PDA

View Full Version : Linux Hardware Advocacy

Tux Aubrey
October 20th, 2006, 01:24 AM
I find that I have become an accidental Linux activist after several fruitless searches of OEM sites for linux drivers. Each time I find a lack of support, I now leave a comment about how disappointed I am that I will have to find new equipment that supports open source or a vendor that has its own Linux drivers. I did this most recently with D-Link and few others.

I was wondering whether other Ubuntu users do this and whether anyone has views about whether or not its worthwhile. I figure if they get enough messages some of them may at least think about support.

Maybe the converse should also apply - sending messages of support to manufacturers that do support Linux.

Any views?

maniacmusician
October 20th, 2006, 01:33 AM
I think it's pretty hopeless. I guess i'm a bit of a pessimist in this regard. I mean if they get a flood of messages from linux users, they'll be a bit miffed, but I guess they would get the point. Or they would just assume that a group of linux users were going around bombarding hardware companies with emails like that. I'm sure it's done by linux activist groups before.

It's just not in their best interest to do it. I really cant think of how to get them to do it, either. I know google is an open-source advocate, but their commercial interests prevent them from doing it actively. Same with IBM. our school is actually working on a projet with IBM...actually all the schools in our state our. It's a competition sort of thing. We get together at IBM HQ in southbury, and we get a theme such as "How to make the world better in regards to.....?" the elipses part is different every year. One year, it was how to make the world better for blind people, or elderly people, etc.

And each of the schools come up with (design) a product, and then build a business model around it. They come up with an economic plan, make a website, even a commercial. It's quite a storm. One of the chief people at IBM Research, Albert Schneider, is involved with this project, and working with the schools. He's the Director of IT, and sounds like he's he's quite interested about open source as well. I'm excited to get a chance to talk to him next time we head over there.

wow I went off on a tangent...sorry.

deepwave
October 20th, 2006, 01:36 AM
I vote for my vendors with my money.

So before I buy hardware/systems, I see which hardware works well under Linux. If it works, I'll buy it. If not then I do business with someone else. That is why I buy nVidia and not ATI. And when someone asks me what hardware is Linux supported, thats when I do my little advocacy-rant.

3rdalbum
October 20th, 2006, 04:05 AM
I've sent letters to companies whose products work on Linux but they don't publicise it. I've also sent letters to companies whose products DON'T work, requesting that they build a driver or release specifications.

I've had two replies on the former. None for hardware on the latter. I did once write to a game manufacturer, asking if they knew of a way to get the particular game working on WINE; they just said that I should work with the WINE developers.

If you would like a template for the "your hardware works with Linux", visit this wiki page: https://wiki.ubuntu.com/TellThemAboutIt

DoctorMO
October 20th, 2006, 05:50 AM
I don't count nVidia as supported. propritory drivers don't count in my book.

I send emails all the time to hardware makers, I have people that work for various companies and they make internal memos too.

Shay Stephens
October 20th, 2006, 06:04 AM
I write. At first it was to companies whose hardware I had from Windows. And now, I support vendors that support Linux. I will write to anyone using their official channels. If they get enough feedback, many will do something about it. But it has to be through the official channels for it to have a chance of working.

TuxCrafter
October 20th, 2006, 04:13 PM
Does someone have a official list with all the hardware that works with linux :-D

maniacmusician
October 20th, 2006, 04:47 PM
that question gets asked a lot. it's being worked on pretty extensively.

I'm helping right now with a project that attempts to do the same thing. I think the site is functional enough for this kind of use, so I'll point you to it: http://dohickey.sourceforge.net You want the The Dohickey Client site. The project still isn't complete, but we're getting there. edit: You can also click on The Dream from the front page to learn about dohickey. Please be aware that the search function is disabled until we get the database up and running

Opera and Konq users...sorry that footer looks retarded. working on a solution for that tonight. Other than that, hope you like the site, was a lot of work :) compared to our old one (in my sig) i think its an improvement.

uh oh did i hijack this thread? it's sort of the same topic...

ade234uk
October 20th, 2006, 04:56 PM
Sometimes you feel as though you are banging your head against a brick wall with these companies.

I think every single Linux user should have a standard email that they send out to these companies.

The email contains their ip address and country and goes along the lines of something like

Dear {Company},

You do not supply any linux drivers with your product
therefore I shall not be buying {product_name } from you on this occasion. Please create Linux Drivers & Software for your products and I will buy from you in the future.

Thank you
{name}

I know the above sounds stupid. Why is there not a site where you can select the company you want to email and send out a standard email like above with the product name.

If every single Linux user complained they may finally just start getting the message and see that there is money to be made. They only understand £££££ $$$$$

aysiu
October 20th, 2006, 05:00 PM
Don't forget the email should include, "Instead I will be purchasing ___________ from your competitor _________"

ade234uk
October 20th, 2006, 05:05 PM
"Instead I will be purchasing ___________ from your competitor _________"is the icing on the cake. Good idea.

You know the above idea has got me thinking. I dont know of any website that does the above, I think someone shou;d create one that does just this.

Linux has everything we need apart from the support of major manufacturers. This is all that is missing.

The only compnay that has learnt a lesson is ATI. Lets hope more follow.

--------------------------------------------------------------
Dear {Company},

You do not supply any linux drivers or software with your product
therefore I shall not be purchasing {product_name } from you on this occasion. Instead I will be purchasing ___________ from your competitor _________

There are now {x} Linux users worldwide.

Many Thanks
{Name} - {Country} - {IP Address}

maniacmusician
October 20th, 2006, 05:14 PM
cool, it's good to see people are taking some intiative in this. Now if you were to get together and set up a centralized way for people to learn about this, or even help them do it....ideas, ideas.

ade234uk
October 20th, 2006, 05:17 PM
No one wants to step up to the plate. I know if there was a site just like this I would damn well make sure I visited it and got my point across. People power does win over in the end. We are potential customers and potential customers = money.

Companies dont know when a Linux user purchases a product that works. So therefore they need to know this as well. Once they know people buy their products becuase it works then they improve their products.

maniacmusician
October 20th, 2006, 05:22 PM
I would volunteer to help and "step up" but i'm only human! it's horrible the amount of things i've committed myself to doing. I'm doing web design and then some for Dohickey, spearheading the Ambassador's project, trying to handle the hassleful college admissions process, and doing schoolwork at the same time. I've also committed the beginning of next year to help with Ubuntu Studio and Traverso. so really, i'm overloaded.

We have plenty of great people here; ask for someone to step up, and hopefully you'll get someone. start your own initiative. its a lot of work, but its worth it.

ade234uk
October 20th, 2006, 05:25 PM
Im going to look in to this. Thanks for your encouragment.

maniacmusician
October 20th, 2006, 05:26 PM
good for you, man. hope it goes well. my pleasure to get you motivated.

argie
October 20th, 2006, 05:37 PM
"Instead I will be purchasing ___________ from your competitor _________"is the icing on the cake. Good idea.

You know the above idea has got me thinking. I dont know of any website that does the above, I think someone shou;d create one that does just this.

Linux has everything we need apart from the support of major manufacturers. This is all that is missing.

The only compnay that has learnt a lesson is ATI. Lets hope more follow.

--------------------------------------------------------------
Dear {Company},

You do not supply any linux drivers or software with your product
therefore I shall not be purchasing {product_name } from you on this occasion. Instead I will be purchasing ___________ from your competitor _________

There are now {x} Linux users worldwide.

Many Thanks
{Name} - {Country} - {IP Address}
As much as I like the idea, I have this hatred for all "standard format" emails. Guess that's just me. I also think that if I were to read "4,000,000 linux users worldwide" I'd think, "Oh god, this is one of those advocacy groups" which is not nice, since it seems like a single group of people is trying to represent a lot of customers.

I like the idea, and I'll remember to supply most of the information in that little generic email when I send one to Via to complain to them.

Also, I really don't mind closed source drivers, if they support Linux. I will go with nVidia, when I have a chance.

ade234uk
October 20th, 2006, 05:40 PM
It does not have to be standard emails, I can see where you are coming from. You can send your own if you wish. I dont care if its closed source either as long is it bloody works my hardware.