PDA

View Full Version : Looking for Ubuntu desktop CMS app

fordy
October 19th, 2006, 08:05 AM
I have searched and searched but without success. I am trying to make the transition from Windows to Ubuntu. On my Windows platform I have a Content Management System (http://www.webideatree.com). The program allows me to set up webpage templates and complete website structures and then to enter content. The program then generates all the web pages and uploads them to the server. I have looked at NVU but this doesn't do that job (templates are used for design, not site generation). I also don't want to use a server-side CMS like Plone.

Does anyone know of an open source application that will run in Ubutu that can do that job?

ixus_123
October 19th, 2006, 11:45 AM
try joomla, Drupal to name but 2

you could try http://www.opensourcecms.com/

which lists loads of options & lets you demo them instantly on their serveer - no need to install

PriceChild
October 19th, 2006, 11:58 AM
to clarify: Yeah opensourcecms.com contains a load of great CMS's which you install then run on your actual server. You edit the content there, rather than doing it on your machine and sending it. You can also preview the workings of them at opensourcecms.com

My personal favourite is Drupal, although mambo was great - just not what i wanted it for.

fordy
October 19th, 2006, 07:53 PM
Thanks guys for the links. Unfortunately, these are all server-side CMS applications. I want something to run entirely on the desktop machine and publish to the desktop for later uploading to a website. WebIdeaTree does that, as does the Java "Thingamablog" but, so far I have been unable to get that working in Ubuntu. BTW WebIdeaTree won't run under wine either.

I was hoping that there might be a Linux app packaged for Ubuntu (or Debian) thet would do the job.

H.E. Pennypacker
October 19th, 2006, 09:31 PM
I didn't know there were desktop CMSs. I only knew of server-side CMSs. You may be able to find something...don't give up.

fordy
October 19th, 2006, 09:40 PM
I didn't know there were desktop CMSs. I only knew of server-side CMSs. You may be able to find something...don't give up.

Yes, you are right; CMS is usually associated with server-side applications but there are client side tools too for Windows and Java. I'll keep looking for a Linux one - not giving up yet :-k

ixus_123
October 19th, 2006, 09:53 PM
Sorry - I just skimmed through you post without reading it properly.

fordy
October 20th, 2006, 06:31 AM
I am still interested in a Linux desktop CMS, but have had some sucess getting the "Thingamablog" Java application working thanks to some assistance in another thread. So, I at least have one working possibility. Thanks everyone.