PDA

View Full Version : Is Edgy Eft On Schedule?

unlokia
October 20th, 2006, 03:50 AM
Hi to all you Ubuntu-ites!

Just wanted to know... is Edgy Eft still scheduled to be released on 26th Oct?. Does anyone have ANY titbits of news to suggest anything to the contrary?.

Shay Stephens
October 20th, 2006, 03:57 AM
Everything looks to be going along to plan. In fact right now I am downloading the release candidate.

You can find the torrent here:
http://en.releases.ubuntu.com/6.10/

zenwhen
October 20th, 2006, 04:04 AM
I just installed it and can confirm that it is really close to being ready for prime-time and other than some keyring issues, it is far more polished than dapper in my opinion.

Kateikyoushi
October 20th, 2006, 04:09 AM
I use for a month on two machines and all of my issues were sorted out by last week.

unlokia
October 20th, 2006, 04:42 AM
Everything looks to be going along to plan. In fact right now I am downloading the release candidate.

@Shay Stephens...

Ahhh :D A RC at last!! I been working with daily build ISOS - now I can upgrade my Edgy for the umpteenth time lol.

How does RC compare to Knot3 dude??:confused:

maniacmusician
October 20th, 2006, 05:44 AM
could you point me in the right direction for a Kubuntu RC? thanks a bunch.

Tamil
October 20th, 2006, 05:52 AM
could you point me in the right direction for a Kubuntu RC? thanks a bunch. Kubuntu 6.10 (Edgy Eft) Release Candidate (http://en.releases.ubuntu.com/kubuntu/6.10/)

Shay Stephens
October 20th, 2006, 05:53 AM
kubuntu goodness can be had here:
http://en.releases.ubuntu.com/kubuntu/6.10/

Shay Stephens
October 20th, 2006, 05:56 AM
@Shay Stephens...

Ahhh :D A RC at last!! I been working with daily build ISOS - now I can upgrade my Edgy for the umpteenth time lol.

How does RC compare to Knot3 dude??:confused:

Since RC2 it has been working fine on my computer, so I can't really point to anything in particular that is better in the RC. As soon as it's finished doanloading, I am going to try it on the laptop, that is always my acid test. It's one of those cheap walmart windows jobbers. In dapper the video on boot up is shifted half over the screen.

maniacmusician
October 20th, 2006, 05:59 AM
kubuntu goodness can be had here:
http://en.releases.ubuntu.com/kubuntu/6.10/
thanks man. i figured it would be en.releases.kubuntu, didn't think it would be inside a folder called kubuntu. tricky tricky. ;).

unlokia
October 20th, 2006, 06:00 AM
Much in the way of coolness!! :D :D.

I'm going to download the RC later and install it tomorrow (Fri)

Regards.

Krakatos
October 20th, 2006, 06:01 AM
Heh, I think I'll wait directly for the stable release. After all it's only a week... no big deal

maniacmusician
October 20th, 2006, 06:10 AM
Heh, I think I'll wait directly for the stable release. After all it's only a week... no big deal
but it's cool if you have vmware :) it's always fun to do a spot check and see how it's going.

viper
October 20th, 2006, 08:29 AM
Just installed Ubuntu RC 1 on a spare box, it went in so smooth and looks very stable so far :)

pmj
October 20th, 2006, 08:44 AM
Sadly, Edgy still has issues with many Core 2 Duo motherboards. I think that it should be delayed until this is sorted out, but it doesn't seem like they have any intention of doing that.

Good thing Edgy is working for you. I hope I'm as lucky at the end of the month.

maniacmusician
October 20th, 2006, 08:48 AM
well, the thing is, the ubuntu release cycles are so short that something like that can span over many releases, so it's impractical to delay something when there will be a whole new version in 6 months. I'm sure it will be fixed long before the next LTS release, though. we'll have to worry about quad-core processors/supporting motherboards soon as well.

hope your problem gets fixed

pmj
October 20th, 2006, 09:03 AM
Sure, but what are everyone with incompatible hardware going to do? Switch to another distro and hope it's fixed in half a year? Short release cycles or not, I think this is pretty major.

I'm not sure if I'm affected or not. Maybe I'll get lucky, but the huge bug threads on launchpad makes me worry.

maniacmusician
October 20th, 2006, 09:06 AM
my point was, it's not as if this is not being worked on. And while the work is under progress, does it make sense to hold back all the other work that's going on? I don't think so...when the work is ready to be implemented, it will be. Why hold everything else back until it's ready?

pmj
October 20th, 2006, 09:16 AM
Sorry for not being more clear. My point is that if they delay Edgy, I can continue to use Ubuntu. If not, I have to find another distro and use that for 6 months, possibly driving me away from Ubuntu for good. I like Ubuntu, but I can't really use it if I can't install it, now can I?

v8YKxgHe
October 20th, 2006, 09:31 AM
Who says you have to upgrade to Edgy, pmj? If Dapper works for you and Edgy doesn't then just use Dapper, it will be supported for 5 years on the desktop.

But I hope what your saying about Core 2 Duo Mobo's doesn't happen with me - I've just brought a load of hardware to build up a Core 2 Duo system and plan on putting Edgy on it!

pmj
October 20th, 2006, 09:42 AM
Dapper doesn't work either. My "solution" to get Dapper running on this computer was to install it on a hard drive while it was in another computer, and then use a controller card to get it detected in my new computer. The controller card seems to not work very well with my motherboard and/or Ubuntu, and only one hard drive is detected, and not my DVD burner or anything else, so it's a poor solution and I certainly won't run Edgy like this. Either the problems are solved before release or I'm switching. I really don't have a choice.

v8YKxgHe
October 20th, 2006, 09:44 AM
Oh I see, I thought you ment Dapper works but Edgy doesn't - that sucks =\ maybe try Fedora Core 6?

pmj
October 20th, 2006, 09:49 AM
I'm still hoping the final release will work on my hardware. And if not, I'm not going to use either Gentoo or anything RPM based. :)

maniacmusician
October 20th, 2006, 10:12 AM
heh, i dont think they're still really adding anything to edgy.:-/ sorry. but there's a world of distros out there. what's the latest version of edgy that you've tried?

pmj
October 20th, 2006, 10:20 AM
A daily from about a week ago. Some users on launchpad claim success with later versions, but many say it still doesn't work.

Shay Stephens
October 20th, 2006, 08:16 PM
I loaded edgy on my lousy laptop and am happy to report the screen works fine now! The broadcom card still doesn't, but I have a wireless pc card to get around that. So all in all, I am very pleased with the work in edgy.

chaosgeisterchen
October 20th, 2006, 09:09 PM
Hmh, they released RC1 today, so it seems as if they are fully on schedule. At least I hope so to use my october traffic volume for the necessary updates.