PDA

View Full Version : Want to install KDE, have a few questions.

RussianVodka
October 23rd, 2006, 05:00 PM
I tried Kubuntu Live CD the other day, and it rocks out loud. I've always been a fan of KDE, and used it when I had the chance, I just use Gnome now because, well, it came pre-installed, and I got used to it.

I've tried installing KDE in Ubuntu before, but the major problem was that it seemed kind of unwieldy (in comparison to a fresh OS install, I don't know why), and when I switched back to Gnome, I wasn't able to use my programs (it said something about that paths being changed.

But I've tried Kubuntu, and now I want KDE again. How could I go about installing it without damaging Gnome?

plb
October 23rd, 2006, 05:01 PM
apt-get install kubuntu-desktop I'd imagine.

maniacmusician
October 23rd, 2006, 05:05 PM
i'd recommend sudo aptitude install kubuntu-desktop instead.

or, if you want the real KDE desktop, without all the changes kubuntu has made to it, you would do:

sudo aptitude install kde

there's also other install options such as kde-core, which only installs the most basic things, and other options as well that don't come to mind right now.

have fun!

RussianVodka
October 23rd, 2006, 05:07 PM
i'd recommend sudo aptitude install kubuntu-desktop instead.

or, if you want the real KDE desktop, without all the changes kubuntu has made to it, you would do:

sudo aptitude install kde

there's also other install options such as kde-core, which only installs the most basic things, and other options as well that don't come to mind right now.

have fun!
What's the difference between apt-get and aptitude?

mips
October 23rd, 2006, 05:11 PM
apt-get install kubuntu-desktop I'd imagine.

Do NOT use apt-get to install Kubuntu desktop !!!

Rather do this, http://www.psychocats.net/ubuntu/kde

Lord Illidan
October 23rd, 2006, 05:17 PM

No need to be so melodramatic, apt-get can also get the job done, it justs harder to remove.

mips
October 23rd, 2006, 05:53 PM
No need to be so melodramatic, apt-get can also get the job done, it justs harder to remove.

Ok, in future I will keep my mouth shut. I suppose it's ok if it's harder to remove kubuntu-desktop in future should he want to.

Sorry, my bad.

maniacmusician
October 23rd, 2006, 06:20 PM

the difference is that aptitude handles dependencies better. with aptitude, if you want to uninstall kde later, all you have to do is "sudo aptitude remove [name of package]" whereas with apt-get, that wouldn't work. so aptitude makes it easier to remove stuff that way. makes life a little easier. also keep in mind what i said about the various different packages you can use to install kde to your system

user1397
October 23rd, 2006, 06:21 PM
you can always use my guide here on the forums to install/remove any of the desktop environments: http://ubuntuforums.org/showthread.php?t=205002

aysiu
October 23rd, 2006, 06:27 PM
http://www.psychocats.net/ubuntu/aptitude

TheWizzard
October 23rd, 2006, 08:30 PM
http://www.psychocats.net/ubuntu/aptitude

thanks for the info on aptitude! i always used apt-get, but this orphan-control looks great.

can't you make a sticky of this in the Installation & Upgrades section?

question: is there a way to disable the apt-get command? i'm affraid i'll use it by accident in the future because i'm so used to it.

maniacmusician
October 23rd, 2006, 08:33 PM
that wouldn't be a good idea, because apps like the updater and automatix use apt-get. probably synaptic too.

aysiu
October 23rd, 2006, 08:35 PM
There's a way you could alias apt-get to use aptitude instead, but I wouldn't try it--you're liable to break your system!

user1397
October 23rd, 2006, 08:57 PM
that wouldn't be a good idea, because apps like the updater and automatix use apt-get. probably synaptic too.
i always was 100% positive that synaptic uses apt-get. can anyone confirm this?

aysiu
October 23rd, 2006, 09:02 PM
Synaptic will not remove unused dependencies the way aptitude does; it behaves like apt-get. Whether it actually is apt-get... I don't know.

chaosgeisterchen
October 23rd, 2006, 09:19 PM
As far as I know, Synaptic and Adept are both using dpkg to handle packages, but how do they handle dependencies?

I strictly use aptitude as it is the better choice from my point of view. Your computer keeps being a lot more clean.

aysiu
October 23rd, 2006, 09:24 PM
As far as I know, aptitude also uses dpkg, but aptitude and apt-get do not behave the same way.

chaosgeisterchen
October 23rd, 2006, 09:31 PM
Well, that's something even I am aware of. The problem is to find out what is the mechanics behind synaptic or adept. One thing I do not like about those GUI-tools is the fact that you cannot see what happens under the coat of user interfaces.

TheWizzard
October 23rd, 2006, 09:45 PM

i don't use apdater, i run a script in cron to automate updates.
no automatix form me ;)
i can live with the command line.

chaosgeisterchen
October 23rd, 2006, 09:47 PM
Therefore I would strongly recommend aptitude to you. Nothing is above it concerning command line update and dependency management.

mattcn81
October 24th, 2006, 04:17 AM

Thanks for the link, just what I needed sir :)

mips
October 24th, 2006, 07:02 AM
Thanks for the link, just what I needed sir :)

No need to thank me, thank aysiu for his good writing abilities ;)

zAo
October 24th, 2006, 11:29 AM
thanks for the info on aptitude! i always used apt-get, but this orphan-control looks great.

can't you make a sticky of this in the Installation & Upgrades section?

question: is there a way to disable the apt-get command? i'm affraid i'll use it by accident in the future because i'm so used to it.
Don't worry. The latest apt has this feature too. Upgrade when Edgy is final and there you are :)

TheWizzard
October 25th, 2006, 08:43 AM
Don't worry. The latest apt has this feature too. Upgrade when Edgy is final and there you are :)

cool. thanks for the info!