PDA

View Full Version : Back on 'buntu

Luke771
October 22nd, 2006, 08:05 PM
I've been on Linux for exactly one year, Ubuntu Breezy was my first disrto, then I tried a couple more, and now I'm back to ubuntu. Dapper, this time.
Why?
Beacuse it works.
No pain-in-the *** post install configuring, almost everything works right out of the box.

I used to recommened Ubuntu to noobs that wanted to switch to Linux even when I was using other distros myself, because of the out-of-the box functionality, and now I'm back to it for the very same reason.

For people who like to experiment (and obviously, will screw up their computer every now and then) it is important to be able to reinstall the OS without having to wrestle their way thru a lot of drivers install and configuration issues.

Albi
October 22nd, 2006, 08:28 PM
For many people, things don't work out of the box like they did for you.

nalmeth
October 22nd, 2006, 08:36 PM
For many people, things don't work out of the box like they did for you.
And for many others they did...

I agree about wrestling reinstalls, there is a mountain of things I have to do to be satisfied with my install, so I'm glad the OS just works for the base part.

matthew
October 22nd, 2006, 08:38 PM
For many people, things don't work out of the box like they did for you.But for an extremely large number of us they do.

Back on topic: Thanks Luke771 for the post.

lapsey
October 22nd, 2006, 10:37 PM
are you sure you dont want to spend all your time running emerge

.t.
October 22nd, 2006, 10:41 PM
I sure didn't. So that's why I came back. I missed the customisability though... (Epiphany with XULRunner, no Firefox and so on).

Kateikyoushi
October 22nd, 2006, 11:52 PM
Everything worked out of the box for me and that's great. I also miss the customization a bit but when edgy is out I am going to see how it goes.

djsroknrol
October 23rd, 2006, 12:53 AM
I'm running three OS's on my 'puter...Ubuntu, PCLinuxOS and Debian Etch. I keep a blank partition for distros that people recommend, but I usually try them out in VMware first....

No matter what I try, I'll never give up my Ubuntu. Nothing matches up to it....it's always dependable and bulletproof for me. I rarely have issues unless I'm playing with bleeding edge things...

%hMa@?b<C
October 23rd, 2006, 01:30 AM
breezy did not work out of the box as much as dapper for me. Mepis was my favorite during the breezy part.

bdb
October 23rd, 2006, 10:46 AM
No pain-in-the *** post install configuring, almost everything works right out of the box.

Ubuntu wasn't exactly working "out of the box." Multi monitors and a wireless card didn't set up easily or immediately.

Not complaining -- just pointing out it wasn't "out of the box."

beercz
October 24th, 2006, 01:49 AM
Takes me about 45 minutes to install ubuntu from scratch and about 2 and a half days for windows (because of all the updates, anti virus anti spyware stuff, drivers, more drivers, updates to drivers, updates to updates and so on, not forgetting the never ending restarts after each series of updates - 27 at the last count)

And then I spend ages restoring the backed up data (which takes just as long on Ubuntu machines as does Windows - depends what was backed up of course).

Luke771
January 19th, 2007, 03:33 PM
What customizability do you miss exactly?
My Edgy install is fairly customized; I run a "hybrid" desktop environment (basically Gnome, of course) with both the Gnome and the KDE panels reduced to the minimal possible size, so I have a dual-raw panel, one KDE and one Gnome, with applets from both and both system menus, I have the one Gnome feature I couldn't live without, i.e. the 'sessions' menu where I can spexcify startup comman lines without need to create scripts; and right there I typed 'kwin --replace' and 'kicker' so I have the KDE panel I was talking about (kicker) *and* the KDE winows decorations (kwin)