PDA

View Full Version : Have you ever said "goodbye" to Ubuntu?

aysiu
October 24th, 2006, 11:00 PM
This wonderful thread (http://www.ubuntuforums.org/showthread.php?t=283631) carries on a long tradition of new users whining about Linux desktop unreadiness.

Have any of you (whether you posted a thread about it or not) said goodbye to Ubuntu... and then come back?

I tried desktop Linux for the first time in June 2004 and quickly said goodbye after some issues installing packages (package managers were probably in existence then, but they weren't as popularized or well-documented). Dependency hell got me out of that quickly!

I tried again in April 2005 with Mepis and was hooked. Everything just seemed to work that needed to work. I moved to Ubuntu that May and have been stuck ever since.

Any other rebounds?

Treviņo
October 24th, 2006, 11:03 PM
It's about an year I'm using k-ubuntu... Sometimes I thought to switch to ArchLinux, but I don't want to lose this commuinty, so... I'm here and I think that I'll rest for many times! ^_^

PriceChild
October 24th, 2006, 11:08 PM
I started ubuntu in september 2005, after a brief play for an evening with FC5?

However i didn't have an internet connection where i was staying, so obviously i kept my xp set up which i was comforatble with at the time. Got back into ubuntu about october though after less than a month and all is good! :)

MetalMusicAddict
October 24th, 2006, 11:09 PM
Yea. :(

I said goodbye to Warty, Hoary, Breezy. Tomorrow Ill say goodbye to Dapper. Ill even say goodbye to Edgy one day. :rolleyes:

denad
October 24th, 2006, 11:11 PM
Goodbye RedHat!(2003?) Hello Ubuntu!(2006)

Never got my internet up and running in RedHat, so I didnt use it much.

Anonii
October 24th, 2006, 11:11 PM
I said goodbye to Ubuntu, to try Gentoo 2006 which I didnt notice that it was released. After a week, I said "Hello" again.

Lord Illidan
October 24th, 2006, 11:12 PM
I remember that I was once a troll myself...yes I was one of those whining Windows users.. I had just installed Fedora Core 1 or Mandrake 10, forgot which, and was trying to get sound, etc working...started flaming pcplus forums :)

Then I switched to lotsa distros, came to Hoary, switched to SUSE, came back to Hoary, switched to Fedora Core again, went to Breezy, switched back to SUSE, then switched to Dapper, then switched to...aud nauseum..now I seem to be getting on well with Edgy. In the meantime I kept up appearances on the forum :cool:

maia
October 24th, 2006, 11:12 PM
Yeah. I said goodbye as I've always been a Windows guy. Also, there are some applications (Medical) that are Windows and/or Mac only and I need those. I used to dual-boot.
I will be installing 6.06 LTS or maybe Edgy in a few days/weeks to give another go at it. I love the Gnome/KDE desktop:cool:

PatrickMay16
October 24th, 2006, 11:18 PM
At one point, during December 2005, I got very angry with some glitches in GNOME and began backing up my stuff to reinstall or get rid of ubuntu. But I was too lazy, so I didn't bother. I'm glad of that.

cunawarit
October 24th, 2006, 11:25 PM
Well, I never said hello to Ubuntu, I tried several distros and settled for Debian. I hang out here because it is a much more relaxed and active community.

I did try Fedora over a year ago and then gave it up, but only because I moved and ended up in a house with no network and it wouldn't work with my USB modem. Now I have three machines, one with Debian Etch, one with Debian Sarge, and finally one with XP.

.t.
October 24th, 2006, 11:26 PM
Here's a mainly accurate recollection of my Linux journey:

In 2001 I started using Caldera OpenLinux Lite. That was hellish and although I persevered, it couldn't start an X server with the VESA driver. I left that behind pretty quick.

Then along came RedHat 9. It was better, but crude and needed a lot of work. I still persevered, but it was lacking. Dependency hell, bugs galore and hardware problems left me wanting. But I would always have a spot for Linux...

A couple of years later, I install Mandrake Linux 8.2. It was great and wonderful, and I would have stuck with it had it not been for want of a few crappy Windows games. I loved it, but my family thought it caused their own Windows problems and it was soon gone.

But not for long... I had a thing for Mandrake, and got the RC of the latest version Mandriva 2005. It was the shiniest thing on the planet and the KDE desktop was just beautiful. Nonetheless, my conservatism (and my family's ignorance) got the better of my curiosity.

Soon however, my curiousity had got that potential and would soon have that momentum for me to try again. I installed the latest SuSE version, 9.2 - I think - but it was slow. YaST took the system to a crawl, and the KDE eye-candy wasn't better. So, although it stayed on the drive (we'd got a 160GiB drive by then), it wasn't used and didn't fall into disrepair.

Then, in October last year, I got this laptop. I dual booted Kubuntu Breezy until a few weeks after Christmas with Windows, as I wanted to play Star Wars Battlefront 2, which was my favourite game (and still is). However, my meagre Intel GMA900 chip wasn't up to much, so that didn't last long. The final blow was when my hard drive broke, and I could no longer be bothered with Windows.

Until this point, I had been addicted to KDE. It was more customisable, it looked pretty. However, I had begun to tinker with ubuntu-desktop. It was nice, but I kept coming back. Notwithstanding, I downloaded the Ubuntu CD and installed the GNOME version. I liked it. I had grown to appreciate the beauty of simplicity, and had begun to feel KDE was crude and cluttered. I still look at kde-core from time to time. See what it's like. I don't think I'll be using it full time until KDE4, though, if then.

So, I was using Ubuntu Dapper (the development versions; yeah, I'm adventurous!) non-stop until about August this year. I had had a try with Gentoo, but it had failed and baffled me. Now, however, I was stronger. I gave it another try. It took two days to build a system with a functional GNOME desktop. Then it needed customising. That took two more days: I got my fonts to be pretty, and the Ubuntu Artwork installed. I noticed it was slightly faster than Ubuntu (as a thread I posted here shows), but not worth the time.

So I reinstalled Ubuntu. I love the community, and the polish. It does Just Work(tm). I don't need to do anything nitty-gritty beyond customisation. It's fantastic. I did leave for Gentoo, but I knew in my heart I'd return, and I did, never to leave again.

Mihkal
October 24th, 2006, 11:29 PM
I have to say goodbye to ubuntu every morning, before I go to my windows ridden school. ;_;

And when I get home I say "Hello ubuntu!".

rfruth
October 24th, 2006, 11:32 PM
You say yes, I say no
You say stop and I say go, go, go
Oh, no
You say goodbye and I say hello
Hello, hello
I don't know why you say goodbye
I say hello
Hello, hello
I say hello

Wasn't there a Beetles song along these lines :-k

brash
October 24th, 2006, 11:36 PM
Not with Ubuntu, but I did buy a bunch of cheap $150 discount computers from Fry's for my four kids that all came preinstalled with Linspire. Since I had always been curious about Linux, and this was nicely preinstalled for me, I took an excited look at it however the highly "commercial" paid-subscription nature of the Linspire package didn't appeal to me at the time, so I almost immediately reformatted the computers with WinXP. Now I am feeling increasingly disgusted with some of the information I have been hearing about Vista, so trying Linux again in the hopes that, slowly over a year or so, I can migrate all of our households ten desktops to Linux. Unfortunately, since the primary use of computers in our overstuffed household (four kids, four adults) is gaming, it might not work out. However the only way to be sure is to try.

Right now I have one computer with only Ubuntu and am trying to stay just on that computer so that I can get comfortable with Linux (I have a KVM switch to another computer with XP in case I get withdrawl symptoms). I'm the only semi-geek in the house, and not a very good one compared to most of the people in these forums, so if we ever do migrate the household over to Linux it means I need to learn it inside and out myself first. I expect that might take weeks/months to get fully "fluent"; meantime I think of it like learning a foreign language, where you need to completely submerge yourself to really get the hang of it. However, until the day comes that the household can play Sims2, FFXI, EQ2, Oblivion and the like, we will probably unfortunately have to stay primarily with Windows.

I keep hoping that maybe at some point there will be some kind of "Linux breakthrough" that opens the door to easier gaming. I was very disappointed to find out that NWN2 won't have a linux version, as I was hoping to use that game as an excuse to convert over a few of our "gaming" rigs.

Meantime, it is not always easy but reminds me a bit of first learning Windows 3.11 & DOS.

I think Linux will be helped a lot via the LiveCDs that let people try it out without a harddrive install or much technical tweaking, and also I am more open today than I was a year or so ago, to quasi "commercial" packages like Cedega or Linspire, and fund themselves through subscription models. But I chose Ubuntu because I really prefer the open source / "free cost" route if possible, especially on a limited income and a lot of kids in the house.

total wormage
October 24th, 2006, 11:40 PM
i said goodbye to brief encounters with mandrake and suse9 and 10
i tried ubuntu and didn't like gnome (i would love to like it though) so switched back to suse10 i think (can you believe how lazy i am! :\)

So i tried kubuntu after a while and that still survives, i like these forums the most :p

now i'm dual-booting between kubuntu and random distro's, but i think i will always come back to kubuntu

Buffalo Soldier
October 24th, 2006, 11:50 PM
tried 3-4 other distros. was using each of them for a week or so. but at the end, i keep coming back to ubuntu.

d3v1ant_0n3
October 25th, 2006, 12:06 AM
Ubuntu was my first distro. I had hassles with setting up my video drivers right (well, 3d rendering at least). I kept breaking things, and everything was so...weird. (I'd come from windows after all). I tried Kubuntu, and it was better for me. I liked the interface more. I liked the programs more. But it still wasn't right. So I thought I'd try a couple more distros. I tired PCLOS, and it was pretty. But odd. And I STILL couldn't set up 3d rendering at all. I tried Mepis. I liked Mepis a lot. Then I hosed my system (something, somewhere on this laptop is very very broken). And I couldn't find my Mepis disk. So I thought 'Oh, I have an Ubuntu disc- that'll keep me running til I can find my Mepis disk. I found my mepis disk a month or two ago. But I'm still with Ubuntu. Well, Kubuntu technically. And my 3d rendering works now:p

John.Michael.Kane
October 25th, 2006, 01:55 AM
aysiu I have been on ubuntu since my join date,however. I have tried other distro's just for fun not with the intent of moving over to them.

mushroom
October 25th, 2006, 02:01 AM
I said "Goodbye" to Ubuntu Hoary and went back to Debian. Then I got tired of using KDE 3.3 and GNOME 2.6 (seriously) and moved to Breezy. This was also around the time I removed Windows entirely. I bought a Mac for my music-making needs and haven't looked back since.

qamelian
October 25th, 2006, 02:08 AM
I've been using Ubuntu since shortly after the Warty release. Before that I had skipping from Red Hat to Mandrake to SuSE. I started using Linux out of curiosity when a computer magazine I used to buy regularly gave away a copy of SuSE 5.3 on a cover CD. It took me three days to figure out how to get X working and to make my sound card do anything. A month later I dropped Windows for everything except games. That was almost 8 years ago and I've never looked back. I've always been able to find a way to get Linux to do whatever I needed it to do. Linux get easier all the time and Ubuntu has for the most part been a joy for me to use.

You'll get me back on Windows when you can pry the warthog/hedgehog/badger/drake/eft from my cold, dead hands.

And I doubt I ever seriously considering using one the the BSDs again as I have yet to find one that can even boot the install CD on either my desktop or laptop. For some reason every BSD installer I've ever tried just freezes up and dies, although the Freesbie live CD worked.

Albi
October 25th, 2006, 03:33 AM
I installed 5.10 on my older computer. All I remember from then was that it was really hard to update firefox from 1.0 to 1.5, and Opera wouldn't install either (something about missing dependencies--i had no idea how to fix it at the time).

I tried the live cd on my newer computer when 6.06 came out, and i liked how fast it was on this computer, and the problems with firefox and opera were gone, so I just went ahead and made a 30gb partition for ubuntu

Donshyoku
October 25th, 2006, 03:54 AM
I am a split-personality when it comes to computers. One week is Ubuntu and the next it is Windows. The only reason for this was that, at the time, Ubuntu/Linux was a little immature. It wasn't compatible with my hardware, I couldn't get decent WPA support, so on and so on.

But I never said "goodbye." There were time periods where I would go for Windows on both of my computers (laptop and desktop) and sometimes with Ubuntu on both. There are also times that I tried other distros.

But this is nothing special. Such is the life of a geek. I like Ubuntu but I don't have a strong loyalty to it so much that I forsake other OSs/distros. I am just looking for the best deal for me and as my hardware and lifestyle changes, so does my computer.

ice60
October 25th, 2006, 04:03 AM
i said goodbye when i realised what an effort it would be to get it installed on my hardware - sata fakeraid. i use suse instead because it was the lastest distro i had at the time and installed without any problems. i sometimes run ubuntu in vmware.

zachtib
October 25th, 2006, 06:01 AM
sort of,

I tried ubuntu from the very beginning, with 4.10. problem was, i had no idea what apt was, and as my primary use for linux was a webserver, i couldn't figure out how to get apache working >.<, so I went back to fedora, because it had all the necessary packages on the discs. About 6 months later, when I decided to use Linux on the desktop, I decided to go with something I could pick up at the store, so I bought a copy of SuSE 9.1. I later upgraded to 9.2 and 9.3, then I got to college and couldn't get SuSE 9.3 to connect to the WPA network here. At this time, Ubuntu 5.10 RC1 was out. I don't know why, but I gave it another shot, and it's been my only operating system ever since, save for playing around with SLED10 for a few days over the summer.

woedend
October 25th, 2006, 06:15 AM
i said goodbye months ago. Ubuntu is great in that it got me started into linux and I loved it. But I feel it's moving in an opposite direction that I was...ie it's being dumbed down a bit...made a bit TOO simple. This is not an insult at all, i'm sure that's where the devs wanted to be heading to get the everyday user into ubuntu. But the cost to me was certain usability annoyances and speed. I check in here and there to check status, and may come back one day(especially if the grumpy rolling release version ever comes to fruition...id love that), but for now i'm completely happy with arch linux. I still come here to help where I can because...well the arch linux forums people don't seem to need much help that I can give, and are very brilliant. Plus, theres a lot of interesting things going on in the cafe :p.

FISHERMAN
October 25th, 2006, 07:00 AM
I switched to a different distro two months ago, but I stay on these forums because Ubuntu has the best community.

Bezmotivnik
October 25th, 2006, 07:41 AM
I like Ubuntu, but it's just not good enough yet (6.04) to handle wireless in any predictable way (card X may work for you, but not for me), so I'm temporarily off until this develops more. I'll try 6.10 and see how that goes. If it works, and I sincerely hope it does, fine -- if not, I'll be off again until 7.04. :neutral:

I'm not going to kill myself trying to kludge my way out of an OS's hardware-support inadequacies. I don't consider that my job. With Linux, you have to assume a philosophical attitude and exercise patience. I hope they get this worked out before I forget everything I know about running Linux. ;)

leev
October 25th, 2006, 08:02 AM
I settled on Ubuntu (after trying many distros) for the community mostly, and because it also fully supported my hardware. Ubuntu has worked for me with only a few minor annoyances. I'm not leaving it any time soon.

dmizer
October 25th, 2006, 08:17 AM
i voted other.

i have several computers. a server and a few laptops at home, as well as a power desktop and laptop at work. the only computer that has remained entirely ubuntu since it's first install has been my server at home. the rest of my machines have gone through several different distros for several different reasons (mostly just experimentation), but always coming back to ubuntu.

my laptop at work refused to run ubuntu. something funky about the hardware. i spent about a month trying to get everything ironed out and was never successful. so in desperation i installed fedora core5 on it, which worked nearly flawlessly after about a week of configuration. so that laptop will likely never be returned to ubuntu. i think its hardware is simply not compatible with ubuntu.

so other because:
i have at least one machine that always has been, and most likely always will be ubuntu, and i have at least one machine that once was, and most likely never will be ubuntu again.

Brynster
October 25th, 2006, 08:43 AM
For want of a better term of phrase i was a "Distro-Ho" having tried

Linspire 4.5 (My first linux distro)
Linspire 5.0
Suse9.3
Suse10.0
Suse10.1
Mandriva
Rdhat
Fedora Core
Arch
Slax
Kubuntu

and then finally Dapper and it stuck, Gnome took a little dealing with but after a few weeks it all just fell into place. I have also been incredibly lucky with hardware detection and drivers, the only issue i have is with my old Ati video card in my laptop not being supported by Ati's drivers.

mssever
October 25th, 2006, 08:53 AM
My first experience with Linux was in 1998 when I started college and their e-mail was via telnet to the Linux server and pine. I quickly began to miss the command line on my family's ancient Mac.

My first actual install was Debian (woody or potato, I don't remember which) that a friend helped me with, but I ended up ditching that machine because of too much bad hardware. When I got a new machine, I used the CDs that were handy, since I didn't have broadband at the time: Red Hat 7.3. It was a pain to administer, though, but I didn't want to switch distros and lose all the work I'd done.

Then, in 2003, I got a laptop with XP and learned that with XP, Microsoft had fixed the stability issues that I'd previously had with Windows 95/98. I could actually go for months without rebooting (thanks to hibernation). I tried to put Linux on my laptop, but couldn't find any tools at the time to resize my NTFS partition--and I didn't want to nuke it.

So, I used Windows up to last April win my laptop's hard drive crashed, making me temporarily switch to my little-used RH 7.3 desktop. In the process of trying to upgrade and install the software I needed and encountering dependency hell, I swore that I'd never again use an RPM-based system. So, I went back to Debian. But I never could get X working properly in Debian, so I gave up and went back to my XP laptop.

In June, I stumbled upon a review of Ubuntu, and thought it was worth a try (after all, it's based on APT). After it installed perfectly on my desktop, I tried it on my laptop. Since June, I've only used Windows a handful of times, and Ubuntu is my distro of choice. I'd like to mess with Gentoo sometime, but not until I have enough disk space to run a VM--I like Ubuntu too well.

So, I've said goodbye to other distros (Red Hat and Debian), but I'm here to stay forthe foreseeable future.

argie
October 25th, 2006, 09:08 AM
I said goodbye to RedHat 8, then came back to 9, then bye again, then back to Ubuntu. Now, it's goodbye to windows.

beercz
October 25th, 2006, 09:20 AM
I say goodbye to ubuntu every time I shutdown my laptop.:D

Sunnz
October 25th, 2006, 11:34 AM
At the Canberra free software day, those FOSS guys always try to give me a bunch of Ubuntu CDs... but I am still trying to give out my own 10+ Ubuntu CDs to friends, so I was like, "Nooooo, I don't want Ubuntu, give me that Gentoo 2006.1 CD." as Gentoo doesn't ships out CDs for free!! It is quite weird to say no to something to you like.

public_void
October 25th, 2006, 12:22 PM
I say goodbye to ubuntu every time I shutdown my laptop.

Same here, and I miss it when in Windows. I'm installing Gentoo on another box at the moment. But hopefully I'll never say bye to Ubuntu because of it being my first Linux distro.

nocturn
October 25th, 2006, 12:30 PM
I went like this
RedHat 5 (1997) -> SuSE, bye to windows in 1999 -> Mandrake -> Gentoo -> Ubuntu Warty (2004), Hoary, Breezy, Dapper and now Edgy.

Sidesteps where to Mepis, Knoppix, FreeBSD and many others, but never as main OS (except FreeBSD for 2 years on my server).

ember
October 25th, 2006, 01:39 PM
Well, like most of us, I never said good bye to Ubuntu. I came from SuSE (starting from version 5.1, I think), tried Fedora Core, Debian and settled with Ubuntu 4.10.

I am dual-booting since then, at least until dapper ceased booting (which finally solved - uaah!), but even when Ubuntu did not work I just tried other distributions and did not start a "Ubuntu stole my teddybear" whining thread. To me these all seem like people need only more attention.

shrimphead
October 25th, 2006, 01:54 PM
I'm not gonna list all of th distros that I've tried, I'd be here for ages... Ubuntu was the first distro that I've found that really "clicked" with me and I'm sticking to it.

However I say that I did leave once when I started getting heavily into PC gaming again. But I very quickly came back when I remembered how much of a pita windows was to use and keep clean. Now I dual boot, with a small windows partition for my games (company of heroes and EVE at the moment :D)

Kateikyoushi
October 25th, 2006, 02:09 PM
I never said goodbye, but I use it only for a month. ;)
The "I am leaving" and similar venting threads are common on every linux forum and mailing lists, heck I bet they appear on the MS mail lists.

shrimphead
October 25th, 2006, 02:47 PM
<snipped>

sorry double post, damn slow PC =/

fuscia
October 25th, 2006, 02:51 PM
i almost never said 'hello'. i couldn't figure out how to get my wireless to work (did some whining about it). eventually, i just installed and hoped i could get it to work. and, i was really tempted, for about two hours, to get a mac, at one point. aysiu was one of the people who talked me out of it.

bonzodog
October 25th, 2006, 02:57 PM
Yeah, after using slackware as the main Home OS since 2000, I switched to Ubuntu last year after Patrick chucked gnome out.

But, I found myself not satisfied with the way Ubuntu did things, and building software was a pain. Also, i noticed Ubuntu seemd very bloated in comparison to what i was used to.

I then discovered Zenwalk Linux, and haven't looked back. Zenwalk is everything I want in a distro, it is to Slackware what Ubuntu is to Debian.

I still hang around in here though, and help out where possible.

Brunellus
October 25th, 2006, 03:32 PM
I started in SuSE, said hello there, said goodbye when dependency hell hit, and spent my time distroshopping. Jumped to Ubuntu within four weeks of Warty's release. Have been defending it (viciously) from Not Ready Trolls (Trollus nonparatus) for almost as long.

.t.
October 25th, 2006, 03:35 PM
As it's plural, shouldn't it be "trolli nonparati"?

Brunellus
October 25th, 2006, 03:49 PM
As it's plural, shouldn't it be "trolli nonparati"?
scientific names of species are not usually pluralized; Lingua latina quae in Anglice translata est saepissime differt lingua Latina vera.

Yossarian
October 25th, 2006, 03:52 PM
I stopped using it on my main PC, and now use windows on it. It worked beatifully, and I loved it, I just liked windows better.

I still powers an older PC in my study, though. Works great.

.t.
October 25th, 2006, 03:53 PM
scientific names of species are not usually pluralized; Lingua latina quae in Anglice translata est saepissime differt lingua Latina vera.
ita vero!

tubasoldier
October 25th, 2006, 03:58 PM
I voted Other. I'm thinking about leaving Ubuntu. At least for my laptop anyways.

Wireless works in Ubuntu but network roaming is like pulling teeth. Ok, thats quite a bit exaggurated. But wireless network hopping is much easier is Mandriva or in Linspire. Both distros have things that I dont like but with as much wireless roaming as I do I'm about done with Ubuntu on my laptop.

But before I actually say "goodbye" I'm going to spend the time to check out all the wireless program alternatives. wifi-radar looks cool, I'll have to give that a shot.

UltraMathMan
October 25th, 2006, 04:38 PM
Started with Slackware 9.0 on a old computer I had (LOTS of reinstalls) battled through setting things up to the point where I could use the serial mouse, use the GUI (KDE) and print to my serial printer (never got wireless working, though I tried ndiswrapper). After a few months I wanted internet and moved to Win 98SE.

Also fooled briefly with Redhat, Mandrake, and maybe one or two other distros (but didn't get too far past the install). I then got a new (used) Inspiron 5160, and tried Hoary, Slack, Linspire, Fedora but was having problems with the XGI video card (blech!) and so stuck with XP. This summer I bought an Inspiron E1505 for college and Dapper went on almost flawlessly (the wireless worked out of box and I was hooked). Some configuration later Ubuntu is now my primary OS (haven't booted into XP for over a month - and everytime I do I find myself missing Linux features).

EdThaSlayer
October 25th, 2006, 05:59 PM
I did think about changing from Ubuntu after several friends were like "You use that OS?" and "what? it cant run my [windows] software?"

but then i thought about myself. I like programming and dont really play games, so it was cool :cool:

serlex
October 26th, 2006, 08:16 PM
i said bye, but I'm back. I like to use Ubuntu all the time, but getting university wireless to work is holding me back

ago
October 26th, 2006, 08:23 PM
I have been with Ubuntu since Warty... Never looked back, never even tried another OS since... I was with Debian before, and Gentoo before that, and RH and Mandrake where my first encounters quite a few years back. I have not dual booted in the past 2 years except for odd reasons (like trying out google earth).

puppy
October 26th, 2006, 08:28 PM
I tried out lots of linux distros over a period of about two years, had some real dependency hell, mandriva didn't (and still doesn't!) recognise my perfectly standard keyboard and mouse :-#

Then I found Dapper... and *then* I found Edgy :D And now lots of my friends are finding Ubuntu too (but that's what Ubuntu is all about right? ;) )

FyreBrand
October 26th, 2006, 08:31 PM
My OS deal:
FC 4/5 ----> Breezy -----> Dapper -----> Edgy ----->
MS-Dual Boot------------|nuked|

One key is that for a long time I only had dial-up and an Intel WinModem. Once I got DSL my Windows partition withered and died pretty quick. Dapper met all my needs and Windows was sucking up a 50GB partition for one game. So I nuked it and have never looked back.

I love Ubuntu/Kubuntu. I've looked at Mandrive, SUSE, and a few others, but they didn't have anything over Ubuntu.

Mostly what has kept me using this distro through my OS problems is the community. It's the best. I think that is a significant factor in what makes this distro GREAT!

MedivhX
October 26th, 2006, 08:34 PM
Ubuntu has got 1 more chance at me... He blocks every time I boot it (first time it blocks by itself, and other times it blocks when I start Firefox)... Afer 3-4 boots it runs normally when I start Firefox, and everything's cool... I will give 1 more chance to new version Edgy, but if it keeps on doing it, i'm leaving Ubuntu 'cause I'm really getting nerved...

Brunellus
October 26th, 2006, 08:40 PM
Ubuntu has got 1 more chance at me... He blocks every time I boot it (first time it blocks by itself, and other times it blocks when I start Firefox)... Afer 3-4 boots it runs normally when I start Firefox, and everything's cool... I will give 1 more chance to new version Edgy, but if it keeps on doing it, i'm leaving Ubuntu 'cause I'm really getting nerved...
you are likely not using the right version. x86 is what you should be using, unless you're SURE you're using an AMD64 chip.

lazyart
October 26th, 2006, 08:47 PM
Wow, this is so funny because I was just thinking of starting a tread just like this one.

I tried Red Hat and Mandrake 4 or 5 years ago. I gave up quickly after my usual Windows approach to things just didnt work. What struck me most odd was the Gtk interfaces. You know... the steely gray skin with the option boxes that you can't quite tell if they are set or not?

About a year ago I tried to set up a MythTV box but it didnt quite work and I didnt know how to fix it and ended up doing a similar thing through Windows. I also found out about Live CDs and thought they were the coolest thing. A friend gave me and Astrumi disk (password recovery) and then later a Warty CD but I only used it once-- wasn't really interested in trying it at the time.

Through a project at work I was introduced to Acronis True Image, whose recovery CD is actually a mini linux disto. I tried to reverse engineer it to work on a removeable drive but never succeeded... but that got me interested all over again. So I grabbed a box that wasnt in use (P4 2.0) and installed Dapper a couple weeks ago. I went back to my Windows machine once since then. No rush to look back. :) It's different than XP but I'm patient enough to learn. I feel good that I've been able to answer a question or two as well as glean information from past postings. Never really had to ask much-- search is my friend.

MedivhX
October 26th, 2006, 08:51 PM
I have x86 and am using x86 version (I know that I'm not stupid + it was a ShipIt CD and is is written x86 version for PC)!!! In the beginning it was all normal, but when I think a bit more maybe I screwed up, when I was installing XGL on Dapper (unfortunately it was unsuccesful). If so it's my fault and I apologise... But I doubt that it was all because of stupid XGL!!!

Offtopic: Does the Edgy final include AIGLX???

AndyCooll
October 26th, 2006, 09:19 PM
Nope, I've never said goodbye.

I run various other distros in VMware. I like SUSE, Fedora, Debian and others but none have come close to tempting me away.

I just feel comfortable with Ubuntu. It's set up how I like it. I find it easy to set up. I like the default range of software and the ease of adding software if so wish. And I enjoy this community, the help available, and the documentation.

I simply haven't ever had any reason for a "goodbye".

:cool:

skymt
October 26th, 2006, 09:28 PM
I said "goodbye" during the Hoary era, because of a show-stopper bug in hardware support, and because I wanted a Gentoo-style rolling release style. So I switched to Debian Sid.

Breezy came out, the bug was gone, and I got tired of the dependency heck (not hell, that's Fedora) involved in running a distribution that's a constant beta. I've been on Ubuntu ever since.

chickengirl
October 26th, 2006, 09:29 PM
I said "OMG WTF GOODBYE!!" to Hoary after it stuck me with 640x480 resolution and the people on this very forum had nothing useful to say to me other than "lolz ur moniter must b rly old omg lolz if u try a biggur resalushin it will proly exploed cuz its so old and crappy lololol!!"

Fortunately, ubuntuforums seems to have acquired some grown-ups since then.

I said "hello" to Breezy after it finally figured out how to give me a non-playskool screen resolution.

And I said "helloooo, Dapper!" after the Dapper dist-upgrade mysteriously fixed some codec-related problems that I'd been having, and Xubuntu started to totally pwn.

I hope I'll be able to say "hellooooo, Edgy!" as well. :D

jbizz8
October 26th, 2006, 09:33 PM
My history started with Redhat 9 with dual boot. Didn't understand linux at all but kept it on cuz i felt smart. Then I upgraded to Fedora Core 3 then 4 and really didn't use them either. Then saw that Ubuntu made PC Worlds Top 100 for 2005. I installed and was HOOKED! But I almost said goodbye a couple of months ago with the fiasco with the bad update... but now... I am 100% ubuntified... and spreading word...

kintsa
October 27th, 2006, 01:22 PM
Well I have been dabbling with linux for 5 years now.
-Started with Mandrake 7(Mandriva now), was overwhelmed by the options, dial up modem didnt work and I said goodbye.:-|
-Tried Suse a year later, everything was perfect except support for my new Nvidia mobo, said goodbye again.:(
-Tried the Mandriva 10, liked it a lot but Network card didnt work, again goodbye. :mad:
-Installed Kubuntu from a PC mag cd, liked it and everything worked except that my windows developed a snag (putting it lightly) and had to be reinstalled, goodbye linux. ](*,)
-This August I installed Ubuntu 6, loved it enough to say goodbye to Windows till there was a problem and I couldnt log in anymore.... Dont worry, I didnt say goodbye, just reinstalled Kubuntu Dapper.

I am right now configuring the system to my likings, but help is not as easy to get as in Ubuntu. I would have remained with gnome if not for the horrible gstreamer..

Did anyone check out the Mandriva 2007 screenshots?? Looks damn seductive..

TeeAhr1
October 27th, 2006, 04:12 PM
NEVAR! Like Aysiu said in another thread, I just keep telling myself "This is fun, this is fun, this is fun..." ;)

deepwave
October 27th, 2006, 04:22 PM
First tried Ubuntu when 5.10 was out. I had a brand new computer and the ethernet card would not work. So I went back to Gentoo. 4 months ago I tired of using/fighting/begging Gentoo (system behaved like a irrational GF) I tried out Dapper.

I have used (k)Ubuntu ever since. Not planning on saying goodbye anytime soon.

mdsmedia
October 27th, 2006, 04:29 PM
Goodbye RedHat!(2003?) Hello Ubuntu!(2006)

Never got my internet up and running in RedHat, so I didnt use it much.

I managed to get internet working thru ppp (?) in RedHat about 5...maybe more like 7... years ago, but not much else.

I came back to Linux BECAUSE of Ubuntu about exactly 12 months ago. It's not easy. I can't wipe XP. But I love Linux and I love Ubuntu...it's home for me now and I can't see that changing.

mdsmedia
October 27th, 2006, 04:38 PM
I say hello

Wasn't there a Beetles song along these lines :-kActually no....I think it was the Beatles.

Nice rendition tho.

caravel
October 27th, 2006, 04:42 PM
I was messing about with Linux as early as 2003 I think. That was Mandrake 9.1 which I went out and bought on a kneejerk. I came home and formatted Windows 98SE, which I was still using at the time and installed without a hitch. After getting over my intitial Windows hatred thing, I ended up dual booting 98SE and Mandrake so that I could still play games. My problems started when I tried to get the Speedtouch 330 ADSL modem working. Got it working once but never again. Next I upgraded from a perfectly working Voodoo5 (OpenGL the lot)to an ATI graphics card that refused to work. I spent weeks on it, tried Mandrake 10.1 a year later (I think... ?) also, also and eventually gave up.

After that a friend offered me Win *cough* XP *cough* so I was using that ever since. So rock solid, so very stable. Alot more stable than Win98... well a 2 legged table is more stable than Win98, so that's not saying much for XP. And despite being a resource hogging pig with too many exploits to list, I stuck with it since 2004. The games I was running now ran slower than they did on 98SE!

Eventually this year, not playing games so much these days, I decided to look into Linux again and went for Ubuntu. Then I spent another few nightmarish evenings trying to set up... the ATI driver. Followed by sun java and the flash player. It was not easy but once it was done I was quite pleased with myself, and impressed with the knowledge of the members here, who provided me with the necessary info.

Then a few days later one morning after installing the 686 and K7 kernels the night before. Two errors on the desktop after gnome had loaded. Two programs crashing. I tried everything (I've another topic on this somewhere) and posted here with the crash dump and ll the information I could provide, but no one had a clue, and searching revealed nothing, even in google. Frustrated I formatted and nearly turned to the dark side, but instead installed Fedora Core 5. This was ok, but yum is just not the same as apt, and this community is way better. The fglrx driver gave me more problems also, so I decided to get rid of it and go back to Kubuntu. And here I am now. I just need to finish configuring the fglrx driver tonight and I'll be back in business *fingers crossed*

The problem for me is, and I'm sure other's have the same problems, that if I spend this kind of time on a Linux distro, my wife who doesn't understand this sort of thing, get's annoyed that I'm "wasting my time with that linux again". I can see her point sometimes as well.

scotty32
October 27th, 2006, 05:00 PM
i havent said "goodbye" as such,

but am currently "attempting" to migrate over to linux (ubuntu) from windows xp

i tried ubuntu 5.10 after hearin bout it, kinda liked it (nice fresh change from windows) found out about kubuntu - installed that (had duel boot, windows, ubuntu and kubuntu [yeah, i NOW know you can run kde and gnome on one ubuntu install :rolleyes: )

cant remember wot happened but wiped it all (prob screwed them up tryna set stuff up) had kubuntu, heard you could run gnome and kde at same time, did that - it seemed to screw up my system (could never get into kde) formated reinstalled ubunutu

meh got round to now, where i have ubuntu dapper (tryna get edgy) and windows - done millions of ubuntu installs to start a fresh

would love to have /home as its own partion (recently found out i *can* do that) but dont have the HD space :(

anyway, i wanna set ubuntu up perfect before i ditch windows, but wot ever i try doesnt work (sort of got TV workin, but isnt perfect, can never sync my PocketPC with evolution, and verious other things)

theres things i like about KDE (eg bluetooth looks better, and i love that Shade thing on widnows) and i like things bout Gnome, would love a system that had best of both worlds :(

meh for now ama stick with ubuntu though i spend to much time on windows :( mostly cose ubuntu doesnt work (aka my lack of knowledge)

meh dunno if that counts in these thread - tuff like if it doesnt
bye

insane_alien
October 27th, 2006, 05:21 PM
i have said goodbye but in the sort of way you say goodbye to your family if your going out for a bit.

mssever
October 27th, 2006, 09:57 PM
I would have remained with gnome if not for the horrible gstreamer..

GStreamer is horrible, I agree. So I replaced GStreamer with xine (from Automatix, I think) and everything works now (except for Songbird, which is in the very early stages of development).

dada1958
October 27th, 2006, 10:53 PM
It all began with Hoary on my good old G4 iMac, August 2005 and I was lost. Not that I disliked Mac OS X Tiger which I only got to gain benefit from the updates of my favorite apps, TeXShop and Quicksilver, otherwise I'd stick to Panther without a hitch.
Playing with Ubuntu Linux has always been a pleasant challenge, I experienced the old joy of computing once again, I started to think and buy different. My next Ubuntu PC will be a self build one, also a result of choices.
I read about other distros but one culture shock at a time will do. Apple's switch to POSIX was a very good thing though :cool:

djsroknrol
October 28th, 2006, 12:54 AM
I run 4 distros on my rig....Win2000Pro, Dapper, PCLOS, and Arch...I'm hung up on PCLOS for it's ease of use and KDE, but Ubuntu is always there for me, and I don't think I'll be saying goodbye to it anytime soon...it's my most stable of the bunch...

kuja
October 28th, 2006, 01:06 AM
Hmmm, what to say, what to say. I've ran a few linux distros. My first experience was Madrake Move, but after that taste I wanted an install... Tried SuSE, dumped it within a week, installed Mandrake, dumped it when it came time to upgrade after a scary experience known only as RPM hell. That's when I finally did something right and installed Debian, about a month before Sarge was released. Somewhere in the midst of that I installed Ubuntu on a second partition. I learnt two things from that. 1) I don't like GNOME. 2) Warty liked to randomly crash and segfault. I came back to Ubuntu (or Kubuntu rather) when I was looking for a 64-bit distro, as I was having trouble finding the page for it in Debian. I can't believe it has been a year of using Kubuntu already. Time flies huh?

spockrock
October 28th, 2006, 01:16 AM
I left ubuntu and came back, I first tried ubuntu and was fiddling around with it, granted, I was new to linux even though tried different distros before. I ran into dependency issues, and found my self installing debian debs (I still hadn't grasped the repository thing, I was doing the windows surf and install thing). So I was like why the fdisk don't I switch to debian. I did, and then it took me a week to get gnome up and running. After I felt like a mumbo gee whiz...I was like fdisk this, going back to ubuntu. Figured out what how ubuntu and debian worked, grew to love the operating system. I was having a blast with hoary, breezy, then switched to dapper for xgl and compiz. I found myself more on my seconday box playing with linux then on my primary machine with expee, so I installed dapper on my primary box, and now both my computers are now primarily ubuntu. Been a hoary, breezy, dapper and now edgy user. I don't see my self switching any time soon.

m.musashi
November 15th, 2006, 12:58 AM
I hit the wrong button. I've never said goodbye. Ubuntu was my first linux. I started using it almost exactly a year ago. I have played around with others but never said goodbye. Ubuntu is my primary OS on every computer I use (except work but I have installed it on a few there too:)). I have Windows on most as a dual boot but I just got done setting up my laptop with Ubuntu ONLY! I've very happy with it. That being said, I have my share of problems but I usually work them out (as well as cause most of them by "playing" around). My wife and kids also use Ubuntu. I recently looked at Sabayon which I thought was really cool but it didn't like my laptop as well as Ubuntu and the forums were not quite on par. Trying a different distro is almost as hard as giving up windows habits. Ubuntu just "feels" right to me.

xpod
November 15th, 2006, 01:30 AM
Well i used windows for a few months and have now used ubuntu for a few months...
It was of course "goodbye" windows though and could never now be nothing more than a "goodnight" to ubuntu

Goodnight:D

ekuliak
November 15th, 2006, 03:56 AM
I've been using Linux (first Mandriva, now Ubuntu) since Janurary 2006. I have never said goodbye, but during long breaks from school I have said "I'll be right back" and spent a few hours on windows for (insert name here) game.

To me, windows is no longer a desktop operating system as much as it is a computer gaming platform. Of course, whenever I can, I prefer to play games on Linux (because I don't like having to reboot to play a game), and most of my favorites I have been able to get to work. In fact, finding out that UT2004 ran natively on Linux was one of the primary reasons why I even tried Linux in the first place. 8)

I havn't booted into my Windows partition since August, and probably won't till December (I still have to finish Oblivion!)

hellmet
November 15th, 2006, 05:05 AM
said gud bye, and came back..
after using ubuntu breezy in its initial
days for a few weeks, I got SO FRUSTRATED..
coz it was my first Linux experience...that I went
back to XP..

But.. XP din have Linux's stability and soon pulled mt back to
Ubuntu.. this time around to Dapper.. and I stuck with it..

I AM HAPPY WITH IT

Patrick K.
November 15th, 2006, 05:12 AM
Once I said hello, I never said goodbye. However I have said "I'll be back" a few times just to use my printer that only works with Windows at the moment.

viper
November 15th, 2006, 05:38 AM
Yeah, when i shut down for the night ;)

ericesque
November 15th, 2006, 05:41 AM
Bah. Screw this whole hello goodbye rigamarole.

I started using ubuntu early in Breezy's cycle. I more or less initiated myself in Kubuntu and wound up switching to Ubuntu when I realized that Gnome beats the pants off of KDE. I didn't use Ubuntu full time until just before Dapper was released. Used dapper full time until about 2 weeks before edgy came out-- when it took a dump. That experience + getting married = more up-time for win than Ubuntu. I haven't said goodbye, but I'm finding myself looking more forward to the feisty release than caring much about edgy.

gnomeuser
November 15th, 2006, 07:45 AM
I've said goodbye to Ubuntu in the sense that my main desktop runs Fedora since I plain like that better, but I have machines running Ubuntu as well both personal machines and external ones I'm commited to supporting.

I guess that does sorta make me a traitor..

yabbadabbadont
November 15th, 2006, 07:59 AM
I use Gentoo until something happens that ticks me off, then I switch to Ubuntu until something happens that ticks me off, then I switch to Gentoo until something happens that ticks me.... whoa! Dejavu! :D

No OS lasts more than two or three months on my machine. I've installed and removed as many as five different OS's in one 24 hour period before. (I was extremely bored)

shining
November 15th, 2006, 12:58 PM
I use Gentoo until something happens that ticks me off, then I switch to Ubuntu until something happens that ticks me off, then I switch to Gentoo until something happens that ticks me.... whoa! Dejavu! :D

What about just installing both, that will save you some installing time (a lot for gentoo) :)

I say that, but I'm actually doing the same. I try Ubuntu from times to times to see where it's going, and I eventually replace it with another distrib, which is Debian currently.
I don't really like the ubuntu development / release system, the line they made between the different flavors, and several other things they changed. I think I prefer Debian in about every aspects.
The two things I prefer in Ubuntu are actually driven by proprietary tools, bug reporting with launchpad, and forums with vBulletin. But I like launchpad for the tool itself, not the contents, and the opposite for the forums. :)

yabbadabbadont
November 15th, 2006, 01:06 PM
What about just installing both, that will save you some installing time (a lot for gentoo) :)

Where's the fun in that?!? When I'm pissed, I want to destroy something. :twisted: :lol:

(I have full backups from which to restore Gentoo and I have a cron job that rsync's my home directory to a backup drive for Ubuntu.)

((I'm only two exits past crazy... not clear into the next state. ;)))

uNmentaLogic
November 15th, 2006, 01:23 PM
I voted other because I have flip-flopped back and forward between Windows XP Pro,Suse 10, 10.1, Slackware 11, Fedora Core 6, FreeBSD 6.0, 6.1, Breezy and Edgy. I will most likely put Vista on it in the future.

My laptop started out with XP Home and has had nearly all the above transitions on it. It is now running Fedora Core 6, I will probably install Edgy on it when I can be bothered downloading it.

Toontwnca
November 15th, 2006, 01:30 PM
I voted other.
All except the first choice apply to me in some form or other.

jkvv_1973
November 15th, 2006, 09:03 PM
Im still a gamer (counter-strike) plus I have cds of win games still lying around that Ive never installed...so Im in dual boot with WINXP (Dapper)

my first operational Linux is Ubuntu-Dapper...almost installed SUSE 10.1 first-just didnt happen>> let me just say that Im lucky to have installed/tried Dapper first for it was smooth sailing (minor problems with xorg and figuring out partitions) getting it up and running >>>compared to the frustrating experiences some ppl had with getting other/older versions of Linux up and running...I had it easy (c/o community/forum/moderators) - makes migrating to linux from windows appealing...thanks

bruce89
November 15th, 2006, 09:05 PM
Have you ever said "goodbye" to Ubuntu?
I might do if the binary graphics driver by default stuff happens. I was annnoyed enough about the capitulating to the Mozilla Corperation too.

Just to clear up, I install the binary drivers anyway. I would hate to see it by default, as 3D stuff is not "essential", which is a required trait for software in the restricted component. (and I suppose, installation by default)

earobinson
November 15th, 2006, 09:06 PM
Said goodbye to the forums before due to work but thats it :)

matt_risi
November 15th, 2006, 09:11 PM
Yes. Recently I got pissed off and killed my Ubuntu install, as it was my primary OS for a few months. I'd been using it since August and found it just had too many small hang-ups, like connecting to my university's wireless, small things I don't like about the OS, no iTunes, etc.

Enter installing windows from the restore cd's the came with my laptop.

Not even 2 weeks after I did this, fresh install of Edgy with a 5 gig partition for Windows. Crappy part is Windows hasn't found any of my hardware, as I didn't use the restore CD this time around (didn't like how it made a mandatory restore partition). So I have a next-to-useless Windows partition, and I'm writing to you from my primary OS, once again, Ubuntu Edgy 6.10. Dealing with the same problems that I did before with connectivity issues, just so I don't have to use Windows. Now THAT'S saying something.

louieb
November 15th, 2006, 09:39 PM
The first operating system i said good bye to was MP3 (operating system for an HP-3000). That was in the late 1970's. Since the it be audios amigo to MVS, GW-BASIC (Radio Shack TSR-80), CMS, DOS, OS2, Win 3.0 through Win 98. I'll move on from Linux when I find something I like better. Things change, I started programming in FORTRAN. Now I write (X)HTML and Java script. In between I've used a dozen different languages. Don't know what will be on my computer tomorrow.

PapaWiskas
November 15th, 2006, 09:52 PM
My hard drive crashed in my laptop, dead as a door nail. I had no restore disks from Sony, never got around to making the backup DVD it always told me I should make in XP. So after about 2 months with no laptop I finally bought a new hard drive, and put it in, and was like "Great, now what?" So I sat there for a long time just looking at it. So I went to use my wifes PC and was reading an article somewhere about installing OS'es and what not and this guy who wrote it basically said he missed his "Ubuntu" and I was like "What the hell is that?"

So I googled it, found the site, said to myself, "Oh No...it's Linux! Crap!" And then I thought, well if he said he could do it maybe I could this time, knowing I never had luck in the past trying to install Linux years ago. I downloaded the .iso, burned it , used the disc on my laptop and in less than half an hour I was sitting there in utter shock looking at my first GNOME desktop. And I was like "What the hell is this?"

That was December of last year, almost a whole year MS free. I have forced myself to learn and find ways of doing things in Linux that I used to do in XP. And it is possible, thanks to this awesome forum and the people who hang here, I have been lucky to have always receive help and guidance. I truly appreciate all of you who endlessly, help us noobs.

I have never said goodbye to Ubuntu, and I dont care to try any other distro, this does what I want it to do and more. I know I have alot more to learn, and maybe this wont always be the case, but until then, I am very comfortable and intend to stay.

deanlinkous
November 15th, 2006, 10:32 PM
Never really said hello but for trying it and then goodbye and that was it and recent events make me (even more) glad I did.

Sef
November 16th, 2006, 03:44 AM
I think I was using Lycoris, and tried Warty. Didn't like it. Ended up with Xandros, which was ok except my HP1650 couldn't work under it. Read about Breezy and came back to Ubuntu. Managed to get my PSC to work and have stuck with Ubuntu ever since.

Ubunted
November 16th, 2006, 06:18 AM
I used it exclusively for a few months on both my computers. I said "goodbye" when I got fed up with lousy speed, crummy ATi drivers, not being able to stream video in my browser and a bunch of other niggling little things pushed me too far.

Since then I toyed with it now and then. When I got my Thinkpad X30 and Windows took FOUR HOURS to install, update, reboot and choked detecting the wireless and display adapters (both standard Intel components) I stuck Dapper in and it's been full-time Ubuntu on the lappy since. I have been extremely happy with it and it is unlikely it will ever run anything else.

sktfeelsdapper
November 16th, 2006, 06:49 AM
I've explained my story a number of times I'm sure, in the forum here or on IRC but well...

I've been an avid windows user up until about 2 months ago, when I purchased a computer on Craigslist that came with a faulty?(wrong?) sound configuration and I didn't have any sound. I tried everything I possibly could only to have it not work (including installing a soundcard wrong). I was trolling around the forums on Craigslist and someone had mentioned to a post I'd made about Ubuntu. I went on the website and looked around for a bit, but continued to try and get my sound working with XP.

About a week or so later my computer completely borked, and I had no operating system. Remembering Ubuntu, I downloaded it on my other halfs computer and burned it and gave it a try. Right off the bat the sound worked so I knew it wasn't my fault (just some stupid kid needing money for lord knows what) and played around for a bit after installing.

I think since then I've installed Ubuntu almost 10 times.

For a while I went back to Windows, I tried Kubuntu, Xubuntu and Gentoo ( don't talk to me about Gentoo, I'm not about to wait days for it to compile and install) and always ended up back here. I dualboot now, until I get enough money for a larger harddrive but even then I might still dualboot.

I do want to say that this has been quite a learning experience for me, what makes a computer tick and so on. I've learned more about computers in 2 months then I think I have in my whole lifetime, even prompting me to learn to put them together so I can run all the goodies everyone else can. (Beryl and so on, tried several times on my setup and always ruin X).

So that's my story.

Bachstelze
November 16th, 2006, 09:40 AM
As for myself, I'm an old Debian user but I switched to Ubuntu back in the Hoary days. However, with Dapper and even more with Edgy, there are lots of liitle things annoying me (for example, the non-'vanilla' KDE, the idea of using UUIDs in /etc/fstab and grub/menu.lst which I never quite understood and some others I certainly forgot) so I switched back to Debian a few weeks ago but I still run Ubuntu (Breezy) on my web server because... well, it works pretty well like that and I'm just too lazy to reinstall Debian on it :D

feest
November 16th, 2006, 10:01 AM
i'm using ubuntu to be a replacemnet of ms windows. (i'm glad to announce that i recently removed windows :)) i can play media, music. i can make office files, i can browse the web, i can play games (native and cedega) i can do eveything windows can (and more)

a few things i like about ubuntu

-nice interface (if using kde nice effects, i use both gnome and kde)
-it's stable (but gnome is still far more stable than kde)
-it runs both ms apps and linux apps
-no more cd's in the drive viva apt
-get a free cd install it and you have a complete windows replacement including apps for free
-get cool useless stuf :)

and a lot more

so no, i don't say goodbye to Ubuntu, i say it to Windows.

neo_reloaded
November 17th, 2006, 12:52 AM
I said
Goodbye Edgy

because
1) WiFi vows
annoying disconnect/reconnect

2) Nothing much great in performance & stability compared to Dapper

3) Font patches does not make much difference

Anyway, never said goodbye Ubuntu..
Just said Hi Again, Dapper.

doobit
November 17th, 2006, 01:00 AM
I started with Mandrake which said goodbye to me and became Mandriva, I went to Mepis which worked pretty well, but was a bit cluttered, so I went to Puppy which was confusing to configure, so I went to DamnSmall, which worked Damn well for a while, until I grew out of it, then I went to Ubuntu 5.04 which has grown along with me, and now I use Edgy with a custom kernel.

emarkay
November 17th, 2006, 01:58 AM
I said goodbye, when I could not get simple things to work that I had done for years in Window$.

I made a mistake in presuming that Ubuntu was supposed to be an "Alternative" to Window$.

I have been beaten into submission [by more than a few here and there] that Ubuntu/Linux is still on some parallel universe from Window$, with no apparent desire to merge.

So I came back, only out of curiosity, and am just trying to get a configuration stable and secure enough here, so that when my anti-malware programs discontinue support for Win98SE in 2007, I can still "Internet".

I will continue to use Windows for my productivity, as I am not interested in spending days to find simple Linux alternatives to simple programs, to mess with WINE, or to eventually use some Linux program I am not satisfied with as a compromise.

MRK

cleverselfreferentialname
November 19th, 2006, 12:00 PM
When I was on Windows, I had a _generally_ pleasant experience. Then, Sony rootkit, both disc drives locked up, tried doing a recovery install, tried shrinking the partition, and lost all my data. Couldn't install drivers for my NIC, since they were on a CD. Then I tried shrinking the partition to put a new installation in a second partition, so I wouldn't lose my data in a reformat, having no backup media. The partition was thoroughly trashed by Partition Magic.

I don't believe that XP is an inherently bad OS, but I've been sick of Microsoft's immoral tactics for a long time, and at last decided to switch - to Lunar Linux.

That didn't work out well, fortunately it was in VMware.

I called a friend of mine, who I had thought more technically adequate than me, at least until I'd had my own machine for 6 months or so.

I told him that I was going to install Linux, and got the traditional "Linux is too hard, just reinstall" talk. For a while beforehand though, I had been reading about the advantages of FOSS, and believed it to be technically and morally superior to nonfree software.

He said his brother had an Ubuntu machine, and that it was easier.
Intially, I had been turned off by the name, but once I found out it was a humanistic concept, it got better. Peace, Love and Linux. \\//

His brother being a dude of great wisdom, in computing and otherwise, I installed Ubuntu. The first, oh, week or so was painful, not knowing how to install software or anything. I had my two or three months of the Linux zealotry phase, and then became a well-rounded freedom-in-computing advocate.

Aysiu always posts the most awesome threads.

Long live Linux, long live Stallman!

wrycatcher
December 12th, 2006, 11:51 PM
In less than 2 months, I've gone from WinXP to Ubuntu (Edgy) to Damn Small Linux and finally back to Ubuntu. WinXP's bloat and instability was the breaking point for me, despite the fact that it was a simple OS to use. DSL, while certainly sleek and blazingly fast, looked light a hodge-podge of lean, sometimes older software that wasn't always of the best quality or functionality. DSL also required a LOT more manual scripting and such to get basic things like Networking and Printing to work properly. I did rather enjoy the default minimalistic interface and the speed (yeah!), but not enough to make up for the pain of having to so much system config manually in a terminal window or via a script. Yes, I freely admit I don't want to spend hours fiddling with getting something as basic as a printer installed. Ubuntu also contains a nice suite of pre-loaded applications that are widely used/maintained and reflect today's user needs.

Ubuntu, with a few performance tweaks the 2nd time around, has been a great experience.

aktiwers
December 13th, 2006, 12:02 AM
Installed Ubuntu about 1 year ago, and haven't used anything else since.. oh yeah OSX on my Macbook.. But all other PC's here run Ubuntu!

mcduck
December 13th, 2006, 12:04 AM
Say goodbye to Ubuntu? How would I use my computer then?

stuh84
December 13th, 2006, 12:41 AM
Bit of a weird one how it started.

A friend of mine had a spare PC he couldn't get working. Seen as though we were housemates at the time, I said could I borrow it, see what I can do. After a lot of messsing, and finally reseating the RAM, it booted up fine.

I put in an old 30 GB drive I wasn't using, and was going to install Windows 2000. I couldn't find the disk though, and thought Linux might be a nice challenge, plus a proof that it can be made to work (unlike he tried a while ago, slight bit of competitiveness :P).

I went thru a fair few distro's (can't wait to get back to a non bandwidth limited connection....), Fedora and Suse were corrupted downloads (more than likely either the CD-RW's prob or downloading prob). I got hold of Dyne:bolic and it seemed....pretty okay. Not the greatest but workable. I then found Gnoppix and liked it, and saw it was based on Ubuntu. Downloaded Ubuntu, installed, and used it a lot. I then put Kubuntu on another partition, and used it more than Ubuntu. I then tried Windows 2000 on the side (just wanted to play a few old games), and hosed the thing. Now I could sort it in minutes (fixmbr and grub re-install, but I didn't know this at the time).

The PC was left to its own devices, and then I moved away from that house back to my parents 100 miles away. I got bored one day and installed Ubuntu on my spare desktop. Oh dear, Wireless troubles ahoy. Did the same on my laptop. I ignored Ubuntu (this is the goodbye section) for a long time, but out of interest (you could say wanting it to work) I tried Edgy. All of a sudden, wireless worked straight away on my Desktop, and on my laptop it worked with about 10 minutes of tweaking, rather than three months of pulling me hair out and forgetting about it.

Now I use Ubuntu as much as XP (more depending on my mood), it's great, I love it.

raul_
December 13th, 2006, 12:58 AM
I'm just too stubborn to give up

neemz
December 13th, 2006, 01:13 AM
For me I tried linux when redhat was new and the main used distro was slackware I think, infact I don't think KDE was even shipped back then, with the choices for a window manager being FVWM and TWM!

Needless to say it wasn't ready for the desktop so I went back to win98.

I then tried it again at the same time as I reformatted to install XP, I think Mandrake was what I tried then, and to be honest XP was far superior in the desktop workplace in 2001/2002.

I tried ubuntu since I heard it was good earlier in the year with hoary (or warty or something) and although it was a lot better I tired of having to spend days to get all my hardware to work properly. Hence I went back to XP.

2 months ago I tried a vista beta, and hated it so much I immediately switched all my computers to Ubuntu :p Decided I should get used to this while XP is still supported so that once everythings vista i'll have something im comfortable with.

With all the people who bash Microsoft I have this to say, Linux on the desktop is now a strong rival to windows xp, but windows XP is like 6 years old!

As far as traditional operating systems go there is a baseline of usability that xp has and linux nearly has, after that everything else is just fluff, an example of this is that microsoft have found it hard to make the same kind of significant improvement from xp to vista as it did from 3.11 to 95 or 98 to XP.

jimscafe
December 16th, 2006, 12:21 PM
This is my goodbye to Ubuntu - at least for now. I have been working 80% Ubuntu since April and really enjoyed using Linux. But there were still some things that didn't work and I had to use Windows for those. Then I bought a 19inch widescreen and Ubuntu wouldn't let me choose 1440 x 900 resolution. Read quite a few forum threads on the subject and it seemed like a lot of hit-and-miss trial to see if it would work. I love the 19inch monitor so had to say goodbye to Ubuntu. (Also I could not get my microphone in Ubuntu to work, again complex threads suggesting steps like recompiling the kernel, I did not even attempt them - so used Windows when I needed the microphone - Skype mainly).

This has been a great community - and I am sure it will succeed...but hardware compatibility (easy compatibility) is my reason for exiting Ubuntu.

awakatanka
December 16th, 2006, 12:32 PM
First try was mandrake had it for 3 months, then i tryed redhat and after a day i go back to windows. Last year i tryed (k)ubuntu breezy and after that a short time dapper. Now i'm with Mepis on laptop because it works stable. Only if i'm underway i use windows to connect on wireless hotspots. For my main i had used mepis but i'm searching to change to something new again. Tryed sayabon 3.2 but that distro isn't ready atm it's to unstable for me.Now i'm testing opensuse 10.2 and will see if i keep it on my main. Don't realy mis (k)ubuntu tryed edgy but that was unstable. Will try new versions but i don't think it will replace mepis. And main is only for playing around and testing.

Never say goodbye i just hang around and will try it again if i think its interesting.

gruffy-06
December 16th, 2006, 09:08 PM
Other OSes may be good enough for a while, but soon you will notice that Ubuntu totally rocks and you'll just come back onto it. The better Ubuntu gets, the better my satsfaction!

RAV TUX
December 16th, 2006, 09:17 PM
I keep saying:

"Hello Ubuntu!"

TLE
December 16th, 2006, 10:44 PM
I have never said goodbye. But I must admit that a couple of times.... (after having messed with wine/cedega ATI-driver game support an entire weekend totally in vain, ending up with my monitor raised above my head ready to toss out the window of our second floor apartment) ...I have had half the feeling that is wasn't worth it. But then I dual boot back into ******* and I'm there for like 10 minutes before it annoys me that there is only one desktop and that I have no real CLI and that nothing is really configurable, and then I come to my senses and go get a nice big hug from the penguin and boot back into Ubuntu.

PS: Don't tell my girlfriend I called her the penguin ;)

yabbadabbadont
December 16th, 2006, 11:51 PM
Just this weekend. Got the shakes from "Gentoo Withdrawal" and restored my Gentoo backups. I've got plenty of free space on a second drive, so I'm planning on putting Edgy on there and then switching it to Feisty. It will be fun to watch it evolve.

Gadren
December 17th, 2006, 12:07 AM
I really love Ubuntu, but right now, the only computer I have that's not a billion years old is the family computer which runs XP. I don't want to dual boot right now, so I'm not using Ubuntu right now; however, once I graduate from high school, I'll get a laptop on which Ubuntu will be installed. ^_^

vengeance316
December 17th, 2006, 12:18 AM
I've tried a LOT of Linux distros in search of the perfect one. I admit the only reason I tried ubuntu in the first place is because it was one of the few that worked on my PPC iBook at the time, so I dl'ed a live cd and tried it out. After the trials of getting through a triple boot configuration I have Xubuntu securely installed, and I don't think it will ever come off. Sometimes hardware issues make me wish it was a more mature distro where everything "just worked", but where's the fun in that? ;)

hoagie
December 17th, 2006, 12:28 AM
I first installed Ubuntu in version 5.10 Breezy.
I couldn't manage to get an Internet connection, so I got back to windows.
After reading a pc magazine about linux and Kubuntu I thought, hey why not to try that old thing again. Tried it, worked and then I upgraded to dapper. Since then Kubuntu became my main OS. Although I prefer gnome so I switched to Ubuntu.

thesmartace
December 17th, 2006, 12:33 AM
I said goodbye to Mandrake (network and a few other things didn't work) in 2005 to move onto Hoary. A few things didn't work but I stuck with it and with every new release of Ubuntu I see more and more reasons not to ever say goodbye to it.

I have Edgy running on my laptop and my desktop and my gf is keen to put Edgy on her computer now too.

mpampix
December 17th, 2006, 02:59 AM
I said Hello to Ubuntu a week ago, I switched to OpenBSD yesterday and just few minutes ago, after over 30 hours of trying to make OpenBSD functional, I said hello again to ubuntu (although I have kept the OpenBSD CD to try it during christmas on a second hard disk).

seijuro
December 17th, 2006, 03:11 AM
I've been playing with linux for years so I've said goodbye and hello to a ton of distros I really wanted to learn as much as I could about the whole *nix thing. My very first exposure to *nix was FreeBSD and as such it will probably always have a special place with me. I left FreeBSD at the time because there were no nvidia drivers and nv was still VERY experimental. I first ran into Ubuntu when Hoary was released, installed it saw a lot of promise even got my wife to switch to linux because of it. Been using it since except shortly after dapper came out I switched to Kubuntu never been happier with my main computer.

BarfBag
December 17th, 2006, 03:58 AM
Not sure which option this would under, so I voted Other. I said goodbye to Ubuntu, and ran into the open arms of Kubuntu. :mrgreen:

zigford
December 22nd, 2006, 06:22 AM
ahh the journey!

1996. My dad was studying Computer Science at uni and brought home Slackware 3.2
I didn't have a cdrom drive in my 386, so I installed it via 48 1.44m floppy disks (YAY)
I ran fvwm and spent many hours learning how to recompile my kernel to support my ne2000 ISA network card.

Back in those days distro's didn't come with every conceivable hardware driver conveniently pre-compiled as a kernel module, you _had_ to recompile the kernel to use it :)

I also tried Redhat 5, 6, but returned to Slackware many times as it was such a simple setup, you could easily understand the flow of the init scripts, and packaging system (or almost lack there of)

I faithfully used slackware until 2004 (mainly on my server, I had to have windows as I was a desktop support officer).

2004. I got a job as a Linux sys admin. I switched to Gentoo at home on my Server and spent soooo long compiling everything on an Celeron 400mhz.
Then just before Hoary reached EOL I jumped onto the Ubuntu wagon. I have since left for testing FC5 and FC6, but always return and now know that I like Ubuntu best (Mainly for community) Without the rich and strong community I could choose another. But hey! Also Ubuntu us the best!

lucid
December 22nd, 2006, 02:07 PM
I've been dual booting Ubuntu with XP since Hoary. I said goodbye after a round of updates broke X with Dapper. This isn't a criticism of Ubuntu btw. I'm sure it could have been fixed speedily but for a fair while I was hooked to World of Warcraft and that meant using Windows. So there was no need.

Now I have replaced XP with Ubuntu on my large hard drive as my main OS, and while I do intend to reinstall XP on the second hd at some point so far I haven't felt the need. It wasn't a true goodbye and I'm well and truly back now. :)

Voxxi
December 31st, 2006, 12:44 PM
The first distribution I ever tried was SuSE. Sound didn't work on it, it was slow and I didn't have the Internet. That lasted for a week. Moved back to Windows.

8 Months later....

Then I used Fedora Core 5 for a while, wireless didn't work on it, So I had dual-boot so I could the Internet on Windows. That worked for about a month. So I moved back to Windows.

6 months later....

I couldn't stay away, I downloaded Ubuntu Dapper 64bit and gave it a whirl. I installed it, and it wouldn't work beyond GRUB. I couldn't be bothered with it so, you guessed it, moved back to Windows.

NOTE : I didn't know about Ubuntu Forums then, and I was in the frame of mind about Linux, that if it doesn't work, you can't fix it. :rolleyes: I've since changed ;) .

2 months later....

I had enough of Windows, I bought a new graphics card and Windows couldn't handle it. I moved to Ubuntu Dapper 32bit, and I loved it. Of course, I had to go out and buy a new ADSL modem because my D-LINK wireless wasn't supported by Linux, even with NDIS wrapper.

A little while later I upgraded to Edgy and have never looked back. ;)

qlarsen
March 24th, 2007, 10:12 PM
just said hello 2 weeks ago. I've had to reinstall 3 times since (thats just fine for me). Since the last time I have been loving every minute of it.

karellen
March 24th, 2007, 10:54 PM
I said goodbye to fedora core (not such a painful farewell) and to opensuse (this was a harder departure, though)...and chose to stay with ubuntu

dada1958
March 24th, 2007, 11:22 PM
Why should I? I tried other distros: DreamLinux, Mint and Sabayon but none of them have the potential to replace Ubuntu here. Last week I got 'Ubuntu Unleashed' in the bookstore, wonderful book, so I'll stick to Ubuntu for a while :)

.oops
March 25th, 2007, 12:03 AM
About a year ago I installed Ubuntu for the first time. I was on a ethernet connection then, and everything worked out of the box, however, I never got very used to it, so I returned to Windows. About a year later, I was determined to return, and after 2 week (yes, two), "fighting" my computer, I finally got my wireless network working. I hope this time, for good. :)

Arisna
March 25th, 2007, 12:11 AM
I've been with Ubuntu for nine months. The baby is due any day now. :popcorn:

cowlip
March 25th, 2007, 12:11 AM
I'm waiting until Feisty +1 to try out Ubuntu again. I think by then, all my issues will be solved.

I'll just have to find new ones after that, I'm sure :)

lucid: Have you tried playing World of Warcraft using WINE on Ubuntu?

manicka
March 25th, 2007, 12:18 AM
my sincerest apologies for the comment that previously lived here

m.musashi
March 25th, 2007, 12:23 AM
Ubuntu and these forums were an unpleasant experience for me due in large part to the almighty UG. These forums are a blight on the Linux community.
Well, not having been a part of the Linux community until I discovered Ubuntu and this forum I would say that both are easily the bright side of Linux. Of course, if you consider my presence in the community a blight then you may be right. However, I think more and more newbies will be coming to Linux and someone somewhere needs to welcome them. I think welcoming is always better that slamming a door. I thank these forums for welcoming me.

dada1958
March 25th, 2007, 12:36 AM
Well, not having been a part of the Linux community until I discovered Ubuntu and this forum I would say that both are easily the bright side of Linux. Of course, if you consider my presence in the community a blight then you may be right. However, I think more and more newbies will be coming to Linux and someone somewhere needs to welcome them. I think welcoming is always better that slamming a door. I thank these forums for welcoming me.
I forgot that to mention: this forum is really a gift ...

zubrug
March 25th, 2007, 01:01 AM
Used ubuntu since 5.04, this forum has been great in that it has tought me most of what i know about linux.(enough to run it and solve problems).
Got really tired of gnome and used xubuntu for a while, ended up using kubuntu in the end, kde just does it all!
Tried dozens of distro's with-out any bites untill I tried sidux, I am enjoying it, its fast.
Lately the forum's have not really impressed me, Mod's and staff should never be involved with non-tech threads where they discuss there political and religious view's. It taints everything.

wxnker
March 25th, 2007, 01:42 AM
Right now I use Kubuntu as my second OS. I use Mandriva (kde) more at the moment. I don't use Windows at all and I especially enjoy not worrying about virus and spyware like when using Windows. Windows users don't know what they're missing \\:D/

As an Ubuntu user I get the feeling that Gnome has higher priority than KDE. I'm not sure if this is the case but trying both K and U Feisty it seems to me that the U version is more evolved?

BTW ... what is to be done yet on Feisty Beta until the final release? I still hope Kubuntu will get a small makeover before release :D.

jjj_uk
March 25th, 2007, 03:39 AM
I am one of those users who should not be using feisty but blithely ignored all the warnings and upgraded a month and a half back + it's on my work laptop as my primary OS (fool that I am).

I can't pretend it's been easy but... I've learnt a lot and thanks to this forum have remained productive. The only data I've lost has been the data in my shared partition (deleted when I mistakenly thought it was the swap partition)

I would not go back to Windows now. I just need to get vmware and/or powerpoint under wine working and I will never need to use it again (except within vmware)

%hMa@?b<C
March 25th, 2007, 03:51 AM
I bounce around various distros. Ubuntu is my "stable" distro.

wxnker
March 25th, 2007, 03:56 AM
I can't pretend it's been easy but... I've learnt a lot and thanks to this forum have remained productive

I forgot that to mention: this forum is really a gift ...

In that department nothing can touch Ubuntu. The forum here is outstanding. GREAT community.

I have used Feisty since herd 3 and I have had no real problems with it. I think it has been working just as well as Edgy on my system. No real probs.

I still get the feeling that Kubuntu is behind Ubuntu in development though. As a KDE user I find that to be a damn shame *lol* :D

billdotson
March 25th, 2007, 04:02 AM
Well ever since Ubuntu quit connecting to the internet after I put my PC back together w/ the replacement motherboard I have quit using it. I have not been able to get any help w/ the issue at all and so I guess Ubuntu is going by the wayside until someone helps me fix the issue.

wxnker
March 25th, 2007, 04:02 AM
I bounce around various distros. Ubuntu is my "stable" distro.

jeffc313

Have you given Mandriva One 2k7 a go? I think that this OS in many ways is showing the way. That is for KDE at least. I have not tried the Gnome version.

The installation, the ease of use and the basic control panel use is impressive and so is the allround complete look. Everything blends in together. I Like that. It proves that KDE can be REAL easy to use.

There might be some great ideas there for Kubuntu developers if you ask me. Except the damn orange out of the box look *lol*. I made it blue right a way and got myself the great silver kicker background from Kubuntu. Can't live without that one.

Kubuntu has the best looking kicker out there. :lolflag:

wxnker
March 25th, 2007, 04:07 AM
Well ever since Ubuntu quit connecting to the internet after I put my PC back together w/ the replacement motherboard I have quit using it. I have not been able to get any help w/ the issue at all and so I guess Ubuntu is going by the wayside until someone helps me fix the issue.

Man, what a shame. Normally you should be able to solve such an issue by the help of this great forum.

Give it another try :D Post your exact problems in a new thread and I hope someone will solve this soon.

Personally I have only had the typical DNS nameserver problem that made it impossible to view websites. Quickly solved and other than that no problems at all.

cheers

billdotson
March 25th, 2007, 04:21 AM
I posted it in ticket #4323 on launchpad.net and nothing so far.
Here is the link https://answers.launchpad.net/ubuntu/+ticket/4323

MattSMiddleton
March 25th, 2007, 04:25 AM
I first want to say that it's awesome that the two biggest groups are "I've said goodbye and came back" and "I've never said goodbye" Goes to show that Ubuntu has some real staying power.

Secondly I want to explain why I said goodbye for a spell. I tried out Mandriva Linux simply due to the fact that it has Compiz built in from start and wanted to go back to a rpm system to see how far it came (my linux journey started with Fedora core 3). From my experience, on Mandriva Beryl is a good deal more stable on my laptop, but it was really missing the true Linux feel that I love from ubuntu, it was too commercialized for me to stay just for the eye candy. So I came back and actually am now using a Ubuntu variant Linux Mint simply because it's a little more bleeding edge (2 month release cycle as opposed to 6 months) but has the ubuntu core. Seriously when I came back it really feel like coming home, like wearing sweats when I was just wearing a tux (in the comfort sense not the fancy sense). So I'm here and for the foreseeable future he I will stay.

Medieval_Creations
March 25th, 2007, 04:29 AM
It's hard to say. I bounce from distro to distro wanting to see what they each have to offer. But I must say that Ubuntu has been my primary OS for quite some time now.

meheheh
March 25th, 2007, 07:35 AM
I've said goodbye to Ubuntu on my iMac and on my P1 lappy. Ubuntu's also installed on my brother's Dell but he doesn't use it, so that could count as a "goodbye"

My server just keeps on ticking along with Ubuntu though.

Graduate
March 25th, 2007, 02:18 PM
I started using Ubuntu around my join date. After I started my first semester of college, I had to use a Windows program for a class. But now, all ubuntu.:KS

mark
March 25th, 2007, 02:23 PM
I'm an "Other". I started using Ubuntu before Warty was released & I've been here ever since, for the most part...

I've had my usual share of issues with Linux, but the most serious ones have been - philosophical???

I don't play well with fanatics, of any stripe. There have been times when the, ahh, more idealogical members of the community have had me foaming at the mouth, ready to wipe every hard drive I own & reinstall Windows ("hey, we make crappy software - but at least we don't moralize at you!").

But all it takes to snap me out of that is to go to work. My company does shipping software & solutions for consolidators and is a dedicated Microsoft shop. I have only to boot my workstation (XP Pro) and I'm reminded of all the stuff from the Linux world that I'd miss bitterly (virtual desktops, anyone?) if I had to give it up.

So I grit my teeth, try to ignore the more outrageous positions & statements of some of the so-called "leadership" of the free software community...and continue to run Linux. I'm writing this from a fresh install of the Feisty Beta and I like what I see.

beefcurry
March 25th, 2007, 03:10 PM
Said Goodbye to Breezy..............then only tried again at edgy.