PDA

View Full Version : Compliments and Thanks

pksings
April 18th, 2005, 07:14 PM
Hello all, I recently installed Warty on my Dell D600 laptop after getting sick of fiddling with Gentoo, it worked great, suspend didn't work, but I didn't care, everything else worked great.

I installed Hoary on a different desktop as soon as the final was released. It too worked perfectly. So I "upgraded" this laptop. This is the first "default" installation of Linux that I have successfully upgraded. Every distribution that I have tried this with previously had serious enough issues that I wound up reformatting and re-installing to fix them. Not only did everything still work, it got better, now suspend works. I especially enjoyed the interactive questioning about whether I wanted to keep my modified scripts or have the upgrade overwrite them. Well done.

I also read recently of how Ubuntu packages will not work with Debian standard distro. Please don't let this change Ubuntu, it seems to be developing much faster than Debian so in my opinion it would be foolish to change anything for them, they should be changing to meet Ubuntu as it will continue to "push" their development at a much faster rate than they have shown they can.

This truly is in my opinion, a distro for humanity, it works, it looks good (even if some nit-picky ergonomists don't think so) and I love it.

Keep up the good work. Humanity will look back and honour it.

PK

Burgundavia
April 18th, 2005, 07:45 PM
Nice comments.

As for the not installing in Debian, you must understand Debian. Ian Murdock specifically mentioned Sarge (testing) (which they are trying to release). However, Ubuntu has never tracked Sarge. It tracks Sid (unstable), where packages are uploaded to. (I think they actually go through experimental first, but I digress). Anway, the point of this is that Ubuntu has never had compatiblity with Debian Sarge only Sid and that there are packages on Sid which won't install on Sarge.

This brings us to today, where, after every Ubuntu release, the next version of Ubuntu (this one is called Breezy Badger), syncs up to Sid via an automated process.

Is that information make it more clear?

Corey