PDA

View Full Version : God is moving!

bdwetzel
October 19th, 2006, 11:28 PM
I am a recent linux user(switching from xp). I was reading the philosophy of ubuntu and was think how great it was that there people out there that cared less about making money and more about helping people. Then today I stumbled upon CE in the forum. I was taken back, because I was thinking just recently how great it would be for there to be an open source OS for Christians, in fact more open source software for Christians by Christians inspired by His Holy Spirit. Again I find that God is always well ahead of me...how His ways are greater than my ways and His thoughts greater than my thoughts. I just wanted to take this opportunity to give Him praise for what He his doing, what He has done already, and what He is going to do in this and through this. To Him be all glory and honor.

dakotadare2b
October 20th, 2006, 02:42 AM
Yes, indeed! What you have stated is the main reasons that drew me to the Ubuntu CE os. I believe this OS will help reach and bring many new users to Ubuntu and linux in general, because of the Christian theme; who had not considered to go with Linux in the past.

I have shared both the Ubuntu and Ubuntu CE versions with friends and colleages, and they are checking them out. I don't know if they will go this route yet, but at least the seed has been planted.

I plan on showing this to my pastor and church, once I feel more comfortable with Ubuntu CE, as I too am a new user.

God Bless,
Randy

mysticrider92
October 20th, 2006, 02:44 AM
I agree with that! I thought it was very cool when I was looking through the forum list here and found this one. It's amazing to find things like this in the middle of all the bad things everywhere.

TheMono
October 20th, 2006, 02:57 AM
I don't know if it is appropriate for me to post, as an atheist, but I just wanted to say that I wholely approve of ubuntu CE.

I have a lot of christian friends who I'm trying to introduce to it - everyone has a right to their faith, and if I have access to an OS that supports it, I'm all for spreading it to christians who might want it.

All the best.

deweese
October 20th, 2006, 03:17 AM
I don't know if it is appropriate for me to post, as an atheist, but I just wanted to say that I wholely approve of ubuntu CE.

I have a lot of christian friends who I'm trying to introduce to it - everyone has a right to their faith, and if I have access to an OS that supports it, I'm all for spreading it to christians who might want it.

All the best.

Praise God! God uses an operating system to win souls!

emarkay
October 20th, 2006, 03:23 AM
Another atheist here, and seeing this thread title in New Posts, I just wondered "hmm, what's that about..."

I think it's fine in whatever way these Open Source programs are written or customized, and as long as there is no prosletyzing harassment to outsiders, and support and sincerity from within, well, I guess, what I am curiously-but-in-a-non-inflamitory manner, and knowing fully aware that it is the the BBS administrator's choice what to endorse here, wondering, is, what what is Canonical Ltd.'s say on this version?

I just wonder, (and again, I don't have a problem with any Ubuntu edition) because what if some other religious group wanted to do a version for their dogma? Or some political party?

Do you see what I am trying to get at?
Where would the support and acceptance (in permission to use the Ubuntu "brand") end, and the infighting begin?

Admittantly I have only looked for 15 minutes or so into this, but this question remained unanswered and was in the forefront of my mind while looking.

Sincertity intended, and hoped for in replies.

MRK

PS: Shouldn't the "c" in "A project to bring Open Source software to the [C]hristian community." be uppercased?

mhancoc7
October 20th, 2006, 03:46 AM
Another atheist here, and seeing this thread title in New Posts, I just wondered "hmm, what's that about..."

I think it's fine in whatever way these Open Source programs are written or customized, and as long as there is no prosletyzing harassment to outsiders, and support and sincerity from within, well, I guess, what I am curiously-but-in-a-non-inflamitory manner, and knowing fully aware that it is the the BBS administrator's choice what to endorse here, wondering, is, what what is Canonical Ltd.'s say on this version?

I just wonder, (and again, I don't have a problem with any Ubuntu edition) because what if some other religious group wanted to do a version for their dogma? Or some political party?

Do you see what I am trying to get at?
Where would the support and acceptance (in permission to use the Ubuntu "brand") end, and the infighting begin?

Admittantly I have only looked for 15 minutes or so into this, but this question remained unanswered and was in the forefront of my mind while looking.

Sincertity intended, and hoped for in replies.

MRK

PS: Shouldn't the "c" in "A project to bring Open Source software to the [C]hristian community." be uppercased?

Hi,
Yes, when I began the project I email Canonical before releasing it. They gave me some guidelines to follow and thank us for spreading the word about Ubuntu to Christians. They do not "officially" support the Ubuntu CE project. The use of "Ubuntu CE" was never really planned. It just grew from forum users using it. I always capitalize it, but I have seen some that don't. Like I said it was never really planned to use the shorthand name.

Jereme

3rdalbum
October 20th, 2006, 04:14 AM
I just wanted to take this opportunity to give Him praise for what He his doing, what He has done already, and what He is going to do in this and through this.

Don't forget to give credit to the more tangible contributors to the project: The people developing (for) Linux, Mark for providing financial support for Ubuntu, and Jereme (the guy who customises the Live CD to create the Christian Edition).

To them be a share of the glory and honor, as well.

hopstah
October 20th, 2006, 05:13 AM
where's he moving to?

/bad joke

i also think it's great that this project is coming. and i am impressed that at least one atheist has been in support of this project. i am a christian myself, and sadly don't think that christians would be as accepting and supportive of an 'Ubuntu Atheist Edition'.

so, to TheMono, way to go, man. it's great that you can be accepting and encouraging of other peoples' religions and beliefs.

mhancoc7
October 20th, 2006, 09:04 AM
i also think it's great that this project is coming. and i am impressed that at least one atheist has been in support of this project. i am a christian myself, and sadly don't think that christians would be as accepting and supportive of an 'Ubuntu Atheist Edition'.

so, to TheMono, way to go, man. it's great that you can be accepting and encouraging of other peoples' religions and beliefs.

That has been one of the most exciting things that I have experienced with this project. I have received countless emails from atheists letting me know that they may not share my religious beliefs, but they do support the concept behind Ubuntu CE.

Jereme

msgyrd
October 21st, 2006, 06:06 PM
That has been one of the most exciting things that I have experienced with this project. I have received countless emails from atheists letting me know that they may not share my religious beliefs, but they do support the concept behind Ubuntu CE.

Jereme

I think the intended question is, would you support "Ubuntu Hindu Edition", or "Ubuntu Evolution Edition", or any other organization that has a differing oppinion of the world. And with that...where does one draw the line with how many "editions" should be spawned.

As another non-believer, I certainly support your right to believe, but I can't say the project has my endorsement. For me it seems, for lack of a better description, tacky. It's other people's work with an altered name and censored content with the intent of segregating it's user base from other beliefs and cultures or, converting people to its own. As I said, I support your right to your own beliefs, but I feel that something like creating a kosher system devoid of morally questionable content is as hard as choosing not to install it.

P.S. It caught my attention that the 4th bullet point on CE's feature page was money management software. Interpret that as you choose.

mhancoc7
October 22nd, 2006, 01:20 AM
I think the intended question is, would you support "Ubuntu Hindu Edition", or "Ubuntu Evolution Edition", or any other organization that has a differing oppinion of the world. And with that...where does one draw the line with how many "editions" should be spawned.

Yes, I would support them in their efforts provided that their intention was to develop a custom linux for their niche and not push their beliefs on anyone else.

It's other people's work with an altered name and censored content with the intent of segregating it's user base from other beliefs and cultures or, converting people to its own.
It is clear to me that you have not really taken any time to read about this project. First of all isn't Ubuntu, to some degree, "other people's work" since it it based on Debian? As for your comment about segregating Ubuntu's user base, I would direct you to the FAQ (http://www.whatwouldjesusdownload.com/christianubuntu/2006/07/faq.html) page on the Ubuntu CE project site, "The concept behind the Ubuntu Christian Edition is not to deviate from the Ubuntu community. It is intended to draw a larger Christian base to the already thriving community of Ubuntu users. The Ubuntu Christian Edition simply makes it easier for Christians who are new to Linux to see the power of Ubuntu combined with the added benefit of having the best available Linux Christian software pre-installed.". You are also misinformed if you believe that the projects goal is to convert linux users to Christianity. I have said from the very beginning of the project that the goal was to bring Linux to Christians not the other way around.

P.S. It caught my attention that the 4th bullet point on CE's feature page was money management software. Interpret that as you choose.
Every person needs to keep account of their finances. This includes individuals as well as churches. Gnucash is an excellent tool to help us be good stewards of our money.

Jereme

tubasoldier
October 22nd, 2006, 01:51 AM

Unfortunately most Christians, like you, have to use money too.

emarkay
October 22nd, 2006, 03:35 AM
OK, fellow non-believers, let's play nice now...

As long as it's a sincere tithe, to foster support for those with less, and not to acquire material wealth, what's wrong with ANY religion milking the Capatalistic system for all it's worth?

Like I said, it's cool with me, but I was just worried about a rift, if the Neo-Nazis or the Branch Davidians (or the Whigs) want their own edition.

The more there is, the less there is, IMHO.

mhancoc7
October 22nd, 2006, 11:09 AM
OK, fellow non-believers, let's play nice now...

As long as it's a sincere tithe, to foster support for those with less, and not to acquire material wealth, what's wrong with ANY religion milking the Capatalistic system for all it's worth?

Like I said, it's cool with me, but I was just worried about a rift, if the Neo-Nazis or the Branch Davidians (or the Whigs) want their own edition.

The more there is, the less there is, IMHO.

I believe that a linux distro will only last as long as there is enough support for it. This point has been made several times. If someone wants a "Satanic Edition" then go for it. If there is an interest then it will thrive, and if not it will fade away. This is the same for Ubuntu CE. So far I believe that we have proven that there is sufficient interest in the project to warrant its existence.

Jereme

abaddon1215
October 24th, 2006, 05:23 PM
Well thought-out, mhancoc7. With many Christians in the world, consider the state of things if 25% of computer-literate Christians adopted Ubuntu CE. Would it not be the biggest desktop Linux in the world? When we also consider that anyone can modify and use open source code however they choose, what then is stopping Satanists, Scientologists, Avon salesladies, or Nascar fans from making their own distro?

mhancoc7
October 25th, 2006, 08:01 AM
When we also consider that anyone can modify and use open source code however they choose, what then is stopping Satanists, Scientologists, Avon salesladies, or Nascar fans from making their own distro?

Interest! If there is a true interest in a Linux distibution for the ones you mentioned or for any niche group then it will be "successful". If there isn't interest it will simply fade away. The same goes for Ubuntu CE. So far there is plenty of interest to keep the project alive for quite some time.

Soarer
October 25th, 2006, 09:31 AM
As a non-Christian, I support this project. I don't believe Jereme has tried to convert anyone to Christianity, just to Ubuntu. In that spirit, I don't think it reflects well on us non-believers to have a go at him or Ubuntu CE.

And FYI, despite what you may see in the media, by no means all Christians have a problem with Darwinian evolutionary theory.

steven8
October 25th, 2006, 10:01 AM
I am quite amazed that this would even become a debate of any kind. Open Source is Open Source. Jereme took what he felt was a wonderful system and used his given right to make it something special in a way that meant very much to him. That is what Open Source is supposed to be all about. That is why there are so many Linux distros, is it not?

Peace.

NotNutts
October 25th, 2006, 07:25 PM
I am quite amazed that this would even become a debate of any kind. Open Source is Open Source. Jereme took what he felt was a wonderful system and used his given right to make it something special in a way that meant very much to him. That is what Open Source is supposed to be all about. That is why there are so many Linux distros, is it not?

Peace.

Excellent post. IMO, this debate is more against Christians and Christ than about the distro itself. God's perfect standard ruffles feathers-it did mine for many years.

Maturia
April 26th, 2007, 01:28 PM
I think this is brilliant!! As a Christian I always seek to surround myself with things from God and yet again God provides.

There's just something I think we as Christians sometimes need to be reminded of, God is the One moving here. We're just on the joyride with Him. He doesn't need us, but He wants us with Him. So thanks to all involved to do this! For being prepared to stick your neck out for Jesus no matter how much ridicule there could come with it. There is always more Grace from doing that than anything else. I'm sure you have experienced that already.

To the non-Christians: God gave us all a choice to accept Him or not to. No-one can take that choice from you, especially not Christians. Would we oppose another religion's branded OS? I wouldn't, it is the choice of who ever decides to do it. But that does not mean that I have to support it either. I do not believe I would be true to God if I did. I truly appreciate your support, though. It is meant in sincerity and that means more than the support itself.

PS:You'll notice the capitals... Actually they don't mean much except that we humans like accentuating things with capitals. God is still God, whether you give Him a capital or not. I do it because I believe I show my respect for Him.

All Praise to Jesus!:guitar:

Bodizzle
April 26th, 2007, 04:01 PM

Who cares if Christians support a Hindu Edition or an Evolution Edition? I cannot figure out why people feel that everyone must support something before it is done. Jereme felt there was a desire for a distribution of Linux specifically geared for Christians and I think he has been proven correct so far. If there are people out there that want to design a distribution for another religion or group, go for it. Most Christians out there would say that is great for them. I would say that iincludes a "Satanic Edition", an "Evolution Edition", a "Muslim Edition", and so on. The only one I would have a problem with is an "Amish Edition" because I would wonder who actually made it:)

I had to deal with this on a smaller scale when I created the Bible Fox theme. I had one person leave a comment that it was people like me who are responsible for wars and that I was trying to indoctrinate others to believe as I do because of an optional theme for a web browser. There are some weird "non-believers" out there that are so paranoid of religion (To be fair, there are some "believers" out there that are just as weird so please don't think I am calling all "non-believers" weird and paranoid).

As another non-believer, I certainly support your right to believe, but I can't say the project has my endorsement. For me it seems, for lack of a better description, tacky. It's other people's work with an altered name and censored content with the intent of segregating it's user base from other beliefs and cultures or, converting people to its own.

This is another thing that bugs me. You could make the same claim against Mark Shuttleworth and Cannonical because they took the Debian distribution and turned it into Ubuntu. You could also make this claim against any Linux distribution because they took the work of Linus Torvalds and altered it and changed the name. That was the point of Linux and open source software. Anyone could take the source code and alter it in any way they saw fit. If you don't like it, don't use it. If you want something that fits with your beliefs, go for it.

As I said, I support your right to your own beliefs, but I feel that something like creating a kosher system devoid of morally questionable content is as hard as choosing not to install it.

I don't believe that statement. If you supported our beliefs, you wouldn't take shots at a version of Ubuntu that was geared towards Christians nor would you include your p.s. The way I read it is that you think the 4th most important thing to Christians is money. It is very childish to throw a little shot at people of other beliefs at the end of your post. It is similar to taking a shot at someone and then hanging up the phone.