PDA

View Full Version : Recommended ogg (and mp3 etc) jukebox setups?

migla
October 25th, 2006, 01:58 PM
Can someone recommend apps and/or ways to set up a jukebox that'll let people search and append songs to a playlist, but not mess with the music software or rest of the computer in other ways.

I guess one could maybe set up a webkiosk-type thingy frontend for some musicplayer (which one?) or use MythTV (with mythmusic package) for it, but It'd be nice if there's a simple solution.

Is there a way to set up amarok locked to fullscreen, without window borders and with reduced features?

edit: Perhaps wrong forum, but I'm not looking for detailed help (yet, atleast). Some screenshots would be nice if someone has a favourite partyjukebox setup.

LxP
November 12th, 2006, 01:48 AM
Is there a way to set up amarok locked to fullscreen, without window borders and with reduced features?

You may wish to investigate a window manager called Ratpoison (http://www.nongnu.org/ratpoison/). At its simplest, it is a keyboard-driven window manager that forces windows to the size of the entire screen. It doesn't draw things like title bars or maximise/minimise/close buttons, and its keyboard shortcuts are by default very different from the norm, so the uneducated user would have a really hard time closing it down or switching to another program.

Perhaps the best way to go about this would be to create a new user account, with this account specifically set up to use Ratpoison and launch Amarok. I have successfully used this approach with a web browser.