PDA

View Full Version : Any updates on XMCM/Magnification

RKCole
October 21st, 2006, 06:29 PM
Hello, everyone.

Has anyone heard anything regarding XMCM lately? I have been trying to keep up, but the last update to the SourceForge site was in June.

The reason I ask is because I had a bout with AiSquared (the makers of ZoomText for Windows) because I had to reinstall Windows and they disabled ZoomText altogether. Apparently if you have an Internet connection they track how many times you install ZoomText on your PC..and I have had to reinstall Windows a few other times in the past, thus I had to reinstall ZoomText. I was able to talk to the company (after going through a lot of still-unpacked boxes--I moved back in June--to find serial numbers for older versions of ZoomText) and I got my program re-activated...Unfortunately if it happens again I am out of luck and will have to pay out $175 for an upgrade (which I will not be able to afford).

XMCM looked very promising as it seemed like it would have the same (if not better) capabilities as ZoomText. Please don't' get me wrong...I really like using gnome-mag, and it makes Ubuntu very usable for me, but on my horizontal docked-top configuration, some windows are not completely visible because of the screen real-estate taken by the magnifier. I don't know what ZoomText's method of resolving this is, but it makes working with computers a lot easier. But like I said...I am quite agitated with the company, and once college lets out and I do not need Windows anymore (a lot of the programming courses I have to take require Windows-based programming tools), I plan to solely use Ubuntu.

Anyway...sorry for the long post, guys.

Hope all is well.

Take care.

cerdiogenes
October 27th, 2006, 12:21 AM
Hi,

Take a look at http://www.ubuntuforums.org/showthread.php?t=275118 . This is a gnome-mag patch that make it use the same technology as XMCM.

Feedback for this is greatly appreciated. This have some gaps, like use 100% of CPU. I realized why this is happening, but I'm working in something that I find more urgent (this will also avoid this CPU usage) and I think that soon, if I have time, this will be already.

Best regards,
Carlos.

RKCole
October 27th, 2006, 12:41 AM
Hello, Carlos.

Thank you for your response. I hope that my previous post about gnome-mag was not offensive in any way. Without gnome-mag I would be completely unable to use Linux.

I will take a look at that patch. I'm looking forward to seeing what the future has in store for Linux and accessibility.

Take care.

jasongrieves
October 27th, 2006, 05:00 AM
although i am not officially saying XMCM is dead, i believe development has stopped as of now. Gnome-mag seems to be a more complete solution and developers of xmcm seem to be contributing in other ways.

Check out my post with gnome-mag + patches. i put it together, all you have to do is 1) have edgy 2) have composite enabled 3) run make

just check out the post, works fairly well!

cerdiogenes
October 27th, 2006, 11:42 PM
Hello, Carlos.

Thank you for your response. I hope that my previous post about gnome-mag was not offensive in any way. Without gnome-mag I would be completely unable to use Linux.

It was not offensive in any way, can be sure of this!

We also know that gnome-mag have some limitations and be certainly that we will be here programming to make it better. Sometimes it take some time, because we are in a big project and some modifications in gnome-mag can have influence in other parts of the desktop.

Keep your eyes opened, probably in a near future we will have a lot of gaps filled.

Best regards,
Carlos.