PDA

View Full Version : I have wireless..I don't know how, but I do

Jellicletrb
October 22nd, 2006, 10:36 PM
I'm quite new to Ubuntu, I got my first CD Wednesday. I installed it on my desktop and with the help (ok, lots more than help) of Automatix, I had everything up and running by Thursday evening. So while I was posting my hoorays and "look at me's" in the beginners forum, someone mentioned the KDE desktop to me, so I decided to put it on the laptop and take a look at it. However, after reading all the scary posts about wireless networking on the boards, I thought that I'd use the ethernet card and a 25' "ribbon cable" and leave the wireless for a later date, when I know a bit more and get a bit braver.

So after installing Kubuntu on the laptop, dual booting with XP, I started exploring, and found an application called "wireless assistant" and thought, well, it can't hurt to look. The assitant detected my integrated wireless AND my wireless router. I right clicked on my network and it said, "You are about to disconnect from ****"

Disconnect????

So, I opened firefox and shazamm...there is Google.

hehehe...this is cool...look at me, having so much fun.

.t.
October 22nd, 2006, 10:43 PM
Good on ya. In GNOME, I recommend the Network Manager applet, in case you are curious.

Are you sure you want an insecure network though?

Jellicletrb
October 22nd, 2006, 10:46 PM
Good on ya. In GNOME, I recommend the Network Manager applet, in case you are curious.

Are you sure you want an insecure network though?

So far I've not worried too much about security. I live in a very, very rural area. Nothing else, including the nearest road, is within range of my router.

.t.
October 22nd, 2006, 10:50 PM
Me too! No public highway within a radius of about a mile here. And the nearest house is 1-200 yards away.

You probably beat that though (as it doesn't seem that rural to me, especially considering places in Yorkshire or the Scottish Highlands or Exmoor, for instance...).

chaosgeisterchen
October 22nd, 2006, 10:53 PM
Hey, you made my day. That's cool. I love to hear stories like that.

djsroknrol
October 23rd, 2006, 01:01 AM
Last week I finished my new rig...A P4 3.0MHz and I put a wireless Linksys card in....I worried about connectivity issues for a long time while planning this new machine.

To my suprise, I had intranet and internet right out of the box without any fiddling or configuring.....

Another plus for Ubuntu!!

.t.
October 23rd, 2006, 09:39 AM
Woah! 3.0MHz! Now, that is fast!

Jellicletrb
October 23rd, 2006, 01:45 PM
Indeed...3.0 is "Yee Haw" fast :-D

djsroknrol
October 23rd, 2006, 02:20 PM
To be honest, there is a speed difference, but it's not much faster than my old rig which was a AMD Sempron 1.6MHz...The thing I notice the most is that it runs hotter....I had to add a third 80mm fan to disapate the heat.

The wireless really suprised me. I thought that the intranet would be the easy part and the internet would require some work. All I had to do was activate it in networking, and I was off and running...

Kateikyoushi
October 23rd, 2006, 02:23 PM
It is good to know wireless cards start to work out of the box.

3Mhz wow, but my overclocked xt is twice as fast. ;)

.t.
October 23rd, 2006, 03:20 PM
Well. I always thought my laptop was meagre. But compared to y'all, 1595MHz seems quite quick!