PDA

View Full Version : Best Free Webmail?

Ubuntist
October 20th, 2006, 09:31 AM
I've been using GMX for my webmail for some time, but it has recently imposed limits on the number of people to which you can address a message. That's good for limiting the transmission of spam, I suppose, but a pain when I want to contact lots of friends at once.

So -- what are the best free e-mail providers?

I want a web-based system. IMAP capability would be a plus, since I might want it in the future. I'd like to think that the provider would take my privacy seriously, and I don't want to get a lot of e-mails from the provider. Finally, I'd rather not go with a really big provider, like yahoo, gmail, etc. What would you suggest?

Engnome
October 20th, 2006, 11:10 AM
Finally, I'd rather not go with a really big provider, like yahoo, gmail, etc. What would you suggest?

May I ask why? A big provider is more likely to stay in buisness so you don't have to change mail adress. I use yahoo and it works but I also have a gmail. Pm if you want invites.

chaosgeisterchen
October 20th, 2006, 11:25 AM
Gmail has never ever disappointed me so far...

alecjw
October 20th, 2006, 12:03 PM
I've emailed you a GMail invite.

easyease
October 20th, 2006, 12:24 PM
Hi did i hear someone mention gmail invites???? I know Im being cheeky but if anyone has one going spare Id love one to........please!
gawd im blatently being cheeky, i should be ashamed of myself.....:mrgreen:

chaosgeisterchen
October 20th, 2006, 12:27 PM
Give me your mail-adress..

easyease
October 20th, 2006, 12:31 PM
inbox...... :D

greggh
October 20th, 2006, 12:35 PM
https://mail.google.com

Make sure to use this with the HTTPS:// instead of gmail.com or even mail.google.com and you will stay ssl'd the whole time you are in gmail for that session. Just a little tip I read somewhere a day or two ago.

chaosgeisterchen
October 20th, 2006, 12:35 PM
Done.

easyease
October 20th, 2006, 12:45 PM
Thanks very much! eternally grateful! :D

Spano
October 20th, 2006, 01:49 PM
AIM Mail - IMAP and 2GB storage. AOL has a bad rep these days, but they seem to do this service right.

Klaidas
October 20th, 2006, 02:35 PM
Best Free Webmail?
Gmail. <<Period

Ubuntist
October 20th, 2006, 02:57 PM
May I ask why? A big provider is more likely to stay in buisness so you don't have to change mail adress. I use yahoo and it works but I also have a gmail. Pm if you want invites.

The reason I was thinking of going with a lesser-known provider was that I've sometimes found it advantageous to have an e-mail address that's not immediately identifiable as a personal e-mail account. For example, one website I use requires an e-mail address but specifically states that it must be a work-related address, not a personal address. The website explicitly excludes yahoo, hotmail, etc., but it does not recognize a gmx address as being a personal address.

And thanks very much for offering me a g-mail address! That's very kind!

Ubuntist
October 20th, 2006, 02:58 PM
I've emailed you a GMail invite.

Thank you very much! You are a gentleman and a scholar.

deweese
October 20th, 2006, 04:46 PM
The reason I was thinking of going with a lesser-known provider was that I've sometimes found it advantageous to have an e-mail address that's not immediately identifiable as a personal e-mail account. For example, one website I use requires an e-mail address but specifically states that it must be a work-related address, not a personal address. The website explicitly excludes yahoo, hotmail, etc., but it does not recognize a gmx address as being a personal address.

And thanks very much for offering me a g-mail address! That's very kind!

You could try buickturbo.com They have free email. I have had an account for years. :-):mrgreen:

villindesign
October 20th, 2006, 04:49 PM
Maybe try Walla mail at http://www.walla.com/

skymt
October 20th, 2006, 05:33 PM
I use Inbox.com (http://www.inbox.com/) for the storage aspect (5 GB for free!), but they also seem to have very nice webmail.