PDA

View Full Version : IE7 released

towsonu2003
October 19th, 2006, 03:05 PM
This is where (http://www.microsoft.com/windows/ie/default.mspx) you download it, and this is where (http://secunia.com/advisories/22477/) you don't get surprised. enjoy :p

jc87
October 19th, 2006, 03:21 PM
The Jedis are going to feel this one:twisted:

rfruth
October 19th, 2006, 07:59 PM
I almost feel sorry for Windows users :-#

aysiu
October 19th, 2006, 08:05 PM
I don't. They can use Firefox.

towsonu2003
October 19th, 2006, 08:39 PM

I don't. They can use Firefox.

what about the linux users who're gonna be provide support to those Windows users (family & friends) :)

aysiu
October 19th, 2006, 08:40 PM
what about the linux users who're gonna be provide support to those Windows users (family & friends) :)
Make them use Firefox...?

towsonu2003
October 19th, 2006, 08:47 PM
Make them use Firefox...?

you're forgetting about how ie is implemented inside the OS and many stuff depends on its health. if (when) ie7 updates start corrupting stuff, it's gonna affect the os. of course, this applies only if MS force-feeds its users to upgrade to ie7 as expected...

it's like having a broken firefox in ubuntu (and being able to compose this statement annoys me ;) ).

public_void
October 19th, 2006, 08:49 PM
And this is how to install it. (http://www.tatanka.com.br/ies4linux/news/28)

prizrak
October 19th, 2006, 09:30 PM
you're forgetting about how ie is implemented inside the OS and many stuff depends on its health. if (when) ie7 updates start corrupting stuff, it's gonna affect the os. of course, this applies only if MS force-feeds its users to upgrade to ie7 as expected...

it's like having a broken firefox in ubuntu (and being able to compose this statement annoys me ;) ).

If I understand correctly that vulnerability requires the user to actually go to a website that was made in a particular way to take advantage of the hole. Other than that the only things that use IE in Windows are your desktop background and the file manager. I don't see much of a problem to tell you the truth. Use Firefox (also has holes btw) or some other browser and don't go online with IE and you will be fine.

Mathiasdm
October 19th, 2006, 09:32 PM
And this is how to install it. (http://www.tatanka.com.br/ies4linux/news/28)

Woot! This is great! Web developers rejoice:)
No more booting into Windows for browser checking.

Brynster
October 19th, 2006, 09:35 PM
Whopeeee!!!!

God bless Linus Torvalds and all his friends that prevent us form suffering this level on indignity.

chaosgeisterchen
October 19th, 2006, 09:36 PM
I do not think that I will ever use it when I have a chance to use something else.

Kateikyoushi
October 19th, 2006, 11:02 PM
Finally, I hope localised versions are also out, upgrade the rigs soon.

hey_ian
October 19th, 2006, 11:06 PM
I tested IE7 already and I must tell that there are lots of improvements is usabillity. But also with this improvements IE7 cannot beat Opera or Konqueror.

zachtib
October 19th, 2006, 11:11 PM
i'll just be happy to have tabs when i'm fixing someone's windows computer

y6FgBn)~v
October 19th, 2006, 11:12 PM
A vulnerability already.

http://slashdot.org/article.pl?sid=06/10/19/1326247

BWF89
October 19th, 2006, 11:14 PM
Does anyone else think that IE7 has the ugliest and most *** backwards GUI ever created. And does anyone else think that deleting the top menu bar from it to make it more "modern looking" is MS basically saying their users are too stupid to have that many buttons on the screen at once?

Old Pink
October 19th, 2006, 11:22 PM
Does anyone else think that IE7 has the ugliest and most *** backwards GUI ever created. And does anyone else think that deleting the top menu bar from it to make it more "modern looking" is MS basically saying their users are too stupid to have that many buttons on the screen at once?

If you're using Windows, and you know about Linux, then quite frankly you are stupid. :)

It's so easy to make the change... and yet people don't...

M7S
October 19th, 2006, 11:30 PM
A lot of users ARE to stupid (or at least to afraid of computers) to have many buttons on the screen at once. There's many reasons to dislike microsoft but I do think it's nice that they finaly try to think a little out of the box and that they are takeing a chance for once, instead of just being copycats.

cunawarit
October 19th, 2006, 11:41 PM

I'm personally not a fan of the interface either, but I am sure I could get used to it.

Having said that, the browser itself is a huge improvement! It isn't going to make me switch from Firefox, IMHO with the huge number of extensions Firefox has it is by far the most useful browser out there. But for plain browsing IE7 is more than OK, and it is a lot more standards compliant so it isn't as big a pain in the *** as IE6 is. It may not be quite there yet, but it is certainly a step in the right direction.

I find the popularity if IE6 incredibly frustrating, why? It is SO painful to use, develop for, look at... Everything! I can't say a single positive thing about IE6! I HATE IT!!!

I certainly don't hate IE7 with anywhere near as much passion as I hate IE6, in fact I don't hate IE7. It isn't going to be my main browser, but it doesn't make me pull my hair out like IE6 does.

Polygon
October 20th, 2006, 12:51 AM
which means i have wonderful windows updates waiting for me when i restart into windows later today to play some games... oh joy...

DirtDawg
October 20th, 2006, 01:01 AM
I, for one, am happy about IE7. It *should* make (X)HTML+CSS development waaaaaaaay more simple.

BWF89
October 20th, 2006, 02:17 AM
I find the popularity if IE6 incredibly frustrating, why? It is SO painful to use, develop for, look at... Everything! I can't say a single positive thing about IE6! I HATE IT!!!

I certainly don't hate IE7 with anywhere near as much passion as I hate IE6, in fact I don't hate IE7. It isn't going to be my main browser, but it doesn't make me pull my hair out like IE6 does.
I like IE6 alot more than IE7. Atleast with IE6 I don't have to look at an interface that is completely different from everything else on my computer.

mushroom
October 20th, 2006, 02:19 AM
so...where's the .deb?

Quake
October 20th, 2006, 02:30 AM
I installed it and what a contrast from Firefox. By that I mean it's WORSE. The gui is laggy, the rendering is slow, scrolling is jerky (Even in simple pages like wikipedia!), Back/Forward is slow.

But Firefox 2.0 is the Opposite, The gui is responsive, The rendering speed is fast, scrolling is fast, Back/forward is fast.

Plus the new IE's layout takes a time to get used to and frankly, it's not logical. Plus, it doesn't have the thousands of extensions that Firefox has so that I can customize it the way I want.

Microsoft got themselves a lemon. Maybe they didn't design it for "old" computers. Even tho mine is an Athlon XP 1800+.

potrick
October 20th, 2006, 02:44 AM
Stop slagging on IE7, everyone. This could quite possibly become the most powerful Firefox downloading tool on earth.

jimrz
October 20th, 2006, 03:38 AM
Stop slagging on IE7, everyone. This could quite possibly become the most powerful Firefox downloading tool on earth.

By god I love an optimist...and, better still, you may be right

hkgonra
October 20th, 2006, 03:54 AM
i'll just be happy to have tabs when i'm fixing someone's windows computer

That is the one thing that I always hated about firefox, tabbed browsing annoys me.
Then again clicking on liks that don't automatically open in a new window annoys me more. ;)

Quake
October 20th, 2006, 04:02 AM
That is the one thing that I always hated about firefox, tabbed browsing annoys me.

I don't want to criticize or anything but... why do you hate tabs? For me, having a bunch of browser windows opened in the taskbar along with all the other programs opened is confusing.

henriquemaia
October 20th, 2006, 04:42 AM
Isn't this Other OS talk?

hkgonra
October 20th, 2006, 01:42 PM
I don't want to criticize or anything but... why do you hate tabs? For me, having a bunch of browser windows opened in the taskbar along with all the other programs opened is confusing.

I guess it is just what I have got used to, when I am browsing the web I will find a group of things I want to read about , open all my windows ( sometimes 30 or more) then close them as I read them. With Firefox an tabs I always mess up and close the browser instead of the tab and have to start all over again.