PDA

View Full Version : What happened to Alkyproject.com?

Kurt`
October 21st, 2006, 12:04 PM
Site has been down for a while and I can't seem to find any info on this project!

I was hoping that this project would let me finally switch to a completely non-Microsoft setup. :/

Does anyone know what is going on with the project? There's not even a Wikipedia article for it...

Old Pink
October 21st, 2006, 01:02 PM
Ask here:
http://groups.google.com/group/alkyproject

:)

Kurt`
October 21st, 2006, 01:05 PM
Yeah, I saw that as a result of one of my Google queries...

I hope the project didn't die. :x

slimdog360
October 21st, 2006, 01:11 PM
hope not also, but lets face it, that was going to be one mammoth task.

Old Pink
October 21st, 2006, 01:39 PM
What was the project? How does it differ from wine?

Kurt`
October 21st, 2006, 02:45 PM
It converts Windows binaries into native Mac and Linux formats. There's no emulation involved.

Basically, you'd run a binary through the program (say, mspaint for example), and it converts it to the native Linux format. During the conversion process, it replaces calls to Win32 API functions with calls to libalky's equivalents. Now you can run mspaint NATIVELY on Linux without the overhead of an emulation layer like WINE. :D

And, as you can guess, running natively is insanely faster than on-the-fly conversion (which is WINE's approach).

A monumental task, but it would bring high-end gaming and many Windows-exclusive apps to linux, and possibly help ease transition for many users/gamers, myself included.

Polygon
October 21st, 2006, 02:59 PM
this reminds me of Cider, which from my memory is the project to bundle a set of code with a windows binary, and then compile it and then it would work on a mac perfectly, without changing the original windows code.

.t.
October 21st, 2006, 08:29 PM
Well, why not just incorporate PE and Win32 kernel-land into the Linux kernel, then?

Old Pink
October 22nd, 2006, 02:02 AM
Basically, you'd run a binary through the program (say, mspaint for example), and it converts it to the native Linux format. During the conversion process, it replaces calls to Win32 API functions with calls to libalky's equivalents. Now you can run mspaint NATIVELY on Linux without the overhead of an emulation layer like WINE. :D

iTunes... :-k

I would *love* for iTunes to run natively in linux. I would pay for it. :(

Kurt`
October 22nd, 2006, 03:23 AM
I looked for the project earlier, as I wanted to donate some time to it (and C/assembly), but couldn't find anything on it.

#alky on freenode has *!*@* banned, Google Groups page is dead, website has been dead for a while... R.I.P. I guess. :-|

cmmike1
October 22nd, 2006, 05:05 AM
it's too bad because it would have been a good project for linux. once people knew about this and knew they could use their programs natively they would most likely switch to linux for security and to use their programs.

.t.
October 22nd, 2006, 09:35 AM
@OldPink

Why do you want to use iTunes? There are soooo many better, freer players around. Listen, amaroK, Songbird (if you want a clone); the list goes on.

Old Pink
October 22nd, 2006, 10:54 AM
@OldPink

Why do you want to use iTunes? There are soooo many better, freer players around. Listen, amaroK, Songbird (if you want a clone); the list goes on.

I've used them all, and while all are somewhat brilliant, none of them can seamlessly manage my 5.5G iPod Video.

amaroK is my favourite, but it doesn't recognize all iTunes format, so I use amaroK for listening, and gtkpod for syncing.

gtkpod is great, but when ever I sync, my entire "Music Videos >" option just disapears, and I have to plug it into a Windows computer to make it come back.

Sure, I could use a Windows computer of mine running iTunes for all music management, but when I work on this one (the faster, better specced, better OS computer) and suddenly get sent/buy a song and think "Hey, that could go on my iPod" - I don't want to be running across the house and booting XP, do I? :(

Please, don't turn this into another "Old Pink, why do you like iTunes?" thread...

Kurt`
October 22nd, 2006, 01:22 PM
I don't want to be running across the house and booting XP, do I? :(
I don't want to be booting XP for anything. ;)

That's why I wanted this project to succeed.

I've only started writing my own programs in assembly on Linux recently, but I am quite competent at C. Maybe if I had project management training, I would start my own project similar to alky. :)

mainsheep
April 24th, 2007, 08:14 AM
http://alkyproject.blogspot.com

It's not dead :) Thank god..

DoctorMO
April 24th, 2007, 08:39 AM
Well, why not just incorporate PE and Win32 kernel-land into the Linux kernel, then?

Why not put pustules from plague victims on you skin and run them all in, then to make sure your further compatible will surgically embed the puss in your heart.

*ew*

There are those of us who honestly think the windows OS is a horrible sputum on the rectum of mankind.

Then there are those that would point out it'd allow Microsoft to shut Linux down through copyright infringement since win32 kernel-land is their code/program.

It's not dead Thank god..

It's as good as dead, I can see the direction it's moving very worrying; stray too far from the FLOSS world and the project will be damaged by market forces which all flow against this project.

karellen
April 24th, 2007, 08:44 AM
@OldPink

do you have something against people using whatever they want?

and on the topic, I didn't know about that proiect, but sounds wonderful to me (yahoo messenger with photo sharing and large files transfer...\\:D/ . I really wish is hasn't died out, like many others...:confused: