PDA

View Full Version : poll: why google should team with canonical- agree? disagree? rubbish?

jetpeach
October 19th, 2006, 11:50 PM
I read somewhere lately that canonical has 68 employees. It's amazing, just 68 paid employees and volunteers have turned debian and OSS into a great desktop user-friendly operating system. I can praise ubuntu forever, but i'll get to the point.

Ubuntu still has a long way to go, and they need more developers: driver support, the growing list of bugs on launchpad that the developers can't keep up with, and the fact their simply aren't enough Ubuntu developers to do that much upstread package maintenance. And, I still can't find any computers at Fry's/CompUSA/BestBuy with Ubuntu pre-installed. Yes, System76.com is great (and i give them my praise) but let's face it, they aren't as good a deal as the laptops listed in the Sunday ads, or even the ones you can find on Dell.com. So when do the big guys start shipping ubuntu preinstalled? When do these issues get addressed?

When google gets involved.

Imagine this: 1000 developers working on Ubuntu and cheaper laptops from big name vendors with Ubuntu preinstalled than for the Windows ones (w/hardware equivalence). The extra developers now produce an even more stable/user-friendly distro, but also not only work on packaging the distro but do more upstream patching and development, working more closely with KDE/Gnome and all the package maintainers. Widespread adoption finally happens because people easily see the price/performance benefit to linux since the computers are just better deals. Of course, with wider adoption, third party software becomes more abundant...you get the picture.

Why/how does this happen?

First the how: as I've said Google is the company. They just spent 1.6 billion on youtube-that's enough to hire 1000 developers at 100k a pop for 16 years! They can afford it. If Google teamed with Canonical, all the vendors would know that even if Mark tires of funding the project Ubuntu isn't going anywhere, so they're more likely to preinstall. Additionally, they benefit anyway since they no longer pay the Microsoft tax for every computer they sell. And Google's marketing team pressures them into as well. Driver support gets better, because Google is so successful at everything they do today that if they engage in an OS project, hardware makers know they should support it, and if they want to have their hardware installed on any of the machines selling with Ubuntu preinstalled, they need to support it. I'd guess within 1-2 years of having 1000 developers on Ubuntu they could be ready to ship prepackaged on PCs/laptops. and people would eat it up, because money talks.

Now the WHY: what does Google get from it? First, if successful, even partially, they get something they need: an even playing field with Microsoft. As long as MS dominates the operating system, Google will have to fight an uphill battle (MS can subsidize it's web programs with it's other profits and can "bundle" services into the OS). Sure, Google does fine, even great today. But at some point MS will get it together, they'll start hammering away on web services, bundling everything under the sun to lock Outlook/Office users into their email/calendar and other online services. And the users will get stuck. So Google needs this, otherwise someday they slip and when they do MS kicks them when they're down.
Second, Google can afford it, maybe it costs them $100 million a year for 1000 developers-their last 3 months of profit was $722 million. Heck, maybe they should do 2000 developers to make sure it works. It's important security they need to protecting themselves from the incessant bundling/integration MS will do in the future.
Third, Google benefits because they do exactly what MS wants to: Gmail, Google Calendar, Picasa, and everything else under the sun integrates seamlessly into Ubuntu. Most people would love it, not even needing to think about how to integrate their desktop calendar with their browser-based calendar, and when not using your computer your calendar is already synced. Of course, many people will cry about this idea-it's blasphemy to the open-source community to do such a thing. But I think we all know that [most of?] Google's services are fantastic, and part of the deal can include compromises to ensure Google can't monopolize. By a deal, it would be something like requiring an unbundled/customizable version of Ubuntu would always be made available to competitors and all bundling would be optional (and I don't mean like you can uninstall IE optional because you can't)... Any default packaging would enrage many, but some or even most might be appeased by working out a deal, if they recognize the importance of Google's support. Even if many were upset, if a compromise could be worked out it would benefit everyone, Google, us and the developers. Everyone except MS that is. Finally, Microsoft will/is doing this, and people are going to actually _like_ it, not needing to worry about syncing their calendar or mail etc. Unless Canonical is going to start providing web services as well as an OS, linux users will find themselves stuck again in 10 years when desktop/web application integration is further along than it is today.

Microsoft is at a weak-point right now, and they're vulnerable to real competition. But every day that goes by they're scheming to use their vendor lock-in to eliminate this competition. For myself, one of the biggest reasons I can even use Ubuntu 90% of the time (still have to go to windows for _insertProgramName_) is because of Google's services, Gmail and Calendar making me totally operating system independent. So if/when MS gets it together and produces equivalent web services, then integrates/bundles them with their desktop apps, we'll be back to where we started 5 years ago, when I couldn't run linux because practically everything pushed me back onto Windows.

I'll turn this into a poll to see how many people agree with these thoughts, post your comments please I'm curious about flaws/mistakes in my logic here. Or maybe this is just rubbish, since nobody believes Google will do it (I actually think they could.)
jet
10/21 EDIT: brief discussion SUMMARY:
Thanks for the feedback, below are a few quotes of the counter-arguments against the idea or statements about why it won't happen.
TiredBird wrote:

I have to disagree!
As much as the next person I want to see an Ubuntu that comes pre-installed, or easily installable. I want to see things that work the way you expect them to work. But I'm not willing to give up my freedom to get that and to me, that's what a sell-out to Google or anyone like them entails.
maniacmusician wrote:
basically the only advantages to doing this would be google's amazing funding and their efficient coding teams. I also think that their commercial agenda and other quirks would hinder the development of ubuntu. If we stick by ourselves, we'll still get far, just not as fast. like feisty fawn for example. the ideas for it are looking great.
deepred wrote:
If Google were interested in the scenario you describe (i.e. teaming up with Ubuntu to take on MS) they would have developed their own distro, probably even better than Ubuntu. They've got the cash.
There is naturally a lot more feedback, but I think these generally summarize the counter-arguments: 1) loss of freedom is not worth the gain; 2) we can do it without large corporate support so no need and 3) Google has other plans or isn't interested in the OS market and it's success is not dependent on the OS market (look at their earnings report last week!).

My reply on the next page addresses some of, but here are a few more thoughts on these issues.
On 1), the GPL protects us very well, minimizing this issue (although someone mentions the GPL is also why Google would not get involved at all, I'll save that for #3). I am also willing to sacrifice some freedom in order to accomplish widespread adoption of Linux. Will Google be the "next Microsoft"? No, it simply can't be if the source code for any OS they're developing is freely available.
With respect to 2), how much desktop market share does Linux now have? Yes, Ubuntu is, IMHO, the best yet, but even the hype behind Ubuntu is slowing - Suse is not far behind it now on Distrowatch's popularity contest and Dapper didn't turn out to be a windows killer. And now it's Feisty that is going to convert the masses. I've believed it before, but as I see Microsoft's engines rev up I feel the window of opportunity we have right now could close within several years as they win back web market share and integrate their desktop software. The only way to really capitalize on the opportunity we have now is to get Ubuntu preinstalled on laptops that cost less.
On issue 3), people's comments are quite convincing that Google wouldn't engage in an OS, or if they did, they would built it from scratch. But I'm not convinced that all this is innocuous banter, because even if it isn't Google, it could be Oracle or any other corporate pig that might be our opportunity to bring Ubuntu to the mainstream. There is also still hope for Google, and I haven't seen anything convincing me otherwise that the crux of my argument (that Google needs a non-MS OS to have a majority market share in order to compete effectively in the future against MS) is false. They simply can't assume that MS will always be mismanaged and... One additional benefit for Google of not doing it alone, is if Mark endorsed the Google-cooperation, I think many of the FOSS developers and Ubuntu-base might be happy with the deal. Of course, there would have to be a lot of details hammered out, but Google could gain the communities trust by doing it through Ubuntu. Perhaps not the strongest argument, but Google does sponsor numerous activities in the interest of keeping the publics support (Summer of Code, a largely solar powered campus etc...).

A link here is posted on Digg (http://digg.com/linux_unix/Making_Ubuntu_Big_Time_Why_Google_needs_to_team_wi th_Canonical), Digg it if you've found this discussion interesting!

Thanks for the feedback!
jet

TheRingmaster
October 20th, 2006, 12:58 AM
how do you have the energy to type so much??

jpkotta
October 20th, 2006, 01:06 AM
It seems to me like the whole problem of mainstreaming Linux is extremely complex. It will not be fixed by just assloads of developers polishing it, or by just giant OEMs offering it preloaded, or a government installing it in all of its offices, or hardware vendors offering drivers. It is a gradual thing, and there is so much inertia that it will take years or decades. Something like this would certainly help, but it won't suddenly thrust Linux into the mainstream, and I don't think it would help that much. Linux will creep in, just like it is now and always has been doing.

maniacmusician
October 20th, 2006, 01:25 AM
it's a good idea; but that's all it is, sorry. Google definitely does have the funding abilities, but they wouldn't be interested financially. Firstly, they would be sharing the project with canonical...I don't think they'd like that. They could try and buy canonical, but I doubt mark would sell it away. And Canonical comprises of much more than just Ubuntu, though that is their most major product.

Also, google would be too keen to use Ubuntu as an advertising channel, which would probably not turn out very well. We need a parent company with the full and pure intentions of pushing the philosophy of freedom and open source.

What google COULD do is pay off hardware companies to create an opportunity for linux to succeed (through the creation of drivers), but that's pretty out there. More likely to happen in a dream.

Don't get me wrong, I love Google; they're great. I just don't really think they're the right people for this. If they would ever agree to become sponsors of ubuntu, in a situation where Canonical still holds the cards, great. But I don't think they'd be open to that idea.

deepwave
October 20th, 2006, 01:27 AM
I agree with jpkotta, Linux becoming mainstream is more complex issue, then just throwing more developers or having Google sponsor Canonical.

And saying the Microsoft is in a bad spot is... well.. funny... We are talking about one of the most robust, dynamic and powerful software companies in the world. Take one look at all the different markets where they are doing very well. It has a unique position of the only company that delivers solution products and platforms to both the mass market and the corporate markets. Without getting into a huge, complex discussion; lets leave Microsoft's demise out of the picture for now.

I think the "problem" with Linux is more about adoption by users then anything else. Linux was always a grassroots movement and that is were its greatest strength is. The biggest issues right now are:
- user friendliness
- PDA/smartphone integration
- iPod + iTunes
- games
- ignorance

The best way to help Canonical (and the Linux in general) is get involved with an open source project and convincing/helping folks to try out Ubuntu.

TiredBird
October 20th, 2006, 01:29 AM
I think your concept is right but I have problems with Google:

(1) I used Gmail for a while, but then abandoned it because Google didn't seem to have any interest in fixing things that were important to me;

(2) I've used Picasa on XP and on Ubuntu and my problem on both systems was the same - Google installed things they didn't ask me about, they made it difficult to find those things they had installed and then made it nearly impossible to uninstall them - in fact, I think some parts of it are still on both systems; and

(3) Ditto to their map service. It doesn't seem to work unless you open several doors to them.

In short, my problem in general with Google is the same problem I have with Microsoft and most of the ******* vendors - they presume I don't know anything about computing and they take over my computer in their misguided attempt to make it easy for me. Then they don't tell me what they've done, it appears they try to hide things from me and they make it very difficult to get rid of them if I decide I don't want them.

What makes Ubuntu and its derivatives so special to me is that for the first time in years I feel I am back in control again. I don't want to give up my control to Google. No, please keep them out of my life.

jsmidt
October 20th, 2006, 02:33 AM
I would love to see Ubuntu get support from somebody as big as Google.

NoTiG
October 20th, 2006, 02:48 AM
Well, in a way google does team with ubuntu... through summer of code. I guess you want them to allocate more resources to it?

BWF89
October 20th, 2006, 02:49 AM
If Google was going to support a Linux distribution I'd rather it be an American made distro. Not a foreign one.

kvonb
October 20th, 2006, 03:22 AM
I agree with TiredBird, I don't want an American corporation stealing my personal information and installing whatever spyware they want.

If I wanted that I would have stuck with Microsoft Windows.

One of the big draws of Ubuntu (for me) is that it is NOT an American made distribution which means no US government spying and no built in - "you're not allowed to install -insert app/codec here- because it is illegal in the US or owned by XX corporation and you must pay royalties" rubbish.

It's called freedom, let's not give it away.

hkgonra
October 20th, 2006, 03:28 AM
I feel that in the next 5 years Google was be all the things that people hate about Microsoft so why give ubuntu to that ?

There is a video out but I am having trouble finding it.

BWF89
October 20th, 2006, 03:30 AM
One of the big draws of Ubuntu (for me) is that it is NOT an American made distribution which means no US government spying and no built in - "you're not allowed to install -insert app/codec here- because it is illegal in the US or owned by XX corporation and you must pay royalties" rubbish.
Just becuse a distro is made in America doens't mean it has any connection with the government. No distro is going to come with XX codecs out of the box or in the main repos. They all make you install 3rd party repos inorder to get them for legal reasons.

jetpeach
October 20th, 2006, 04:21 AM
Interesting feedback, I see some good points. In response to a few:

Basically I see Google Summer of Code as a good starting step, but I mean much more involved- major finacial backing of Ubuntu and Google's direct involvement in negotiations, such that Google could get the distro preinstalled with the big vendors.

And saying the Microsoft is in a bad spot is... well.. funny... We are talking about one of the most robust, dynamic and powerful software companies in the world.
Agreed. I didn't mean they're in a bad spot, in fact almost the opposite. I mean that there is an opportunity now, but it may be brief. That's also why I am doubtful of the idea, "linux is growing like it always has." Microsoft's share of the desktop market is probably the largest it's been in over 10 years, and their server share is growing. I see an opportunity now, but it needs to happen fast or we may very well end up crushed again and vendor locked-in.

I agree with jpkotta, Linux becoming mainstream is more complex issue, then just throwing more developers or having Google sponsor Canonical.
tell me really, How complex is the widespread adoption of linux?
I think it _is_ as simple as offering a polished OS with excellent features preinstalled on widely available machines for less. When that happens, GNU/Linux _will_ be widely adopted. There isn't anything complex about it.

I feel that in the next 5 years Google was be all the things that people hate about Microsoft so why give ubuntu to that ?
I think the emphasis on why it would be worth it is all about the GPL - we would not be trading MS for Google at all. As long as the software is GPLed, then we are largely protected from lock-in because it's easy enough to see and change the software. If people don't like Google for whatever reason, they can tweak the programs and use somebody different or no web interfacing at all. Sure, Google gets the head start of customizing the version preinstalled, but that alone isn't vendor lock-in, especially if the source is available. Afterall, we aren't running windows and we've had to deal with a lot more than anybody wanting to change from a generally GPLed OS to another (with more similar drivers) would have to. How much non-GPLed software, if any, allowed would need to be debated. Also, what _realy_ makes Canonical that different from Google? They don't make tons of money right now? Is that it? Well, if they are successful, they will make money, and like every other company they will try to make more. Yes, Mark is a great guy but Launchpad/Rosetta are not open-source, and they have thought about a business plan for Ubuntu as well. No company is benevolent forever, it's the GPL that really protects us.

I guess a lot of you say it's rubbish, and maybe it is if Google wouldn't consider. But I wonder though, Google risks a lot by _not_ taking an OS under it's wing, they're risking getting squashed by MS's bundling. Is it possible for a large coorporation to not be evil? I think so, because their best interest is also ours.

archer75
October 21st, 2006, 04:50 AM
I don't have anything against Microsoft at all.

I go with what works best and I don't care who that is.

The issue with linux isn't the operating system. It's lack of software and hardware vendor support. If I can get the same level of functionality in Linux that I do from my windows apps(without having to use Wine) then i'm a happy camper. But I have never gotten all of my hardware working 100% in any linux distro and always had to use workarounds on the software side just to get similar functionality.

fuscia
October 21st, 2006, 05:06 AM
I feel that in the next 5 years Google will be all the things that people hate about Microsoft so why give ubuntu to that ?

that's about the same feeling i have.

There is a video out but I am having trouble finding it.

i bet yahoo would be delighted to help you find it.

akurashy
October 21st, 2006, 05:12 AM
I don't feel like having another microsoft, yes pointed to Google which seems to be controlling most of the general public, and now with that they acquaired youtube i have a bad vibe about it.

The reason i say this is because google is starting to creep me out with all their super holy development to the public, and their goal
Google's mission is to organize the world's information and make it universally accessible and useful

i don't think i want google teaming up with ubuntu.. actually nevermind they can.. but everytime i think about it, it just doesn't feels right, plus why would google work with ubuntu? i mean i see it very distant, not to mention that they haven't shown any interest whatsoever in working to improve it. of course this is pretty insightful

like archer75 i don't have anything against microsoft, also is not like all hardwares can be supported 100% so bleh

jhaitas
October 21st, 2006, 05:17 AM
rubbish... horrible idea for ubuntu... google has nothing to offer it but money... they're both doing a great job on their own - if it ain't broke don't fix it

hscottyh
October 21st, 2006, 05:43 AM
If Google threw that much money at it, they wouldn't need ubuntu. They could just start with debian.

I really like Google right now, but picasa and google earth aren't gpl'd. So why would you think the value added software they would provide would be. Proprietary software would creep in imho. We don't need that.

We just had a unique situation at my company the other day with vnc. We had the source code, a few hours later we had a solution. Why, because we had the source code. We didn't need to call anyone. We didn't need to wait for someone to make the change for us. We were in control and I like being in control.

I love the fact that Google sponsers such things as summer of code. If they take that sort of thing to a higher level, that would be wonderful.

scooper71
October 21st, 2006, 06:16 AM
I think the biggest obstacle with a Google type corporation backing Ubuntu is the GPL. Yes it protects us but that is going to be a cost to any corporation with deep pockets. Because of the GPL we have issues getting driver support/source from the hardware vendors so we have to reverse engineer them. What small/moderate hardware vendor is going to feel warm and fuzzy inside releasing their source code to a company like Google that must tag it with the GPL to release it with a new Ubuntu distro. The hardware support is a central issue separating the Linux user from the Windows user. If the hardware vendors didn't mind releasing their drivers under the GPL then this would be a non-factor but that is not the case. Google's $$$ would do more to frighten the vendors. Sure their financial worth and growing market share make them a threat to Microsoft but Google has a huge uphill battle that Ubuntu wouldn't solve. Throwing 1000 developers or more at the distro would be great for the integration of Google's products into it but all the same propriatary driver issues and their obvious concern with the releasing of the source code under the GPL does not go away.

Google is not the answer. They may be able to get a Linux distro pre-installed on an HP at BestBuy with their influence, but why would they even be pursuing this option? Converting from an OS where so much is done for you, where all you had to do was click install and auto-run took care of everything else, is a learning curve that most Windows users aren't ready for. Linux has come a long way and Ubuntu especially has closed the gap for the Windows users, however most of them are already in their comfort zone and the vast majority of corporations are running Windows.

What we need is driver support, even if it's limited to a handful of companies. :-k

burtonbe
October 21st, 2006, 06:38 AM
The only way I see Google getting involved with Ubuntu in a major way is if they decide to start selling computers (ala Dell, HP, etc).

I can see it now... your brand new GooglePC just arrived via delivery. You plug it in and turn it on. Ubuntu starts up, and you log in. Ah, it looks like Evolution is not installed; instead the default mail client is GMail. The homepage in FireFox is Google (not to mention the google toolbar). OpenOffice is nowhere to be found, when you click on the word processor, it brings up Google Docs and Spreadsheets. Picasa is installed as the default picture manager. Google powers the desktop search. Google everywhere.

By making all the defaults point to Google's services, it would be a great way for them to get more people using their products (that's one reason why Microsoft's products are so popular). This is the only way I see Google getting heavily involved in Ubuntu--by creating a heavily Google-branded version of Ubuntu that get's people hooked on their products. The more people that use their services, the more money they make. They could even make a buck or two on the hardware sales, who knows.

Nevertheless, the chances of Google getting into the hardware business is, IMO, very slim. Yet, if they did, I might just be tempted to buy one.

FunnyLookinHat
October 21st, 2006, 07:01 AM
You guys are aware that Google actually has a customized version of ubuntu that they distribute through their offices and whatnot for people to use... right?

This isn't really an extreme idea considering Google is more than likely working on creating a free OS and why not base it off Linux... heck, why not ubuntu. They need a free OS to distribute that will tie in all of their free online services. it just makes sense.

KhaaL
October 21st, 2006, 07:39 AM
If Google was going to support a Linux distribution I'd rather it be an American made distro. Not a foreign one.

I really hope you meant that as a joke :o

james99
October 21st, 2006, 08:05 AM
Yeah, me to.

gvsrinivasan
October 21st, 2006, 08:37 AM
if your idea is going to come alive .then i will be the first person to hail you as a visionary person and be there to wish u for your words and buy google os with a tier-1 manufacture like hp,dell,leneovo

Who
October 21st, 2006, 11:45 AM
I think your poll answers leave something to be desired! It odes rather polarise opinion - you should really have a few more moderate options - for example grouping _everyone_ who broadly agrees with pushing Ubuntu further into the 'yes - a bit like what you said' category is never going to get you accurate indications of what people want...

As for the idea - I think Google are more like to patronise Linux in a similar way to the way they are helping Firefox - they could've taken over/helped that out ages ago and it would have really helped them out!

rowanparker
October 21st, 2006, 02:12 PM
Don't forget that we are your daddy :D

Tomosaur
October 21st, 2006, 02:15 PM
I don't think Google should get involved with Ubuntu for the simple reason that I don't particularly trust Google as it is.

2039 anyone?

chaosgeisterchen
October 21st, 2006, 02:19 PM
I wish I had 10 billion euro ;)

I would follow your request and would give some thousand developers a job in order to fight bug #1.

And I also want a Linux Notebook showing the full capacities of this awesome system.

hkgonra
October 21st, 2006, 02:41 PM
Don't forget that we are your daddy :D

You know normally I would have a snappy comeback but there is not way I am going to say anything cross to a man that has Slash for his avatar. :mrgreen:

deepred
October 21st, 2006, 04:16 PM
If Google were interested in the scenario you describe (i.e. teaming up with Ubuntu to take on MS) they would have developed their own distro, probably even better than Ubuntu. They've got the cash.

mgould
October 21st, 2006, 04:28 PM
Disclaimer: I am an Ubuntu/Linux Noob that needs more stick time, but I think the Ubuntu concept rocks!

Right. I think that the number one concern I have with Canonical binding with Google is that the Ubuntu vision might be compromised by Google (or any other major sponsor's) interests where they conflict with Canonical's. I also think that throwing a ton more programmers at "the problem" might weaken the effectiveness of Ubuntu, incomplete as it may be.

What this noob wants to know (with absolutely no sarcasm/cynicism) from the OS/GPL veterans here is that do you think that with a kilo of experienced programmers that ubuntu will progress faster and better with a major sponsor while preserving Shuttleworth's vision?

Many kind thanks!

Steveire
October 21st, 2006, 04:46 PM
We just had a unique situation at my company the other day with vnc. We had the source code, a few hours later we had a solution. Why, because we had the source code. We didn't need to call anyone. We didn't need to wait for someone to make the change for us. We were in control and I like being in control.

I was looking for the patch that you submitted back to the devs, but I can't seem to find it. Could you link me?

rowanparker
October 21st, 2006, 05:02 PM
You know normally I would have a snappy comeback but there is not way I am going to say anything cross to a man that has Slash for his avatar. :mrgreen:
Hehehe, yeah, he is amazing :D

hscottyh
October 21st, 2006, 06:12 PM
I was looking for the patch that you submitted back to the devs, but I can't seem to find it. Could you link me?

We have not submitted it yet. I guess we should do that soon! I don't think they would want it though. It wasn't a bug but a small feature that took a only few lines of code and would would be a very big security risk if you used it on a public network.

Ocxic
October 21st, 2006, 07:04 PM
so long as the source code stays available, and the lisinces stay as it is now, the I think it would tha a great move.

TiredBird
October 21st, 2006, 09:53 PM
I have to disagree!

As much as the next person I want to see an Ubuntu that comes pre-installed, or easily installable. I want to see things that work the way you expect them to work. But I'm not willing to give up my freedom to get that and to me, that's what a sell-out to Google or anyone like them entails.

I have spent hours trying to make XP systems work without all the bloat that goes with their pre-installations. I have a Toshiba laptop and although XP was pre-installed I don't even have a copy of the install disk. If I want to re-install I have to use their rescue disk and re-install the whole partition. Forget customization, they don't give you a chance for any of that. And my other four partitions that I've spent so much time on - bye bye!

And why would Google be any different? I've used Gmail, Picassa and their maps and I see them as being just like the rest of the Microsoft dominated personal computer industry. It's their way or the highway - so much for freedom of choice!

No thanks! I'd rather put up with Ubuntu's shortcomings, (which are becoming less and less), and still have enpowerment instead of enslavement.

maniacmusician
October 21st, 2006, 11:33 PM
i'll reiterate my opinions, just for fun.

basically the only advantages to doing this would be google's amazing funding and their efficient coding teams. I also think that their commercial agenda and other quirks would hinder the development of ubuntu. If we stick by ourselves, we'll still get far, just not as fast. like feisty fawn for example. the ideas for it are looking great.

ps. My number one favorite thing about the release cycles: every 6 months, people start proclaiming that the next ubuntu release will be the big "windows killer". For example, people have been saying that for ages about edgy, but just the other day in the feisty fawn thread, i saw people starting to proclaim that while edgy was great in performance, Feisty would be the real edgy killer because of it's focus on art and eye candy. It just amuses me. Always happens, it's the most dependable reaction.

Deacon Nikolai
October 22nd, 2006, 03:21 AM
We do not need Google trying to make a Monopoly of one distro in the Linux world .](*,) Especially if Ubuntu forks to IceWeasel & IceDove instead of using Mozilla's FireFox and ThunderBird.

http://nstanosheck.wordpress.com

userid
October 23rd, 2006, 04:13 PM
I agree with TiredBird, I don't want an American corporation stealing my personal information and installing whatever spyware they want.

If I wanted that I would have stuck with Microsoft Windows.

It's called freedom, let's not give it away.

I agree - google is a dirty, big corporation. they use linux on all their servers and employ some linux kernel maintainers full-time which does contribute to the effort. But I would not want the whole distribution to go to bed with them. they would certainly want some marketing returns..

argie
October 23rd, 2006, 04:50 PM
Agreed. Frankly, I don't want a search company to make my OS. No Big Brother watching me, no thanks.

Shay Stephens
October 23rd, 2006, 05:14 PM
I am trusting google less and less these days. I don't want them to assimilate everything. Once they reach a critical mass, poof, Microsoft II is reborn. The purchahse of youtube was a bad move in my eyes. They will have to prove themselves here before I trust them further.

If they bought Ubuntu, that would be the day I formatted my computer and started fresh with something else.

mips
October 23rd, 2006, 05:33 PM

Would make things harder though. The US has so many restrictive laws it could hamper things. It would need DRM and other types of crap. Strong encryption etc would be forbidden for export etc...

qkmbr22
October 24th, 2006, 02:59 AM
I really like Google and its services. I recently started using their docs & spreadsheets service (formerly known as writely, i think). Its very useful because i often work on the computers at my school, and i dont have to worry about saving the work on my flash drive or emailing it to myself. At home though, I prefer to use Abiword, rather than just typing inside my web browser. So I thought that it would be great, if I could open up Abiword (or another word processor) and it would automatically let me access all my work on Google docs and automatically save a copy of all my work on Google. If Google had their own OS they could easily integrate all their internet services with it. The user could enter their Google/gmail account information into their user info and that information could be used by many applications automatically.

Eventually, it would be great if virtually all of your documents (including music, photos, movies) could be automatically synced to your Google account. That way you can always access everything from any computer. Now of course, it would take up lots of space and bandwidth (especially music and movies), so it probably won't work to this extent, but the idea sounds good.

I think the integration of google's online services into their own OS would be a breakthrough in the user-friendliness and productivity of linux. But I don't necessarily think that Google should team up with canonical and make Ubuntu. They can make their own distro based on and fully compatible with Ubuntu. Open source makes it easy for them to do. This way you can't argue that commercial interests will slow down the progress of the open source operating system, because both the original Ubuntu and Google's own OS would be available.

Google can make linux more appealing to users who are now afraid to use it. It would be great if they made it so that the users wouldn't have to download and install a whole bunch of codecs in order to play their music and watch DVDs. Everything should work out of the box. Distros that are fully open-source cannot do that, but I think Google has the resources to accomplish this task.

Shay Stephens
October 24th, 2006, 05:29 AM
I really like Google and its services. I recently started using their docs & spreadsheets service (formerly known as writely, i think). Its very useful because i often work on the computers at my school, and i dont have to worry about saving the work on my flash drive or emailing it to myself...

I have a problem with giving google access to all my documents for them to sift and search and find ways to use for their own purposes. I certainly don't want them having access to my OS. It seems odd that so many people are willing to give google access to everything, from email, schedules, and now office documents. If the government or even microsoft wanted that kind of access, people would be screaming bloody murder.

ice60
October 24th, 2006, 05:47 AM
if google had anything to do with canonical i would never use ubuntu again. if google joined up with linux, i'd start using Vista.

google is the company i distrust most.

i wrote a howto afew weeks ago about how to anonymise all google searches and encrypt gmail for both firefox and opera, but it disappeared. :confused:

i make sure all my google searches are anonymised, and don't use any google stuff. you must have seen what happened when AOL released poeple's searches afew months ago? it's awful. imagine everyone being able to search through all your searches lol.

if you use other google sevices then maybe that will be public in 5/10 years along with the searches. google saves everything so people can access it in the future, that's what they do.

awful people. i don't like them one bit!!!

monkieie
November 20th, 2006, 01:25 PM
@ice60:

do you still have the howto locally anywhere and can you post it again?

I'm always concerned when large corporations start meddling in things....as soon as it becomes popular (like MyTube) POW! Some Stock-Exchange decides to muscle-in on the action. And who knows then what happens to all of that personal data?

It may be a nice idea for Google to get a piece of Linux / Ubuntu but at the very least this would turn me right off (Ubuntu). Part of the attraction for me was the fact that there is such a large (and unoffical) community without needing faceless giants in the background who can dictate in which direction things are moved.