PDA

View Full Version : firefox 2.0 out tuesday - thoughts?

bionnaki
October 23rd, 2006, 06:28 PM
so, has anyone tried the RC builds yet? how are they?

~LoKe
October 23rd, 2006, 06:33 PM
It's already out and running fine.

bionnaki
October 23rd, 2006, 06:40 PM
rc3 is out
not the final.

but whatever.

how is it?

~LoKe
October 23rd, 2006, 06:53 PM
rc3 is out
not the final.

but whatever.

how is it?

~$ sudo aptitude show firefox | grep Version
Version: 2.0+0dfsg-0ubuntu3

I'm using Edgy, so 2.0 is already in the repos.

maniacmusician
October 23rd, 2006, 07:22 PM
lol, he asked how it was.

I wouldn't know, i'm not using it.

dabear
October 23rd, 2006, 07:28 PM
rc3 is out
not the final.

rc3 is the final version

how is it?

Nice, faster than fx1.5 on my low-end laptop. The updated interface, spell checker, rss support and "undo close tab" is nice

IYY
October 23rd, 2006, 07:28 PM
It's good enough. I like the spellcheck feature, but hate some little GUI changes (like the icons and the 'close' button on the tabs)

Mustafa Temizel
October 23rd, 2006, 07:37 PM
Here is final version !!

ftp://ftp.mozilla.org/pub/mozilla.org/firefox/releases/2.0/linux-i686/en-US/

maniacmusician
October 23rd, 2006, 07:38 PM
careful handing out that link. most users will want i386, not 686.

TheRingmaster
October 23rd, 2006, 07:57 PM
yes the final is out now!!

http://releases.mozilla.org/pub/mozilla.org/firefox/releases/2.0/

bruce89
October 23rd, 2006, 08:00 PM
Another bit of "version number madness" from (the unreasonable) Mozilla.

fuscia
October 23rd, 2006, 08:07 PM
it's finally fast and it looks nice.

bruce89
October 23rd, 2006, 08:08 PM
it's finally fast and it looks nice.

It still uses too much memory (at least with Epiphany), and looks like a windows theme.

Doesn't matter, I don't use it anymore (not because of the Debian thing either).

glotz
October 23rd, 2006, 08:10 PM
I hate some little GUI changes (like the 'close' button on the tabs)See http://kb.mozillazine.org/Browser.tabs.closeButtons

Appears to be down at the moment...

maniacmusician
October 23rd, 2006, 08:26 PM
It still uses too much memory (at least with Epiphany), and looks like a windows theme.

Doesn't matter, I don't use it anymore (not because of the Debian thing either).
so what do you use, good sir? just curious

bruce89
October 23rd, 2006, 09:30 PM
so what do you use, good sir? just curious

Epiphany, and don't try and talk me out of it.

chaosgeisterchen
October 23rd, 2006, 09:45 PM
Everyone should use what he/she likes. I hardly anytime used Firefox during the last few weeks on my desktop pc, it's 95%+ surfing with Konqueror which I am very happy with.

maniacmusician
October 23rd, 2006, 10:45 PM
same here. Konqueror is awesome. I'm kind of missing Gecko, but the interface is far more to my liking than that of firefox.

@bruce89: I tried epiphany once. It was pretty fast, but i've moved on from GNOME, so I don't need it anymore.

cunawarit
October 23rd, 2006, 11:09 PM
Running nice on my XP machine, looks good too. Webdeveloper and tamper extensions work so I am happy :)

Just about the only negative thing I can say is that RSS/Podcast support isn't quite as nice as it is in IE7.

Sirin
October 24th, 2006, 02:36 AM
Just about the only negative thing I can say is that RSS/Podcast support isn't quite as nice as it is in IE7.

Yeah, they could add a search-as-you-type feature to the built-in RSS reader, but I guess the finder in Firefox (Ctrl-F) will do. :)

banjobacon
October 24th, 2006, 02:45 AM
I might be tempted to switch back to Firefox (from Epiphany) when I upgrade to Edgy, mostly for the spell checker.

reacocard
October 24th, 2006, 02:56 AM
I'm using edgy, and fireofx 2 is great. Just one thing missing: the ability to use liferea for feeds. The new RSS system lets you use external apps for feeds, but it doesn't work with liferea. :(

Corey
October 24th, 2006, 03:37 AM
Isn't there an Ubuntu theme for FF2.0? Shouldn't it come installed by default? Makes sense to me.

IYY
October 24th, 2006, 04:31 AM
See http://kb.mozillazine.org/Browser.tabs.closeButtons

Appears to be down at the moment...

Thanks, that fixes it.

whoosh
October 24th, 2006, 05:36 AM
I found firefox 2 to be quite buggy. Usually, I press ctrl + L to get to the textbox and it highlights the whole thing. Now it just moves the focus to the textbox but doesn't highlight the URL, so I have to ctrl + A when that happens. Then with tabs, I'm used to ctrl + w, but when I do that, firefox turns white! and then the tabs disappear! I can't press enter in the URL textbox either, I have to actually click the "go" button...

It seems like all keyboard shortcut problems though, anyone know how I can fix these?

kilgore t
October 24th, 2006, 06:26 PM
Any idea as to which is faster? FF 2.0 or swiftfox 1.5?
I assume it will take some time for swiftfox to be updated to 2.0 and included in automatix.

GStubbs43
October 24th, 2006, 07:19 PM
I found firefox 2 to be quite buggy. Usually, I press ctrl + L to get to the textbox and it highlights the whole thing. Now it just moves the focus to the textbox but doesn't highlight the URL, so I have to ctrl + A when that happens. Then with tabs, I'm used to ctrl + w, but when I do that, firefox turns white! and then the tabs disappear! I can't press enter in the URL textbox either, I have to actually click the "go" button...

It seems like all keyboard shortcut problems though, anyone know how I can fix these?

hmm... ctrl+l higlights everything for me... ctrl+w closes a tab... \and enter works. I'm not sure if this is an Ubuntu or Firefox bug, but it doesn't happen to everyone... :-k

BWF89
October 25th, 2006, 12:26 AM
I'm downloading the final now. Can't wait to see how many of my extensions I'll have to reinstall and bypass the version checker ;)

BWF89
October 25th, 2006, 12:44 AM
5 of my extensions broke (copy plain text, cute menus 2, disable targets for downloads, download manager tweak, and tab mix plus) and 5 of them continue to work. And when I use Mr. Techs Local Install extension to bypass version checking on non-working extensions it still doesn't work.

Polygon
October 25th, 2006, 03:45 PM
5 of my extensions broke (copy plain text, cute menus 2, disable targets for downloads, download manager tweak, and tab mix plus) and 5 of them continue to work. And when I use Mr. Techs Local Install extension to bypass version checking on non-working extensions it still doesn't work.

just wait for your extensions to update to a version that works with ff 2.0

bruce89
October 25th, 2006, 04:17 PM
I might be tempted to switch back to Firefox (from Epiphany) when I upgrade to Edgy, mostly for the spell checker.

You can switch on (a rather pathetic) spell checker in Epiphany: (about:config -> layout.spellcheckDefault=1). It only underlines incorrect words at the moment. I don't really know why Ubuntu switched it off by default.

I'm using edgy, and fireofx 2 is great. Just one thing missing: the ability to use liferea for feeds. The new RSS system lets you use external apps for feeds, but it doesn't work with liferea. :(

http://liferea.blogspot.com/2006/10/firefox-20-integration.html, but of course, Epiphany has this integration when the "News Feed Subscription" extension is switched on.

glotz
October 25th, 2006, 05:26 PM
Firefox also sports an extension for that https://addons.mozilla.org/firefox/2468/

(never heard of liferea)

bruce89
October 25th, 2006, 05:30 PM
Firefox also sports an extension for that https://addons.mozilla.org/firefox/2468/

That is required for Fx <2.0.

(never heard of liferea)

http://liferea.sourceforge.net/

tubasoldier
October 25th, 2006, 05:31 PM
It's good enough. I like the spellcheck feature, but hate some little GUI changes (like the icons and the 'close' button on the tabs)

I absolutely Love the close buttons on the tabs! But thats just me. I have used it a little and so far so good.

Rhapsody
October 25th, 2006, 05:45 PM

I don't know about the others, but there's a release candidate version of Tab Mix Plus (http://tmp.garyr.net/forum/viewtopic.php?t=3515) that should work with Firefox 2.0 available now. A final version compatible with Firefox 2.0 should be out within the week.

glotz
October 25th, 2006, 06:37 PM
That is required for Fx <2.0.
Have you tried max version bumping it? See method #2 @ http://www.extensionsmirror.nl/index.php?showtopic=973

Sometimes (well usually) works, if there aren't too many changes in the specific code segment.

reztho
October 25th, 2006, 07:28 PM
The liferea version used in dapper drake doesn't have the script needed to add feeds externally. The only way is with dbus.

I resolved it updating liferea with the .deb in www.getdeb.net. It has the liferea-add-feed script. So just point your firefox 2.0 to use that script and that's it.

reacocard
October 25th, 2006, 10:01 PM
I resolved it updating liferea with the .deb in www.getdeb.net. It has the liferea-add-feed script. So just point your firefox 2.0 to use that script and that's it.

The liferea-add-feed script doesn't work for me. :(

BWF89
October 25th, 2006, 10:14 PM
Have you tried max version bumping it? See method #2 @ http://www.extensionsmirror.nl/index.php?showtopic=973

Sometimes (well usually) works, if there aren't too many changes in the specific code segment.
That's what I was about to post about. I read about it in my Hacking Firefox book I got last Christmas.

I absolutely Love the close buttons on the tabs! But thats just me. I have used it a little and so far so good.
If you wanted close buttons on all of your tabs why not just download a tab modifier extension? I don't like the close buttons on all of the tabs. When I have a bunch of tabs open at once but want to close a bunch quickly I used to be able to just click the tab button on the corner a bunch of times but not i have to go to each tab separately. I can't wait until Tab Mix Plus releases a version for 2.0.

BWF89
October 26th, 2006, 02:37 AM
I got tired of waiting for the devs to make their extensions 2.0 compatible so I just went to Tools > Addons > right click on extension > Make Compatible which overrides Firefox's maxversion line of code. This can be done with the extension MR Techs Local Install. I did that to all my extensions except Tabs Mix Plus. Since the tab system was changed a little with 2.0 release I figure the Tabs Mix Plus devs might modify their program a little to work with that so I'll wait for an official release.

reacocard
October 26th, 2006, 03:59 AM
I got tired of waiting for the devs to make their extensions 2.0 compatible so I just went to Tools > Addons > right click on extension > Make Compatible which overrides Firefox's maxversion line of code. This can be done with the extension MR Techs Local Install. I did that to all my extensions except Tabs Mix Plus. Since the tab system was changed a little with 2.0 release I figure the Tabs Mix Plus devs might modify their program a little to work with that so I'll wait for an official release.

Actually, the latest dev built of tmp works with ff2. get it here (http://tmp.garyr.net/) (scroll down a little)

puppy
October 26th, 2006, 04:47 PM
I'm finding it to be quite stable, and most of my extensions now work, but it is still *slightly* crashy.

A good example: if I log out or restart the x server *without* closing down firefox completely first, when I log back in again and start firefox it insists that it has experienced a crash and "would I like to restore my session?"

Thinking about it, is that a bug or a feature...? :-k

bruce89
October 26th, 2006, 05:33 PM
I'm finding it to be quite stable, and most of my extensions now work, but it is still *slightly* crashy.

A good example: if I log out or restart the x server *without* closing down firefox completely first, when I log back in again and start firefox it insists that it has experienced a crash and "would I like to restore my session?"

Thinking about it, is that a bug or a feature...? :-k

That's more of a feature, as it did crash (sort of). Epiphany does this also. (and has done for a while)

shane2peru
October 26th, 2006, 09:11 PM
I upgraded from Dapper to Edgy, 1 day before final release. It comes with Firefox2. It seems to crash a lot for no reason. Just all of the sudden, it is gone, now warning, no slow running, I'm just sitting there reading a page, and boom, gone. It is more of an annoyance than anything else. As for Extensions, I hope they get them updated quickly! Fasterfox, and update notifier don't work, as well as a few of my themes are disabled. FireFTP works! Seems to run smooth despite the few problems I have had.

Shane