PDA

View Full Version : Ethical Issue: Gifts

benplaut
April 20th, 2005, 08:49 AM
with my Bar Mitzvah coming up, i am receving alot of gifts from people who can't come. My uncle sent me a Canon SD200 digital camera (and a 512mb SD card), about ~$300. Needless to say, this is a great gift for about half the world, but not really for me.

I really have no use for a digital camera, but i don't want to insult him by returning the camera and getting something else (PSP http://ubuntuforums.org/images/smilies/eusa_whistle.gif )... but the camera will end up not being mine, but rather just a family camera.

Another twist: My sister's birthday is May 24. She wants a digital camera (or iPod). I can't really think of a way to get my money for PSP and end up giving her the camera for her birthday except selling the camera to my parents, then having them give it to her. With the right wording in the thank-you not, i could just say "thank you, it is an outstanding upgrade from our current aging camera"... with "our" in there, making it undefined.

The problem with that is that the money will end up in my bank account, and end up paying the $200 debt i owe them from my laptop, which they said was their gift to me for my b-day.

Any suggestions? :smile:

KiwiNZ
April 20th, 2005, 08:58 AM
For me recieving a gift is very special. Not the value of the gift, that is unimportant. What it means to me is that the giver was thinking of me , went to the trouble to purchase a gift , wrap it and send it to me.
That thought is the true gift. But to giveaway the gift or to sell it dishonours that caring thought and love.

pietro_spina
April 20th, 2005, 09:06 AM
don't lie to him, it will bite you back...

assume he gave you the gift for some reason other than that he thinks it is an absolute must for a young man to own a digital camera... (he just wants you to be happy) but then some people get all uptight if you don't gush over their gifts...

Dear Uncle y,

Thank you very much for the absolutely excellent camera. Wow, one of the best out there. We will all be putting it to good use. thanks again,

hugs and kisses
Ben

hehehe how's that....

benplaut
April 20th, 2005, 09:14 AM
i know those points already... and he had a good reason to give me a camera (he turned me on to graphic design)... but it will end up that the camera will never be mine. I know how special gifts are, and this one was bought with good intention and sound reasoning, but i will never use it. ](*,)

ubuntu_demon
April 20th, 2005, 09:48 AM
i know those points already... and he had a good reason to give me a camera (he turned me on to graphic design)... but it will end up that the camera will never be mine. I know how special gifts are, and this one was bought with good intention and sound reasoning, but i will never use it. ](*,)
Give the camera to your sister. Be honest to your uncle and say she has more use for it. Ask your parents if they want to consider to give you a portion of the money they were going to spend on your sister.

Hey I really like your avatar! I use it as my main menu button right now.
see this thread :
http://www.ubuntuforums.org/showthread.php?p=140523

TravisNewman
April 20th, 2005, 01:54 PM
Well, what I don't get is, if you're into graphical design, why wouldn't you use it?

nocturn
April 20th, 2005, 02:50 PM
Just a thought, but how would you feel if you made an effort to buy someone a nice gift (and a pretty expensive one too) only to find out later that he sold it. Even if he doesn't find out, by selling it you are negating the gesture.

Just my thoughts, good luck with whatever you decide to do.

pietro_spina
April 20th, 2005, 04:31 PM
It's understood that gift giving etiquette is different for every family or culture.

My family for instance will re-gift/swap/barter and nobody minds. But then we don't get each other very nice things... hehehe

primeirocrime
April 20th, 2005, 05:07 PM
I would love to a have that kind of uncle :) instead i have one that gave me a TLR yashica. What to do what to do?

benplaut
April 20th, 2005, 06:56 PM
panickedthump: the reason i have no use for it is that i mainy do graphics, not editing. For the most part, my money is made mostly from making vectorized logos... etc.

I think i will end up just doing what demon666_nl said... it seems to be best of both worlds.

(BTW... this is just avatar v1... i still have yet to put in some anti-aliasing on the human circle, and Tux is sticking out a bit on one side... still have yet to figure out alot of GIMP :) )

Gary Powers
April 20th, 2005, 07:52 PM
I think we have the makings of a new forums feature here ...... "Ask Miss Ubuntu!".

Since you asked, explain to your uncle that you may not get proper use from his very thoughtful gift and would he object if you exchanged it for something else. Don't forget to tell him what you did get!

Gary