PDA

View Full Version : Oracle, Ubuntu, and Shuttleworth on Cnet

greggh
October 21st, 2006, 03:58 PM
http://news.com.com/Ubuntu+chief+Oracle+Linux+has+tactical+value/2100-7344_3-6128259.html?tag=nefd.top

From the article...

Releasing a version of Linux tailored to its own needs could be an example of Oracle using the principles of the open-source and free software movement to change the competitive rules for proprietary and open-source software companies alike, Shuttleworth said.

"I certainly think Oracle has the skills and capacity to do a good job supporting the parts of Linux that Oracle itself requires," Shuttleworth said. "It would send a clear message to the market that the Linux game is different compared to the Windows game and the AIX game and the Solaris game."

Linux players would pay attention, too. "Think of it as a bit of a reality check for the Linux market," he said of the possibility.

And despite Oracle's status as a powerful proprietary software company, Shuttleworth also appears happy to see Oracle as an ally with open-source Linux.

"This is free software, and it is ultimately about paying for the services you specifically need," Shuttleworth said. "That is a very good message, and it would be very smart of Oracle to send that message specifically."

kleeman
October 22nd, 2006, 04:54 PM
Speculation that Oracle Linux=Ubuntu appears to be growing:

http://www.itwire.com.au/content/view/6517/983/

prizrak
October 22nd, 2006, 05:36 PM
It's an obvious choice. Ubuntu's system of using a single base and a meta package that pulls everything together on top. So it would be easy for Oracle to create an oracle-desktop package to put onto a base-install. And as someone who spent a month trying to get an Oracle RAC cluster installed and running I wish they would make an Ubuntu one.

kripkenstein
October 22nd, 2006, 06:28 PM
Oracle shouldn't make their own distro, but they should make a 'barebones' version of Linux that just runs Oracle on it. Then you would run that in virtualization as an "Oracle Appliance", saving a lot of compatibility and stability problems.

greggh
October 22nd, 2006, 06:41 PM
Oracle shouldn't make their own distro, but they should make a 'barebones' version of Linux that just runs Oracle on it. Then you would run that in virtualization as an "Oracle Appliance", saving a lot of compatibility and stability problems.

Essentially, that would be making their own disto, albeit for a very limited and specific use.

kripkenstein
October 22nd, 2006, 06:44 PM
Essentially, that would be making their own disto, albeit for a very limited and specific use.

Yeah, you're right. But some of the reports seem to hint at them making a full-fledged distro, which doesn't make much sense to me. I guess we'll find out eventually.

KingBahamut
October 22nd, 2006, 06:58 PM
Mark should talk to Wim. He probably would get a clearer picture.

prizrak
October 22nd, 2006, 08:18 PM
Yeah, you're right. But some of the reports seem to hint at them making a full-fledged distro, which doesn't make much sense to me. I guess we'll find out eventually.
I think the people reporting just don't understand what they are talking about. Oracle wouldn't make their own Linux distro, there is no point for them to do that. If they do go for it, it's likely to just be as you said a barebones install with only the stuff Oracle needs. I would have loved it if Oracle had one tailored specifically to VM's I was trying to do CentOS in MS Virtual Server with Oracle that thing was so damn slow. Not to mention the CRS service never did come up :(

KingBahamut
October 22nd, 2006, 08:36 PM
As stated already, Wim Coekaerts, would be the one to ask.

graabein
October 31st, 2006, 01:08 PM
More on this...

http://searchopensource.techtarget.com/originalContent/0,289142,sid39_gci1226514,00.html