PDA

View Full Version : Moved to Ubuntu Cafe - Sad Farewell

psychoadonis
October 21st, 2006, 12:16 PM
I've tried various linux versions over the last few years, and from what little I've seen, Ubuntu sure is the best yet. I had installed it for a week or so, with the intention to eventually switch over, but I've changed my mind.

The most frustrating problems I've had are with the screen refresh rate (ATI Radeon) and my PPPOE connection. I know it can be solved, but its just taking too much time. And that's something I'm short of right now.

But I definitely haven't given up. OpenSource is the future, and I have no doubt about that. So I'll be back, and hopefully be able to make a significant contribution the the community. Till then, I'll have to bear with windows.
:icon_frown:

localuser
October 21st, 2006, 01:25 PM
Sorry to see you go psychoadonis. If its not too late, I have a suggestion for one last and final attempt.

Have you tried out EasyUbuntu? If not, then you can install it from http://easyubuntu.freecontrib.org/

It has a driver install for ATI and it may just solve the problem. It also has some other proprietary drivers and codecs. I am not affiliated with this product in any way, so this isn't a plug.

I tried it out for a Java install and it seemed to work fine. The Flash install didn't work and I ran into problem when trying to set up their repository list. But if you're going to be getting rid of your Linux install regardless, then I suppose that it couldn't hurt to give their ATI driver install a try.

Good luck.

chaosgeisterchen
October 21st, 2006, 02:14 PM
That's too bad :(

But did you ever post what's exactly wrong with your PPOE - connection?

psychoadonis
October 21st, 2006, 02:30 PM
Wow!

2 replies in 2 hours!
I have to wait that long to get my internet connection renewed!

I'd actually removed Ubuntu after I posted that... but the sheer enthusiasm almost makes me feel bad for doing so.

Thanks a lot guys... I'm gonna give Ubuntu another shot.
Now I know help is at hand!!

localuser
October 21st, 2006, 02:50 PM
Thanks a lot guys... I'm gonna give Ubuntu another shot. Now I know help is at hand!!

Cool! We kept another poor, lost soul from making a terrible mistake :)

You would have been very unhappy if you hadn't come back. You would have lost many nights of sleep. This would have affected your performance at work, which would have caused your boss to notice the change in you. You wouldn't have gotten a raise, but worse still, continuing to work on Windows would have caused even deeper feelings of regret and sorrow. Eventually you would have been fired from work because you would not have been able to concentrate. The fact that you hadn't tried to fix the problems would have haunted you.

Very soon after, lying homeless and hungry on the street, you would have come around and decided to try Ubuntu again after all. I know how all this would have transpired, because I had all this happen to me. Aren't you glad you made that decision now?

Now go my child. Go and replace that black, gunky operating system with a fresh, clean, new one. Then come back and post the problems you're having.

I think you'll not find a more helpful group of people than in this forum.

caravel
October 23rd, 2006, 10:05 AM
After wasting my weekend on this, I will also be bidding farewell to Ubuntu. It's a pity as it's the only Linux distribution that I've actually taken too. I had everything configured how I'd liked. I'd fixed the refresh rate on my ATI card with the help of the members here. Then I'd installed the fglrx driver to stop the crashing screensavers problem. After this I'd installed the Sun J2RE after enabling the multiverse repositaries, and installed Frostwire. I had Google earth and Firefox 2.0 RC3 running perfectly. Then I went on and installed the 686 and K7 kernels. Everything still running smooth, whichever kernel I used. The last thing I did was download build-essential before finishing off on the friday night. Saturday when I logged in I was presented with the two errors:

update-notifier quit unexpectedly
gnome-volume-manager quit unexpectedly

I tried everything and I could think of, and couldn't solve it. The crashes occured whichever kernel I booted from and weren't fixed by reinstalling the offending programs. Only one member replied to my thread here. I posted the crash dump files but never got any more responses, despite bumping the thread. A search beforehand revealed 1 similar unanswered thread from the past so I wasn't hopeful anyway.

So all my work seemed for nothing and now I've installed Fedora Core 5, which just isn't the same really. I can't even install the latest firefox on that thing. ](*,)

The way things are going I'll be either a) going back to sickening Windows XP again or b) throwing the PC out of the window in disgust.

nelefa
October 23rd, 2006, 10:08 AM
Then I went on and installed the 686 and K7 kernels.

Was there any particular reason for installing these kernels?

John

mips
October 23rd, 2006, 10:25 AM
The most frustrating problems I've had are with the screen refresh rate (ATI Radeon) and my PPPOE connection. I know it can be solved, but its just taking too much time. And that's something I'm short of right now.

A lot of people use PPPoE although they don't have to go that route, ignorance can be painfull. Most people have Ethernet routers but don't actually realise that & think/believe it's a modem. They use the ethernet router in bridged mode thus requiring PPPoE.

If you have a ADSL device with an Ethernet port the chances are 99.9% that you have an ethernet router although your isp might call it a modem. The trick is to configure the "modem" to become a router which is usually pretty simple & easy. You just need to access the routers management interface via a web browser and make a few small changes.

If however you have a USB device the whole scenario changes and you do have a modem which will require PPPoE.

caravel
October 23rd, 2006, 10:27 AM
Hi nelefa

I installed them because I assumed that they would perform better. I tried the 686 kernel for about an hour and then heard about the K7 kernel and installed that. I was running under the K7 kernel since.

Do you think this may have caused my problems? If I tried again, installed the K7 kernel straight off, removed the 386 kernel and then proceeded as before, though using the K7 kernel exclusively? :-k

-edit: @mips, it depends on the region. Over here in the UK PPPoA is much more common and PPPoE is mostly only used for cable modems I believe. In some countries, such as the US, PPPoE is the only way to connect IIRC. You're right about those modem/router boxes with both an RJ45 and a USB connection. Alot of people could be using those as routers, instead they're unaware of their potential and are running them as USB modems (bridged mode).

KhaaL
October 25th, 2006, 12:15 AM
Hi nelefa

I installed them because I assumed that they would perform better. I tried the 686 kernel for about an hour and then heard about the K7 kernel and installed that. I was running under the K7 kernel since.

Do you think this may have caused my problems? If I tried again, installed the K7 kernel straight off, removed the 386 kernel and then proceeded as before, though using the K7 kernel exclusively? :-k

-edit: @mips, it depends on the region. Over here in the UK PPPoA is much more common and PPPoE is mostly only used for cable modems I believe. In some countries, such as the US, PPPoE is the only way to connect IIRC. You're right about those modem/router boxes with both an RJ45 and a USB connection. Alot of people could be using those as routers, instead they're unaware of their potential and are running them as USB modems (bridged mode).

I belive pretty much that the installation of those kernels could be the cause of the problems. All kernels has been obsolete and replaced with the generic kernel - a decision taken during the alpha phase of edgy in order to optimize the workflow and to keep the hassle down. And I know from experience that sometimes things don't work in certain kernels that you choose in GRUB, but others work.

I hope you haven't deleted your partition, because there is still a good chance you can keep your settings, since they're stored in your /home/[user] directory

darkhatter
October 25th, 2006, 12:22 AM
adsl-setup
adsl-start
adsl-stop

that will solve the pppoe problem, I don't think ubuntu has a gui tool for that but alot of other distro do

mips
October 25th, 2006, 09:55 AM
This individual is not coming back, case of hit & run.

With only two post he/she could not have tried very hard.

No point on carrying on here...

Sef
October 25th, 2006, 11:10 AM
This individual is not coming back, case of hit & run.

With only two post he/she could not have tried very hard.

No point on carrying on here...

True, so I will lock it.