PDA

View Full Version : How do you make konqueror a better browser ?

mips
October 24th, 2006, 09:59 PM
I just installed edgy base + kde-core. I'm gonna try and streamline this install and keep things tidy.

I usually use firefox with the folowing extensions:
Fasterfox, Forecastfox, Adblock+Filterset.G, Stylish (to make this site bearable on the eyes). Flashblock.

What can I do to retain the same functionality in konqueror ? I'm happy to have my weather on the panel/destop so if you have ideas let me know. the rest of the stuff is required for the browser though.

I'm plenty happy using konqueror as my browser as long as I can get similair functionality to firefox.

Something that does anoy me about konq though is the search facility that pops up a seperate window, i would like this to integrated somewhere in the existing window like firefox.

aysiu
October 24th, 2006, 10:01 PM
When I'm in KDE, I just use Firefox. I've tried using Konqueror, but I can't quite get it to the level of my tweaked-out-with-extensions Firefox.

chaosgeisterchen
October 24th, 2006, 10:10 PM
I use Konqueror with its basic settings - well, IPV6 is disabled. It's very good...

mushroom
October 24th, 2006, 10:45 PM
Konqueror just seems to "give up" for me; like it'll load a page for a while and then eventually it'll load the page with a lot of the images missing. If that little problem were solved I'd love to use it because of its integration and the fact that it has an adblocker built in.

Lord Illidan
October 24th, 2006, 10:48 PM
I second Aysiu, just use firefox..install a KDE theme so it looks more integrated, and you can keep on going like before.

aysiu
October 24th, 2006, 10:51 PM
Try this: How To: integrate Firefox with KDE (http://ubuntuforums.org/showthread.php?t=110353)

mushroom
October 24th, 2006, 11:09 PM
Nice illusion, thanks for that.

Colonel Kilkenny
October 24th, 2006, 11:14 PM
If you want to use browser like Firefox just use Firefox.
Personally I think that Konqueror is better for "normal" user, Konqueror is way faster and snappier than normal Fox in KDE (IMHO).

Konqueror has adblock built-in (or I think it has, haven't use it for a while). Filterset.G-like plugin does not exist or at least I haven't seen one (Personally I think that using it (blocking all ads without ever even seeing them) might be the lamest thing ever witnessed in the history of Internet)

There is no need for Fasterfox or fasterkonq, it already is fast enough (IMHO).

I have no idea what is stylish, but maybe that could be achieved with usercss? (I don't even know whether Konq supports usercss...)

And no idea about flashblock.

awakatanka
October 24th, 2006, 11:18 PM
Konqueror lacks extensions. Almost none to find. But still using it above firefox, because it can do so much more. More extensions and it would be perfect for me.

kerry_s
October 24th, 2006, 11:42 PM
I use konqueror most of the time just for browsing and surfing, i have the plugins disabled so no flash and i use adblock(filter attached below) to filter ad's. I use firefox when i need to it has flash and mplayer.

for adblock grab the text below and import it in to konqueror.

slimdog360
October 24th, 2006, 11:56 PM
this is kerry_s's idea from here (http://ubuntuforums.org/showthread.php?t=275100&highlight=konqueror).

cp /usr/share/apps/konqueror/konqueror-orig.rc ~/.kde/share/apps/konqueror/konqueror.rc
I like the extra buttons

maniacmusician
October 25th, 2006, 12:02 AM
just do a server install with kde or kde-core on top and you'll have the original konqueror, so that fix won't be needed.

mips is actually using kde-core so all those extra buttons should already be there

mips
October 25th, 2006, 10:37 AM
Keep the suggestions and links coming...

.t.
October 25th, 2006, 12:33 PM
To answer the thread's title, I don't make Konqueror a better browser. I suppose I'd need to be able to code to do that...

Then again, if no-one used Konqueror, the devs would either give up, or make it better to entice people back.