PDA

View Full Version : Kontact

darkhatter
October 22nd, 2006, 10:03 PM
I just want to hear everyone's views here, I've only used thunderbird and kontact and I find them ok. I'm not sure if they are heavy (or what is considered heavy for that matter)

P.S.
Please don't bash the gnome pim, or thunderbird

P.P.S.
I don't need 50 users telling me kde is a bloated mess, we all get it now

Bloodfen Razormaw
October 22nd, 2006, 10:07 PM
Thunderbird and Kontact are not in the same league. Thunderbird is just an e-mail client (and even then can't compare to KMail). I have yet to see any free PIM solution that approaches Kontact. As for weight, Kontact is as light as you want to make it. You can select which available components should be loaded. Even with most components loaded it will likely be lighter than Thunderbird is alone.

chaosgeisterchen
October 22nd, 2006, 10:09 PM
I never really used Thunderbird. Kontact is great concerning capabilities. It does simply everything.

darkhatter
October 22nd, 2006, 10:13 PM
I hope they come out with a kontact port to windows, and I've been liking it so far.

fuscia
October 22nd, 2006, 10:16 PM
i don't need all the stuff that kontact does and prefer thunderbird to kmail. i like to insert pics into the bodies of emails and just find thunderbird simplest to do that with. also, i prefer how adding addresses is handled in thunderbird. that said, the sylpheed-claws icon rox them all.

Castar
October 23rd, 2006, 10:00 PM
I like them both the same, but Thunderbird is very slow on KDE, so I use kemail in Kontact.

On windows though, Thunderbird all the way.

maniacmusician
October 23rd, 2006, 10:10 PM
well if we're going to be able to use QT in windows, then won't Kontact be usable as well? or does it rely on KDE-specific services?

ComplexNumber
October 23rd, 2006, 10:20 PM
here (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Comparison_of_e-mail_clients) is a comparison of email clients, and includes evolution, kmail, and thunderbird (amongst others).
when you compare the feature list, evolution > thunderbird > kmail.

awakatanka
October 23rd, 2006, 10:22 PM
Kontact is more than a e-mail client. I love it has everything i need. Thunderbird is only a e-mail client that can have plugins but i used don't like it. Only thing i need to install on my server is a kolab server part. So i can share everything.

http://www.kolab.org/about-kolab-server.html

ComplexNumber
October 23rd, 2006, 10:25 PM
personally, i think that kontact is better than evolution. not for features (evolution is better for features), but in its design.
however, i don't intend to use either.

maniacmusician
October 23rd, 2006, 10:26 PM
edit: dumb post.