PDA

View Full Version : Linutop - Linux-based diskless computer

JurB
October 25th, 2006, 01:21 PM
"Linutop (http://www.linutop.com/) is a Linux-based diskless computer. It offers a completely silent, low-power operation in an extremely small package.
Its main purpose is to surf the Internet."

Nice!:)

ago
October 25th, 2006, 02:01 PM
That is what I mean when I say that linux-preinstalled will come from china, not from dell...

These cheap devices will flood the market soon... And within 2 years they should be powerful enough for full blown Festy+3 with Beryl and should be about $100. I want to se the face of consumer that will prefer to shed 10X for a new machine with vista...

Now, if only I could get one of these with led display, IR receiver and digital audio out, I could have some fun with media boxes around the house...

Titus A Duxass
October 25th, 2006, 02:12 PM
Ago (Famous Motorcycle racer).
You could use one of these with a wireless palm to run as a Front end to a Giant Disc system.

A good colour palm would act as your display.

kerry_s
October 25th, 2006, 02:17 PM
I love one of those to play with. :p

ago
October 25th, 2006, 02:17 PM
I was thinking of using the palm as a remote control, this way I will not need LCD display and IR receiver... :mrgreen:

ago
October 25th, 2006, 02:24 PM
I think it will be $150

23meg
October 25th, 2006, 02:35 PM
This makes so much sense. It will make even more in a couple of years.

ago
October 25th, 2006, 02:43 PM
It might be wise to prepare a special Ubuntu distro for those machines, forking edubuntu...

Once these babies spread (and I have no doubt they will), people will probably want to have 1 ubuntu-zeroconf-home-server (file server + multimedia streaming + DB services for mythtv & co + thin client server) and several thin/fat clients based on these machines. Big plus if it can support pocketpc/palm wireless control of the clients... :D

cunawarit
October 25th, 2006, 03:24 PM
If they are $150 I WILL be buying one!!! At home, the machine I use the most is a Celeron 700 with 512 MB and a 10 GB hard drive. It is a very cute, tiny form factor thing that I got in Ebay for £30 ($60 approx), the 512MB cost me £20 ($40). That’s $50 less than this but it isn’t new and it certainly isn’t silent.

I am not sure they will spread quickly, you can already buy some pretty cheap PCs and considering Windows and Dell penetration it is going to be hard to convince people that this is the way forward… However, I do believe it is! Eventually I think that the average home PC will be like this, a very small affordable device that is designed mostly for web browsing, and most apps will be web apps.

raublekick
October 25th, 2006, 04:42 PM
wow these look awesome! i wouldn't mind getting one for my sister just for the fact that she currently uses my old, noisy (like a hair dryer) PC.

PapaWiskas
October 25th, 2006, 05:08 PM
Very nice.

seuaniu
October 25th, 2006, 05:24 PM
It might be wise to prepare a special Ubuntu distro for those machines, forking edubuntu...

Once these babies spread (and I have no doubt they will), people will probably want to have 1 ubuntu-zeroconf-home-server (file server + multimedia streaming + DB services for mythtv & co + thin client server) and several thin/fat clients based on these machines. Big plus if it can support pocketpc/palm wireless control of the clients... :D

Amen to that. Couple it with something like pluto (http://plutohome.com/) and you've got one hell of a powerful home server.

Come to think of it, I could make a bit of a living installing this sort of thing.

rocknrolf77
October 27th, 2006, 07:03 PM
Like it very much. Nice to have if you are going away to people who don't have linux on their boxes too. Just buy one of those tiny usb disks and you have a nice comp anywhere you can access a screen and and a keyboard and mouse. And show off your exellent OS as well.