PDA

View Full Version : How Ubuntu saved my Life

Iorchova
October 22nd, 2006, 09:07 PM
A month or so ago I began to notice my hard drive had begun clicking. Yes, the dreaded click of doom. Knowing that my hard drive was going to die soon, i easilly backed everything up, and inevitabally, a month later, my hard drive died. But all hope wasn't lost. Thanks to Ubuntu I can chat online, use the internet, and listen to music even without a hard drive in my computer! By using my Ubuntu LiveCD I am able to run a fully equipped version of Ubuntu on my computer, using my RAM as a makeshift way to store files (Given that the files are erased after every reboot). Now while I wait for my new computer, I can still use my computer for things such as school, music, and fun!

BuffaloX
October 22nd, 2006, 10:09 PM
cool :cool:
I never really thought of that.
Maybe I'll go for the live CD when I download Edgy Eft

Gargamella
October 22nd, 2006, 10:19 PM
and i say to myself what a wonderful woooooooooooorld ;D

Tamil
October 23rd, 2006, 10:36 AM
8) I'm going to use live CD for whole day.

slimdog360
October 23rd, 2006, 10:41 AM
I think knoppix is supposed to be great as a live cd. But i dont know the differences, its just what Ive heard about it.

Titus A Duxass
October 23rd, 2006, 11:14 AM
I still don't see how it save your life!

anaconda
October 23rd, 2006, 11:19 AM
I think knoppix is supposed to be great as a live cd. But i dont know the differences, its just what Ive heard about it.

If you have enough RAM, then you can load the whole knoppix-image to RAM, and then your computer is reeaaally FAST. And you can also use your CD/DVD-drive.

With DamnSmallLinux it can be made with as little as 128MB of RAM.

Running from CD/DVD is just too slow.. But from RAM it is amazingly fast.

Rackerz
October 23rd, 2006, 11:29 AM
I've used my Ubuntu CD to make XP live again once, then I just carried on using Ubuntu for the day ..

bonzodog
October 23rd, 2006, 04:33 PM
you can also, I believe actually save settings and small files to a USB stick, so you can restore your session the way it was last time you used it.

picpak
October 23rd, 2006, 04:35 PM
If you have enough RAM, then you can load the whole knoppix-image to RAM, and then your computer is reeaaally FAST. And you can also use your CD/DVD-drive.

With DamnSmallLinux it can be made with as little as 128MB of RAM.

Running from CD/DVD is just too slow.. But from RAM it is amazingly fast.

What? There are times where my Knoppix CD is faster than my computer. And it's only 128MB of RAM.

mips
October 23rd, 2006, 05:07 PM
I still don't see how it save your life!

Me neither... :rolleyes:

invalid
October 23rd, 2006, 05:11 PM
Any LiveCD, or flash-installable OS will do these same things, but glad to hear your story.

Lord Illidan
October 23rd, 2006, 05:13 PM
What? There are times where my Knoppix CD is faster than my computer. And it's only 128MB of RAM.

I wonder how is that possible..but who knows..

picpak
October 23rd, 2006, 05:49 PM
I wonder how is that possible..but who knows..

Well, that's how it was when I used KDE. With Xfce it's about the same.

However, my Mepis CD is extremely slow.

Wolki
October 23rd, 2006, 06:45 PM
The same thing happened to me during hoary... was living off a live cd for 2 weeks or so. It's much much better than nothing.

Zodiac
October 23rd, 2006, 06:58 PM
Suggested thread title change: "Ubuntu taught me the power of exaggeration"

peak_performance
October 23rd, 2006, 07:00 PM
With the live cd I looked up information for fixing Xorg once :) Lofvely.

maniacmusician
October 23rd, 2006, 07:37 PM
the live CD was a pain for me; my wireless wasnt detected out of the box, so each time i would boot up into the livecd, i would have to go through the process of using ndiswrapper to make it work. In fact, i got so good at it, last time i checked, it only took me about 3 minutes to do the whole thing...but, still a pain. hopefully edgy will fix that.