PDA

View Full Version : Will there be another Point Release?

ember
October 22nd, 2006, 11:33 PM
Hello,

I just wondered whether there will be another Point Release, so I do not need to download all the updates.

Does anyone have information about this issue?

Best regards,
ember

Old Pink
October 23rd, 2006, 12:41 AM
Edgy Eft 6.10 is being released on the 26th of October, if you get that then, there won't be too many new updates to download. :)

PriceChild
October 23rd, 2006, 01:58 AM
Check this out... https://wiki.ubuntu.com/EdgyReleaseSchedule

No there won't ;)

maniacmusician
October 23rd, 2006, 02:09 AM
hmm thats interesting. so if i have edgy eft beta installed on a computer, if i just let it update, it will bring itself to edgy stable?

ubuntu must be the best.

Ubunted
October 23rd, 2006, 06:46 AM
Um... pretty sure the OP is referring to Dapper 6.06.x releases.

mips
October 23rd, 2006, 10:40 AM
I just wondered whether there will be another Point Release, so I do not need to download all the updates.

6.06 had some serious bugs. There were even bugs with the installer. These 'serious' bugs required a point release in order for people to get working install media without serious bugs hampering an initial install, thus 6.06.1 was born.

I honestly don't believe there will be another point release unless there are other serious bugs that cannot be addresses via the normal update procedure.

https://wiki.ubuntu.com/DapperPointReleaseProcess
https://features.launchpad.net/distros/ubuntu/+spec/dapper-point-release-process
http://news.linux.com/article.pl?sid=06/08/10/2123206&tid=106

ember
October 23rd, 2006, 01:19 PM
Yes, I was reffering to 6.06.x - I will be installing Ubuntu on some computers for rather non-technical people therefore potential glitches make Edgy rather not the choice release.

Anyway, thanks for the information. I will use 6.06.1 then.

Best regards,
ember

Ubunted
October 23rd, 2006, 06:50 PM
Personally, I don't believe that makes much sense.

Between the release of 6.06.1 and the end of desktop and server support 3 and 5 years down the road respectively, there is going to be a HUGE amount of security updates released. At the current rate, in three years time we will be installing 6.06.1 and then downloading another 400-600MB of updates, possibly the entire OS.

If Canonical puts out more point releases that simply include the updated security packages though, it saves everyone a lot of time and bandwidth. Not to mention you're offering a much more secure OS from the get-go.

Microsoft doesn't ship raw XP and force you to download SP1, SP2 and the 200+ security patches that come with it, they pack them in with the discs. Win-win for everyone.

mips
October 23rd, 2006, 07:02 PM
You have a very valid point and I would agree with you.
What type of future support are they offering, is it on all packages or just security updates ?

Personally, I don't believe that makes much sense.

Between the release of 6.06.1 and the end of desktop and server support 3 and 5 years down the road respectively, there is going to be a HUGE amount of security updates released. At the current rate, in three years time we will be installing 6.06.1 and then downloading another 400-600MB of updates, possibly the entire OS.

If Canonical puts out more point releases that simply include the updated security packages though, it saves everyone a lot of time and bandwidth. Not to mention you're offering a much more secure OS from the get-go.

Microsoft doesn't ship raw XP and force you to download SP1, SP2 and the 200+ security patches that come with it, they pack them in with the discs. Win-win for everyone.

maniacmusician
October 23rd, 2006, 07:07 PM
well I'm pretty sure that there will be more point releases in due time, that would make the most sense. I don't know what the system for it is exactly. but every x number of security updates, perhaps. What have they done for LTS releases in the past?

christhemonkey
October 23rd, 2006, 07:09 PM
Dapper is the first LTS support release.

So no-one knows :p

(i imagine some people do, but no-one i know!)

maniacmusician
October 23rd, 2006, 07:14 PM
hmm i see. well i guess time will tell. I wouldn't worry about it though, I'm sure ubuntu will accomodate those of us that keep or install dapper. I'd do it just to see the huge amount of difference from one LTS release to the next. it'll be momentous.

but i won't be doing that of course, too excited about edgy and feisty.

mips
October 23rd, 2006, 07:24 PM
From, https://wiki.ubuntu.com/DapperPointReleaseProcess

Use cases-
Bridget is installing Ubuntu 6.06 LTS on a old system at home two years after release, but doesn't want to have to spend hours downloading the security updates to the majority of installed packages that will probably have been released by that point. She would much rather have an updated CD image which she can download using the high bandwidth available to her at work.

bruce89
October 23rd, 2006, 09:32 PM

That's what 6.06.2 will be for.

They do if you have an old disc, discs don't update automatically.

mips
October 23rd, 2006, 09:55 PM
That's what 6.06.2 will be for.

They do if you have an old disc, discs don't update automatically.

Correct. If you are a windows user it's nice to know how to slipstream the SP into the install cd.