PDA

View Full Version : Blueray

kimara
October 24th, 2006, 05:43 PM
Hi..

Does blueray drives work with linux already or does anyone know when the support is coming?

DoctorMO
October 24th, 2006, 05:48 PM
There are two or more parts:

Blueray Hardware: I havn't heard anything but it may work via the current scsi optical media interfaces.

Blueray Video Discs: encrypted discs will be a no-no for linux until about 2030 because it's legal grey area as to if the DCMA will protect a volenteer enough to make compatable software.

chaosgeisterchen
October 24th, 2006, 05:51 PM
Another question will be whether Bluray will ever celebrate its breakthrough on the video disc market. People won't consider replacing their DVD-players with BluRay-players which cost several times as much as their old players for virtually no advantage concerning sound or image quality.

kimara
October 24th, 2006, 06:02 PM
Blueray Video Discs: encrypted discs will be a no-no for linux until about 2030 because it's legal grey area as to if the DCMA will protect a volenteer enough to make compatable software.

What about HD-DVD movies, same thing :(

chaosgeisterchen
October 24th, 2006, 06:11 PM
Providing multimedia using Linux seems to become a very tough job in near future. I hope there will be any solution to this (how on earth can volunteers be sued for writing drivers to make those devices work?!)

DoctorMO
October 24th, 2006, 06:46 PM
Making the hardware work won't be covered in the DCMA and that will be the same hardware compat as normal. (i.e a slog) the software on the other hand will be a pain. you can play non-encrypted dvds on a Linux machine without any non-free libs. but the encrypted DVDs (comerical ones for example) required DeCSS which is the fun part because both BlueRay and HD-DVD have their own unique encryption technoledgies which are both fataly flawed (they give the keys to the people they don't want reading the data) yet this will be covered by the DCMA. and even though the DCMA has compat clauses how many programmers are willing to risk jail for 10 years?

.t.
October 24th, 2006, 07:05 PM
Read my essay: "So why shouldn't I buy an iPod?". Link below. I would discourage everybody from buying TCPA, DRM or Trusted Computing equipment.

MetalMusicAddict
October 24th, 2006, 07:39 PM
I have seen the blanks to buy at Staples. I didnt see the drives though. I wonder if it will be long till Unix/GNU-Linux can use them as storage drives?

Funny thing is to me if they wanted to protect the content (ie:Video) they should not offer the same disk as a storage medium. Keep Blueray only for movies and HDDVD for storage or something to that effect. Dont engineer them to play in a PC drive at all. Like Gamecube disks.

weatherman
October 24th, 2006, 07:40 PM
Making the hardware work won't be covered in the DCMA and that will be the same hardware compat as normal. (i.e a slog) the software on the other hand will be a pain. you can play non-encrypted dvds on a Linux machine without any non-free libs. but the encrypted DVDs (comerical ones for example) required DeCSS which is the fun part because both BlueRay and HD-DVD have their own unique encryption technoledgies which are both fataly flawed (they give the keys to the people they don't want reading the data) yet this will be covered by the DCMA. and even though the DCMA has compat clauses how many programmers are willing to risk jail for 10 years?
actually dvd John (the guy who wrote decss) is already working on it :-) According to wikipedia
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/DVD_Jon the software should be released this winter.

MetalMusicAddict
October 24th, 2006, 07:51 PM
Johansen revealed [7] his intent to defeat the encryption of Next-Generation DVD encryption, AACS. It appears that Johansen is aiming for a winter 2006/2007 release of a circumvention application.

And he lives in the states now? Crazy! Lets see how far he gets with it. Hell, if the movie co's were smart they would hire him. :)

woedend
October 24th, 2006, 07:52 PM
if for some reason bluray swept the world by storm, or even becomes popular at all, someone will write decoders for linux, legal or not. :)

MetalMusicAddict
October 24th, 2006, 08:03 PM
if for some reason bluray swept the world by storm, or even becomes popular at all, someone will write decoders for linux, legal or not. :)
Oh totally. I would rather something legal happen though.

In the end I would still rather have a player in my Home Theater system than my PC, but thats me. :)

Gargamella
October 24th, 2006, 08:04 PM
blue ray is an useless thing... i won't sell my car to buy a reader and a 25-30 € film.

it is just new hardware taken ahead by ps3 so the will use it.
But i suggest not to buy it...maybe HDDVD.

NoTiG
October 24th, 2006, 08:07 PM
I like the illegal version though because i can take screenshots, and fast forward through the ads and stuff.

Kateikyoushi
October 24th, 2006, 08:26 PM
blue ray is an useless thing... i won't sell my car to buy a reader and a 25-30 € film.

it is just new hardware taken ahead by ps3 so the will use it.
But i suggest not to buy it...maybe HDDVD.

Interesting, so shouldn't buy blue ray because it is expensive but go for HDDVD.
I bought my notebook with blue ray writer 3 months ago to burn my hd videos at that time Toshiba's noti with HDDVD reader would cost me 1000USD more. :-k

prizrak
October 24th, 2006, 08:54 PM
As far as a I know there is BD and HD player hardware, you can get movies on both disks so by logic there has to be something that can play it. I think that HDDVD will pick up more than BD simply because the name is alot more intuitive. HD is pretty well known to people by now.

chaosgeisterchen
October 24th, 2006, 09:09 PM
Interesting that there is already an attempt more than only running to reverse engineer the encryption. And this guy also unchained DRM files.

Well.. our side has the better programmers I assume.

zipperback
January 6th, 2008, 09:14 AM
Read my essay: "So why shouldn't I buy an iPod?". Link below. I would discourage everybody from buying TCPA, DRM or Trusted Computing equipment.

I have an older Creative MuVo 1GB flash drive USB player and it works great for me. I don't need the latest and greatest mp3 player. I turn it on, and select what I want to listen to and it plays the music. Pretty simple.

- zipperback
:popcorn:

zipperback
January 6th, 2008, 09:27 AM
I wouldn't mind having a bluray-rw drive for system wide backup purposes, as they can hold a massive amount of data.

However, for movies and such, it doesn't really make that much difference to me right now. I don't watch movies on my PC. Regardless of which one becomes "the standard" is pretty much a non-issue for the end user. The drives will be made available in a price range which is affordable in time for the typical consumer, and someone someplace will figure out how to make them work with Linux.

I can think of numerous examples of hardware which was closed to Linux users in the past, and now is used regularly by the Linux community in general.

- zipperback
:popcorn: