PDA

View Full Version : OS-less desktop/laptop?

Sunnz
October 25th, 2006, 10:47 AM
So are there companies now that sells computers without an OS??

.t.
October 25th, 2006, 10:55 AM
Rarely.

mips
October 25th, 2006, 10:57 AM
There are a few out there but you have to search. You can get a barebones Asus & the like. I think you can get a few thinkpad models without os.

Or you could really fight hard for a refund of the installed xp you did not accept the eula of depending on where you live.

chaosgeisterchen
October 25th, 2006, 11:25 AM
Several HP notebooks ship without OS.

anaconda
October 25th, 2006, 11:43 AM
Or you could really fight hard for a refund of the installed xp you did not accept the eula of depending on where you live.

I read that M$ doesn't refund OEM windows. You can get refund only from real purchased licenses.. So no luck there.

I asked from my closest shop, if they would sell laptops without windows, and they said tha they WILL do taht, but it will be MORE EXPENSIVE, because it would have to be ordered separately, and someone would have to do work to get the xp out of the machine etc..

M$ has unbelievable monopoly..

J77
October 25th, 2006, 11:53 AM
My Fujitsu-Siemens desktop came without an OS.

anaconda
October 25th, 2006, 12:13 PM
Desktops are easy to get without OS, but the real problem is with laptops, which come almost always pre-assembled and with windows pre-installed.

It is easy to buy a desktop computer in separate pieces (from anywhere), and put the pieces together, and you will end up with a computer without OS. If you can't do that, then you can say that you already have a 250GB hard-disk, but you want to buy everything else.. and then the only thing you have to do yourself is to add the hd yourself...