PDA

View Full Version : Hate those tooltips!

glotz
October 25th, 2006, 03:29 AM
I can appreciate tooltips when pointing at something but when pointing at the background...

I HATE THEM I HATE THEM I HATE THEM!!!1

wieman01
October 25th, 2006, 05:05 AM
What exactly are you referring to?

glotz
October 25th, 2006, 05:18 AM
Hit the new posts link http://www.ubuntuforums.org/search.php?do=getnew

scroll to middle of the page and lo and beholde, the disgusting tooltips are starting to creep up at your cursor!

wieman01
October 25th, 2006, 05:21 AM
Hit the new posts link http://www.ubuntuforums.org/search.php?do=getnew

scroll to middle of the page and lo and beholde, the disgusting tooltips are starting to creep up at your cursor!
Ah... Got it. I guess I can live with them. But can be annoying, right.

aysiu
October 25th, 2006, 05:23 AM
Are you using Firefox?

glotz
October 25th, 2006, 05:40 AM
Yes I am but I don't want to turn off all tooltips.

aysiu
October 25th, 2006, 05:46 AM
Yes I am but I don't want to turn off all tooltips.
That's okay.

Type
about:config in the address bar.

Then look for a key called allinonegest.showLinkTooltip.

Set the value to
false That should turn off the link hover tooltips, but you should still have other tooltips functional.

Edit: Never mind. I'm an idiot. The key you're looking for is browser.chrome.toolbar_tips, and it will turn off all tooltips.

glotz
October 25th, 2006, 05:55 AM
Thanks for trying to help. I guess I meant this rant at the web masters of the site.

orb9220
October 26th, 2006, 02:04 PM
Thanks for trying to help. I guess I meant this rant at the web masters of the site.

It is not the forums or website it is how you browsers is set. If you don't want to be annoyed then do as "aysui" has suggested in his post above.

elanthis
October 26th, 2006, 03:21 PM
Bull. I should not have to disable all of that behavior on all sites in my browser just because this one single site uses tooltips in such a broken and retarded fashion.

The problem is that if you are looking at a list of topics, if you leave your cursor _anywher_ in the main window, you end up with a huge and near pointless tooltip that covers a very large portion of the browser window.

At the very least, change the code so the tooltip is only displayed if I have the cursor over the topic's title, and not anywhere in the entire row of the topic in the list. Give me _somewhere_ to put the cursor that won't result in half my screen being blighted out by a useless hunk of text.

Immortal_one
October 29th, 2006, 05:15 PM
It is not the forums or website it is how you browsers is set. If you don't want to be annoyed then do as "aysui" has suggested in his post above.

This annoys me too; instead of tooltips when hovering over a link they pop up anywhere on the page.

-Immortal_one

Schluppy
October 29th, 2006, 07:44 PM
At the very least, change the code so the tooltip is only displayed if I have the cursor over the topic's title, and not anywhere in the entire row of the topic in the list.

Just wanted to echo this sentiment. The current tooltip behaviour is highly annoying and not the slightest bit conventional.

glotz
November 1st, 2006, 03:20 AM
Also on the subject of tooltips. When pointing at a topic, the tooltip shows the first few words of the topic. I used to think this feature made a lot of sense. However now, since the tags are introduced, I think the tooltip should rather show the tags than the first words.

slimdog360
November 1st, 2006, 02:18 PM
I like it, I can look at the first post without having to click on the thread and waiting for it to load.

23meg
November 3rd, 2006, 11:03 PM
At the very least, change the code so the tooltip is only displayed if I have the cursor over the topic's title, and not anywhere in the entire row of the topic in the list.That's exactly what should be done.

glotz
June 29th, 2007, 09:07 PM
A polite little kick in the crotch is in order methinks...

saulgoode
July 7th, 2007, 01:45 AM
Just wanted to echo this sentiment. The current tooltip behaviour is highly annoying and not the slightest bit conventional.

QFT

Happy_Man
July 20th, 2007, 09:23 PM
That's exactly what should be done.
+1. Over the title of the post ONLY, not everywhere on the page. I swear.... if I was using Firefox, I would use Aysiu's tip. But I'm on Opera.... so I must battle on.

23meg
August 28th, 2007, 12:06 AM
I'm too busy to do it right now, but it would perhaps be possible to disable tooltips for ubuntuforums.org only with a Greasemonkey script. Any takers?

tribble222
September 14th, 2007, 05:13 AM
I'm too busy to do it right now, but it would perhaps be possible to disable tooltips for ubuntuforums.org only with a Greasemonkey script. Any takers?

Good idea! I had some free time so I whipped up my first greasemonkey script ever. Hopefully I didn't break any other parts of the website with it...

http://userscripts.org/scripts/show/12249

// ==UserScript==
// @name Remove ubuntuforums.org tooltips
// @version 0.1
// @description Removes annoying ubuntuforums.org tooltips
// @include http://*ubuntuforums.org/*
// ==/UserScript==

var allTDs, thisTD;
allTDs = document.evaluate(
"//td[@class='threadbit']",
document,
null,
XPathResult.UNORDERED_NODE_SNAPSHOT_TYPE,
null);
for (var i = 0; i < allTDs.snapshotLength; i++) {
thisTD = allTDs.snapshotItem(i).removeAttribute("title")
}

glotz
January 23rd, 2008, 03:58 AM
bump

KiwiNZ
January 23rd, 2008, 04:01 AM
Noted and filled