PDA

View Full Version : problem with bibus

machoo02
October 21st, 2006, 04:52 PM
Hi,

I've been having a little trouble with getting bibus working. Goes through the normal install fine, sets up the OO.o connection, and creates a .pysqlite3 database. However, when I try to import references via File>Import>Refer (Endnote), bibus just hangs. Had this same problem when I tried to install bibus in Windows. Any thoughts/solutions? Would love to save my bibliography from the 3rd circle demon known as Thompson ResearchSoft.

Edit:
Ok, so I found the solution on the Bibus Wiki page @ SourceForge. The important part is formatting your references in the 'Endnote Export' format before exporting. Funny, I read that page probably 5 times in frustration, and that one line seems to have escaped my attention every time.

akniss
October 24th, 2006, 03:54 PM
Hi,

I've been having a little trouble with getting bibus working. Goes through the normal install fine, sets up the OO.o connection, and creates a .pysqlite3 database. However, when I try to import references via File>Import>Refer (Endnote), bibus just hangs. Had this same problem when I tried to install bibus in Windows. Any thoughts/solutions? Would love to save my bibliography from the 3rd circle demon known as Thompson ResearchSoft.

Edit:
Ok, so I found the solution on the Bibus Wiki page @ SourceForge. The important part is formatting your references in the 'Endnote Export' format before exporting. Funny, I read that page probably 5 times in frustration, and that one line seems to have escaped my attention every time.

So does this mean you have a working Bibus installation on Edgy? This is one of the things keeping me on Dapper. I'm scared that if I upgrade it will take me days to get Bibus working properly again...

machoo02
October 26th, 2006, 04:40 PM
So does this mean you have a working Bibus installation on Edgy? This is one of the things keeping me on Dapper. I'm scared that if I upgrade it will take me days to get Bibus working properly again...

So far, so good. I've had no problems with Bibus so far (although I am relatively new to using it, so it could be that I just haven't pushed it far enough to break).

euphro
November 2nd, 2006, 12:53 PM
Thanks for the info on this. I spent a frustrating few hours on Saturday trying to import my Endnote library into bibus and only succeeded in corrupting it. I've had a look through the Sourceforge bibus wiki but I haven't so far found the reference to using Endnote export format. Nevertheless, the pointers you've provided here have helped me solve my problem. Thanks again :)

GrumpyBob
November 4th, 2006, 06:02 AM

I had bibus working on my laptop using Breezy, updated it to Dapper and it still worked. Upgraded to Edgy, and after failing to sort out the ensuing xserver issues did a clean reinstall. Reinstalled Bibus and it was working just as before! Presumably it just picked up whatever configuration files remained in my home folder (I have /home on a separate partition, so it was unaffected by the clean reinstall.

So, yes, bibus is fine with edgy.

Robert

akniss
November 4th, 2006, 04:43 PM
I had bibus working on my laptop using Breezy, updated it to Dapper and it still worked. Upgraded to Edgy, and after failing to sort out the ensuing xserver issues did a clean reinstall. Reinstalled Bibus and it was working just as before! Presumably it just picked up whatever configuration files remained in my home folder (I have /home on a separate partition, so it was unaffected by the clean reinstall.

So, yes, bibus is fine with edgy.

Robert

Thanks for the update, that's great news! I will probably give edgy a go in the next week or so.

David Valentine
November 7th, 2006, 03:07 AM
One thing to be aware of is the fact that Bibus will not check to ensure that python-pysqlite2 is installed, so if your database is in sqlite3 format, you'll just get an error when you try to open it. It seems like python-pysqlite2 ought to be a dependency...