PDA

View Full Version : Is it possible to run Windows Vista without the Internet?

blastus
October 21st, 2006, 05:09 PM
I am wondering if it will be possible to run Windows Vista on a standalone machine with no network connectivity. My question is, will one have to call Microsoft every few days or whenever SPP decides it's time to check again if somehow your previously genuine installation of Windows has now automagically become ungenuine? Or everytime one installs software, like a game or a video card driver, that upgrades some Microsoft thing, like DirectX, will one have to call Microsoft?

Dr. C
October 21st, 2006, 07:46 PM
Installing IE7 on XP requires "validation" over the Internet. I am not sure what would happen if there was no Internet access for IE7 installation for example.

the.dark.lord
October 22nd, 2006, 03:07 PM
Ahoy, pirates... Whatcha thinkin' , Captain? ;)

cunawarit
October 22nd, 2006, 06:22 PM
Ahoy, pirates... Whatcha thinkin' , Captain? ;)

It is a valid question, there are plenty of reasons why someone might want to run Windows without internet access for entirely valid reasons. We have gotten used to every desktop being connected to the internet, however, there are plenty of applications where this needn't be the case.

It is worth knowing if any Windows Vista versions cannot cope with that.

I would find it very hard to believe that Microsoft didn't think of that, perhaps you can't run the versions of Vista destined for home use. But I would think that there has to be a way to accommodate the type of user that wants to use Windows for for an application that makes it unnecessary or impossible to be connected to the Internet.

Prime example of this would be embedded Windows, or a machine doing a sensitive job security wise that requires no access to the Internet.

mahy
October 22nd, 2006, 06:37 PM
Installing IE7 on XP requires "validation" over the Internet. I am not sure what would happen if there was no Internet access for IE7 installation for example.

This is cool! Who'd wanna install IE7 without an Internet connection in the first place? :D

To avoid any confusion: I'm not a windows advocate.

cunawarit
October 22nd, 2006, 06:54 PM
This is cool! Who'd wanna install IE7 without an Internet connection in the first place? :D

Wild example pulled out of my head...

The Navy. They have computers in ships with manuals for every tiny little bit of equipment on board. From engines and radar systems down to a light switch.

I don't know if they still use it, but the US Navy used to do just that using Microcosm, a hypertext system developed at the University of Southampton.

I have never seen the system work so I am speculating on how it works. But a system like this would store very sensitive data, and it wouldn't be connected to the Internet for security reasons. However, it may be possible to use IE7 in order to view the manuals, and as such it would be useful to have it installed in machines that are not connected to the Internet.

Dr. C
October 23rd, 2006, 07:47 AM

To avoid any confusion: I'm not a windows advocate.

There are many situations where one would want to use a web browser and not be connected to the Internet. A web site on an Intranet, web pages (html documents) on the local machine etc.

Old Pink
October 26th, 2006, 01:30 AM
I doubt it will be, although a Vista installation disk will commit suicide after installation, so it'll be pretty hard to get a pirate copy running with or without the internet...

Ptero-4
October 27th, 2006, 04:45 AM
I actually can't care any less about Waste's suicidal habits or Waste's inability to run w/o an internet conection, b/c I'm not going to put it in my machine, never.

RRS
October 27th, 2006, 05:05 AM
Although any Windows version can serve as the primary, or host, operating system, only the Business and Ultimate versions of Vista can run as guest operating systems in virtualization.

Here's (http://news.com.com/Microsoft+limits+Vista+transfers/2100-1016_3-6126379.html) the article the quote came from.

This paragraph from the EULA seems to indicate another problem, how do you activate if the machine's not on-line?

"4. MANDATORY ACTIVATION. Activation associates the use of the software with a specific device. During activation, the software will send information about the software and the device to Microsoft. This information includes the version, language and product key of the software, the Internet protocol address of the device, and information derived from the hardware configuration of the device. For more information, see http://go.microsoft.com/fwlink/?linkid=69497. By using the software, you consent to the transmission of this information. Before you activate, you have the right to use the version of the software installed during the installation process. Your right to use the software after the time specified in the installation process is limited unless it is activated. This is to prevent its unlicensed use. You will not be able to continue using the software after that time if you do not activate it".

Sunnz
October 28th, 2006, 12:58 PM
Here's (http://news.com.com/Microsoft+limits+Vista+transfers/2100-1016_3-6126379.html) the article the quote came from.

This paragraph from the EULA seems to indicate another problem, how do you activate if the machine's not on-line?
Another reason for not accepting the license and ask for a refund, "I do NOT intend to use my computer with internet connection."

lazyart
October 28th, 2006, 01:12 PM
I actually can't care any less about Waste's suicidal habits or Waste's inability to run w/o an internet conection, b/c I'm not going to put it in my machine, never.

In the interest of being a community here, why does one take the time to post this?

kwrxxx
October 28th, 2006, 01:37 PM
The business Vista do not require any validation.

Dr. C
October 28th, 2006, 06:50 PM
The business Vista do not require any validation.

This was true for XP for certain Business licenses but not for VIsta. Business and Enterprise users of Windows will be welcomed to the world of DRM

randomnumber
October 31st, 2006, 02:50 AM
You all miss a very common valid reason to not have a vista computer connected to the internet. Small to medium sixe companies that use computers do not connect their computers to the internet so that they do not have to worry about security. Think about the company that makes and sells restoration parts for cars. The quanities are too small to excessively spend on networks and network administration. Usually these companies have their accounts information and other important documents stored on networked servers that are not tied to the internet. These companies do not even want wireless connections for the risk it comes with.

How are you going to register all the computers? Just make a phone call and MS will give you a code or something. I am certain they will find a way to take your and the company's money.

Another little note about registration is that I have XP dual boot on my desktop and I have upgraded so much overtime that the registration thinks it is being installed on 2 computers. I have to make a long drawn out phone call to reinstall XP each time. I think it is actually funny becuase I am not on hold too long and it cost MS each time I make the call. I know it cost me but if there are enough situations like mine, it cost them much more. BTW, everytime I call them, it seems that they do not believe me but have no choice but to take my word. I am NOT installing the same licence on multiple computers.