PDA

View Full Version : Am I the only one who didn't install Flash 9 beta...?

aysiu
October 21st, 2006, 03:59 AM
All the news seems to be Flash 9 beta. There appear to have been ten threads about it posted to in the last twenty-four hours (http://ubuntuforums.org/search.php?searchid=9005076).

I don't care. I'm using Flash 7 and loving it. Am I the only one?

banjobacon
October 21st, 2006, 04:02 AM
Good for you.

xhaan
October 21st, 2006, 04:02 AM
You're not the only one.
I hate Flash... well no, I hate the way flash is used, it's good for some things but should not be used as the entire site content...

Bree
October 21st, 2006, 04:16 AM
Installed it as soon as I found out about its release

this one.

I don't care for flash, but I need it.

ice60
October 21st, 2006, 04:17 AM
i've never had a problem with 7. i was about to install 9 but ended up doing something else :confused:

edit, there was site i went to which needed version 9. i will get it at some point.

Quake
October 21st, 2006, 04:29 AM
I guess you're one of the only ones. Flash 7 was getting old, and it's bug ridden. I couldn't watch flash videos in linux (A/V sync problem) and I had to go to windows to watch them.
Flash 9 is a hell lot better. I still find that the audio isn't completely synced with the video but the best thing is that it doesn't get worse, it stays that way.

taurus
October 21st, 2006, 04:31 AM
Flash 9 beta! What's that??? :-k

aysiu
October 21st, 2006, 04:31 AM
If Flash 7 was bug ridden, it didn't bother me much. Seems to work fine for me.

Kindred
October 21st, 2006, 04:33 AM
I don't like Flash, run 64bit and use only free software anyway.. so no chance.

LMP900
October 21st, 2006, 04:55 AM
Wine + Firefox for me.

zenwhen
October 21st, 2006, 04:56 AM
I was on it like stink on crap.

maniacmusician
October 21st, 2006, 05:04 AM
I installed it, but it didnt work out as well as I had planned. Works in *fox, but not in konqueror. I think it's just my installation, other people did it fine. And my konqueror does a lot of stupid stuff that other people's konquerors do fine. i guess i'm going for a clean install with edgy then.

Polygon
October 21st, 2006, 05:26 AM
i installed it the second i found out about it

flash was one of the major problems that i had in linux, sound + video not syncing, now thats one less problem in linux. Now if there was only more game support in linux i would happily delete my windows partition.

meng
October 21st, 2006, 05:33 AM
I can live without the latest Flash. Once it comes online (meaning in the non-free repositories) I'll update to it. Any website that requires Flash 8 or above is unnecessarily limiting its traffic anyway, why should I be bothered accommodating them?

rocknrolf77
October 21st, 2006, 05:38 AM
Had to have it the second I learned it was here. Was getting sick of going to a page and getting the annoying message that I needed flash 9. Just download it and install. A HA. Sites with nothing in them. No menus, no nothing. Many bands use fancy sites with flash. Don't know why, you can make them fancy without using flash and making adobe the monopoly of computer graphics. If ubuntu is backed up by that much money. Why not also good free graphics? :confused:

Polygon
October 21st, 2006, 05:39 AM
I can live without the latest Flash. Once it comes online (meaning in the non-free repositories) I'll update to it. Any website that requires Flash 8 or above is unnecessarily limiting its traffic anyway, why should I be bothered accommodating them?

not necessarily.... because if a website or whatever requires flash 8/9 and they are using a lower version, then the web browser or the flash file will tell them to upgrade, and then they press ok, download a .exe, double click it, restart their browser and voila, its updated. Thats how i know there is a update to the flash player when a movie yells at me for having an older version (in windows at least)

Dr. C
October 21st, 2006, 06:32 AM
It is not a huge priority for me. If I come across a website that needs it I may install the 9 beta but otherwise I will wait for the official release.

Iandefor
October 21st, 2006, 06:49 AM
As soon as I found out about its release, I grabbed it. I've never been able to get Flash 7 working right (sound wasn't working). The Beta works just dandily. I'm actually really pumped, since Flash has been pretty much the only problem I've had with Linux in the last year or so.

Anduu
October 21st, 2006, 06:53 AM
I installed it within seconds of finding out it was released...Several sites that I frequent have recently switched to flash 8 or higher which has become very annoying so I had to switch.

It has been a very pleasant experience.

Rhapsody
October 21st, 2006, 08:12 AM
I upgraded as soon as I heard about it. I've had nothing but problems with the old Flash 7 plugin, and almost all have been fixed with the Flash 9 beta. I've also got a standalone version now too, which I like.

chaosgeisterchen
October 21st, 2006, 09:08 AM
Flash 7 is fine with me, I do not often require it.

So I will wait for the final release.

John T. Monkey
October 21st, 2006, 09:51 AM
I guess you're one of the only ones. Flash 7 was getting old, and it's bug ridden. I couldn't watch flash videos in linux (A/V sync problem) and I had to go to windows to watch them.
Flash 9 is a hell lot better. I still find that the audio isn't completely synced with the video but the best thing is that it doesn't get worse, it stays that way.

I have that problem with Flash 7 in Linux, and it's very, very annoying.

I'm still using it for now though. Don't use it much anyway and I have Windows if I get stuck...

Minyaliel
October 21st, 2006, 10:39 AM
I rejoiced, then hurried to the site to get it. I've always been annoyed with no sound in Flash 7, or, if I was being lucky, sound so out of sync it just became hilarious...

ubuntu_demon
October 21st, 2006, 11:49 AM
I'm using seveas' flashplugin-nonfree. Which is ubuntu's flashplugin-nonfree except that it uses flash 9 beta. This will probably be my recommendation for Edgy in my Ubuntu Customization Guide.

DC@DR
October 21st, 2006, 11:55 AM
This is my choice: "I'm content with Flash 7 and probably won't install Flash 9 until it's officially released" --> it says it all :)

Lster
October 21st, 2006, 12:04 PM
I like new versions of programs... but dont really care about Flash that much.

.t.
October 21st, 2006, 12:04 PM
I haven't installed Flash at all. It's proprietary (I like to stay clean), and I don't like the way it is used, often promoting the use of other closed software and formats. Plus, I think websites shouldn't need it.

AndyCooll
October 21st, 2006, 12:19 PM
I'm not in any rush to update either. I will do so if I ever feel it is necessary. Clearly, the websites I visit don't require version 9 at the moment as none of them have screamed at me to update!

:cool:

3rdalbum
October 21st, 2006, 02:12 PM
A story you might find interesting:

A website for a children's group I follow (www.hi-5.com.au) wouldn't let me in before, because it says it requires Flash 8. After uninstalling Flash 7 and installing the new Flash 9 beta, I eagerly went to the site... to find that it still wasn't letting me in.

I tried Firefox on Wine, which has Flash 9, but the site still told me that I needed Flash 8. Mystified, I went to the page's Javascript source code... and the dumbass web developer had done the following:

// some functions for parsing the Flash version
// and putting it into the variable "flashversion"
if (flashversion=="8") {
//some functions to insert the Flash movie into the page
} else {
print "Sorry, you need the Flash 8 plugin to view this site"
}

Now that's what I call dependency hell! I mean, did the idiot who wrote that Javascript think that Flash 8 was going to be the last ever version?