PDA

View Full Version : Asked a question in Yahoo Answers

mishranurag
October 20th, 2006, 07:02 PM
About why Yahoo doesn't make better messenger for Linux. I got these replies.

http://answers.yahoo.com/question/index?qid=20061020094746AASL1NT&r=w

I asked this question as I found no better way to request yahoo to upgrade their messenger for yahoo.

Anurag

meng
October 20th, 2006, 07:06 PM
I'm not sure if you were expecting either well-informed answers or a promise to do better, but it doesn't surprise me that you got neither. Having said that, there is gaim (no audio/video of course), as one of the responders pointed out.

aysiu
October 20th, 2006, 07:15 PM
I'm confused. Isn't there a Yahoo! Messenger for Linux already?
http://messenger.yahoo.com/messenger/download/unix.html

Brunellus
October 20th, 2006, 07:31 PM
I love how the "but Linux isn't UNIFIED" argument gets trotted out several times. Obviously these people haven't thought of statically-linked binaries ?

aysiu
October 20th, 2006, 07:37 PM
I love how the "but Linux isn't UNIFIED" argument gets trotted out several times. Obviously these people haven't thought of statically-linked binaries ?
For example, Firefox and Songbird... those can be run as-is on any distro, right?

Brunellus
October 20th, 2006, 08:00 PM
For example, Firefox and Songbird... those can be run as-is on any distro, right?
sush, aysiu. You can't let silly things like FACTS get in the way of peoples deeply-held beliefs on the impossibility of Linux.

justin whitaker
October 20th, 2006, 08:07 PM
sush, aysiu. You can't let silly things like FACTS get in the way of peoples deeply-held beliefs on the impossibility of Linux.

Yeah, that's CRAZY talk. ;)

mishranurag
October 20th, 2006, 08:07 PM
The response that its difficult to make applications for Linux was really surprising to me.

Lord Illidan
October 20th, 2006, 08:13 PM
The response that its difficult to make applications for Linux was really surprising to me.

it can be difficult if you have to learn everything from scratch..wxwidgets, etc..

maniacmusician
October 20th, 2006, 08:13 PM
are these people supposed to be qualified? true, they do seem to know more than the average windows power user, but that's not saying much.

banjobacon
October 20th, 2006, 08:36 PM
are these people supposed to be qualified? true, they do seem to know more than the average windows power user, but that's not saying much.
No, they're not supposed to be. Anyone can answer the question.