PDA

View Full Version : Should You Do Maintenance?

robcarr2
October 22nd, 2006, 06:30 PM
Hey, well I have recently switched to Ubuntu and was wondering should I do any maintenance on my system? e,g, on Windows I would defrag and do disk cleanup.

GStubbs43
October 22nd, 2006, 06:38 PM
You don't need to defrag, run anti-virus, anti-spyware etc. anymore! You can download an anti-virus etc. but it isn't needed. Defragger isn't needed for ext3 either.

bigken
October 22nd, 2006, 06:38 PM
not as far I know the file system looks after its self no need to defrag
you could empty the temp folder now and again I suppose ;)

weasel fierce
October 22nd, 2006, 06:39 PM
The file system used by linux doesnt fragment much, if at all, so defragging is not a concern.

You should check for, and install updates regularly, It should prompt you automatically, but otherwise, open a terminal and do these two commands

sudo apt-get update (this looks for newer versions of your installed files, in the repositories)
sudo apt-get upgrade (this downloads and installs them)

You can also open up synaptic (system, administration, synaptic package manager) and click "mark all upgrades", then Apply

EDIT: You dont need antivirus for linux, but if you send files to people with windows computers, you may want to look into it, so you dont pass on something nasty to your friends

robcarr2
October 22nd, 2006, 06:46 PM
Thanks for all the replys :)

~LoKe
October 22nd, 2006, 06:51 PM
$ sudo apt-get autoclean
$ sudo apt-get autoremove

Some small things like that you should do every once in a while. Contrary to popular...uneducated belief; Linux is low maintenance (so long as you don't screw with something you don't understand).

John.Michael.Kane
October 22nd, 2006, 08:15 PM
Should you want to defrag. have a look at this http://ubuntuforums.org/showthread.php?t=169551&highlight=pyfragtools