PDA

View Full Version : 512mb USB Pen Drive - uses?

ixus_123
October 20th, 2006, 08:36 PM
I've got a 512mb usb pen drive & was wondering if you could reccomend possible uses for it?

I was thinking abou tperhaps having a linux on there like puppy or DSL but would prefer Ubuntu (server ed with xfce) if posssible.

Or maybe just have /home on there - not sure how to that either

any ideas possible uses?

BWF89
October 20th, 2006, 08:38 PM
I tried a week ago to put Damn Small onto my 1GB flash drive but it wouldn't work for some reason. I tried installing it with a different configuration every time but none of them worked.

bionnaki
October 20th, 2006, 08:44 PM
http://www.torrify.com/

ixus_123
October 20th, 2006, 08:52 PM
That torpark certainly looks interesting.

However I' be cuastious about using things like that as isn't there an icreases risk of my net requests being routed through computers that are also being used by dodgy people who want to hide their browsing habits - say peodaphiles / terrorists? Am I way off on this? I'd hate my PC to get siezed becuase Tor passed me through some dodgy IPs

Lord Illidan
October 20th, 2006, 08:58 PM
I use my pendrive for backups and school, very handy!

raul_
October 20th, 2006, 09:03 PM
DSL sounds good to me :) I would do that but i only have a 256mb pen and i really don't need another one

chaosgeisterchen
October 20th, 2006, 09:06 PM
I'm still waiting for 64GB+ - sized pendrives in a handy format just like the nowadays ones.

Beside that I use my (rather lousy and cheap) 512 MB pendrive for backups on programming projects, school data and other stuff I carry with me.

bionnaki
October 20th, 2006, 09:23 PM
That torpark certainly looks interesting.

However I' be cuastious about using things like that as isn't there an icreases risk of my net requests being routed through computers that are also being used by dodgy people who want to hide their browsing habits - say peodaphiles / terrorists? Am I way off on this? I'd hate my PC to get siezed becuase Tor passed me through some dodgy IPs

you should ask that question in their forums

ixus_123
October 20th, 2006, 09:32 PM
you should ask that question in their forums

haha - I'd probably get flamed to hell & back. I'm all for privacy & think tor is great but you hve to think that whilst everyone deserves to be able to use it, it must be a hotbed for dodgy traffic

zachtib
October 20th, 2006, 09:35 PM
i installed portable versions of firefox / gaim / open office / gimp / etc so that when I'm at class, if i'm forced to use XP, i at least don't have to put up with IE and such

fuscia
October 20th, 2006, 10:43 PM
i have a 256mb and i've used it to load personal files (wallpaper, etc.) when testing live cds of other distros. i also used it to get the icons from dreamlinux.

1comment
March 28th, 2008, 06:23 AM
I put ubuntu on my 512MB usb =D

It wasn't easy for me... I had to mix together things from pendrivelinux.com and some article on livecd customisation (might have been http://www.debuntu.org/book/export/html/216 , but I can't remember now)

By taking the windows apps, non-English locale files, help files and open-office out, i managed to squeeze it down to 510MB total (and i even installed the compizconfig-settings-manager *and* the nvidia restricted driver!)

It boots super-fast, thanks to almost nonexistent flash seek times, and because it boots read-only, it doesn't chew through the 10,000-100,000 flash memory write cycles.

barbedsaber
March 28th, 2008, 02:24 PM
www.portableapps.com

nuff said

cajunbulldog
March 28th, 2008, 02:32 PM
I use my 8gb drive for my back ups at work. That way my files are backed up to a separate media from work network.

Lord Illidan
March 28th, 2008, 02:40 PM
Please don't resurrect old threads.