XP-M@2600+/5.04=Damia
XP2400+/Windows=XP-Box

The first 3 are named for characters out of Anne McCaffrey novels.
The 4th is just what it is.

Psycho275
July 31st, 2005, 02:09 PM
My desktop machine is called Deimos (and any machines from now on will be named after planets / moons, etc). My main server is called Genesis (The beginning, etc). The server which I am currently building will be called either Sol or Mars (Unless anyone else has any suggestions?).

Galathalion
August 1st, 2005, 03:13 AM
My laptop is called Spike (after Spike from Cowboy Bebop) and its Spike in Japanese, Spiku ^^ Nyaa~~ And my stationary puter is called Kasumi after my favorite character from Dead or Alive.. Neko Neko Chan!! Nyaaa~~

Xian
August 1st, 2005, 03:21 AM
My box is named Spy1.
I never really cared much for Spy2.

DarthBagel
August 1st, 2005, 05:41 AM
The domain name in my house is 'Griffins'

My lappy is 'Stewie'
Desktop is 'Peter'
Firewall is 'lois'

Family guy is awesome

bored2k
August 1st, 2005, 05:45 AM
The domain name in my house is 'Griffins'

My lappy is 'Stewie'
Desktop is 'Peter'
Firewall is 'lois'

Family guy is awesome

Word.
http://www.mwctoys.com/images/review_familyguy1_1e.jpg

kvidell
August 1st, 2005, 05:56 AM
I used to name my boxes based on whatever game I liked at the time that had cool words in it ;P
Max Payne and Deus Ex were my first two targets giving me:
Denton Valkyr Ambrosia Debeers Dowd Gypsy Manderly Savage Valhalla mj12 Wanchai and a few others.
Occasionally I deviated, like my Win2k3 box was "ColdFusion" and for the longest time my Core 3 box was "Valkyrie."

Then I started being a little more random.
Right now I have a Core 3 box named "Wonky", My 1U Breezy servers are "McCoy" and "Eccelston" (I'll let you figure those out), my previous laptop was "PortaKel" and my next server will probably be Tennants.
My next desktop (Gentoo) will most likely be something from The Divine Comedy of Dante Aligheri as I've been reading it again. Hehe.

- Kev

Skel
August 1st, 2005, 06:32 AM
I named mine skel \\:D/

PatrickMay16
August 1st, 2005, 08:10 AM
I call my computer "my computer". But I've been thinking of giving it a nice name.

I know! I'll call my computer "Deven Gallo".

DEVEN GALLO

gray-squirrel
August 1st, 2005, 05:24 PM

C'mon now, ain't nothin' wrong with namin' a computer. After all, since people on MTV name their cars and try to "pimp their ride" there's no harm in "geekin' our boxes" and namin' our computers. . .

Seriously, I might add a few cool mods on the next computer I plan to build later this year. I could name the one I have right now Romeo and the new one Juliet, but I know better than that. hehe. Actually, I may name mine Batman and Robin or something. I'm still undecided right now.

We should name yours cool, cooler, and coolest perhaps. . .

blueturtl
August 1st, 2005, 07:01 PM
I didn't infact come up with my computer's name by myself, but it is never the less a bit embarrassing: stud.

It's because it has a fairly large case (a Compucase CI-6169 to be exact).
In my eyes this is huge for a PC, but modern computers today need bigger cases to handle the heat and space requirements... :-P

edit: Named my girlfriend's laptop "creature". We're Addams Family freaks. Now we're even. :D

JayCnrs
August 1st, 2005, 07:18 PM
I name my PCs after some of my favorite comics:

Laptop - Dilbert
Desktop - Foxtrot

Kind of boring I know.

kvidell
August 1st, 2005, 10:44 PM
Names for computers... you guys need to get a life/girlfriend/cat or something. ;-)

Er, uh, I just call mine Precioussssss.
You mean you've never set a hostname for your system?

That's what _I_ thought we were referring to anyway.
- Kev

Juergen
August 1st, 2005, 10:49 PM
For all those that think naming a computer is silly, I just came up with a nice idea:
Use a numerical scheme...

You could, say, name your box 127.0.0.1 ;-)

Claark
August 2nd, 2005, 02:22 PM
What an intresting thread. I'll contribute.

I do web programing on an automated pharmacy ordering, sorting and shipping system. I called it called BluePill

jouni
September 4th, 2005, 03:35 PM
My desktop is called vaino and my laptop hella. This is a somewhat complicated linguistic joke: "Väinö" and "Hellä" are Finnish given names, but if you remove the umlauts, as you often have to do when dealing with computers, you get the words "vaino" (which means persecution or oppression) and "hella" (cooking stove).

call3
September 4th, 2005, 03:48 PM
my client is named "Uranus" and the server is named "Jupiter"
and my dear (non workin ibook) was named "Luna"

xequence
September 4th, 2005, 04:28 PM
I dont name my computer O_O

Bilko
September 4th, 2005, 04:43 PM
Pc 1 - Feanor, reason - runs Gentoo - it's an Athlon, runs hot and needs some cooling badly (Tolkien nuts will get that one),

Pc 2 - Cirdian - Ubuntu.

Ampersand
September 4th, 2005, 05:02 PM
I name mine (and occasionally other people's) after female androids from animes. My main computer is Kurumi, backup computer is Ropponmatsu, laptop is May, the sgi is Nukunuku. Mahoro, Mew and Mica are currently retired, although I might set them up again once I have the space. I've named a couple of other computers Minawa and Chii after despywaring them for people.

skoal
September 4th, 2005, 06:47 PM
pookems...

\\//_

KingBahamut
September 4th, 2005, 08:21 PM
Bahamut, Tiamat, Oolong, Galarung, Grummsh, Moradin, Hextor, Smaug, Puff, Figment, BigDuo, BigFau, Grundle, Rhindle, Yorgle, Scatha, Fafnir, Zu, and good ole KingGidorah.

kvidell
September 4th, 2005, 08:43 PM
pookems...

\\//_
best system name evar.

I just setup a box for a friend, I named it "Hammersmith" >.> Damned Eddie Izzard.
- Kev

phen
September 4th, 2005, 11:01 PM
i call my laptop "schlepptop", which is pronounced shlaptop. schleppen means carrying something heavy...

but i do not talk to my computer! i am talking about networking names, k? :-)

welsh_spud
September 4th, 2005, 11:08 PM
Im pretty boring, my laptop has the original name of bens-laptop and its domain is HOMENET, catchy hey

NeoSNightmarE
September 5th, 2005, 01:18 AM
Im pretty boring, my laptop has the original name of bens-laptop and its domain is HOMENET, catchy hey
On a computer that I just made for someone I named it Nukes because setting it up was like scheduling a nuclear weapons system for some reason that I still don't understand. Then when I started it back up it installed normal. So it got the name Nukes anyway.

Chadza
September 5th, 2005, 03:13 AM
My music/server comp is babylon4, from the show Babylon 5 (the station that went back in time for the first Shadow War) and then wolf359 for the workstation - the infamous battle when Picard was leadin the Borg.

El_Don_Casper
September 5th, 2005, 03:57 AM
I named my calculator the great equalizer, my laptop the super equalizer and my server the supreme equalizer

Brunellus
September 5th, 2005, 04:26 AM
I named my calculator the great equalizer, my laptop the super equalizer and my server the supreme equalizer
I'm going to chime in, since i'ts been ages. new boxes have been added to the network.

My "nice" computer is named "Funes" after Funes el memorioso, a character in a Jorge Luis Borges short story. Funnily, it doesn't really live up to its name, since it's only got 80gb of hard drive space. I should have saved that for a fileserver, which I guess I wll now have to name aedificium (literally, "building," but the name of the labyrinthine library in Umberto Eco's "The Name of the Rose")

The old computer is called nosferatu...it's a coppermine celeron (ugh!) that has come back from the dead a few times--once rendered unbootable by WinME and viruses, once again after having been trashed by me misunderstanding RPM hell under SuSe, once again during a short-lived warty installation, a clean warty installation, and a somewhat eventful dist-upgrade to hoary.

sir_mud
September 5th, 2005, 04:56 AM
I've been on a Penny Arcade (http://www.penny-arcade.com) kick for quite some time, so my computers get named as characters they resemble. My Desktop is Tycho, my PVR will be Divx, and my ol' 386 is Gabe.

*Edit*
If I could get one of those toasters running BSD I'd call it Fruit F***er

agger
September 5th, 2005, 09:20 AM
Mine is Called STATION like in Bill and Teds Bogus Journey.
I've only got two computers - right now I like naming them as Hindu gods.

My laptop (my own main computer) is called Ganesh, and our family desktop is Lakshmi.

A-star
September 5th, 2005, 09:32 AM
I keep it simple:
My main pc is called EARTH, and the other one is called MOON.

In the next few months I will add another one who I will call SUN.

Perfect Storm
September 5th, 2005, 09:47 AM
Mine is called Universe.

nickless
September 6th, 2005, 01:37 AM
Mine is called meanmachine. I was inspired by judge dredd :D After all the trouble I went through meanmachine kind of fits.
I can't give computers meaningless names :D Don't ask me why. Sometimes I sat 30min. just thinking how to name it...
Also I give my pc a new name with each serious upgrade.

drogoh
September 6th, 2005, 02:16 AM
Personal computers:

tiberium (taken from Command & Conquer, a ficticious element (running FreeBSD 5.4))
protium (the first isotope of hydrogen, aka hydrogen (a small computer scavanged from work running Ubuntu))
deuterium (the second isotope of hydrogen, aka heavy hydrogen (running XP Media Center (gotta have the games!)))
tritium (the third isotope of hydrogen (running Windows XP, currently living in a different state in possession of a parental unit))

Work computers (all below are under my direct control and running a variant of Windows XP unless otherwise specified):

cronus (off-site server running Fedora)
helios (personal workstation)
atlas (internal webserver running FreeBSD)
hyperion (workstation)
epimetheus (workstation)
prometheus (workstation)
iapetus (workstation)

Broad naming conventions are good (periodic table of elements (including isotopes) and Greek mythology). :p

clapton
September 6th, 2005, 02:16 AM
213374u - is a dream, but a cool name that I use
Or sometimes I use my name.

jpkotta
September 6th, 2005, 03:51 AM
I name mine after mathematicians.

cauchy - parents' WinXP machine
euler - my desktop (ubuntu)
goedel - my laptop (ubuntu)
gauss and euclid - some computers I had access to at school last year

Psycs
September 6th, 2005, 04:26 AM
Just like professor_chaos' computer, mine is used to some nasty names, but not because of Windows.

Mine resets for apparently no reason a couple of minutes after start-up, unless if given a good *BANG* with your open palm on the side. :p

The Mekon
September 6th, 2005, 05:58 AM
We have three PCs each of which is named after one of our past or present pets. This PC, running Ubantu and XP Home, is Daisy a lovely old Tabby Cat, the other Linux PC, running Simply Mepis and XP Professional, is Fonze a long departed Tortoiseshell Cat and my wife's PC, running XP Home ( she is addicted to the Simms), is Pierre after our elderly Standard Poodle Dog.

I am using linux as my preferred operating system but still require windows to run my unsupported Canon Scanner and a backup for my wife's computer.

I have just installed Ubantu to replace FC4 which I found too much effort to set up.

gorkhal
September 6th, 2005, 09:46 AM
My lappy a symbol of both fear and order in the republic,

thus aptly named 'DeathStar-Beta', a complete revision of the older death star models,

alas the one-central-thermal-pipe flaw remains...

senectus
September 6th, 2005, 09:51 AM
A while back I had fun with the names on my network..
I named my PC "mine" and my partners "Yours" and the server "theother" and the spare laptop "theother1"

:-D
It cause MUCH confusion.. but it had the desired effect.. My G/F stopped bugging me about fixing her PC.. the whole experience was just TOO PAINFUL for her :-D

Tiede
September 6th, 2005, 09:59 AM
Hmmm... Well, because I have been sooo into Linux from the start, I couldn't help but call my main PC Linuxed. And when I installed Debian Woody on my (now broken :( )laptop, I called it Tuxed... I guess my names don't fall far from the tree :D

niobe_logos
September 6th, 2005, 05:04 PM
I used to do a hackneyed Star Trek theme:

desktop: enterprise
laptop: voyager
palmtop: defiant

After getting rid of those, the pattern changed. The next computer got the name 'discobox' because it was a homebrew upgrade, and the best case I could get was one of those gamer cases with funky lights on the outside. The next laptop got the name 'voyageuse' because I spec'd it for foreign travel.

CTSLICK
September 6th, 2005, 09:22 PM
Desktop=Zims_mothership
PDA=zims_brain
laptop = zimsraider (newly reborn, Ubuntu powered and ready to rock \\:D/ )

Zodiac
September 7th, 2005, 06:55 PM
Laptop 1 = Helion Prime
Laptop 2 = Valhalla

Stormy Eyes
September 7th, 2005, 07:01 PM
Mine resets for apparently no reason a couple of minutes after start-up, unless if given a good *BANG* with your open palm on the side. :p

That sucks.

*looks at Psycs avatar and wants to hug the kitty.*

labs_bane
September 7th, 2005, 07:39 PM
Wallace and Gromit characters!

Lapeth
September 9th, 2005, 06:23 PM
Stationary: Jupiter
Laptop: Saturn

You see there's namespace for a couple more :)

Maniak
November 28th, 2005, 10:06 AM
Mine - WinXP = dads and linux = maniak
Hers - WinXP = mums

Working on converting her to linux.......she is quite stubborn....

drucer
November 28th, 2005, 10:25 AM
My computer's hostname is "northwood". (based on the Intel P4 Northwood processor)

0okami
November 28th, 2005, 03:11 PM
From serial experiments lain...

Desktop computer: "Navi".
PocketPC(siemens sx-66 blue angel): "HandyNAVI"

More details on WHY I chose that name (very interesting read too): http://www.cjas.org/~leng/lain.htm#navi

the whole page is quite interesting if you are really into Serial Experiments Lain...

jc87
November 28th, 2005, 03:33 PM
Stallman-e-Torvalds-limitada , in honor of the two main masterminds behind this great OS.

nsa_767
November 28th, 2005, 03:39 PM
My main box is called "Big Bertha"... Not sure where it comes from but we used to speak of "...Big Bertha has your number...." whenever referring to the government cracking down on someone.

Our other computer is called "Maclaurin" because the case is silver and black... It reminded me of a much disliked F1GP team... Needless to say, I don't used that PC.

My brother owns a laptop which he calls "Ubuntu-Khaia", which translates into "The House of Ubuntu".

earobinson
November 28th, 2005, 03:43 PM
null, void, i think my next computer will have to be 0, empty, or NaN

(At work we name our computers after starwars planets)

nsa_767
November 28th, 2005, 04:11 PM
null, void, i think my next computer will have to be 0, empty, or NaN

(At work we name our computers after starwars planets)

Cool, NaN as in "Not-a-Number" of Blender-"fame"?

Jeremiah85
November 28th, 2005, 04:45 PM
I named my laptop Rivendell and my desktop Lothlorien mainly because Tolkien is one of my favorite authors.

mgor
November 28th, 2005, 04:46 PM
firewall: slartibartfast (openbsd)
server: prefect (ubuntu)
test machine: arthur (ubuntu)
laptop: zaphod (ubuntu)

they all belong in the hgttg.local domain ;)

Iandefor
November 28th, 2005, 04:48 PM
I use names from general Mythology that appeal to me; My notebook, while it still worked, was termed "Wraith", and my current computer has been tokened "Brownie". One exception: I call the Macs at my school "Worthless [except for the two G5's we have that each have dual g5 2ghz processors and 2 gigs ram]"

Oh, and the next computer I'm lined up for is gonna be named Leviathan.

Mr_J_
November 28th, 2005, 05:56 PM
Depending on which I am and what network it'll be a part of I give them diferent names according, but my personal one is called Tron.
On diferent networks I have names in my local language.
Some being names of local cities; others are funnier.
One I called it a name I can't translate to english.

What do you call a car that's nearly only held by paint?
That works so slow and moves in ways even snails call it slowpoke.

In case you know portuguese... Cangalha

When the computer is for another person I ask them to name it.
Usually it's something most people like.

Familly is a name I somethimes use. Only in portuguese.

raublekick
November 28th, 2005, 06:01 PM
My computer is named Mario, my sister/mom's computer is Peach. I want to get a laptop which will be the brother of my desktop, named Luigi. I have an old computer in the attic that I might bust out for testing if I can find a monitor, it will be named Toad.

Big Venus
November 28th, 2005, 06:18 PM
Zero Angel is the old system amd duron system
Kana Aurora is the new AMD64 3400+ system...

bwog
November 28th, 2005, 10:49 PM
Lots of celestial bodies in this thread. I name mine after craters on the moon. I have got only two, and lots of names to go.

Some of the really nice names, like Mare Tranquillitatus (Sea of tranquillity), are unfortunately too long to be practical.

earobinson
November 28th, 2005, 10:54 PM
Cool, NaN as in "Not-a-Number" of Blender-"fame"?
NaN as in not a number keeping with the whole Null Void thing.

lol kinda makes me sound like an emo programer lol

x__dark
November 28th, 2005, 10:56 PM
I usually name my PCs after myself "Jeremiah" or I name them after my mood at the time. (weird naming scheme, but it's fun)

Brunellus
November 28th, 2005, 11:02 PM
tranquilitatis. It is possible to use certain latin scribal epigraphic conventions to come up with suitably short phrases, though. Latin students usually learn this the hard way, when they have to read stone inscriptions rather than nicely-copied texts.

Iandefor
November 29th, 2005, 04:56 AM
My desktop is called twoflower, the router is rincewind, my VDR's name is conan and the pc of my flatmate is chest.
Terry Pratchett would be proud... or saddened that someone actually likes his books enough to use his characters' names as monikers for their computers...

amohanty
November 29th, 2005, 06:13 AM
Breezy desktop : Kandinsky
Win2K laptop : MichelAngelo
OpenBSD firewall: Loki

Nrvnqsr
November 29th, 2005, 06:22 AM
Brother's PC: Alkaid
My "dead" laptop server with External HD: Altrouge I/Oberon
My Current dual-boot laptop: Altrouge II
Mom's PC: Sumire

senectus
November 29th, 2005, 07:27 AM
Terry Pratchett would be proud... or saddened that someone actually likes his books enough to use his characters' names as monikers for their computers...

no he'd be insulted.. It's Cohen, Genghiz Cohen. Not Conan.. completely different characters.. no similarity what so ever :-P

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Cohen_the_Barbarian

Lifesteeler
November 29th, 2005, 09:04 AM
My lappie is named HAL...:D

tonymoyoy
November 29th, 2005, 09:18 AM
yoshimi

based on the Flaming lips cd Yoshimi battles the pink robots

lcg
November 29th, 2005, 10:07 AM
My lappie is named HAL...:D
Is it an IBM Thinkpad?

Lifesteeler
November 30th, 2005, 12:21 PM
Is it an IBM Thinkpad?

Nope, its a HP. What about it?

bwog
November 30th, 2005, 12:30 PM
tranquilitatis. It is possible to use certain latin scribal epigraphic conventions to come up with suitably short phrases, though. Latin students usually learn this the hard way, when they have to read stone inscriptions rather than nicely-copied texts.

Interesting, but I never was a latin student (I just pick up the crater names from the atlas of the moon).

What would the shortcut for Mare Tranquilitatis be in epigraphic conventions? Do I need a hammer and chisel to write it?

DeafStar
November 30th, 2005, 12:33 PM
I'm using HalV, HalX, Halub etc. All derived from HAL 2001 (the famous One)

joselin
November 30th, 2005, 12:39 PM
I called it with the femenine name of several animals. The names in spanish are pantera, lobezna and tigresa. In english sound like panther, wolf and tiger.

Regards.
Jose

siorai
November 30th, 2005, 03:19 PM
For the longest time it used to be "Raoul." I just love saying the name. It rolls off the tongue so nicely. Then one before doing a reinstall, I was going through my HP Lovecraft collection quite heavily and "Dagon" was born.

lcg
November 30th, 2005, 04:56 PM
Nope, its a HP. What about it?
There's a story about 2001 and the HAL 9000: If you replace every letter in HAL with its successor (H->I, A->B, L->M), it reads: IBM

Because of that little story, it is IMO especially funny to give that name to IBM computers.

Lars

SteelValor
November 30th, 2005, 05:38 PM
Mine are...

Pickles - 98/2000 400Mhz Laptop
Nuclear.Kitten - XP 2.8Ghz Gaming Desktop
Steel.Kitten - Hoary 1.1Ghz Family Desktop
Iron.Kitten - 2000 500Mhz WebDev Server
Purkle - Hoary iMac 333Mhz
Beowulf - OS9/Hoary iMac 400Mhz

betamax
November 30th, 2005, 05:53 PM
Datathing - T23 laptop
Buntybox - Shuttle system (currently unwell :( )

&

Crock-o-crap - XP system (borrowed)

bonzodog
November 30th, 2005, 07:09 PM
My first linux box was a slack default name box called 'DarkStar'.
When I built my current box, an AMD64 based machine, I decided i liked the naming conventions using types of star, so my current one is 'DwarfStar'.

spike666
November 30th, 2005, 07:16 PM
I use Aphex Twin songs.

I started with Ventolin, which I transfered from my 7600/132 to my second machine (a G3/450), and my first windows machine was WetTipHenAxe.

following was:

fingerbib (G4/450)
waxenpith (Titanium Powerbook 1ghz)
cowcud (1ghz PIII)
mookid (G4/800)
flaphead (600mhz PIII)
yellowcalx (sony vaio laptop)
alberto (dual G5/2.7ghz)

Lomas
November 30th, 2005, 10:32 PM
Name: Happy

AMD Athlon 1.4Ghz - MSI K7T266 PRO (MS-6380) - Samsung SyncMaster 152s - Seagate 40GB barracuda 7200rpm - MSI Geforce 4 TI 4200 64MB

m@dm@x
December 1st, 2005, 04:24 AM
I name mine after planets. I have a file server that I named "Uranus". Simply so I can put things in "Uranus".

firenurse4
December 1st, 2005, 06:57 AM
I named our computers after our cats.

My main box is Randy.
My backup box is Midninght.
My wife's box is Mittens (deceased).
And the the notebook is Notecat.

I fogot what I named our granddaughters box but then its not on my network here.

curuxz
December 6th, 2005, 07:06 PM
How the names came about are long stories, but the main reason for naming them is to confuse people browsing my network.

Primary PC is always named : CuruXz (hence my username)
Its slave laptop, that always sits next to it: Triax
finaly the one in my room for multimedia is: Enradi

To this day Curuxz is on its 6th incarnation, there have been 2 systems to bare the name Triax and 3 Enradi's since I started building systems. All run ubuntu, keeping the name the same for pc's doing the same job helps me know what backups im looking at by hostname. Also I once had Kobos as the name of a firewall server.

Its a good policy, treating them like pets mean you care for them....and dont abuse them by installing *******.

Bandit
December 6th, 2005, 07:26 PM
I use theme names.
When I was in college many moons ago I helped setup our new network and we named the servers after the Little Rascal, we had spanky, alfalfa, darla, etc..
It wasnt pratical to give names to all the workstations, espt since we had about 3000 PC's :)
At that time I used biblical names on my computers at home. John, Luke, Mark, Jacob, etc..
Now I am using a celtic rune theme. So currently my box is named Sigel. Which the sigel rune represents god and power.
You can also use cartoon themes like transformers, smurfs and so one :D
Cheers,
Joey

doitashimashite
December 6th, 2005, 07:29 PM
I guess I had too little inspiration when I named the seven Ubuntu workstations I recently installed for one of my customers:

ubuntu1
ubuntu2
ubuntu3
ubuntu4
ubuntu5
ubuntu6
ubuntu7

Kelpie
December 6th, 2005, 08:07 PM
it depends on what i feel like naming my computer each reformat... one time it was Bob another it was Sh*ttles another it was POS xD etc, usually i name it everything in the book when something screws itself over (like the fact that one time i rebooted and the system registry screwed itself over and i didnt even do anything to cause such a thing to happen) (im gunna be on Windows till i get muh CDs and thisll be Windows 98se that ill be with :()

veehell
December 6th, 2005, 09:14 PM
*nix machine: neteru, winbox: anubis, (the ancient gods' entities)
laptop: (company standard :(
oldones: holy, starbug1, (reddwarf ones ;))), my roomate has bluebug and network was holly.net ;)

Rinzwind
December 6th, 2005, 09:22 PM
My network is called Discworld and my PC is called Rinzwind and my laptop is called Luggage :) :)

Rinzwind always puts files into Luggage and Luggage keeps on accepting them :P

Watcher
December 6th, 2005, 09:29 PM
I call mine after micro-organisms (as i am a student in biological engineering ;)):

big computer (used for study): Hyphomicrobium
home computer: Desulfuromonas

There is btw no specific for those names, if I ever get a server i'm gonna call it after something very resistant :)

dgray_from_dc
December 9th, 2005, 05:43 PM
Desktop named LV-426 (Planet from First Alien Movie)
Desktop named Fury 161 (Planet from Alien 3 Movie)
Laptop named Nostromo (Ship from Original Alien Movie)
Laptop named Sulaco (Ship from Aliens Movie)

Samba Domain/Workgroup is Weyland-Yutani ("The Company" from Alien movies)

I'm a bit of a fan if you can't tell.

ape
December 9th, 2005, 06:17 PM
Let's see. I've got:

hippy
spongebob
squidward
patrick
dante
bishop
gamer
little
(don't remember what my wife's iMac is called)

carlosqueso
December 9th, 2005, 06:54 PM
Mine's named Burgess...the next one will either be Cesar, or Lee if it's a particularly good-looking machine. Bonus points if anyone can guess my naming scheme.

Lovechild
December 9th, 2005, 07:16 PM
Mine are all named after things in the X-Files since I'm a big fan (and yes I do own every single season on DVD)

Desktop: Mulder
Laptop: Majestic-12
ex-gf' laptop: Scully

The old server sorta breaks the naming scheme though, my dad named that one Sleepyhead since it was only a 100MHz Pentium and honestly was rather much a junker.. it served us well for several years though, much praise to Linux.

spdl
December 9th, 2005, 08:49 PM
Main Server and Graphics Workstation: stargate
Second Server: stargateII
Laptop: sghybridmobile

tim.n9puz
December 9th, 2005, 09:12 PM
Mine are named after Knights of the Roundtable. At a former employer the three servers were named Curly, Moe, and Larry. Years ago I went to a DEC networking class and the three Vax machines we used were OHare, Midway, and Migs.

Tim

ormus
December 11th, 2005, 08:17 PM
very boring here.
gold, silver and bronze.
tin for any guest PC to join the local network.

IanLowe
December 11th, 2005, 09:08 PM
ooooh - nice thread.

My main server is "Dawkins", (which replaced "Turing")
voip server is "Feynman",
The workstations are "Kepler", "Babbage", "Darwin", "Einstein"

my laptop.. in a slightly less serious twist is "Farnsworth" - good news, everyone!

;)

I.

benplaut
December 11th, 2005, 09:29 PM
breezy@cooky:~$ uname -a
Linux cooky 2.6.14-ck1 #1 Tue Nov 8 18:47:24 HST 2005 i686 GNU/Linux

my next desktop is going to be named something else... i haven't decided yet

ardchoille
December 11th, 2005, 09:43 PM
Mine seems to be named "Jesus Christ".

"Jesus Christ you're taking your time copying that tarball aren't you?" or "Jesus Christ you sure take your time opening that 50Mb file"

almahtar
December 11th, 2005, 10:35 PM
What an intresting thread. I'll contribute.

I do web programing on an automated pharmacy ordering, sorting and shipping system. I called it called BluePill
What? Why not red pill? You telling me you'd prefer escape to the truth? :-p (J/k, of course).

I like to get creative with my computer names.

Zomb0r - a hastily scrapped together computer I never bothered putting the case covers on.
Biotch - network file server and jukebox
almahtar - my faithful old Athlon 550 I've had since 1999. Almahtar is the elvish translation of my real name (Jonathan Mark), which means (loosely) "Blessed warrior." I came up with it before LotR was such a mainstream influence, and it's proven to be a great screenname.
Almahtarphoenix - Almahtar's replacement when I flashed its bios unsuccessfully and ruined it.
Santa - Biotch's replacement which also ran a deditcated game server. It was such a benevolent machine, always giving and never recieving, so it was named Santa.
Zao - Old Greek for "Alive." The machine I hosted my CS381 group's CVS repository on.
Dragonfly - my only currently operational machine, a laptop. It's zippy and portable, but more importantly "dragonfly" and "firefly" have been very symbolic of the similarities and differences between me and my (pseudo) girlfriend, respectively.

almahtar
December 11th, 2005, 10:42 PM
Mine's named Burgess...the next one will either be Cesar, or Lee if it's a particularly good-looking machine. Bonus points if anyone can guess my naming scheme.

A google search on the terms didn't help... I'm very interested but clueless. Do tell.

Lovechild
December 11th, 2005, 10:58 PM

I mean the first thing that comes to mind would be military leaders.

Robert E. Lee, the dashing moron who lead the south in their defeat during the american civilwar

Cesar, the name used for the leader of the Roman empire - most famous is Julius Cesar

Burgess, this one I don't know.. Guy Francis De Moncy Burgess maybe, not a military leader but double agent during the cold war

almahtar
December 11th, 2005, 11:10 PM

Robert E. Lee, the dashing moron who lead the south in their defeat during the american civilwar

Cesar, the name used for the leader of the Roman empire - most famous is Julius Cesar

Burgess, this one I don't know.. Guy Francis De Moncy Burgess maybe, not a military leader but double agent during the cold war
Yeah, it was the Burgess that was throwing me off. Brings up shadowy memories of revolutionary war people, but no one person.

futz
December 11th, 2005, 11:11 PM
Currently the 4 main machines here are named:

numberone
Big old InWin Q500 http://www.eprom.com/home/images_of_cases/inwin.htm

bigblue
http://raidmax.com/images/subpage/colors/colorcasepics/scorpio_668_blue.jpg

shiny
http://www.antec.com/us/productDetails.php?ProdID=15001#

xblade
http://www.a-top.com/xblade/xblade-s.jpg

Lovechild
December 11th, 2005, 11:27 PM
I found two new scheme for my network:

Desktop: El
Parents Desktop: Elohim
Laptop: El_Shaddai
Server: Adonai

Desktop: Price
Parents Desktop: Smith
Laptop: Finlay
Server: Randi

I can't really decide, oh and this one is another bonus round, guess the two scheme themes.

Since nobody cared to guess these I'll just tell you:
The first one is names for God in the hebrew old testament, my favorite part is Elohim which is God in... plural. (feel free to double check bible clutchers.. it is true)
The second one is famous atheists/sceptics (Robert M. Price, bible scholar; George A. Smith, Author of Atheism: the case against God; Reginald Finlay, Radio host www.infidelguy.com and James Randi, Magician and sceptic famous for offering a million dollars to anyone who can prove their supernatural powers... the money of course has been sitting savely in bonds for several decades now... go figure, once you ask for proof nobody is willing to ste p to the plate.. even if you offer them a million dollars)

jeffdano
December 11th, 2005, 11:43 PM
I called some of mine the following...

Monolith
Tycho
Durandal
Leela
Guardian
Scrappy

Since I switch from Windows, I call it a tool (that's tool is in like screwdriver or chainsaw, not what Window's users are- the other definition of TOOL).:???:

John.Michael.Kane
December 11th, 2005, 11:58 PM
Mine is named [Black-Light] After the special forces unit named in Escape from NY and plan's for a server code name Texas-Thunder.

almahtar
December 12th, 2005, 12:09 AM
I found two new scheme for my network:

Desktop: El
Parents Desktop: Elohim
Laptop: El_Shaddai
Server: Adonai

Desktop: Price
Parents Desktop: Smith
Laptop: Finlay
Server: Randi

I can't really decide, oh and this one is another bonus round, guess the two scheme themes.

I like the first naming scheme, but then I'm biased :-)

M3ta7h3ad
December 12th, 2005, 12:14 AM
Mines fairly random.

Laptop: Hufflepuffle

Tower: Redemption (Its meant to redeem me for all my years of use of underpowered computers :D)

Desktop: Smoochiekins
PDA (Ipaq): SnugglePuggle

And yes... im a bloke.

otey
December 12th, 2005, 12:17 AM
Mine's called 'osys'

JimmyJazz
December 12th, 2005, 12:19 AM
mine is called "my laptop" and my other one is called "my server" and the other one is called "my mac" pretty original eh

almahtar
December 12th, 2005, 12:20 AM
Astonishing. Where do you find the inspiration?

J.C. Denton
December 12th, 2005, 12:22 AM
Servers (colocated):

Darkstar
Acheron
Contagion

Desktops/Laptops:

Reaper
Demon
Juggernaut
Ice
Sono
Ion
Icarus

My names vary from Nordic/Roman/Greek names, to game names (notably Doom 3 and Mission Force: Cyberstorm), to common names.

bluefunnel
December 12th, 2005, 12:32 AM
The one I'm on right now is just my sn(bluefunnel), but I plan on using a naming scheme later on based on cheeses. The one I'm building next month will be Gouda. I love gouda.

My wife calls her laptop Bob.

BoyOfDestiny
December 12th, 2005, 12:59 AM
I like naming them after Greek/Roman gods and demi-gods.

garnertr
December 12th, 2005, 01:06 AM
Was just wondering..

My laptap is named SONIC (my nicname @ work) and my wifes is called by her first name... :)

OneWingedAngel
December 12th, 2005, 05:10 AM
I tend to use Final Fantasy villain names. At the moment, I have a RiscStation with the net name 'edea' and my main box (x86 Kubuntu) is 'gilgamesh'. I've had others in the past (springing to mind are 'sephiroth', 'garland' and 'golbez'). My router box is 'enkidou' (Gilgamesh's sidekick on FFV).

Virak
December 12th, 2005, 08:02 AM
Stuff from games, as I do a fair bit of gaming. For example, my last computer was "Metal Gear Rex", and this one is "Cortana".

JimmyJazz
December 12th, 2005, 09:01 AM
Astonishing. Where do you find the inspiration?
science fiction novels mostly

carlosqueso
December 12th, 2005, 07:05 PM

Woah.....that is pretty clever, I wish I'd thought of that ;-)

HOWEVER....appearantly there are no fans of the orignial Batman series here.

Burgess: Burgess Meridith, the original Penguin (it's my first linux box)
Lee: Lee Merriwether, Catwoman (if it's pretty)
Cesar: Cesar Romero, the Joker

Okay...I"m a nerd.

nighttime
December 15th, 2005, 05:14 AM
I call mine Bogambo.

Kramer rules! Wooh!

Revert
December 15th, 2005, 05:55 AM
Network's named Netty, computer's named core.

I really should think up some better names one day... :rolleyes:

raydel
December 15th, 2005, 02:59 PM
Firewall box is an old pemtium 166. I call him "porky" cause he's a pig.
My main server is "bugs" because he has all the home dirs and file storage.
My machine is the fastest so he's called "taz".
The wife's machine is of coarse "tweety".

unkemptwolf
December 15th, 2005, 04:11 PM
My laptop's name is lapdance.
My desktop's name is tabledance.

My girlfriend does not find this as funny as I do.:rolleyes:

eriqk
December 15th, 2005, 04:15 PM
Mine are:
XP desktop: Zen (currently under threat for obvious reasons)
XP Audio system: Orac (Not going anywhere as long as AudioMulch and Sonar are windows only)
XP on shuttle: MobileMulchingMachine (the odd one out)
Ubuntu on shuttle: HAL9000
Ubuntu on server: Proteus (currently offline for a stupid reason: not enough power outlets!)
Now all I need are a SkyNet, and a Gog and Magog.

Groet, Erik

nauseaboy
December 15th, 2005, 04:37 PM
Last year I started using an Alice in Wonderland theme. So my ubuntu workstation is Wonderland and my server box is LookingGlass.

Feadan
December 15th, 2005, 05:32 PM
Desktops & Laptops
- OISIN
- SEDANTA
- DAGDA
- NIAMH
- EPONA
- SIDHE
- GRYFFINDOR (my son’s PC)

Server
- OGHAM

Workgroup=TIRNANOG

BLTicklemonster
December 15th, 2005, 06:28 PM
Mine here at work is a vietnamese computer, I named it

Damnth Ng.

'course it's not running 'buntu, or it would be named "sweet thang", lol.

thezerogroup
December 15th, 2005, 07:31 PM
I name my computers after old GFs

Brunellus
December 15th, 2005, 08:24 PM
I name my computers after old GFs
If I followed that naming convention, I would despair of ever having a stable and reliable computer...although some of them might be fun.

wolfe
December 15th, 2005, 08:42 PM
Linux box (main pc) - omniscience
Windows box (soley for running ventrilo) - idiot

curtis
December 15th, 2005, 09:22 PM
I didn't really get that creative when I named my laptop ;)
I called it 'laptop'.

afhp
December 15th, 2005, 09:23 PM
Internet gateway/firewall is always called "jumpgate".

The laptop is "quark", current workstation is "helium".

In accordance with this theme, future desktop machines will be named from the last column of the periodic table. Anything mobile will be named after a subatomic particle.

Vlammetje
December 17th, 2005, 08:17 PM
I called my pc Atlantis, after the myth of the Lost Atlantis, because I had to reinstall everything due to a Lost XP Partition :rolleyes:

Now it's kinda grown on me (the name.. not XP)

LoclynGrey
December 17th, 2005, 08:43 PM
any networked MS Windows machines connected are called
"microsux 1"
"microsux 2", etc

anything else is called the generic and boring "ubuntu x", etc

0okami
December 17th, 2005, 10:39 PM
Is it possible to change the machine's name without affecting anything?
I might be renaming my machine to Cerberus or Cerberos or Kerberos (for kubuntu) hehe

Cerebus was the three headed dog of Haydes. After tonight, i will be adding a third monitor to my setup.

Dr. Nick
December 17th, 2005, 11:03 PM
Is it possible to change the machine's name without affecting anything?
I might be renaming my machine to Cerberus or Cerberos or Kerberos (for kubuntu) hehe

Cerebus was the three headed dog of Haydes. After tonight, i will be adding a third monitor to my setup.

You can change the machines name with minimal effect. It depends on your network setup.

A overly simple but practical way to tell
If you ever need to know your current hostname for usage on your network then it will have an effect
If you dont have a network that you use or you dont need to know the name to connect to it from the lan then you can change it without a problem.

I call my laptop ubuntu since I didnt name it on install, My laptop is springfield after the simpsons, I am going to rename my desktop shelbyville.

Minyaliel
December 17th, 2005, 11:25 PM
any networked MS Windows machines connected are called
"microsux 1"
"microsux 2", etc

lolz, that's funny ;)
Err... how do you rename a computer? The one I came up with is kind of embarassing... "mom's little baby".... *blushes hard* I'd like to get rid of that... was so proud that I'd installed ubuntu on my own that I couldn't help myself :P

The Mekon
December 17th, 2005, 11:59 PM
My two computers are named after cats which we have owned (or have owned us:)) over the years. I am at present working on Fonze who was a lovely tortoiseshell and my print server is Daisy a black and white shorthair. These are Ubuntu Linux boxes.

My wife's computer is called Pierre after her, recently deceased, black standard Poodle. Unfortunately she is using Windows XP.

All machines show pictures of their namesakes on their desktops.

NotJustANewbie
December 18th, 2005, 12:14 AM
denola (for my dell)
cenola (for my compaq)

Dr. Nick
December 18th, 2005, 06:07 AM
lolz, that's funny ;)
Err... how do you rename a computer? The one I came up with is kind of embarassing... "mom's little baby".... *blushes hard* I'd like to get rid of that... was so proud that I'd installed ubuntu on my own that I couldn't help myself :P

Should be as easy as going to system-administration-networking then general tab and chanage hostname. That assumes you use gnome, Not sure how to do it in KDE but I bet their is a command line that works regardless of the enviroment

Galiphraen
December 18th, 2005, 11:39 AM
I name mine after Dr. WHo characters and units of time. ie galiphrae, Dalek, eon, era, tardis, tempest......

Deaf_Head
December 18th, 2005, 11:43 AM
Computer, that's what I call it .. sometimes laptop .. and when I'm mad: POS.

afhp
December 18th, 2005, 11:55 PM
Should be as easy as going to system-administration-networking then general tab and chanage hostname. That assumes you use gnome, Not sure how to do it in KDE but I bet their is a command line that works regardless of the enviroment

Edit /etc/hostname. Depending on how your network is set up, you might have to change it in a couple other places related to name resolution.

clparker
December 19th, 2005, 12:04 AM
I know this is gonna sound super geeky...I named my computer SHODAN, after the super-computer SHODAN, that tried to destroy humanity in the classic PC Game series System Shock. Anybody remember that Game? I'm Thinking of Naming my New PC Xerxes, after the AI on the VanBraun Ship in System Shock 2.

paul cooke
December 19th, 2005, 11:08 PM
well... I think I'll have to come up with some more 'exciting' names than "big-box", "cooke-base" and "laptop-one"... perhaps something seasonal like dasher, dancer, prancer, donner, blitzen and rudolph... :smile:

DaddyOh47
December 20th, 2005, 12:32 AM
Way back when, I named all the M$ machines after family members.Most of the time when I'd add a extra machine to play with I'd call it HAL9000 from 2001. Lately the various linux distros kept their default host names, Right now I guess I'm lookin for a handle for my kubuntu machine. Maybe Dellbert! :rolleyes:

Enter
December 20th, 2005, 12:36 AM
my windowze was DIGITAL-20 and is :lol:
my linux is localhost dont know why i named it that :lol:

noco37
December 20th, 2005, 01:14 AM
The winderz XP box is Grendel, the compaq 386sx "portable" is brick $h!t house, and the Dell C600 is leaf-blower. I love that fan noise.

mrgnash
December 20th, 2005, 01:35 AM
My old XP box was called 'Steve,' for no particular reason. This box however, is called SMG for reasons that are probably fairly obvious :smile:

Chris Tucker
December 20th, 2005, 01:52 AM
LostBox (formerly Footrest)
AcerNotebook (still thinking on that one for something more creative..)
HaywardsP4ubuntu (dads machine, again, not very creative..)
Smoothwall (yet again.. still pondering to make a more creative name.

encompass
December 20th, 2005, 09:09 AM
Mine WAS called Janet, But due to my recent marraige, bot my wife and my computer got a name change. ;) I haven't figured a new name. Maybe, Cronk, from Emporer's New Groove. Cause the compåuter is my servant, but not to bright about it. I mean, heck, ever computer I have had for the past year has been someones garbage.

Gurgeh
December 24th, 2005, 04:45 PM
I name mine along the line of Iain M Banks 'Culture' ships (for linux) and startrek ships (for the windows machines):

GSV Supremacy - Main desktop
GSV Cowardice - Wireless Thinkpad 600 (bugger to get working)
GSV Prefect - Other desktop
GSV Swine - Mates laptop Running Xandros (the poof)
IKV Punisher - Gaming machine (Busted :()
USS Deliverer - File Server/Firewall
USS Corporate - Mates Work laptop
USS Defiance - Mates desktop (refuses to switch to ubuntu :()

CommCen - Wireless AP
SubSpace - Network

PS: I though it was wicked to compare the culture universe to linux (in its complexitiy) and windows to startrek lol.

Bit geeky I admit...

Fearan
December 24th, 2005, 06:08 PM
I named mine g-velocity when I had Gentoo, even though it's around 8 years old by now.... I'm gonna get rid of ubuntu on this one after I get my new compy set up, as this compy is my dad's, and he won't give it up to the trash. He still wants a dual boot with windows 98 for this old thing! Then i'll name the new one something even faster... i wonder what that would be...

stimpack
December 24th, 2005, 06:35 PM
Desktop is called "desktop"
Laptop is call "acer", because hmm its an Acer.

Yes the creative side of my brain is dead.

Taino
December 24th, 2005, 07:08 PM
I just call my laptop "Lappy" (Lappy <-- just a made up name)
and i call my desktop "Dobby" (Dobby <-- from Harry Potter)

Just seemed fitting to me to call them that since "Lappy" spends
quite a bit of time on my lap as i move from room to room working,
and "Dobby" is a server, much like Dobby in Harry Potter was a servant.

:KS :KS <-- these stars are addicting :p

majikstreet
December 24th, 2005, 07:17 PM
my desktop: oreo
my moms desktop: esher
my server: ripleyhost

oreo = my cat
esher = our oldest cat
ripley = one of our cats who is dead

roachk71
December 25th, 2005, 04:02 AM
I'm a fan of the Oh! My Goddess comics, so I've followed this naming scheme:

Notebook: Urd (my most favorite of the three)
Router: Skuld

Of course, Dad's desktop in the other room is simply named after the family (I'd rather call it dead_HaDIbaH; it runs XP.)
:smile:

britjm
December 25th, 2005, 05:30 AM
I name my box for my site. My site's name is photosfromwords. (period included)

xequence
December 25th, 2005, 05:33 AM
Wait! I realised my computer has a name. Its patrick-31ac816.