PDA

View Full Version : Another "new to Ubuntu" user

mrtaber
April 20th, 2005, 03:39 AM
Just wanted to say "hello," as yet another "new-to-Ubuntu" user. I'm coming from Fedora Core 3 (home) and Red Hat Enterprise Linux 3 (work) (along with Windows 2003 and XP, and 6 XServes Running OS X).

I really like Ubuntu and the community so far. I'm amazed. This is only my second day, and my machine is up, running, tweaked the way I like it, and usable. Try that with almost any other distro! LOL! :-D It almost feels weird to have nothing to tinker with.

One question, though. On Fedora, we had at least 3-4 updates a week (often for security vulnerabilities, but not always). I notice that Ubuntu has far, far fewer updates. Part of this, of course, is that my installation is much simpler on Ubuntu, so there is less to update. But, for example, how about Firefox 1.0.3? Is there a different philosophy on frequency of updates with Ubuntu?

Thanks,
Mark Taber

TravisNewman
April 20th, 2005, 03:43 AM
There's a version freeze for stability purposes at every release. That does lead to some caveats (like FF 1.0.3) but it DOES work. The Ubuntu Backports project is there to help this. Check it out in the 3rd party section here! You'll love it!

mrtaber
April 20th, 2005, 03:53 AM
That is very cool...I'm off to edit my sources.list right now! :-D

Thanks,
Mark

crane
April 20th, 2005, 04:24 AM
Welcome to the Ubuntu world!! \\:D/

telmo
April 20th, 2005, 04:28 AM
Wellcome! You'll like it here! ;)

poofyhairguy
April 20th, 2005, 04:46 AM
Welcome. Ask questions and check out the Ubuntu Guide.

TravisNewman
April 20th, 2005, 04:48 AM
Oops. I answered your question, but where are my manners?

Welcome to the forums, and welcome to Ubuntu!