PDA

View Full Version : "Welcome, introduce yourself" Thread

Pages : [1] 2

RAV TUX
October 19th, 2006, 05:24 AM
K.Mandla purposed this idea and the forum staff has been kicking it around I decided that this would be a great place and time for a test flight.

A sticky thread in the cafe for new and existing members simply to introduce themselves...a bit of smoozing is OK but keep the discourse down to minimum and preserve this as a thread for members to become more comfortable, and experienced users to offer a friendly welcome.

If you would like to continue dialog with a member of like interest or even similar geographical local, please PM the member directly or start a new thread consisting of inspired discourse.

EDIT: 01/01/2007 after a successful test run of this "sticky thread" this thread has proven to be a primary stable thread in the cafe.

...this is just for introducing yourself. People can say hi in reply (plus "I'm in the UK too, where are you?" ... that sort of thing),

Archive of first post:

My name is Joshua and I am new to the ubuntu forum/community. I am a website developer and designer (graphics, marketing, etc).

Usually I have a "Linux guy" that magically makes everything work for the websites I make, but I finally took the time to setup an Ubuntu server to play with (so hopefully one day I am my Linux guy :D ).

I will do my best to search the forums to find the answers I'm looking for, but don't be surprised if I post a question that makes you shake your head. ](*,)

Cheers!

weasel fierce
October 19th, 2006, 05:34 AM
Welcome aboard :)

indigoshift
October 19th, 2006, 05:45 AM
I'll be following you questions (and their answers) closely, as I'm planning on setting up a house server running Ubuntu...as soon as I can get the server put together. Wiring issues. Don't ask. :rolleyes:

And I'm a Honda driver, too. 1995 del sol. Awesome little car. :-D

RAV TUX
October 19th, 2006, 05:51 AM
My name is Joshua and I am new to the ubuntu forum/community. I am a website developer and designer (graphics, marketing, etc).

Usually I have a "Linux guy" that magically makes everything work for the websites I make, but I finally took the time to setup an Ubuntu server to play with (so hopefully one day I am my Linux guy :D ).

I will do my best to search the forums to find the answers I'm looking for, but don't be surprised if I post a question that makes you shake your head. ](*,)

Cheers!

Welcome and enjoy!

I am merging this thread with the newly formed "Welcome, introduce yourself" Sticky Thread (http://www.ubuntuforums.org/showthread.php?t=280124)

Where I trust will be the beginning of more friendly introductions and welcomes to come.

Jozef

~LoKe
October 19th, 2006, 06:05 AM
Hi, my name is LoKe, and I'm a recovering Windows-a-holic.

drphilngood
October 19th, 2006, 07:05 AM
Phil, here; hello everybody.

viper
October 19th, 2006, 07:57 AM
Welcome over Phil and ~LoKe :)

darkghost
October 19th, 2006, 03:09 PM
Hello,
my name is Andrea (male name in Italy) and I come from the land of Dante.
I'm trying to switch to linux so I think I'm here for learning, but I'll help if I can :D

Hello word! (I think we can say it here)
Bye

K.Mandla
October 19th, 2006, 06:00 PM
Welcome Andrea! :D

omns
October 19th, 2006, 06:35 PM

d3v1ant_0n3
October 19th, 2006, 07:24 PM
Hellos:D

My name is Andi, I'm an englishman living in wonderful, sticky-hot sunny florida. Dropped the big M a few months ago, tried a few distros and settled on K/Ubuntu a while back. I love these forums- Don't think I've ever seen a forum where threads could move as fast tho!

jeroen2
October 19th, 2006, 11:02 PM
I'm Jeroen from Amsterdam, Holland. I'm 24 years old, studying political science at the university of Amsterdam. I design websites and fullfill my duties as your typical family/friends computer wizard. Hobbies include snowboard, yoga and firepoi and staff.

I started using linux with redhat 7. Went back to windows in 2003 because my wireless card didn't work (and my dorm only had wireless web access). Started using Fedora in 2005 (used Fedora 2-4) and switched to Kubuntu Breezy in 2005. Recently upgraded to Kubuntu dapper.

%hMa@?b<C
October 20th, 2006, 12:31 AM
hi,
i am jeff, i am 15 yrs old and am from boston, ma, usa

bdb
October 20th, 2006, 03:02 AM
I live in beautiful Columbus GA. I just got married, bought a house and adopted a dog. :D

I've been using linux on and off for years now. I think patience is the key to getting a great system up and running. So don't give up! Keep googling!

My biggest influences are my parents, wife and my fred (that's really his name).

*the crowd claps, I bow and accept the oscar*

alecjw
October 20th, 2006, 12:11 PM
I know I've been in these forums for quite some time now, but I've never introduced myself. My names Alec Wright (hence the screen name, j is my middle initial).
I'm 14 years and 15 days old. I've been a geek for 9 years - since i was 5. I know pretty much every markup language there is and PHP. I also know a little bit of Javascript, Java, Ruby and Python and an absolutely tiny but of C++. I know absolutely everything bout *******, becuase I used it until a couple of months ago. I'm trying to forget everything windows related that I know.

K.Mandla
October 20th, 2006, 07:48 PM
I should take a second to say hello as well, since this was kind of my idea.

I started using Ubuntu roughly a year ago, with my only previous Linux experience being a disastrous run-in with RedHat about five years earlier. Things have definitely improved since then. ;)

I started working with PC machines in the late 1980s. My first computer was a Commodore 64, unless you're willing to include an Atari VCS ... or for that matter, the LED calculators I played with at the JC Penney store in the 1970s.

I occasionally tinkered with Apples or Ataris. I've also worked with Sperry-Unisys and Honeywell mainframes and some proprietary machines devoted to the news industry (Dewar, Harris and Atex systems).

The best thing about Ubuntu, for me, is the potential for resurrecting old hardware ... as you might have guessed. ;)

ollywompus
October 20th, 2006, 10:33 PM
Hey all, I'll jump on the bandwagon here. Name is "olly" (been my nickname for so long I don't even use my real name anymore). I've got a B.A. in Political Science and Philosophy. My websites, if anyone is interested, are http://doubtingthefish.wordpress.com/ and http://resisttheherd.wordpress.com

I've been using linux since '98, dual booted with Win '98 for the first 2 years, then full time since '00. Started out using RedHat, then SuSE, then settled on Slack until '04 when I ran into Hoary Hedgehog.. been using (K)ubuntu ever since (even before there really was a 'K' distro, using Ubuntu with KDE). I've gone and tried other distros (Vector, Arch, Mepis, etc) in the past, but always have come back to a *buntu.

OH, and for my work I sell proprietary Software that only runs on WinXP or 2000, and is Postal Software (in other words there is a special place in hell for me ;) ).

-olly

steven8
October 21st, 2006, 08:54 AM
Hello, my name is Steven and I live in a small town in Ohio with my wife and 3 sons. I didn't have the nerve to work with a computer until Windows 95. Since then I have worked up the courage to redo systems for myself and friends, and have attacked PCDOS in an old ibm pc 5150 we found at a thrift shop, as well as windows from 3.0 on up and pure dos 5 to 6.2 in it's raw form. I have programmed in VB3, VB6 and VB.Net and HTML.

Now, a good friend of mine, who is a UNIX/Linux guy, has enticed me to attempt Linux, which took little enticing as I have been intrigued for some time, just nervous. I am currently not beyond the liveCD phase for a few reasons, not the least of which is my wife. We are both a little leery of a dual boot system and how it could mess up our WinXP installation and the fact that my wife handles our finances online. We cannot afford diddling time to 'put things back together'.

I have tried liveCD's of LinuxDemo, Suse, and ZetaOS. I started running the Ubuntu CD I burned, but it made me nervous, with the first option being Start/Install. To choose this option will just run the OS off the CD, and provide me with an option to do an install from the disc if I wish, correct?

I think Ubuntu looks like an amazing Distro, and I am excited about using it. If the liveCD proves to be as cool as I anticipate, I will make the new machine I am working on an Ubuntu-only machine. I really do like Windows. I was terrified of computers because only my math-major genius friends knew how to work them in high school back in the early 80's, but windows gave me pretty pictures and mono-syllabic instructions which even I could follow. However, over the years I have become less in awe and more aware of the corporation which brought me that system and I would like to get away from the big-brotherness of MS.

Ubuntu looks to be a very stable and supportive way to achieve this. I look forward to being quite regular here on the forum from now on. At the moment I am searching and learning. As I need help I will ask, and as I gain knowledge, I will help.

Thank you,

Steve

illu45
October 21st, 2006, 07:45 PM
Hello,

My name is Illusha, and I'm from Toronto, Canada. I've been using Ubuntu for several months now, and must say that I am quite pleased with it. I'm currently using Ubuntu as my main OS on my PC, although I will boot back into WinXP from time to time for a game of Tribes 2 or if I need to scan something , as my scanner doesn't seem to be supported in Ubuntu (Raises fist at Canon). Anyhow, I'd like to thank the developers and community for creating and supporting the OS :).

Many thanks,
illu45

killkoy
October 21st, 2006, 09:31 PM
Matt from the UK currently doing A-levels and aplying to do maths at Uni
Hobbies include skiing and fire juggling :twisted:

alecjw
October 21st, 2006, 10:17 PM
Matt from the UK currently doing A-levels and aplying to do maths at Uni
Hobbies include skiing and fire juggling :twisted:

Huh? Hobbies? Geeks don't have hobbies! You must be an imposter.
Geeks don't have time for hobbies - we spend all of our time sitting in front of computer monitors, absorbing gamma rays and becoming more radioactive by the second!

killkoy
October 21st, 2006, 10:21 PM
Huh? Hobbies? Geeks don't have hobbies! You must be an imposter.
Geeks don't have time for hobbies - we spend all of our time sitting in front of computer monitors, absorbing gamma rays and becoming more radioactive by the second!

I dont have time. I use the time when I should be doing schoolwork:oops:
I also play squash and am getting into mountain biking :p

bpalyshka
October 22nd, 2006, 03:20 PM
hello

Thanks to everyone that supports this great version of linux. I got tired of windows; starting exploring the world of linux. Everything I know about computer is self learned. One day I plan to master Linux and Broaden my horizon from windows.

Thanks for all the support and knowledge. Information should be free.

Ben :cool:

moneypenny
October 22nd, 2006, 11:12 PM
I'm Sarah, a computer science major at the University of Kentucky. I've been using Ubuntu for a couple of months now, having come from Sarge, and I'm enjoying it. I'm currently taking the plunge in going from Dapper to Edgy, and am browsing the forums while I wait. :)

raul_
October 22nd, 2006, 11:28 PM
Hello. I'm from Angola, but i live in Portugal now. I'm an Computer Engineering student and i made the jump to Linux quite smoothly, and i've been using it for 8 months now

mon_m
October 23rd, 2006, 04:25 AM
Hey everyone,

I'm from the Philippines, currently in the U.S., but heading back in a couple days. I found Ubuntu not too long ago, and quickly made the switch from Windows ( I didnt bother leaving a Windows partition :mrgreen: ).

I'll be heading back for college, and I am actually toying with the idea of helping to run a public school with some donated computers and Edubuntu. Trying to find some help is the first problem :-k

Anyways, it's great to have found such an awesome community in these forums. Thanks a bunch guys.

darkghost
October 23rd, 2006, 11:13 AM
We really can say Hello World with a reason here :D

Ciao a tutti

GonZo1323
October 23rd, 2006, 01:53 PM
Hi everybody, my name is Zac but everyone calls me GonZo for whatever reason, I'm from Wisconsin(go Packers)
Ive been trying out different linux distros for about a year(mepis, suse,fedora,dsl) but i realy like ubuntu and feel its one of the strongest linux distros.

Thanks to everyone who helps make this a great community.

chewitts
October 23rd, 2006, 08:27 PM
Hi all
I'm new to linux, really enjoying using ubuntu...3rd week out and on my 3rd reinstall lol, forums are great and packed with all the info i need so far ;)

i come from england and also enjoy 420

all the best
chewitts

Milos_SD
October 23rd, 2006, 09:46 PM
Hi everybody. My name iz Milos, and I'm from Serbia. Ive been using Ubuntu Dapper Drake for, about two months now. I realy like Ubuntu, and it is my primary OS now. Forums are great. Everything that I was looking for about Ubuntu, I found here.

Ubuntu is the best Linux that I have ever used. Keep with good work guys.

P.S. Sorry for my bad English.

newlinux
October 23rd, 2006, 11:20 PM
Hello, My name is Marlon - Originally from Tennessee, US, now live in Washington, US. I've been using Ubuntu for 3.5 months. Up until 10 years ago I used netBSD and Linux (and various other Unix flavors), but have been windows until this summer. Ubuntu is now my primary OS. Glad to be a part of this community.

goldenratiophi
October 23rd, 2006, 11:45 PM
Hi! My name is Carlos. I'm a sophomore in high school. I started using a non-Windows OS two and a half years ago when I bought my Mac (iMac G4, still using it now), while messing with Linux on the side. I really love my Mac, but I want to try using Linux more. When I have free time tomorrow, I'm going to attempt to dual-boot OS X and Ubuntu.

This forum has answered countless Linux questions I've had, and I've finally decided to join, as I will soon be trying to use Linux full-time! ;)

Raj1991
October 24th, 2006, 09:14 AM
Hi Everyone. My name is Raj and I'm 15 years old. I'm kinda new to the world of ubuntu and would love to learn more about it.

Maczimus
October 24th, 2006, 02:00 PM
My Nmae is Tad McDearmont. Long time ******* user admin, Short time Linux one but I have edgy installed as the primary OS at home on my desktop and I am bringing up an edgy server. figuring it all out as I go along. the suppport has been helpful. MUCH MORSO than Microsofts. With the new licensing that they will have for Vista. I see a lot of people jumping ship and turning to Free and Open Source Software.

stoney-fr
October 24th, 2006, 04:31 PM
hi, my name is stoney, i'm from France, and i've been using Windows for a (too) long time. i have now almost completly switched to Ubuntu, stil gaming under Win though...been using Ubuntu since end of August 2006 with Dapper, now on Edgy and lovin'it !

zvezdogled
October 24th, 2006, 06:52 PM
I'm Simon from Slovenia. I study astrophysic and thats why i first instaled linux (some programs can't work under windows). I am on Ubunto for about a year, and i am loving it!!! things just simply work.

derekr44
October 24th, 2006, 08:39 PM
Hey all. Derek here from the sun state of Arizona. I'm a long time Windows user. Despite what the majority of people have experienced, I've rarely had an issue with Windows, as I have done all I can do to keep my system running clean and spotless. I began to research Ubuntu last year after I had aquired VMWare. With the latest developments in the Vista license, I'm perturbed that the licensing has had to come this far (even though they did the same thing with XP, there were just ways around it). But I understand their efforts to crack down on piracy, I just don't have the money to keep upgrading as much as I do.

So yeah, I'll be using Ubuntu mainly for gaming.

bonzodog
October 24th, 2006, 08:51 PM
Well, I'm simon from Ireland.

I have been hanging around in here since about this time last year, but have been a die-hard OSS zealot, and sole Linux user since 1996, when I helped maintain a cybercafe Server near my former home in the UK.

Slackware has been the main home OS since 1999 on the family PC, after I discovered I couldn't keep Windows stable for more than about an hour. Yes, I like to tinker, and not have my OS's fall over on me.

I'm possibly unique in the respect that I find Linux easier to install, use and Maintain than windows - In fact, I won't support windows anymore because it is too hard now to use.

The PC I have is an AMD 64 3000+ that I built myself last year from site called komplett (http://www.komplett.com).

In my personal life, I am now 33, and in my 3rd Marriage, with 3 children by a previous marriage. I don't actually work in computers full time, and drive a van for a living - it actually pays better than some IT managers jobs.
Zenwalk is now my main OS, which is a derivative of Slackware, as Ubuntu didn't suit me as a linux distro, but I enjoy being here in the community and help out where possible.

PineGroveDave
October 25th, 2006, 02:44 AM
Hello everyone. Just wanted to introduce myself. I've been a long time Gentoo User but I've decided to expand my horizons and install Ubuntu as well as I've heard a lot of good things about it. You see, I've convinced my Father-in-Law to install Ubuntu and he likes it. Additionally, I'm hosting a "Linux 101" class at my job and I think Gentoo may be a bit hardcore for noobies...ya know? LOL!

Anyway, I'm 46, married (wife runs Gentoo as well) with a 21 year son in the U.S. Navy who happens to be getting married on Nov 11th (despite my best efforts to talk him out of it ;) ). Looking forward to trying Ubuntu. Take care all.

Stolie
October 25th, 2006, 09:23 AM
Greetings all,

I'm Justin. Live in Washington State, US, and I'm an Ubuntu-holic! hahah.. I've been using Ubuntu since approximately June of this year. Not too long, I know!

Anyway, I work as an IT Support Analyst for a large hotel chain on the west coast of the US, and spend all my free time in front of my computer wondering what I can break to tinker with next!

Anyway, I use straight up Ubuntu Edgy RC1 (I believe), with Beryl on top of it. Lots of candy to show off the capabilities of such a great OS.

And that's all I'm willing to share right now.

Cheers,

MedivhX
October 25th, 2006, 07:31 PM
Hi!!!

My name is Milan, and I'm 14 years old. I'm from Belgrade in Serbia. I like Ubuntu very much, and I've started using it since August this year...

I hate Microsoft, and adore open-source!!! LONG LIVE LINUX!!!

katgfan
October 25th, 2006, 08:56 PM
Hi im Owen and i been a true beleiver in Ubuntu since Breezy.

chaosgeisterchen
October 26th, 2006, 12:22 AM
Time to finally introduce myself too...

My name is Simon, 18 years old and I am from Austria, to be more concrete Upper Austria, district Freistadt, a village called Kefermarkt, 2050 inhabitants, poor internet connections and very rare computer literate people. I attend business school in Freistadt, 5th year now and hope to get my decree this year. After that I have planned to start studying Software Engineering at the university of applied science in Hagenberg, only 20 km from here, it's also a very rural school but at very high standard (campus is very modern and steadily widened).

My main interests are English, German and programming. I am rather bad at programming things but I am only at the start and hope to improve dramatically while attending university.

Another interest is Linux and the development stage of free software. I am more interested in using English than in using German for communication so I choosed to use ubuntuforums.org as main platform for chatting and discussing.

Concerning computers my history began about 8 years ago when we got a 16MHz-computer as a present. That thing was rather outdated when we got it and ran Digital Research DOS Version 6.0. After having proved to my parents that we need a far more powerful machine we obtained a PIII900 in late 2000. But until 2004 I only wasted time on playing games. But then I started to grow interest for alternative things that let me dive deeper into computing. So it came that I downloaded and installed Mandriva 10.1 in 2004. From then on I tried various distributions but as I needed my notebook for school and we were forced to use Windows for certain programs I needed a spare computer for testing Linux. I obtained a €444 machine in october 2005 and from then on I used solely Linux on it. The first 6 months were pure SuSE 10.0 usage but then I started using Kubuntu Breezy after having had tremendous experiences with it on my notebook and another computer I'm adminstrating.

Long story short, I love Ubuntu and stick to it since May 2006. I engaged in Kubuntu-DE-community right from the start and I can tell myself active member of it.

So, here I am, merely knowing a mere thing but improving each and every day.

Zeke73SG
October 26th, 2006, 02:17 AM
Hi, I'm Zeke and I'm from Maryland but now I live in Seattle. I've been using Linux for a couple of months. I didn't even know that Linux was an operating system for the longest time. All I knew about it before was that computer geeks/gurus walked around wearing Linux t-shirts and I figured it was beyond my comprehension. I think I'm going to get a Linux t-shirt so people will look at me and think "If he can do it I guess anybody can". I started learning HTML in 7th grade and I work with CSS and that is the extent of my programming skillz. I've designed a few webpages, mostly for my former bands (here's one (http://taxdeductions.tripod.com/)). I play guitar, trombone and baritone horn, though I haven't messed with the latter two recently. I'm an ice hockey fan, starting to get into kayaking, and I'm interested in ancient history (I used to be addicted to Age of Empires I). I just got out of the Army and I'm currently looking for a job, so if anyone has any good ideas just let me know. Peace.

ftmichael
October 26th, 2006, 06:04 PM
Hi, I'm Michael. I'm in Boston, Massachusetts, in the north-east US, but I'm a serious Anglophile and an English boy at heart. I converted to Ubuntu from Windows in the days of Breezy so this is quite a late post, but better late than never. I just upgraded to Edgy and it looks great!

I've had Linux geeks for friends for ten or so years now, but was afraid of converting because they were running less convert-friendly distros and the stuff I saw looked more technical than I felt capable of handling. Then I discovered Ubuntu and took the plunge, and I'm never using Micro$oft again! I love it.

I don't do any software programming, although I do know XHTML and some CSS, but I'm becoming more comfortable with negotiating Linux as necessary, which is quite infrequent (Ubuntu just works!) but still happens now and then. It always amuses me when people come to me as the 'computer guru' (which happens pretty frequently), because I'm used to being around people whose playground is the bowels of Linux and various Free software, whose conversations about computers have me completely lost within a minute or two.

Michael

EeEk
October 27th, 2006, 11:34 AM
Thought I had better sign up and say hello....

Heard good things about Ubuntu so thought Id give it a go so far I'm well impressed. Ive been lurking in the background and reading for a few days now getting a few things up and running :) its sooo much faster than Suse and I've found all the answers I've looked for without having to ask :)

I think I'm converted and might just stick around :D

feest
October 27th, 2006, 03:24 PM
Well my name is Sven van de Scheur, I'm 15 (almost 16) years old I live in Holland and if it has something to do with computers, I'm up to everything.

I first started with linux when i had to build my own webserver, php didn't support the functions I wanted on windows machines so i swapt to damn small linux after a windows crash for the server. Not that i liked that linux for desktop use but it worked.

I came to Ubuntu when i had to much time and wanted to check other Linux distro's out. I liked Ubuntu so much that it became my main OS.

I still liked gaming so i had to run Windows on another partition, I screwed that partition up so no windows for me currently ;), LETS GO CEDEGA!!! :) :) :)

RevRogue
October 27th, 2006, 04:04 PM
Mornin! Hi my name is Rev and I am mostly a Newb when it comes to linux and its workings. I play a lot of Video games but I have been going to college for computer programming. I started playing with Ubuntu a while back but kinda fell out of working with it until lately when I had enough of windows on my 64bit laptop so I am getting back into Linux. I've been running my own personal server (windows) for the longest time but I mostly have been hosting games (UT04) and a personal website. I have really been contemplating installing a server vers of ubuntu on it to see how it runs. Well See you all on the forums :)

hotani
October 27th, 2006, 09:40 PM
name: charles
previous OS: Mac OS 10.4
pays bills via: database/web dev/sysadmin

Been working with *nix since 1998 or so, but Ubuntu is my first experience with the GUI side. In April I dumped my G4 for home-built PC running only Ubuntu. Looking forward to the day that it will give OS X a run for its money in the usability dept., and don't think that is too far off. :)

LakeWind
October 28th, 2006, 11:04 PM
Hi All,

I'm new to Ubuntu. I just installed 6.10 yesterday and I must say that I am impressed with it so far. I've been using linux in one form or another since about 1995 when I purchased and installed Red Hat Linux. Since then I've installed and used several distro's including Debian, Mandrake, Fedora, etc...

I eventually settled on SuSE and I still prefer it. I've been using SuSE for several years and currently run 10.0 on my production machines. One of the reasons I prefer SuSE over other distributions is that I like Yast. It makes administration of the system so much easier in my opinion. I've become lazy of late and prefer to use gui tools for as much as possible. Is there a Yast equivalent in Ubuntu?

So far, I like what I've seen of Ubuntu 6.10 edgy. It's very clean and lean. I really like the Synaptic package manager! I'm also impressed with Gnome. I haven't given Gnome a serious look in a few years. To me, Ubuntu has really done it right! I'll continue using it on my test machine for a while and maybe I'll switch over one of my production units at some point after a bit more experience with this nicely polished distro.

Well done Ubuntu! :)

Cyraxzz
October 29th, 2006, 04:26 AM
Hello, my name is Stephen.

I switch to Ubuntu in February, it has been my primary and only OS since then, i own 2 machines a personal system and server, I use Ubuntu on both. My previous distribution was Gentoo. I'm studying network security, Linux and programming(mostly Python).

mango.muncher
October 29th, 2006, 04:49 AM
Hi All, I've been using for 4 months, addicted now, there is no other. I help pay the bills with a web retail business and have converted the office PC to Ubuntu. I use VM to run some old fashion MS programs that I can't shake yet.
Next step is setting up my laptop with the Edgy Elk.

Nelson, New Zealand is home. Guinness is the brew of choice.

Thanks to the Ubuntu team and the Open Source Software supporters for helping make the world a better place.

APNelson.L
October 30th, 2006, 12:12 AM
Hi my name is Andrew and I am 14 years old, I hope to be a computer programmer and I am learning c++ now. I am running Ubuntu 6.10 as well as Windows XP

DJ Wings
October 30th, 2006, 12:20 AM
I'm also a 14-year-old, and I've used Ubuntu for almost a year. My favorite games are SuperTux and ThinkTanks (http://www.planetthinktanks.com) (@Cyraxzz, <3ing the Tux avy), and I've never used Compiz. That's my main goal: to not just watch another demo vid on YouTube, but to actually use it. It looks WICKED, and I'm getting annoyed: My last attempt to try it out broke my Edgy system, and now I have to reinstall Dapper and upgrade- no easy task, according to everyone else who's tried it. I also write Linux reviews (link in my sig) because I need somewhere to put all the stuff that goes on in my head. Like... here...
Dang it, not again! Evil long posts...

jonobacon
October 30th, 2006, 04:12 PM
Howdy people,

My name is Jono and I work for Canonica as the Ubuntu Community Manager. I am here to keep the troops happy and help to make the community rock where I can. :)

My favorite colour is red, I listen to metal, and I have two very small sausage dogs.

Jono

lwr
October 31st, 2006, 12:45 AM
Hi everybody,

My names Luke, and I'm a lazy student at UEA studying maths with computing. Hopefully I'll learn some stuff that can help me get more involved in the community and start contributing some code.

My other great passion, besides Linux, is my church (http://www.proclaimerschurch.com/). I know, it might sound strange, but this is 'church without the boring bits', and the best bit of my week. If you're in Norwich, why not come and check it out?

Luke

P.S. Good to see you on the forums, Jono. I love LugRadio, and I've got high hopes for Jokosher. Keep up the good work.

nbound
October 31st, 2006, 01:47 PM
Hi all...

My name is: Karl
My age is: 18
My nationality is: Australian
My occupation is: IT student at Southern Cross University.
My Favourite Colour is: Red
My Musical Taste is: Metal
My Religion/Philosophy is: Atheism (Dont beleive in any god/s)
My Political Philosophy is: Communism/Socialism/Libertarianism
Ive been using Ubuntu since: 5.10 Breezy

MedivhX
October 31st, 2006, 03:21 PM
Hi my name is Andrew and I am 14 years old, I hope to be a computer programmer and I am learning c++ now. I am running Ubuntu 6.10 as well as Windows XP

Hey!!! You're all the same as I am, except i'm learning Delphi 2005!!!:D :D :D

nbound
October 31st, 2006, 03:28 PM
Nice to see programmers starting young... I learnt VB while i was 15/16, and am learning C++ at university this year (17/18 ). If youve mastered it by the time u get there (if u wanna do a degree in IT)... Your gonna get alot of High Distinctions :p

rdd
November 1st, 2006, 12:31 AM
Hi, my name is Tom and I am a linux-addict.

But seriously I am 25 years old and studied Business IT and finished this year. Now I run a small company where of course all business is done on Open Source systems. I personally switched to linux beginning of this year and I haven't looked back ('Read my lips: No more Windows.' - None).

I love Ubuntu and the community around it. I am grateful to be a part of it. I believe that the team, the community, and Mark S. will rock the world.

Everybody keep up the great work

Tom

rlozano
November 1st, 2006, 11:59 AM
hiya all!

my full name is Randall Lozano, from Philippines. i'm basically new to using ubuntu and intending to become one serious user of ubuntu.

i intend to grow ubuntu user base herein the Philippines and i have started migrating my office OS to Ubuntu....

;)

jcooper
November 2nd, 2006, 04:04 PM
Hi I'm Jon and I'm an Ubuntu addict :)

(OK, Alocoholics meeting jokes over)

I'm 24 and from the UK. I have been using Ubuntu on and off since Breezy, and have been involved in open source in one way or another for about 8 years, however now have Edgy as the sole OS on my Toshiba Tecra M2. It's fantastic and I couldn't imagine going back to XP. Ironically, wireless support is better under Gnome with NetworkManager than even Vista RC2!

Now all we need is AIGLX + Compiz type window rendering (not special effects by default - I can do without those...) by default and we will have the best OS money could ever buy ;)

EdThaSlayer
November 2nd, 2006, 05:11 PM
Hello...iam Edwin, iam 16 years old, iam quite the python programmer(have been playing around with it for 1+ years,around 90% done with ByteOfPython and can't wait to move to the second book!I memorized the Tkinter library so my programs have GUI!),i also have quite a few large python programs(1000 lines of code+).My first dream was to become some tech support or software developer guy but with the outsourcing these days that is impossible. But i do have a dream to become a hacker!Lets see...Linus Torvalds would have to be my rolemodel, i love Linux, i hate Microsoft. I have been using Ubuntu since version 5.1 (more than 6 months i guess! )and before that i was a Windows Power user! I also watch quite a bit of anime...

gary101
November 3rd, 2006, 10:39 AM
Hi all
Gary here, just started playing with Ubuntu about a week ago and must admit I am so impressed I can see it becoming my main OS for personal use (need windows for work).
I am using Dapper and have been playing about with customising the look (who can resist!) and getting my USB-DVB-T stick to work. I built a box for Linux out of bits I had hanging around, based on a duron 1300, seems to be fine but having a few problems with kaffeine freezing when trying to watch dvb-tv.(pretty sure it is a hardware issue!?)
Having said that I managed to put together a tuning file for my local transmitter (Belmont) from scratch so I am quite pleased with that (there seem to be a lot of tuning problems posted in linux forums).
My next plans are to upgrade the hardware I am running Ubuntu on and migrate as much of my work to it so I only use M$ when absolutely neccessary :D
The amount of information available for people starting with Ubuntu is far better than I have ever seen for any other distro, I hope to be able to contribute as soon as I can.

Kieranties
November 3rd, 2006, 12:24 PM
Hello hello,

My name is Kieran, I have been using ubuntu since breezy, but being a computer science student, I used a variety of machines all the time. And thanks to plenty of constant tweaking they never stayed stable enought to have a proper play....

Back in the real world I have a job as a software developer. All work is on M$ but it means at home with my own development projects I can get back to linux. Recently rebuilt my comp and have put edgy on. Works like a charm (so far!)

My next plans are to upgrade the hardware I am running Ubuntu on and migrate as much of my work to it so I only use M$ when absolutely neccessary
Have you seen the greatness that is vmware? As I said my work environment is all M$ too, so follow this little guide (http://www.ubuntuforums.org/showthread.php?t=183209&highlight=vmware) to setup virtual machines on ubuntu. It's awesome

cvmostert
November 3rd, 2006, 05:44 PM
Hi, I am Chris and i am a Classical Singer in Switzerland. I have also been using ubuntu since breezy and hope ubuntu aka linux grows till it bursts out of its seams!

I wish i had a really fast pc to run ubuntu on... I would install all the goodies like gxl and berryl...

I am already planning what hardware (compatible) i am going to buy...

cheers to all.

Narzuhl
November 3rd, 2006, 06:41 PM
Hey all, Im Dave. live and work in Virginia. I am a SQL programmer, with all the fun MS titles. Dropped MS at home for Ubuntu, tired of all the Windows Issues. My office used an all MS enviroment, so i run Windows on Vmware at home and Ubuntu on VMware at work. I have been using Ubuntu off and on for about 1 year and 1 1/2 month ago totaly switched. Love it and have no desire to go back to MS....now just to convert my office.

UchihanoKonoha
November 3rd, 2006, 07:29 PM
My name is Dylan Darnell, I live in the US, in Paducah Kentucky. I am a first timer in the Linux world and i have not yet taken the plunge into it but I'm doing my research and will eventually (very soon) switch from Windows to Ubuntu.

heliumcyanide
November 4th, 2006, 05:15 AM
I am Robert Conrad, not the dude from Wild Wild West. I am 25, used to be in Tech Support, and Web Dev., but I am now an E-911 Dispatcher. Love my job. I am also a Captain in a Volunteer Fire Dept. I have dabbled in Linux, and such. Started out playing with Slackware, and FreeBSD.

hod139
November 4th, 2006, 05:29 AM
I'm Steve, 25, and currently in my fourth year (omg :o) as a doctral student at RPI (http://www.cs.rpi.edu/%7Esberard). I'm studying robotics, with an emphisis on physically based simulation and manipulation planning. I've been using Ubuntu since Warty, and have been amazed at how fast this commuity has grown!

pitkali
November 5th, 2006, 06:55 PM
Hi,

I'm Peter but I'm more often called Kali (in real world) or pitkali (in the web). I come from Poland, Wrocław. I study computer science aiming at PhD. I use linux since 1999 and SuSe 6.0. I use Ubuntu since Breezy. My hobby is computer programming - I've been using C, C++, Python, Nemerle, some C# and now I'm fascinated by functional programming with Haskell.

Regards,

alphasurf
November 6th, 2006, 01:02 AM
Hi all I just wanted to introduce myself i am new on the forums. I am alphasurf.

Roofie
November 6th, 2006, 04:29 AM
Hello all i am new to the comunitty.
I wanted to try out linux for years now and yes i have finally jumped right on in.I do have to say i probably was one of the lucky ones,install was easy and all works fine.Windows xp never installed all my drivers!

Well just wanted to say that i think this is an amazing system and cant wait to learn more.8)

kristinc
November 6th, 2006, 09:23 PM
Hey there,

I'm Kristin, a masters student in astrophysics from Norway, living in Oslo. Physics studies at the university implies that I've known Linux for some years now, at least at the amateur level.

The time, I think, has finally come to convert my toshiba laptop into one with Linux, and of course the choice is Ubuntu. However, it will have to wait after my exams, so I'm not going to post much here until around the holidays or so.

Either way, nice to say hello in the mean time. :-D

acheun
November 7th, 2006, 02:07 AM
Hi,

I'm a chinese and born in HK. I got an English name, Alex, for easy communication with every one. I'm now living in this lovely country Australia.

My first experience with computer was Apple II compatible and a cassette tape drive to load game to play with. When I graduated and got my first pay, I at once went to buy a very "high techie" at that time, a 5 1/4" floppy drive for my game.

My first taste of Linux was Suse 9.1. Cause I loved it got a thick manual book for me to learn Linux. Then I came across Ubuntu Hoary. Since then, I stick with Ubuntu, not just because of the software, but also because of it has a great community.

I love to learn new thing. So I would like to take up a challenge to install Gentoo stage 1.

uvstar
November 8th, 2006, 09:29 AM
Hi all,

My name is Barbara (Varvara in Russian, but I rarely use that name except when I'm actually in Russia), I'm from Sydney in Australia.
I have always loved experimenting with new things and I was introduced to the phenomenon of computers only around 4 years ago - I live with my grandparents who have never used a computer in their life, and so I only got one when it became an absolute necessity.
I'd heard way too many good things about Linux not to try it myself, and Ubuntu was a distro that had caught my eye earlier...so here I am, pretty much a Linux newbie.
I must say though, the install was a lot smoother than my first XP install (granted that XP install was back when I was 11 and had absolutely no idea what the heck I was doing :wink:).

Just thought I'd say hi, and I'm looking forward to learning something new! :D

sweemeng
November 8th, 2006, 03:48 PM
ng swee meng, a comp sci student in university of malaya.

been using linux since debian woody, when i install it on my laptop, and the recompile kernel then x, just to get it working properly. later use mandrake, 10.1. then. then switch back to debian when sarge comes out. then knows ubuntu. the only distro that make it easy to get many things working. and partly because i am a big fan of debian, that time, now i don't really care, each distro have it place.

using linux for everything, except playing windows game(by then i don't play game anymore, too busy, partly true, mostly because of hardware). doing a lot of programming, from python, c/c++, to c#. use it to do sysadmin work, ssh, to a gateway, i was managing. put it easily, windows don't exist in my life. except my lecturer uses it in class(because of visual studio](*,) ). thats where vmware comes in!!!!!!!:D

now using kubuntu edgy.

ubu_n00b69
November 8th, 2006, 07:16 PM
My name is Michael, and I was a WIN Power User, the key word is WAS :D
I am an Applications Engineer for a Power Quality Company in Pittsburgh, PA.
I have been using a PC since a P100(1985).
Since the WIN Genuine advantage tool said my LEGAL version on XP was a Bootleg(I have all of the DOCS) and M$ said TOO BAD,](*,) I decided to dive into Ubuntu 3 weeks ago.
I have since loaded it on 4 Machines, 3 Desktops and 1 Laptop, all with minimal Issues.
If I could make a suggestion to all n00b's, use Automatix2 to set up all of your Codecs and Plugins. If you do that, your machine will be up and running in half the time it takes to load XP.

Thank you to all of the Devs that have made Ubuntu what it is today.

Oh, one more thing... BYE BYE BILL GATES!!!

PsiKloPx
November 8th, 2006, 08:05 PM
Hello all! My name is Steve and I'm from Texas. I am (as someone has already said) a recovering "Window-holic". Although I am forced to fall off the wagon frequently when I run across something that I can't (read: have yet to learn to!) do in Linux. And, of course for work (Sales/Marketing Manager)we're still hopelessly enslaved to Mr. Gates.

My teenage son has been trying to convert me for a few years but I resisted. Until I was out of town on business a couple of months ago and my OS crashed on my laptop. And I didn't have the necessary disks to repair it. I wandered into a book store and as I walked passed the magazine rack an over-sized mag caught my eye; the September issue of Linux Format (DVD Inside!)with the headline saying Ubuntu was ..."the world's most popular distro..". So, long story short, two hours later my HP Pavilion is back in business - sending emails, reading MS Word docs...the works! My PCI wireless card had to wait until I got back home and found this forum but everything else was a breeze!

I plan on spending considerable time here so that I can come to be as proficient in Linux as I am in Windows.

Thanks for all the help so far!

gorkur
November 9th, 2006, 03:06 PM
Hello there!

I'm a 25 year old Icelander who has just installed Ubuntu 6.10 on his PC. And I must say I'm loving it :cool:

I'm a bit of a nostalgic, which can be seen by looking at one of my C64's sitting on my desk next to my main PC :mrgreen:

I must say that at a first glance the Ubuntu community looks like a helpfull one, seeing as I've found most solutions to my beginners problems right here.

Seeya around!

K.Mandla
November 9th, 2006, 09:27 PM
I'm a bit of a nostalgic, which can be seen by looking at one of my C64's sitting on my desk next to my main PC :mrgreen:
Excellent! You might want to look at this (http://www.ubuntuforums.org/showthread.php?t=278022).

zcal
November 9th, 2006, 11:34 PM
Hey folks, I'm from Wisconsin and currently attending college. Until last spring I had no experience with Linux, then tried it on a whim just because I wanted to undertake a new project. I fiddled with a few different distros, even FreeBSD, before I finally settled on Ubuntu Breezy. I completely wiped Windows XP from my laptop's hard disk and took the plunge, even trusting 4 major end of the term assignments to OpenOffice. Let's just say everything turned out perfectly, and got even better with Dapper.

My desktop's still running Windows XP, but I haven't touched it since June, as I let my family use it at home while I was away working over the summer, and right now I'm abroad in Spain. Needless to say, I've been getting along happily with Dapper on my laptop the whole time. Once I reclaim my desktop I plan to wipe the drive clean of XP and install Edgy. :cool:

gorkur
November 9th, 2006, 11:49 PM
Excellent! You might want to look at this (http://www.ubuntuforums.org/showthread.php?t=278022).

I have Vice working allready (got the .deb of 1.19) tho but I'm having problems getting it to work in fullscreen mode. Hopefully it'll work better after reading this guide :mrgreen:

queen_yoshi
November 10th, 2006, 01:10 AM
Well I was lost and now I am found again! :mrgreen:

I first used Ubuntu Warty, then Hoary, then something bad happened...I went back to XP lol on my 7 month foray back to the darkside I cracked it and now am back with the land of the living running Dapper quite happily!

(I forgot how nice and quick Ubuntu starts and shuts down after using XP again!!)

Oh and about me, I am a 32 year old mother of 2, aircraft maintenance engineer by trade, now working in IT for an aerospace company after playing with military aircraft for a bit, living in Brisbane in Queensland Australia. I also have this strange affliction towards Japanese anime, Doctor Who, skydiving, and downhill mountainbiking! I have also been building a site - link below, but it isnt online at the moment, having teething problems!

Well seeya all around, and I hope I too can offer something useful like other people have here on these most informative forums! :-D

viper
November 10th, 2006, 01:15 AM
Well I was lost and now I am found again! :mrgreen:

I first used Ubuntu Warty, then Hoary, then something bad happened...I went back to XP lol on my 7 month foray back to the darkside I cracked it and now am back with the land of the living running Dapper quite happily!

(I forgot how nice and quick Ubuntu starts and shuts down after using XP again!!)

Oh and about me, I am a 32 year old mother of 2, aircraft maintenance engineer by trade, now working in IT for an aerospace company after playing with military aircraft for a bit, living in Brisbane in Queensland Australia. I also have this strange affliction towards Japanese anime, Doctor Who, skydiving, and downhill mountainbiking! I have also been building a site - link below, but it isnt online at the moment, having teething problems!

Well seeya all around, and I hope I too can offer something useful like other people have here on these most informative forums! :-D

sonic-ua
November 10th, 2006, 02:37 PM
Hello, I'm Sonic from Ukraine and Russia

Splund
November 10th, 2006, 11:00 PM
Hi, my name is Bob, I recently installed Kubuntu after finding on the cover of a magazine in the newsagents. I have previously installed many different flavors of Linux over the past 3 or so years. All worked fine but i gave up on them all for various reasons, install problems, dual boot hassles etc. But I dont think Ubuntu could make things any easier now, I have 2 installs of 6.06, (I belive also known as Dapper?) a 32 bit and a 64 bit and im very happy with them. I still have XP installed because I play a few games that wont run on Linux but everything else I do in Linux. I joined this group in the hope I could ask questions, but I have not found the need to yet as all my problems have been answered with a quick forum search.

Bob

K.Mandla
November 11th, 2006, 06:51 PM
Welcome, Bob!

Izobalax
November 11th, 2006, 08:31 PM
Hey everyone. :D

After many unsuccessful attempts at installing Ubuntu Dapper Drake on my PowerPC Mac G3, I received today my CD's from ShipIt. I ran, I installed and now I have Ubuntu at long last! :D

What a lovely OS.

TMM
November 12th, 2006, 04:27 PM
Hey there,
I'm Tim (no, TMM isn't a typo, it stands for "tim monaro madness" which is completely random... thats another story ;)) ,i'm 16 and i'm a student. I've been using ubuntu since breezy in a virtual machine for a webserver, but only recently i've installed it natively as the sole OS on one of my boxes (and dual booting on the other for games). I'm still a linux noob, but i'm learning fast :)

Keep up the good work guys :mrgreen:

ac7ss
November 13th, 2006, 03:44 AM
My name is Glenn, and I have been running ubuntu for about 5 months on my laptop. (Recently upgraded to Edgy)

I found that I havn't even looked at my windows partition for about 3 months, ever since I got my wifi working. I still use MSW on my home machine, but that is because my wife is addicted to certain games and I am not about to try to take that away from her.

If I get the home machine to dual-boot, I will not be using MSW myself anymore. As it is, I use the laptop most of the time at home anyway.

I grumble that MSW is the only software at work, but working for the county that MS is based in, we are obligated to use it. (Can't even use Firefox, as much as our IT chief would like to.)

farmerbee
November 13th, 2006, 05:29 AM
hello everyone ..
i Love you ^_^

dbbolton
November 13th, 2006, 06:47 AM

Cheers!
hey joshua.

i'm daniel

StormGuy
November 13th, 2006, 07:20 AM
My name is Bobby. I'm a 20-year-old CS major, and I've just started to play around with Linux. Ubuntu is my first Linux OS, and while I have problems now and again, I really enjoy usuing it.

I'd love to become a contributer to the Ubuntu community and help this OS to grow. I think the philosophy behind it is beautiful and takes a very optimistic look at humanity (a weird thing to say about an OS, but it kinda seems to be the case here :) ). I'd like to develop my skills such that I can really start helping out around here. That might take a while, but the trip there will be enjoyable too.

Neoito
November 13th, 2006, 01:19 PM
Hi all.

Complete Linux newbie, loving Ubuntu the forums have been great and have already answered a few (silly) questions.

I knew it would be different but I'm amazed how much I took for granted in Windows, installing programs has to be the biggest difference so far, but I'm managing.

Hoping to start doing freelance graphic design soon and looking forward to getting to grips with this fantastic distro.

PsiKloPx
November 13th, 2006, 11:11 PM
My name is Glenn, and I have been running ubuntu for about 5 months on my laptop. (Recently upgraded to Edgy)

I found that I havn't even looked at my windows partition for about 3 months, ever since I got my wifi working. I still use MSW on my home machine, but that is because my wife is addicted to certain games and I am not about to try to take that away from her.

If I get the home machine to dual-boot, I will not be using MSW myself anymore. As it is, I use the laptop most of the time at home anyway.

I grumble that MSW is the only software at work, but working for the county that MS is based in, we are obligated to use it. (Can't even use Firefox, as much as our IT chief would like to.)
Welcome Glenn! (I guess I can say that; I just joined this month myself!) I'm in the same boat as you with the home and office computer. I'm running Ubuntu on my HP pavilion and loving it. I'd totally wipe my windows partition if I didn't need it for work occassionally! One thing I'm having problems with is getting the video codecs to work properly. Flash videos like YouTube work fine, but Windows videos like on Foxnews play only sound. Have you had any luck with this?

Thanks and good to meetcha!

Steve

Y4CcduyctJL3
November 14th, 2006, 01:14 AM
hello everyone! my name is joe and i'm a bit of a jack of all trades, but my current day job is as an optician. i've been using ubuntu for a couple of weeks now and would not have been able to get it going if it weren't for the wealth of info in these forums. so thanks to everyone that contributes and makes this community so rich.

see you around!

Shuja
November 14th, 2006, 10:03 AM
Hi, been a Red Hat user for a while then Fedora when it started and since I've bounced around to a few other distros finally ending up here. First off I love the fact that it's only one CD I have to download and not a DVD just to get a system up. It's taken me a few days to get use to apt-get and synaptic but I'm still impressed at the amount of software thats so easily installed by it and things like Automatix to let me get the media aspect of my laptop up and running with KISS simplicity. I don't mind doing config hacking but it's nice when things work without resorting to it. It was a pain getting beryl to work on Fedora but I didn't have any trouble getting it running in Ubuntu 6.10. It makes working with a lot of windows so much easier as I can see everything I have open click on it and it'll switch to the right desktop with the window I want active. It looks nice and it's very functional which is great when you're staring at a screen most of the day. Keep up the good work!

bryanb
November 14th, 2006, 08:21 PM
Hello Everyone...

I'm Bryan. :) Just installed ubuntu 6.06 recently on my latpop (Acer 5002)... up and running good. Took me a few tries to get the wireless working, but I'm doing good now!

Awesome support community!

K.Mandla
November 15th, 2006, 06:13 AM
Welcome, Bryan!

Mitsuko
November 15th, 2006, 10:31 AM
Hi, I'm Matt. I'm building a computer up at home with ubuntu 6.06 on, first time using Linux so I'm a complete Newbie :D

pinkbetty
November 15th, 2006, 10:26 PM
Hello,

I'm Kat and relatively new to Linux except a brief dabble with Debian on an old laptop. Ubuntu has managed to hook me in now though. 3 weeks and only one boot out and that was to play a game that I sadly can't get running in wine. (I think I belong in a Windows anonymous meeting after that statement)

I'm an IT Tech in London, and if they are any other geek-minded people looking for somewhere to live in South London, please PM me. I went to view a house yesterday where the guy seemed to think that one communal PC with an Internet connection was enough for the whole house. Erm...

Kat :)

56phil
November 16th, 2006, 04:24 PM
Hi everyone, I'm Phil. I tutor math at a local community college in Kansas City, MO.

Ubuntu is very new to me. While my transition to Linux has not been without problems, I am sooo happy to me a member of this community.

We have Ubuntu installed on my laptop, a Gateway M680, and an old AMD homebuilt. I'm really pleased that the install went as smothly as it did on the home built5 system. If it was'nt for my step-daughter's laptop, We would have a 100% Ubuntu home. :)

LordFiodor
November 16th, 2006, 08:59 PM
Hi all,
my name's Fritjof and im from Coburg in the middle of Germany.I bought myself an Acer TravelMate two weeks ago to test Ubuntu as I had an Apple Mac mini before. Now I gave the mini to my Family an I use Ubuntu only, yes I really like it. The first time I thought about swichting was when I realized which Programs I mainly used (Gimp, Inkscape, NeoOffice = OOo, Adium (based on libgaim), ET and many more). Now I'm here and it's fantastic!
The only thing I need help is here (http://ubuntuforums.org/showpost.php?p=1752388&postcount=74) and the ET/TeamSpeak Sound Problem.

kinson
November 17th, 2006, 04:29 AM
Hi all ! :D

I've known about Ubuntu for a while now, but onli realli intalled in on my main desktop recently ! Still using Windows for the moment, but slowly exploring "how to do XXX in Linux" bit by bit :D

Happy to be here with you guys :D
Cheers,
Kinson

japc126
November 17th, 2006, 04:48 AM
Hi, I'm japc126. I'm just starting to use Ubuntu and to explore it's capabilities.
I'm not a native English speaker, so please excuse any gross grammatical error
I hope Ubuntu is as good as they say, but I'm not ready yet to uninstall my old xp. Hopefully one day I will.

sucilobaid
November 17th, 2006, 05:09 AM
hi everybody, my name is rodolfo, and i live in gainesville, fl, currently studying at the University of Florida, and have just recently begun to reuse linux, since highschool. I'm not familiar with linux too much to tell the truth so i am basically a n00b, & will possibly post things that may annoy you, which i hope doesnt happen to often & therefore am apologizing in advance. So yea thats bout everythin, rite now im usin edgy & am tryin to get everytin settled as well as tryin to use/install vmware, since i dont want to use windows anymore, b/c 20+ windows reinstalls can drive any1 crazy. er ya i think my rant/intro is done er ya :D

uptimebox
November 17th, 2006, 01:52 PM
Hi!

My name is Mikhail. I'm 29 years old sysadmin from Russia.

I have been devoted Debian user for ages. Still thinking that Debian is the best system/ideology for good stable server. Running about 20 Debian servers all around the world.

Using Ubuntu since 4.10 (Warty). All my personal desktop and mobile systems (home, work, notebook) are totally M$-free. Switched to Ubuntu desktop from Debian. Sometimes I try to persuade friends to try Ubuntu (with several success stories at this field). Have some experience in migrating business users from Windows to Ubuntu.

jeyaganesh
November 17th, 2006, 04:24 PM
Hallo I am Jay,
I am very new to linux world. I have been using windows for about 10 years. I am very curious to use linux OS. I tried Suse first and I came to know about Ubuntu from yahoo chatting. I found Ubuntu is current desktop champion among linux OS. I installed it yesterday and I am very much impressed by its look and performance. I feel Ubuntu is best.

I am also interested in making my desktop beautiful and attractive.I would like to contribute something to Ubuntu in art area.

Have Fun
Jay

4-8-4 Northern
November 17th, 2006, 10:20 PM
Hi my name is Paul,
I am in the process of configuring my plain label desktop with Dapper preferring to wait for the bugs to be worked out of Edgy. I formatted over Windows entirely as I am determined to make this work! I am encouraged by the amount of help on these forums!

Adler
November 18th, 2006, 02:38 AM
Hi All,

Well, I originally started with SuSE 9.0 through 10.0 OpenSource, and then Novell's SLED. I switched to Dapper 6.06 when it came out, and have never looked back.

I have lived in several European countries for about 10 years, then in Asia for another 10 years. I'm in Phoenix, Arizona right now.

I run a UBUNTU Linux Workstation (LAMP), and found myself getting into Web Publishing. But, only for myself. Lot's to talk about!

Adler

raspark
November 19th, 2006, 12:17 PM
Hi all! I have been a Ubuntu user since ver. 5.04 and I love it. I have been in the computer biz since 1983, mostly working on mainframes, but personal computers have been a part of my life, dabbling mostly, since my C64. I currently work as a Lead Computer Operator/Help Desk Tech for a major networking company and support world wide users on a variety of platforms/apps. That's while I'm actually running our batch programs and doing maintenance in the computer room.

I've been using/playing with Linux on a variety of old hardware for a few years, but I really appreciate all of the work that has been done on Ubuntu and Debian to allow me to set up and run without trouble. Other distros were a nightmare for me in a lot of ways, but not Ubuntu. I have been on an upgrade path to the newest stable release and haven't had to wipe any disks for a long time. All of the other distros had me wiping installs and losing info, but now I can keep things together and upgrade without worry.

I consider myself a noob, but can usually figure out most of my own problems, and only venture onto the Wiki or forums when I need to ask a question or look up a solution to a specific problem. It's that time thing, not enough of it to go around.

Randy

Comedy Dave
November 19th, 2006, 04:29 PM
Hi guys,
Just converted myself to linux, been planning it for a while but the only thing stopping me was that I couldn;t live without Football Manager (WWSM)

But thanks to a guide on these forums I have managed to get it running under Ubuntu, so thanks, this poor former student can now afford to run his pc without the risk of a fine from our redmond freinds :)

CD out!

MuyGrande
November 19th, 2006, 08:54 PM
Hi, my name is Pat and I installed Dapper just yesterday in fact, after toying frustratingly with Edgy Eft for a week or so prior. Also running XGL and currently only dealing with two issues (which amazes me given how buggy I had heard it was under many circumstances). Hope this forum can help me learn alot about a non-Windows OS (because I'm getting really sick of XP, and, frankly, dreading the release of Vista, as I've perceived it to be nothing more than user-friendly eye candy, so far).

Nice to be a part of this forum, and take care everyone.

~MuyGrande/Pat

hypnotic_frog
November 20th, 2006, 10:57 AM

Cheers!

Hi all!
My name is Maria. I'm 24.
Now I study and work. Soon I'll become a designer. :)
But in present day I'm only a student. :) ](*,)

Pray
November 20th, 2006, 05:38 PM
Hi, I'm a 21 year old computer engineer from the UK. RedHat refugee, used to use RH based distro's, tried Ubuntu a couple times (5.10 was my first Linux distro ;)), have some cd's with it on and decided to stick with it on my home desktop. :) Loved Debians APT since I first used it, so it's good Ubuntu has it.

JonThomp
November 20th, 2006, 05:50 PM
Hi,
I'm Jon fairly new to ubuntu and linux. I'm 19, from the UK and am studying for a degree in computing.

:D

BlueMystic
November 20th, 2006, 05:56 PM
I'm 24, re-enlisted in the Army. Currently training at Fort Gordon, USA. ( http://www.gordon.army.mil/sigbde15/369/default.htm )

Started with suse 8 (waaay back in the day lol...) then jumped boat to RH 9. Stayed with that for a long time, lovin' it. Tried Gentoo and Slackware, (both over my head) tried Debian Drake. Loved it. Searched for Debian-based distros and found ubuntu. I've been really liking ubuntu. :-)

steevk
November 21st, 2006, 09:14 AM
Hello, I'm Steev!

I burned my first Ubuntu CD right after Dapper was released upon the world, and haven't used any other Linux since. I've used Slackware, Red Hat, Fedora Core, FreeBSD, Knoppix, Gentoo, and a few others before, but I really like Ubuntu quite a bit.

I'm a CS major at the University of Pittsburgh, and involved in various computer related things around campus. I've managed to use Ubuntu to convert 2 other people to Linux, (both don't even dual boot anymore) with more on the way, hopefully.

I'm looking forward to finally getting around to giving back to the community that I've used in the past few years, and getting involved in the actual coding of some Free software.

tomcheng76
November 21st, 2006, 02:56 PM
Hi, my name is Tommy, I come from China Hong Kong. I used Fedora Core before. As Ubuntu is quite hot in hk(easy to use), i give it a try, now i have to triboot system with fc6,edgy and windows xp(suck m$).
The impression of Ubuntu is fast boot, and have a good aptitude update GUI program.
As wine is becoming perfect, i seldom use windows xp now. I can even play counter strike on Ubuntu, Linux rocks!
As I am Chinese person and Japaneses learner, it would be great if the next version Feisty LiveCD will include the scim-anthy and scim-chinese when user boot to ja/zh locale Ubuntu using the liveCD. I used Reconstructor to build my one, however, i still want a official support with a desktop CD size.

viper
November 21st, 2006, 04:26 PM

michaeltrainor
November 21st, 2006, 06:13 PM
Proud convert from...ah hem...Win...dows. Everytime an Ubuntu bell rings, Bill Gates loses his wings.

I've finally finish a full conversion to Linux through UbuntuForums. It took two distros od Ubuntu, but I've completed the transition. I have a server (LAMP, NFS, and 3D Rendering) housing all my data, and a client that puts and MSbox to shame.

I thank all of you who have posted and answered. This community has done wonders for me.

THANK YOU!

Mirky
November 22nd, 2006, 01:49 AM
Hi my real name is Sam, I go by Mirky because I got the nick name in JR. High, it stuck. Eor aint got nothin on me...

I work in I/T I admin the TCP/IP for a large company, about 900,000 addresses, DNS and DHCP. To bad for me my job is going to India.

I love to fish all year, we ice fish in Minnesota, did I say I'm from Minnesota? Did now :-D I love the forests of Minnesota, Wisconsin, and the Upper Pininsula of Michigan. I like to camp, hike, and bike.
I like to read and dislike TV in any form nothing worse then TV it just aint right for some reason.

My hobbie is PC gaming, if I could get CoD2 to run on Linux I'd switch my gaming machine to Kubuntu.
My laptop is running Xubuntu because I like things to be quick. I have 10 computers running various OS's *******, Linux, OS/2, UNIX, and FreeBSD, I don't have a Mac, I don't know why but I don't.

Mirky.

Carlitus
November 22nd, 2006, 11:17 PM
Hello, i'm Carles Carbonell (Carlitus), from Spain (saludos).

I'm mainly a desktop user and graphic designer/illustrator. My past domain (for web and email) recently lost, don't search for ir, sorry.

Past user of Suse & Mandrake flavours, i used Mac OS X & Windows in the past 2 years. I recently back to Linux, and choosed Ubuntu (already used some times in ppc).

I'm really impressed with Ubuntu's fast upgrading, great support and documentation and educate people on that forum.

Also very satisfied with the desktop experience. Gnome is very fast. Desktop don't crashes as usual 2 years ago. The composer apps (cairo-clock, beryl) are impressive and more solid than i expected; they never crashed in 3 weeks on my machine!

At this time, i'm very pleased with Ubuntu Linux.

Grats, Ubuntu team. I wish to make something (as i did 3 years ago), maybe helping this project, or maybe not. Anyway, if you wish my collaboration, let me know.

regards,

carlitus

Adler
November 23rd, 2006, 04:47 AM
michaeltrainor,

Proud convert from...ah hem...Win...dows. Everytime an Ubuntu bell rings, Bill Gates loses his wings.

I like that one.

Adler

LOVEROFSACREDCHORALMUSIC
November 23rd, 2006, 04:08 PM
Dear Friends,

Greetings and a "Happy Thanksgiving" to all at the Forum specially those from the United States.

I am an Indian Catholic Christian of Portuguese Descent who has a keen interest in Sacred Choral Music, Early Rennaissance Music, Sacred Architecture, Classical Music, Country Music, and Sacred Art.

I am a Lawyer by profession with a keen interest in "International Intellectual Property Rights".

I learnt the Violin at a very young age and have been listening to Sacred Choral Music from the age of 7.

My favorite composers are Mozart, Beethoven, Palestrina, Tomas Luis De Victoria, Liszt, and Gounod to mention a few.

Regards,

RAV TUX
November 24th, 2006, 05:26 AM
Dear Friends,

Greetings and a "Happy Thanksgiving" to all at the Forum specially those from the United States.

I am an Indian Catholic Christian of Portuguese Descent who has a keen interest in Sacred Choral Music, Early Rennaissance Music, Sacred Architecture, Classical Music, Country Music, and Sacred Art.

I am a Lawyer by profession with a keen interest in "International Intellectual Property Rights".

I learnt the Violin at a very young age and have been listening to Sacred Choral Music from the age of 7.

My favorite composers are Mozart, Beethoven, Palestrina, Tomas Luis De Victoria, Liszt, and Gounod to mention a few.

Regards,

Welcome and Happy Thanksgiving!

Sefrin
November 24th, 2006, 06:37 AM
Hello everyone. I'm Mike from Southern Ontario, Canada.

I'm proud to say I started my computer career very young in a DOS environment on a 286 as my parents didn't know about Windows 3.1 and there was no chance I would know. Loaded up Quest for Glory 1 (VGA remake) and have been having a blast ever since. I remember being introduced to windows in a school computer lab where the teacher couldn't believe I didn't know what the minimize button was. Since then I've tried just about all the versions of windows except NT and ME. I've even done the summer IT job admining Windows Server 2000 and 2003.

I tried Debian two years ago but couldn't get into it, then a few months ago a friend suggested Ubuntu because she loved it and I can see why. I definitely have more control over my PC now, especially with my older hardware (can't afford or really need new stuff) and the troubleshooting isn't bad with such a great community! I haven't really posted here because I've been able to find everything I need with a quick little search. I thought I should register just to bring the member count up one more.

Thanks everyone!

UKPunk
November 24th, 2006, 01:50 PM
Hi everyone,
My real name is Dave and I live in England. The name UKPunk is a reference to my favourite band, Bad Religion.
I know absolutely nothing about Linux and look forward to learning how to use it. I've ordered the official book and am just waiting for it to arrive so that I can get started. I look forward to the day when I can ditch the big M completely.
I apologise in advance for posting any stupid questions, but I have so much to learn that there's bound to be one or two. Thanks in advance for your help.

naga123
November 25th, 2006, 08:38 AM
hi all,
I am new to this community. Iam doing my Engineering final year. I am using linux for the last 2 yrs. I have tried various flavours of linux. Now shifted to xubuntu. Everything is fine except sound:( . Hope this problem get solved in few days.

ervyxx
November 25th, 2006, 05:16 PM
Hi!

This is my first post at the Ubuntu Forums!

I had tried installing linux some years back but, something or the other always went wrong. Hence, I stopped my efforts.

Few days ago I came across Ubuntu and I don't know what but, I became excited about it. I'll soon be trying it out.

Looks like a great community here. :)

buddie
November 27th, 2006, 04:44 AM
hi,

one thing i love about ubuntu is the community behind it. finding answers are much easier than the old days..

the new gnome interface is much-much.. faster... i used linux in the past.. suse, mandrake, redhat, slackware and i have abandon them due to the sluggish interface that they have.

its been on dual booting for 2 weeks+ now, with wine and vmware installed, i hope i never have to boot windows again. :D

ubeauty
November 28th, 2006, 09:47 AM
Hi all, don't know what to say- which is good- cause I'll take up a lot of space saying nothing. Love Linux, love Ubuntu.

dragon76
November 28th, 2006, 10:32 PM
Dragon76 here. ubuntu user for about 2 months. M$ trained and M$ fed up](*,) . totally converted except a couple of proprietary progs that I can not replace. Oh, and wife won't let me touch her laptop. ;)

civilian
November 29th, 2006, 01:09 AM
Hi my name is Sebastien and I'm in love with Ubuntu

vitality-
November 29th, 2006, 03:32 AM
Hello. I've been a Ubuntu user for well over a year but I've finally gotten around to creating an account and will try to participate in the forums. I'm a full time Java programmer in my day job and also do graduate research in IT.

Cheers,
Jason

MonkeyWrench32
November 29th, 2006, 11:23 AM
From the day I was born, I took the bull by the horns, and gave you plenty to scorn, well right on! Then you said in a song that life was gettin' real tough, but hey I think that you're bluffing, what of it?

Introduce yourself (right on!)

Now two decades gone by and I know that's a long time, para tiempo means nada nunca. Cause I'm still the same ******* and I still wet my pants every time that I see your face (who are you?)

Hey Mr. Biggs, Hey Mr. Bestall, Hey Mr. Warner what's up?
Hey Mr. Enigma, Hey Mr. Bigtime, Hey Mr. Epic, what's going on?

FAITH NO MORE! :D

My name is Jon and I'm a recent graduate of Saginaw Valley State University in Computer Information Systems (still looking for a job). I've dual booted Ubuntu on two Sony laptops since 5.10 and have been running Edgy full time on my desktop for a few weeks (got two-way satellite internet finally). I still use XP Pro in VMWare when I need to play around in Illustrator.

This place rocks!

robconscient
November 29th, 2006, 04:03 PM
Hello everyone, I'm Rob.

Lifelong Windows user here - started with Win 3.1. I am what MS calls a 'power user', and in fact used to be an NT\XP sys admin! I got turned on to Ubuntu by a colleague, and just love the OS.

The forums are absolutely wonderful. I first installed Ubuntu 2 months ago, and have found every answer to my various config and application problems here. What a great community! I am so impressed. Once I resolve a few issues, I intend to drop Windows for good.

Re: the user name - while I am a freethinker, I'm also a subscriber to Buddhist philosophy, specifically the notion of 'mindfulness'. Conscient is the French translation of mindfulness, at least according to Babelfish! Plus it sounded interesting, so there you go.

On a personal note, I live in sunny Central Florida, love all things epicurean, will discuss religion and\or philosophy at the drop of a hat (but only if it stays civil!) and am learning to live my best, most authentic life possible.

Nice to be here, and I'm looking forward to interacting with all of you.

Cheers

Rob

Schenley
November 30th, 2006, 12:48 AM
I'm definitely in the minority here. I'm a retired female from Massachusetts and and humbled by the computer knowledge of most of you...but...because of a great program like Ubuntu and a very informative and friendly forum...I, too, can install a dual boot into my W2K machine...and did! Trying to learn commands is taking a little time, but so far this program is the most fun I've had on a computer since my MacPlus 20 years ago. Thank you all!

joeyjwc
November 30th, 2006, 11:33 AM
Hi. I have been an Ubuntu (or more specifically, Kubuntu) user for several months now and have enjoyed the experience thus far. I have it running on three of my computers, my main one, my laptop, and my testing system. I traditionally have used Linux only for server stuff and so forth (i.e. without a GUI), so I have some very good experience with Slackware.

I'm a general computer enthusiast, from graphic design to web design to general programming to just about anything else. I run a dual monitor setup with Beryl on my main computer, which allows me to put graphic design software on one face, web design software (Macromedia Dreamweaver 8) on another face, and several different browsers on the third face for testing.

I currently run Windows XP, Windows Vista 6000, Kubuntu Edgy, Kubuntu Dapper, and OS X on my computers and love them all.

I hope to pop in and out of here once in a while. My previous experiences with Linux (which, thankfully, are mostly good) have given me valuable insight into certain types of problems, especially regarding hardware support.

sailor2001
November 30th, 2006, 08:30 PM
as you can see. a sailor. actually an ancient mariner as I'm fast approaching the 80's..........have been on ubuntu for a year and wouldn't dream of moving off it... Computer knowledge consists of x98 and xp.. no knowledge of computers before that. Try to contribute to the forum whenever I can. Have a great xmas season

foldingthought
December 1st, 2006, 04:54 AM
Hi there,

I am very new to under the hood ubuntu. I am attempting to install a home based nfs server on ubuntu to connect with OS X and XP (eventually - some one else will sort those out) machines...

After taking a spin from the installation, I cannot for the life of me understand what happens next - I need a GUI - or steps mapped out. I have scoured the web, but there appears noting that will tell me - I can get up to invoking vi...

But yes, it is good to be finally utilising GNU/Linux and I hope as my skills develop I can assist in the future (write a reference guide)

Cheers,

Adam

TDB
December 1st, 2006, 02:04 PM
Hey All,

Thought i'd introduce myself. I first saw Ubuntu running sometime ago when a temporary work colleague installed Breezy on one of our machines.

I was impressed by the intuitive look and feel and although I have been in IT Support / Sysadmin (Microsoft only background) for 8 years, I was impressed to see that he flawlessly managed to get native windows applications running on it.

Never having worked on Linux before I am an absolute beginner, which in itself is quite exciting. And after the straw that broke the camels back with my home PC (XP) I made a decision to install Breezy on my machine (which I have now updated to Dapper) about a week ago.

I wanted somthing that worked out of the box, and quite accessible. But on the other hand somthing that I could get my teeth sunk into and broaden my IT knowledge when I have the time. Ubuntu I have found is perfect for what I wanted.

Everything worked out of the box (except some GL issues which I managed to resolve myself using a bit of dumb luck and a few forum posts, learning about installing drivers, what 'sudo' actualy was and changing the X GL settings to use it)My machine now runs like a dream.

I do play world of warcraft and that was one of the only reasons I was still running windows. After going through some of the very well written posts on this forum, thank you all! (and once I fixed my GL problems) I had a working copy of Wine and It was running WOW flawlessly.

And I know that my hardware is not exactly cutting edge, however it runs smoother now than it ever did under XP.

So to finalise, hello. I may ask really stupid, simple questions so please bare with me. I have also ordered the Official Unbuntu Book which should be arriving any day now (to cut down on those silly forum questions). I love the ethos that is built around the software.

Sorry for the long post
(One very happy Ex-Windows user) :mrgreen:

Titi
December 1st, 2006, 10:47 PM
hello all,
my name is maarten, my forum name is usually Ti, but since that didn't contain enough letters, i made it Titi. i know it sounds silly.
anyway, i think this is a great forum (and then i mean both really good and huge). it's been a very welcome help for me to discover linux, and ubuntu in particular.
so erm, see you around sometime :)

Lystrodom
December 1st, 2006, 11:04 PM
Well, this is my first Linux experience, basically got tired of Windows and its stupid security flaws, and had been thinking of moving to Linux for a while when a friend gave me a Live CD.

I'm a student, on the verge of starting college for Computer Engineering. The community for Ubuntu is amazing; a lot less guru-ish than I expected from Linux, which is a good thing.

zspada15
December 2nd, 2006, 04:26 AM
I am Zack, and Am 15 years old
Ive been using Debian-based distros since July of this year, and will never turn back.

Ubuntu is by far the best distro all around ive ever seen, and has THE BEST community of any distro.

I am my Linux guy, and i know a lot about computers.

I have been using computers since Snowball (yes thats Windows for Workgroups 3.11), was considered reasonably new technology, Before windows 95 for you n00bish folk.

Anyways, im not afraid to answer anyones linux questions, or windows questions, so dont be afraid to email me, or aim me.

My contact info is in my profile. Please don't spam, I spam harder :evil:

viper
December 2nd, 2006, 04:28 AM
Welcome zspada15 gr8 to have you onboard :)

December 2nd, 2006, 07:39 AM
hi guys, im dave and im from ohio!

happy to be here :KS

ujjwal
December 2nd, 2006, 07:51 AM
Hello, My name is Ujjwal, and I am from Delhi, India. I am a computer engineering student and have used linux for a few years. I use Ubuntu dapper drake on my laptop. I am interested in seeing a user friendly linux distribution for older hardware and I am quite interested in the xubuntu project. I hope to contribute someday in whatever way I can.

Cheers!

cos4
December 2nd, 2006, 11:20 AM
Hi. I'm Henning(17) from Germany and my nick refers to cosinus alpha. I found this forum when I was trying to fix an (upgrade(6.10)) problem. I'm using Ubuntu since the beginning of this year. Some years ago I tried Mandrake but turned back to Win but Ubuntu is really great especially the community.
I like slim windowmanagers like Fluxbox, console applications but also graphical stuff like FF of course.

I think thats it, if you have questions just ask.

jan-h
December 3rd, 2006, 01:54 AM
Hi I'm Ian. Just discovered Ubuntu and liking it a lot. If this isn't the future then it damn well should be.

Adler
December 3rd, 2006, 02:46 AM
Just discovered Ubuntu and liking it a lot. If this isn't the future then it damn well should be.

Ian,

The name of the game is Openource, and Ubuntu is the OS to run with!

Adler

gunbuster
December 4th, 2006, 02:34 AM
Hey Everyone!
I have been trying to get into Linux for several years now, but due to the difficulties with getting hardware to work I never stuck with it. I have been using Ubuntu for about a three weeks now since finding a stack of the CDs sitting on the shelf at my local computer shop.

I am so impressed with how easy it is to use that I am running it on one of my laptops, and converted one of my servers from Windows to the x86 64-Bit version. Good times!

jmagsho
December 4th, 2006, 09:29 PM
Hello Everyone,

Been running Linux for 2 years now. Used to be a Fedora guy, but once I installed Ubuntu I was sold on it, and it keeps getting better!

finferflu
December 4th, 2006, 09:41 PM
Hello!
My name is Emmanuele and I'm originally from Rome (more or less), but currently living in the UK, working towards my BA in Religion and Theology at the University of Manchester.

I've learnt about Linux when I was in high school, but tried it only years later, in 2005. I had a quite slow machine, a Celeron 600Mhz, 64Mb RAM, with WinME and it was a nightmare. So I just contacted a friend to help me install it, and I ended up with VectorLinux, a distro based on Slackware. The first thing I've learnt was to compile a new kernel, in order to make my ndsiwrapper work... well, not really a beginner's start... I then decided to try something more user friendly on my laptop, and tried Knoppix as LiveCD, but I ended up installing it. Having many troubles with the Knoppix HD install, I've chosen Ubuntu, due to his fame as the most user friendly distro. With Ubuntu I managed to get rid of Windows forever, and so, here I am!

Hope it was not too long :)

wakalapi
December 5th, 2006, 04:10 AM
Hi I'm Jim, I live near the Yakama Indian Nation (a nation within a nation) in Yakama Valley, southern central Washington in the northwestern USA. I teach a group of American Indian ("Native American", "First Nation", et al) boys powwow drumming and singing, and I run some powwow- and native- oriented websites.

I recently installed Kubuntu (Ubuntu + KDE of course) on my Gateway 400VTZ laptop. Best Buy had RAM on sale so I upped from 256MB to 768MB and bought my laptop an 80GB hard drive. Other distro's I've tried and had success with (so far) include PCLinuxOS 0.93a, Mandriva 2007, SimplyMEPIS 6, and I've also tried DesktopBSD and PC-BSD. Kubuntu/Ubuntu is among my top three faves and is probably what I'll stay with simply because:

Installation and configuration was simple as pie.
The repositories contain a wealth of both bleeding-edge and stable/proven software.
Mostly, Kubuntu/Ubuntu is among the most popular distro's in the world and that means a very big participating community of writers/testers.

I first tried Linux on a computer back around 1999-2000. There was an early edition of Slackware (I still have in a box around here somewhere) and of Red Hat. Installation was complex, the "wizard" asked me what looked to me (a non computer geek) like highly technical questions about my hardware and whether I wanted some doodad to perform X or Z. Not knowing the consequences of X or Z and not having the time to try both and do everything over several times, I eventually gave up after playing around with it. TODAY things are different. Installing many of the popular Linux distro's, including Kubuntu/Ubuntu, is easier even than upgrading MS Windows. Hard drive size is determined and a sensible "default" partition geometry is decided, hardware is detected and configured, all automatically. Linux has long emerged from the pocket protector and slide rule crowd and is fast becoming the mainstream operating system for home and business computers. It's all a matter of time.

Oh yes, almost forgot ... 1986 Accord 200k+ miles and still going strong.

loserboy
December 6th, 2006, 12:45 AM
Hi, my name's Mike, i'm from Pensacola, Florida.
I've been around here for a little while and have learned only just enough to install dapper on both my parents computers and mine at work, and i dual boot edgy/xp at home. So far everyday since switching to linux i have a little smile on my face when i see ubuntu boot up (specially with the edgy splash, it's fancy).

my 1st experience with linux was when you could buy a copy of redhat (i dunno what version) at Officemax. I was about 13 at the time (im 22 now) and thought i was a leet hacker and should of course use it, after a painstaking install and trying to read the 5 inch thick manual i realized i wasnt ready yet so my hopes died for a while till i saw dapper and so here i am (still not quite the leet hacker).

and to keep in the flow - 2002 Audi A4Q 3.0 6spd

ddbann
December 6th, 2006, 02:02 AM
my name is david from western canada. i am new to linux and ubuntu was the first linux i ever installed. i did it our of nessecity and now i like it out of choice. when i get a new computer i think it will be a linux i will put on it. most likely ubuntu. i can't say i have tried other linux distro's but ubuntu is doing all i want to do online and it has a great community support. bye for now

velkymx
December 6th, 2006, 02:21 AM
Hey there! I am VelkyMX - a new disciple to Ubuntu as my primary desktop. I am a web developer from Los Angeles - and a lover of all things technology.

mitchbones
December 6th, 2006, 06:17 AM
Hello, I am mitch from Texas! I am in highschool and a recent convert to Ubuntu (and Linux). I am starting to get into Programming and Computer Networking.

Chinkostu
December 6th, 2006, 02:47 PM
Hi, i'm stu. i can't remember if i posted here. i am intrigued by computers and how they work, and have been using ubuntu for a few months now!

Guitar John
December 8th, 2006, 04:19 PM
I just ordered the installation cd. I'm here to learn as much as I can before I do the installation.

EVERYBODY I've talked to about making the switch to a Linux OS says I should either stick with Windows or switch to OS X....which just makes me more determined to do this. There's something about going against the flow that has always appealed to me.

I'm a musician and most what I'm setting up this computer for is music related. I eventually hope to dump Windows completely.

FWIW, the computer in question is a Dell Dimension 4700 with 160 GB, Pentium 4 2.80 GHz, 504 MB Ram.

vincentvee
December 9th, 2006, 04:32 AM
FWIW, the computer in question is a Dell Dimension 4700 with 160 GB, Pentium 4 2.80 GHz, 504 MB Ram.

that system should be fine to install to, dunno why you're worried, and as for installing OS X...why?
hope you install ubuntu and enjoy it as much as i do, it is a great OS and there is plenty of recording options for it
the key is to have patience, it is not the same as windows so don't expect it to work the same and you will be fine, it works how it is meant to work, the user has to adapt to it

Guitar John
December 9th, 2006, 10:16 PM
that system should be fine to install to, dunno why you're worried, and as for installing OS X...why?

I don't even know if it's possible to install OS X in my Dell. The folks who are trying to push me toward OS X are basically suggesting that I buy a Mac.

Cheers,
GJ

mpampix
December 10th, 2006, 12:32 PM
Hello everyone, I am Harris from Athens (Greece). I am mathematician (well I have just gratuated). I plan to continue my studies in computer science (a second BS.c let's say) and just a week ago I completely removed windows from my hard disk.

smyrna_photon
December 11th, 2006, 06:35 AM
hi folks

i've just now made the full switch from winxp to ubuntu, courtesy of some vmware magic! initially had some trouble but the major kinks are worked out now, and i couldn't be happier.

... i have been lurking silently around these forums for a few months now and figured i should at least post to introduce myself! : )

i am working on getting my whole family up on ubuntu so i figure i'll start posting more often.

anyways -- hail, fellow ubuntu-ians!

samjh
December 11th, 2006, 03:24 PM
Sam, from Australia.

I was a former Windows user, and tried Ubuntu 5.10 last year. I had to go back to Windows due to compatibility issues, but have installed Ubuntu again (6.06 this time) with a dual-boot setup.

I have a degree in computer science and have always liked to tinker with technical stuff, so fiddling with Linux suits me fine, even though it can get a bit frustrating. But it's still smoother-running than the bad old days of MS-DOS and Windows 3.1. ;)

Nowadays I do a lot of legal documentation, so I wanted an OS that was fun and stable at the same time. Vista was too expensive and burdensome on hardware, so I looked for a relatively user-friendly Linux distro and found Ubuntu.

Jimmie
December 12th, 2006, 01:03 AM
Hello everyone,

As you can tell by my UN, my name is Jimmie. I live in Shawnee, KS and I have just recently tried out my first Linux platform; Ubuntu. I hope to be here often and learn as much as possible about it.

dorcssa
December 12th, 2006, 01:06 AM
Hello everyone,

As you can tell by my UN, my name is Jimmie. I live in Shawnee, KS and I have just recently tried out my first Linux platform; Ubuntu. I hope to be here often and learn as much as possible about it.

What country is KS? No offense, I really don't know. :)

By the way, I'm from Hungary, and I'm using ubuntu just about 2 months, and I really like it. :D

Jimmie
December 12th, 2006, 01:43 AM
What country is KS? No offense, I really don't know. :)

By the way, I'm from Hungary, and I'm using ubuntu just about 2 months, and I really like it. :D

My apologies, I should have worded it more clear. I'm from Shawnee, Kansas, USA.

dorcssa
December 12th, 2006, 01:45 AM
My apologies, I should have worded it more clear. I'm from Shawnee, Kansas, USA.

That's different. At least I know where USA is. :mrgreen: (And heard about Kansas too I think :p)

Adler
December 12th, 2006, 01:53 AM
And heard about Kansas too I think

dorcssa,

That is where Dorothy, and Toto are from. Have you ever seen the movie -- The Wizard of Oz -- http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0032138/ -- LOL!

Kansas is in the American Mid-West.

Adler

dorcssa
December 12th, 2006, 01:59 AM
dorcssa,

That is where Dorothy, and Toto are from. Have you ever seen the movie -- The Wizard of Oz -- http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0032138/ -- LOL!

Kansas is in the American Mid-West.

Adler

I know the story, only the location I don't know. ;) USA is so big, with so many big cities. :D

mand0
December 12th, 2006, 03:03 PM
Greetings,

This will be my first time playing around with Linux alone. Two of my friends, who are proficient in Linux ,helped me install Gentoo and Kubuntu but we kept having problems. After going back to Windows for a while I decided to try again but with Ubuntu. Looking forward to learn and explore on my own.

Oh and I currently live in Virginia, USA.

dorcssa, I've went to Budapest a couple of years ago; I loved it. My favorite night was at a 5 story nightclub, I think it was called 'Bank'. Sound familiar ?

dorcssa
December 12th, 2006, 03:09 PM
Greetings,

dorcssa, I've went to Budapest a couple of years ago; I loved it. My favorite night was at a 5 story nightclub, I think it was called 'Bank'. Sound familiar ?

I don't go to partys very often, but I heard about Bank, it's very popular here. :D

blakeatl
December 12th, 2006, 10:55 PM
Hi, I'm Blake from the Atlanta area. I took linux up in one of my IT classes and it kicked my a**, but now I want to get away from Windows as it's too much of a pain. I have Ubuntu 6.10 and it's really amazing. I hope you guys don't mind all my questions if I don't find it in a search.

johan@
December 12th, 2006, 11:04 PM
Hello,

My first posting on this forum, I'm from The Netherlands en start working with Ubuntu form last august this year.
My main distro is SUSE from 1996 till today :)
I hope to stay with Ubuntu for the same periode as i work with SUSE.
And hopefully i will learn a lot about Ubuntu on this excellent forum.

gh0st
December 12th, 2006, 11:23 PM
Hi,

I'm Dan and l'm from Liverpool in the UK.

I'm a programmer and web developer. I work primerily in .NET(don't hate me :-)) but I am learning Ruby and hope to use it from now on. I'm also a musician and I play a few instruments but I suppose the bass is my main one.

I have been playing with Linux on and off for a few years now but since finding Ubuntu I have made it my main OS and I don't even dual boot Windows anymore, I just use VMWare instead. I kept a Windows partition for a few months but never booted it so I reclaimed the disk space :-)

mykalreborn
December 13th, 2006, 02:53 PM
good day. i'm victor from the wonderful country of romania. :D
i've been using linux only since august this year, but i never looked back.
ubuntu was my first distribution. i found it after doing a couple of tests on the net o what flavour i should choose. unfortunately i had a few problems with my graphics card and i had to download other distributions, but after downloading, using and installing mandriva, opensuse, fedora core, kubuntu, i returned to ubuntu. it's just way better.
i fixed the problem with the graphics card. actually i disabled 3d acceleration for my ATI radeon 9200 pro, because it just didn't work :D
yesterday, i finaly gave up on windows - i've been using dual boot before. lately i got a lot viruses on that primitive windows xp so i formated the hard-drive.
now all i have to do is convince my undexterious father to use this os. i was thinking of telling him this is a new version of windows, windows linux, and it's a whole lot better. lol

oh. and some other stuff than computers. i play the guitar. i played flamenco for a while, but now i'm done doing that, and started playing some steve vai-ish stuff.
and i like to talk a lot as you can see, allthough this is nothing :D
and that's about it.

sh4d3z
December 13th, 2006, 03:24 PM
aight i suppose it is due time for me to introduce myself...
i've been using these forums silently for the last few months for there was no need for me to input anything as ery q and answer i've had was already said...
my real name is nic and i been inot computers only for the last two years... and linux only for the last nine months... in that time i have gained a ridiculous ammount of knowledge
i first heard of this distro in june and thought i'd try it out as a dual boot with ******* hex p... i have yet to log on to that sys since i've installed dapper except when i screw with grub just to make sure i can log on...
i am really enjoy this flavor even though it is almost nothing like what i am using at school sometimes (fc and redhat)... okay, i shut up now and get back to what i do best... lurch in the shadows...

-nic

viper
December 13th, 2006, 04:36 PM
Welcome :)

budgie9
December 13th, 2006, 04:39 PM
Hi I'm David. I have been playing with computers since 1980, so I am probably one of the 'old guys'. Having started with some early computers, prefering to have control, again, of MY computers, I came to Linux, starting with Suse and now having converted to Ubuntu, due to the Novell Msoft 'merger'.
Other interests are model railway/railroading and woodwork.

Nopposan
December 13th, 2006, 09:57 PM
Hi, I've been messing around with Ubuntu and SuSE for a couple of years now. I'm no expert though. I'm interested in using Linux to make "trailing-ege" hardware delight and amaze. Specifically, I'd like to start installing Linux on used computers that otherwise would end up in the trash heap or recycling bin, then give those computers to folks who wouldn't otherwise be able to have their own home pc. The folks I'm thinking of are (living in the U.S.): children and adults from economically stressed families, college students who can't afford a shiny new laptop, mental health outpatients and those who are physically disadvantaged. (Healthcare and government agencies are increasingly using the internet to distribute their information; it's ironic that those who most need this information may be least likely to have easy access to it.)

I see good hardware thrown out all the time. I've proven to myself that 166MHz and 128mb with at least a 2gig hard drive (or maybe a flash memory device) is enough to install a Linux OS that can do just about anything the average computer user would like to do; i.e., surf the internet, write papers for school or work, read pdf files, fill out forms, read e-mail, internet chat, share photos, play music, etc. Even lower spec. hardware is also possible if you go with a lightweight windowmanager instead of a full desktop. I like, Xfce though; it's easier for those who might be a little computer-shy. Xubuntu looks very interesting and I'm trying it out (again).

flimflam
December 15th, 2006, 07:19 AM
At the behest of KMandela, I am going to introduce myself. I am from Long Island, New York and am 2 years removed from the US Army.

I have a degree in Computer Information Systems, and am an Economics major at New York University (http://www.nyu.edu), and a Finance major/Computer Science minor at Queens College (http://www.qc.cuny.edu). Yeah, double whammy. Lots of coffee and little sleep. I pay the bills with my modest pension and web dev/design.

I have a Mac and plenty of Windows machines. Kind of a hardware/gamer junkie. Lots of cooling fluids and excessive gpus in my systems. However, I don't have much time to game. Apparently I didn't have much time for my girlfriend and her son as they bolted on me 3 months ago. It's fun being back to Bachelorville.:rolleyes: :mrgreen:

Anyway, I am happy to be here, and hopefully I can become a contributing member soon, but if truth be told, I am a Linux noob with disparate pieces of info on Linux. Most of it comes from being force fed Unix in the classroom.

Humbled, honored, and glad to be here. I hope you guys can stomach my twisted sense of humor.

ashleycrue
December 15th, 2006, 07:43 AM
I'm Ashley,I've playing with Linux for a few months because I was bored with xp and 3 months ago I tried Dapper which soon got installed on my lap top cos I got on better with it than anything else.Then when 6.10 came out I tried it as a live cd but with in days that ended up on my main pc as a dual boot.
I'm paid to make jigsaws and I'm also a part time Archaeology student.

Korandder
December 17th, 2006, 08:40 AM
I started using Linux a little over a year ago, starting with fedora 3. I have Scientific Linux both in labs and at my last coop job (grid computing). After messing up fedora 4 install by accidental doing rm -rf in /usr I decided to try Ubuntu. I am a physics student.

broekskw
December 17th, 2006, 09:11 AM
hi my name is keith, have been into computers for some time,all windows base,just know enough
to get buy, i have a home base computer repair fixing computer for friends and anyone who finds out about me (44 years old)(most people running windows base have no clue what you need and what you have to have running to prevent windows from crashing) just got sick and tired of virus scans,spywar scans defraging etc.found out about linux base system from my magazine i read so thought i would give it a try(have 2 spare computers running ubuntu 10.6) have to say it is diff but exciting to explore and learn new things. and yes this site rocks:cool:
it's not to late for an old dog to learn new tricks :mrgreen:

Tuna
December 18th, 2006, 12:58 AM
Hey, I'm new here so I figured I'd post up in this thread. I'm in Minnesota and I'm a student studying computer engineering. I'm new to Linux as of a couple weeks ago, but thanks to these forums I've been learning quite a bit over that time. I only have a couple posts because I've found almost every answer to questions I've had by using search, Anyways, happy to be part of such a great community, and so far I'm loving Ubuntu. I rarely boot up in Windows anymore. :D

Cyvros
December 18th, 2006, 07:29 AM
Oh, buggery. Now I notice this.

Hello. I'm Jordn (my name is not Cyvros and I am not Greek) and I was brought up on a steady diet of AMD and Windows. My brother is an MCSE these days, but I remember a few years ago, after we came back from a film with some of his Uni mates, him and his friends (all in computing) were looking at at Linux mag. My brother pointed to a screenshot and said, "Now that's an OS."

I've probably made that all overly and ridiculously melodramatic, but it stuck with me... vaguely.

I've been actually using using Linux since May/June after hearing all the Goobuntu rumours. I looked up Ubuntu and ended up getting 6.06 LTS. I now also have Ubuntu 6.10 and Xubuntu 6.06 on CD (as well as two versions of PCLinuxOS and PuppyLinux - I also have an old three-CD version of Red Hat which my brother got years back at Uni).

I'm a keen user and downloader of FOSS (especially cross-platform apps) and I like quiche. Just thought I'd mention it.

And here's my bragging point - if you Google up my moniker, every entry will lead to me. :D

I live in Melbourne, Australia, have just finished my third year of Uni (Arts/Science double-degree) and am trying to learn C and BASIC at the moment.

And so I think I've rambled on long enough. Really great place you have here, too.

Roman78
December 18th, 2006, 01:28 PM
Well hello,

My name is Roman, 28 years young and from Holland.

My first computer was an EACA Genie I (1.77 Mhz). Than later an Amiga 500 (almost 8 Mhz) and in the 90's my first PC (486 33 Mhz). And now i have couple PC's and Mac's (one running windows for games :D ) And the rest is running Apple OS9/OSX and some linux/BSD distro's. Than i discovered Ubuntu and i liked it. It's user-friendly and good looking.

demonhunter
December 18th, 2006, 02:20 PM
Hello,

My name is Vinícius and I'm a Java/C++ programmer. I used Debian in my last work, but since I used Breezy for the first time I never got out of Ubuntu Distro. Nowadays I use Dapper and I'm waiting for next LTS release to upgrade. I hope we can help each other and learn a lot together. :)

Thnx,

TechnoPenguin
December 18th, 2006, 03:56 PM
Hi, I'm from Finland, and changed from Win2k to dual-boot Ubuntu few days ago. I've messed with computers since '95 and I've had no bigger problems in substituting Windows with Ubuntu. I've tried moving to Linux now three times, first with an obsolete Spectra Linux, then with a complicated no-go SuSe, and now with Ubuntu.

I have 3 PC:s now, a desktop (Win2000/Ubuntu), laptop (WinXP) and a server (Win2000), and I'm planning to install Linux in all those, keeping my desktop as the only dual-boot system.

I've found these forums very helpful, any question I've had about Ubuntu/Linux in general has been solved thanks to you guys here.

jpoRS
December 18th, 2006, 08:56 PM
Hey!

My name is Jim, and I am dead new to Linux, never even touched the stuff until earlier this month, but I think I am starting to get a hold of it. I using only Ubuntu on my only computer, mainly because I don't think Bill Gates needs my 200 dollars. I never really cared about computers, so I appoligize in advance for really daft questions, especially if it means I have to do something in Windows, I am even more lost there.

So yeah, Hi!
jim

RandomJoe
December 18th, 2006, 11:21 PM
Hello, I'm Joe from Oklahoma City, Oklahoma, USA. I have a BS in Electrical Engineering Technology, and work with building automation systems, which primarily means the control systems for heating and cooling large commercial buildings. That lets me work with both the hardware and software side of things.

Unfortunately the "programming" I do at work isn't really what I would call programming - more of a light-duty scripting language. I dabble with "real" programming on my own. I am currently getting serious with Python but have enough knowledge to be dangerous in C/C++, Perl, TCL/TK, and Ruby.

"I don't do Windows!" -- I use that phrase more and more lately. I started using Slackware back around 1994-95, and finally purged my personal machines of Windows by 1997. I occasionally tried Red Hat or Mandrake, but was otherwise 100% Slack until about a year ago. Now I have Ubuntu as my desktop OS, but still like Slack for everything else.

neaolin
December 21st, 2006, 12:11 AM
Dan, 34, male. I'm from the US, but have been living in the UK for 16 months now. I lead a small team of technicians. We administer a small system (mainly Windows, Cisco).

OK, enough of the small talk. I've been a Linux fan for a few years now. I've done countless installs and I've tried about 7 or 8 different distros. Ubuntu is my favorite, but I also like Mandriva and Fedora. I have a programming background, but nowadays my programming is limited to script writing.

I would like to get into an open-source project sometime and contribute to the wonderful world of Linux. As of now, the only thing holding me back is motivation. I'll eventually get sick of thinking about it and jump into a project one day. I actually started a flashcard program (using Eclipse/Java/XML). I haven't touched it in about a month, but I should get some time here in about 3 weeks to work on it some more. I believe in quality code, so it should be rock-solid.

For now, XP is my main OS. I've tried to switch completely to Linux, but work requirements are too dependend on Windows (booooooo). Hopefully one day, I'll be free of Windows.

benjjo
December 24th, 2006, 08:01 AM
Hi, i'm Benjo and im from the deep west of Australia. I grew up in the country music capital, not quite the outback back certainly just as backward, a small city called Tamworth.
When i was about 12 i got my first look at a computer, it was my friends C64 and baby did it rock! So naturally i had to out do him with my Amiga 512 (fully pimped out to 1mb of RAM).
On that note i wanted to say hello to you all and especially Roman for his nostalgic reminder.

Well hello,

My name is Roman, 28 years young and from Holland.

My first computer was an EACA Genie I (1.77 Mhz). Than later an Amiga 500 (almost 8 Mhz) ....

Ive now escaped from the insanity that comes from long term abuse of forced coutry music and i now live in Melbourne where ill be studying Computer Systems at Tafe. I'm sure your going to hear alot of newbie stuff come out of me soon. Cheers, happy to be a part of the forums.

c.dric
December 27th, 2006, 07:08 PM
hey all

i'm a 32y old web/graphical designer and computer geek from belgium.

my first experience with computers dates back to the 80s ...
The Thomsom MO5 (http://old-computers.com/museum/computer.asp?st=1&c=868), the Amstrad Spectrum with cassette recorder (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Image:ZX_Spectrum_Plus2.jpeg) and the early Macintosh (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Image:Macintosh_128k_transparency.png) were some of the computers i've used.

In the 90s ... i've worked exclusively with windows. 3.1, 95, 98 and finally win2k.
(i don't wanna talk about it)

i started experimenting with linux around the year 2000 ... red hat & debian at first then suse but none of them worked well enough with my hardware (usb tablet & modem)

around 2002 i tried gentoo, all my hardware worked and from then on i've used linux exclusively on all my computers.

although i still like gentoo and i've learned a lot while using it, i was getting annoyed at the time it took to simply update the package db and i wanted to spend less time maintaining/compiling my systems so i tried ubuntu a few weeks ago and i've already switched all my computers :D

arkangelisk
December 28th, 2006, 03:20 PM
Hello Guys,

Im sul, 27 years old, a Filipino PC Technician working at an Internet Cafe here in Brunei. This is my first day installing Ubuntu on a PC and it works very fine. I know there's a lot of things to read / study about this free operating system and im glad to see this forum is open for hungry minds like me. Thank you in advance for the sharing. ;)

gholen
December 31st, 2006, 09:27 AM
Hi everyone!
My name is Ambjörn and I'm 22 years old.
I started using Linux as main OS back in 2000, and since then, It's has been my main OS. That time, i had a great old Thinkpad (bb, you are missed) witch was running Windows 98SE, and as a letter on the mail, it began to really screw things up. I was getting desperate, asking for something else, and one of my friends told me to install Linux. At that point, I was sceard for Linux, but, taking the risk, I put my laptop in his hands hans said, "do it". He installed Slackware, and of we were. Things that i wanted to work, battery, sound etc, started working.

I was hooked. After Slackware, there were Red Hat, Slackware again, and Ubuntu, I have used ubuntu as my Main OS since 4.10, and so it has been. I'm pretty conservative regarding ubuntu, and all of my boxes exept my laptop are running Dapper, since I don't look at Edgy as stable. The laptop are running Edgy, but during this day, I'll throw it out, hoping for something better in Feasty.
My dad also uses ubuntu, dapper in his box too, as i told him he'd be good at it, and what do you know. His pushing 60, and does have control over ubuntu as well as the terminal :mrgreen:
I love ubuntu, and ubuntu seems to love me. Oh, and the thing in dapper I dont like, is the irritating habit of not seeing my swapfile :twisted:

depele
December 31st, 2006, 11:01 AM
Hi

I am a 20 years old student from Belgium.
Computers are my biggest intrest for about 5 years now.
I used win98,win me, xp. But now I am testing linux, ubuntu is one of my favourites, because it is easy to use.
@ home I am a bit like the local administrator. I have got three brothers and sisters and 2 parents who are realy non computer lovers. But always ask me questions.
So I decided to install a domain (win3k). ==> now I am looking to make al win3K alike server but it must be linux. And it isn't easy to find enough replacements for linux so I can control the windows pc like I do now. (parents won't change their os.)

But that's it on computer level.!

Everyone a nice 2007

grtz...

summer of 69
December 31st, 2006, 11:25 AM
Hello everybody,
I am new at this forum but am already a member at the dutch ubuntu forum since 01/08/2005
Being 54 years old I started to use computers in 1980. Not proffesionaly but mearly as a hobby.(excuse me if I make mistakes in th english language - native language is dutch :-D
Being tired of M$ operating system I decided earlier this year to seriously explore and study linux os, and I must say it's great !
I have tried several distros on a older machine (amd 350 mhz - 65 Mb ram.) which I have upgraded now to 328 Mb. -
xubuntu 6.10 Edgy Eft is running on it and it works wonderfull !
My work station runs on Win2K (amd 1.5 Ghz - 512 Mb ram) but I am planning to build a new system in the spring, In the end I am planning to use Win only offline for games. If anyone has more questions, feel free to ask ;)

ion one
January 1st, 2007, 12:30 PM
hey everybody!happy new year from romania!i'm new 2 like everybody in this thread :mrgreen: :mrgreen:

Skidpad
January 2nd, 2007, 01:13 AM
Happy New Year everybody! n00b user here. I just installed Edgy on this laptop over the weekend after having played around with the LiveCD for a couple of weeks. I've been around computers since the early/mid 80's, but I'm not a programmer or anything, I just enjoy tinkering with them and always seem to get asked to fix my friends ******* disasters.

I credit my MaximumPC subscription with giving me the nudge to try Linux, based on their recent article that profiled Knoppix, Gentoo, Ubuntu, and showed me the LiveCD way. I've now passed along a cd to one of my coworkers. as well.

My Edgy installation was not without hitch however, but I am now up and running (dual boot w/XP to keep my wife happy) on this 3 yr old Compaq laptop. So far, so good for the most part. I have a Logitech MX610 mouse that I need to configure a couple of buttons on (already found several threads on it), and I can't seem to mount my Windows (hda1) partition, but the important thing is...I am up and running.

Thanks for all of the good info on these forums, good to be here and off the Microsoft train...even if it is baby steps and lots of questions for now. :D

yoshida
January 2nd, 2007, 12:51 PM
Happy 2007 all.

I'm not new to Linux (used and messed up Mandrake over five years ago, then tried SuSE) and I've been using Ubuntu for over a year (since 5.10, think it's Breezy). It was a dual boot with xp until I got this old laptop (800 mhz) from work.
6.06 lts (dapper) ran just about fine on it, but 6.10 wouldn't even boot from live cd. So I decided to run 6.10 LAMPserver with fluxbox instead, which runs pretty smooth. (in fact, the major reason to not actually host sites is my internet connection).
I'm planning to build a new pc within the next few months, and run 6.10 AMD64 on it. (or 7.04? Who knows...)

Thanks Ubuntu for your hard work, Thanks Automatix for automating a two-hour tweak session and thanks all Ubuntu users for feedback & dev.

daning
January 2nd, 2007, 01:09 PM
hi, everyone.

lokeey
January 2nd, 2007, 04:38 PM
hey all! I've been a linux user since the 5 dot days of Red Hat. I was converted last year to Ubuntu and haven't looked back since. I'm currently using Edgy at home and at work I started using Dapper which is also on my colo'd server.

aodhon
January 3rd, 2007, 12:59 AM
Hey everyone.

My name is Hugh and I live in Dublin.I have just made the switch to ubuntu from XP and have found this forum extremly helpful already.

emgener
January 3rd, 2007, 03:25 PM
hey there guys/gals.

Jason here, a linux user from years ago that switched to mac OS and has now made the switch back. a friend introduced me to this site, and it looks like it's going to be a TON of help.

kexodusc
January 3rd, 2007, 03:36 PM
Hi all.

Yet another newbie here - been using Ubuntu (and some Kubuntu) for about a month now after Windows Genuine Advantage produced a false positive and Microsoft support accused me of pirating my legit copy of Windows (this, after Windows had some problems after converting from FAT 32 to NTFS). I was furious and decided it was time to detox myself of Windows.

Pretty happy I did. Great site - it's been a huge help many times already.

sween1911
January 4th, 2007, 03:53 PM
New Guy, checking in!

Hello. My name is Joe and I'm a 30-something year old Senior Programmer who is just now going over to the tan side of the force! :)

Our main PC at the house is about 10 years old, upgraded Win95 to 98SE and is on it's last legs. We have been thinking about getting a new computer, but since money doesn't grow on trees, I offered to take my father-in-law's old XP machine after it died. I tried installing Windows a few times, but it kept crashing. Needed new hard drive. Put in an old 20G drive that a friend had laying around, and brought out the Ubuntu CD that a friend of mine made for me.

It's just nice to install something and have it just work!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Anyway, I was playing with it last night, trying various media files, installing with the package manager and getting a feel for it.

I look forward to browsing on here and getting to know everyone!

Thanks!

-- Joe

ErikTheRed
January 4th, 2007, 09:37 PM
Hi my name is Erik, I'm currently 19 and enrolled in college. I live in the suburbs in Illinois, and attend college at Purdue in Indiana.

I've been using Kubuntu since Breezy Badger. Before that I was mainly using Windows but muddled a bit with Linux, Gentoo was my first Linux experience and it was quite horrifying. I finally settled on Kubuntu due to Ubuntu's awesome community.

Last month I actually moved all of my machines to Kubuntu, which worked for me for a while. But I'll admit I'm a gamer at heart, so I had to switch back to doing a dual-boot with Windows. I still love Kubuntu but until there's more commercial-grade games on Linux it looks like I'm stuck dual booting.

I also bought a Zune recently (please don't hurt me!). I've enjoyed it very much so far, but I'm peeved that it doesn't work in linux as of yet (I guess they introduced some new things that aren't covered under libmtp yet).

I've been on the forums for quite a while, but I thought it'd be time to introduce myself.

~Erik

finer recliner
January 5th, 2007, 12:26 PM
hey everyone,

i'm dave. i'm an undergraduate computer engineer dual majoring in electrical engineering. i've played with unix/linux plenty on the school system, i finally got around to installing it myself on my computer. i currently dual boot with windows xp.

my experience with ubuntu so far has been awesome. i'm in awe as to how much the community helps each other out and contributes to various projects. very impressed.

keep up the good work everyone

RAV TUX
January 6th, 2007, 12:14 AM
hey everyone,

i'm dave. i'm an undergraduate computer engineer dual majoring in electrical engineering. i've played with unix/linux plenty on the school system, i finally got around to installing it myself on my computer. i currently dual boot with windows xp.

my experience with ubuntu so far has been awesome. i'm in awe as to how much the community helps each other out and contributes to various projects. very impressed.

keep up the good work everyone

Welcome!...and I really like your Speed Racer avatar.;)

Coop
January 6th, 2007, 05:04 AM
Hello

I'm a 15 year old Pakistani Linux user named Ahmed.

I first read about Linux in a Pakistani science magazine called Sci-tech world.

Since then,I first tried Breezy Badger,and after that Dapper Drake,and after that and right now I'm using and loving Edgy Eft.

I also love cartoons,especially Marvel ones like Xmen,and anime like One Piece and Yugioh.

I also love Star Wars.

My favourite cartoon is Megas XLR,which you can read about here http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Megas_xlr

The main character,Coop,is my avatar and my forum name.

I also love Hi Hi Puffy Ami Yumi Show.

I would love to hear from more Pakistani Linux users.

If you want to add me to your contacts,especially if you're a Pakistani,you can see my email addresses in my signature.

Regards Coop

wersdaluv
January 6th, 2007, 03:30 PM
Hi everyone!

I'm Allan, a 17 year old Linux newb who was stuck with Linux because when I was trying to make this laptop dual boot with Linux and Windows XP, I accidentally deleted my XP OS.

I have big dreams. One of which is to customize Ubuntu completely to the point that it would look like a new OS built just for me.

I love this community so much because people give a damn to my problems even if they don't have to. I hope that this community can grow and people will treat other members warmer. :)

rudder
January 7th, 2007, 07:02 PM
Hello, my name is Chris. I am a Network Admin in RL where I am forced to stare at boring old Windows desktops and servers all day long.

deRusett
January 7th, 2007, 07:13 PM
Hello

my Name is deRusett
I have been a linux lurker for about 6 years after trying Mandrake 6.1 I believe, have played on and off with it since then, more recently SUSE and Mandriva 10.x, and Yoper Linux.

but after much reading about ubuntu, I figured I'd jump aboard, ubuntu will be my server. no matter how long it takes me to get it running, I am determined to start the migration away from windows.

I'm from Ontario Canada
Drive a Firefly, and Caliber
25 years old.

noobie extraordinaire

Li-Golfer
January 7th, 2007, 08:07 PM
Whew,
Hi, I am brand new to Ubuntu and having fun(?) finding my way about. Where might I go to seek some guidance?

eivi
January 8th, 2007, 04:13 PM
Hello,

I am a 22 year old norwegian guy who suddenly got my eyes opened to linux and ubuntu. I just had to make sure I got my laptop all set up before I told my friends :) And thanks to the excellent help posts in this forum!

Anyway, it gives me a good feeling not to be loaded with a pirated Win XP etc..

geek_Man
January 8th, 2007, 07:41 PM
Hey, everyone, I'm geek_Man (in case you hadn't noticed). I joined the Light (Ubuntu ;) ) Side a couple months ago and I love it. I've also been a member of the forums for a while and have found that it's a great source of info. I just saw this thread, so hello to all new Linux (even if it's not Ubuntu) users and see ya around to all the vets!

Mike Carter
January 8th, 2007, 08:18 PM
Hi, I'm Mike, I'm 19, currently studying Computing at College.

Iv recently become interested in trying different Linux Distributions, especially Ubuntu. I ordered some CD's from that ShipIt thing and gave my friends some of the CD's, one is going to switch from Windows to use Ubuntu full time, and another moved to it fully over the Weekend :D

As well as using Linux I have been involved in the RISC OS community for the past year.

maino
January 9th, 2007, 06:39 AM
Hello, everyone.
This is my first post to the Ubuntu forum, and rather nervous about it.

I have been reading and searching the forums for a couple of months now, and that has already solved a lot of problems.
I just wanted to say thank you to all those who take the time to answer questions... You are helping others like me that didn't have the courage to ask.

stueyboy
January 9th, 2007, 07:13 PM
Soooo

Thought I might say hello and confess that until Friday last week, I was a Linux virgin. Thought I would give it a go as I had used Unix in the dim and distant past and found that Ubuntu is really a sweet OS, much less stodgy than XP which I use on my work laptop.

I thought I would be just doing the default stuff but curiosity and these forums helped me to get over that and I now have side button functionality on my intellimouse working and even an early version of beryl working with my ATI card which I have to say is one amazing GUI. I am liking it a lot!

Cheers

Stu

Kossilar
January 10th, 2007, 07:44 PM
Hello, I'm Kevin and I just installed and used Linux for the VERY first time a few days ago.

Its difficult as hell to get things working the way you want. But I love it and I'm here to stay.

Thanks to all the people who offered advice to n00bs like me and filled the forums with valuable "How To" info.

Its much appreciated.

Kyleth
January 10th, 2007, 07:47 PM
Heya, my names Kyle and I'm currently 15 in year 10 at school.

I'm a bit of a self confessed computer nerd and usually draw or play guitar and bass. I have strong interests in computing, art and Music.

I'd like to say thanks to all the helpful people on this forum who take the time to answer peoples questions.

I'm currently in the process of downloading an Ubuntu install CD :]

Severa
January 10th, 2007, 08:50 PM
Hi, I'm Severa. :)

I'm a 30 yr old wife, mom of two sons ages 7 and soon to be 10 (where does the time go?) We live in Maryland, where my husband is a V22 Osprey mechanic for DynCorp.

I've always liked messing with computers ever since elementary school. Did some piddling with DOS and Basic in HS. I've put together a few home computer networks for friends and family and at one point went to school for A+/Net+/MCSE, but it fell through and now I'm a stay at home mom. I JUST switched over less than two weeks ago, completely wiping my HD of Windows and going with Ubuntu. Having a great time of it!

euler_fan
January 11th, 2007, 01:42 AM
Hello everyone,

I'm Jason, and switched to linux because I'm in college and need to learn *nix to do applied work. Ubuntu seemed like a good fit, so here I am!

Das_Geist_Linux
January 11th, 2007, 06:38 AM
Hello my name is Chad.

I am a somewhat new to the linux community and the operating system as a whole. I am 25.
I made the switch 2 months ago with Open Suse 10.1 i was very pleased!!!! I work as a computer tech and currently working with Sabayon and Ubuntu....I just installed unbuntu on a customers laptop and i was amazed that it was so flexible and the ease of the installlation with the execption of the broadcom wireless card...:D....I deal with WIndows on a regular and enjoy coming home and reading and learning about linux and all the different aspects of this great alternative to windows.....well hope to talk to some of the more knowlegable linux users in the future.....

asmodeos
January 11th, 2007, 07:20 AM
Hey!

I'm Bryan, a Chef by trade. I went to school for compsci, but life led me elsewhere. With windows vista on the horizon, I decided to give ubuntu a shot. It has gotten so much of the love Mandrake received for ease of use, and beryl videos just turned me on.

Success! Easy install on an X2. Beryl looks so sexy! I'm leaving windows as a dual boot just for games. Otherwise, you've got me linux. Time to get back into development!

Linux is really maturing nicely. Good job everyone!

millguy
January 12th, 2007, 02:04 AM
Another "better learn linux now before I can't avoid vista" user here. I installed 6.1 on my thinkpad T60 early last week. Took two evenings, and after it looked to be stable I also put in on my little fanless ITX box that I use to run my stereo as well. After trying and failing with redhat 6 some years ago I was shocked at how (relatively) easy it went on both systems.

At the same time it would have been impossible without this forum and others like it. Such a powerful resource. It's nice to be able to rely on places like this as a "crutch" to get a stable setup and then dive in and learn at my own pace.

My laptop is dual boot, although I'm already down to using windows for watching TV (my USB TV device is not supported by myth TV) which I don't do very often anyway and the software for my GPS unit (which I may give a run at with wine).

truthfatal
January 12th, 2007, 09:01 PM
Hi there, I'm Nelson. I'm 26 years old and am not taking any computer sience classes, although it'd be nice to in the future.

I've been using Linux for almost two years now. I like Ubuntu and Slackware. I play the drums and bass guitar, and I'm slowly lerning six string guitar. I also really enjoy reading - I'll read pretty much any book put in front of me.

Yeah, so there's my introduction.
EOF

zerhacke
January 12th, 2007, 09:07 PM
The details of my life are quite inconsequential... very well, where do I
begin?

My father was a relentlessly self-improving boulangerie owner from Belgium
with low grade narcolepsy and a penchant for buggery. My mother was a
fifteen year old French prostitute named Chloe with webbed feet. My father
would womanize, he would drink. He would make outrageous claims like he
invented the question mark. Sometimes he would accuse chestnuts of being
lazy. The sort of general malaise that only the genius possess and the
insane lament.

My childhood was typical. Summers in Rangoon, luge lessons. In the spring
we'd make meat helmets. When I was insolent I was placed in a burlap bag and
beaten with reeds- pretty standard really. At the age of twelve I received
my first scribe. At the age of fourteen a Zoroastrian named Vilma
ritualistically shaved my testicles. There really is nothing like a shorn
scrotum... it's breathtaking- I highly suggest you try it.

dorcssa
January 12th, 2007, 09:21 PM
Huh, I had to use the dictionary more than I used to when reading the forums..starting with the first sentence. That alone proved to me that you're life is odd. :D About one word I'm not sure, scribe means letter, am I right?

truthfatal
January 12th, 2007, 09:32 PM
The details of my life are quite inconsequential... very well, where do I
begin?
<snip>

How's Scott? Is he an Evil Vet yet?

MrJackdaw
January 14th, 2007, 07:55 PM
Or does he still work in the Evil petting zoo?

My name's James, I drive a Nissan Micra - Voted the ultimate........granny car.

I'm converting to Ubuntu after many years of windows use, watching it fill up machines with wasteful goo.

I teach mathematics at a secondary school and am, gulp, 36 years old. Look younger though,

Currently I am learning to swim.

Wartooth
January 14th, 2007, 11:49 PM
Well, I've made a few posts, I guess I may as well jump in here...

I came to Linux via Ubuntu as I've been wanting to see what it's all about for ages now. My husband brought home a couple of retired emachines sans-HDs and accessories about a week or so ago as he knew I'd enjoy fiddling with them and throwing some of our spare parts at them.

I picked the 'lesser' of the emachines as my Ubuntu tester (the other I am going to put together for a friend who needs a computer), threw in an old 30GB HD and off we went. I have no clue as to what I am doing. None whatsoever. However, I feel that XP will be my last Windows version. XP already annoys me, Vista sounds like it will just plain be unpleasant for the likes of me (yes, I'm aware it's mostly rumor at this point), and I also just like learning and exploring new things. So, here I am Ubuntu-ing. :)

Um, what else...

I'm a gearhead, listen to tons of different forms of music, but especially enjoy the many flavors of heavy metal (seeing Amon Amarth listed in official Ubuntu 'how to' examples warmed my heart!) and progressive rock. I like listening to my shortwave radios, caring for, annoying and being annoyed by the 6 cats of the house. Oh, and if any native German speakers would like to harass me into doing my language lessons more often and practicing, please feel free. :D

My husband and I have a couple of CNC machines (3 axis vertical mills for those interested) and are self-employed.

And I typically drive an 87 BMW M6, 85.5 SVO Mustang or an 85 Mustang GT, but have many more from which to choose because of that blasted gearhead infliction that possesses me as well as my husband.

I believe I shall stop my rambling now. Sorry 'bout that O_O

:)

rabid9797
January 15th, 2007, 04:22 AM
first, let me say, i was suprised to see how many adults are using ubuntu(or linux in general), and within this the amount of families or family members that browse these forums/using linux(see above post for example?) i honestly thought most of the linux community was made up of young people(teens, <21), mostly because all the adults ive met in my life so far are pretty computer illiterate....

well, about me:

I'm 16, currently employed at Atlanta Bread Company, but run my own computer and network solutions makeshift company out of my house for the locals.. I started on computers when i was 7 and have working up through progressively more advanced systems(started with a win95 pc running 30MB of ram! wooo!!)

im currently running a dual-boot XP/ubuntu edgy eft tower with two monitors and a hell of lot of wires sticking out from underneath my desk.. ive been running ubuntu for about half a year now and really am starting to enjoy it.

i hope to make a mark in this community and stay with ubuntu for a long, long time :mrgreen:

liam_mor
January 15th, 2007, 08:42 AM
Hello all,

my name is Jude. I'm a Taurus and I like long walks on the beach.....

I just installed Dapper Drake on a Sony Vaio PCG-GR370 laptop. I haven't tested everything yet, but I can say my CD worked and played some music, so that is a start.

I have no idea about Linux or Ubuntu or building computers or nothing, I just know that I am fed up with XP](*,) , and so here I am.

I hope to add to the community just as soon as I'm up and running.

Thanks!:D

....and I usually keep smilie faces to a minimum :rolleyes: :rolleyes: :rolleyes:

liam_mor
January 15th, 2007, 08:46 AM
...oh yeah,

I have a dual-boot with xp. The sony comes with a C and D partition on a 30gb hard drive, so I just wiped off the D using the xp disk management system.

everything i have spoken about so far was unknown to me a week ago, so thanks to the users here for the info!

irish_flu
January 15th, 2007, 09:23 AM
Hi folks.

Long time lurker, first time poster.

I'm 31, male, and I live in Indiana USA. I'm a systems administrator for a software company. I telecommute from my house.

I'm using Edgy right now, I used Dapper and Breezy before that.

My Ubuntu box is a Dell Demension 8200 with an NVidia Geforce 4 4800 Ti, 3.0GHz P4, 80GB HD and 1GB RAM.

Normally I build my own workstations, but my nice home-brew has Windows XP on it, and I like to use them both at the same time (no dual-boot for me). The Dell was $200 at my local University's "surplus store", and I just couldn't pass it up; crap, I couldn't build something with that spec (at the time) for that kind of money. I bought it because the ancient box I was using for Breezy was driving me insane. I have a 19" CRT hooked up to it and left-hand-setup Logitech trackball (because that was the only spot on my desk that had the room).

Please note: when I say "Like to use them both at the same time" I mean using my Ubuntu box for web browsing, email, IM, and work while I play games on the Windows box. :-D

I've been a computer "enthusiast" for about twenty years, and have been working in user support (back in the day) and systems administration (now) for a little over ten years.

Growing up I used the TRS-80, the Apple II, the early Macs and my personal favorite- my Tandy 1000 TL/2 running MS-Dos 3.3.

My work has been with mostly Mac OS (7,8,9,X) and Windows (desktops 3.1 thru XP and Servers NT4 thru 2003), although I do have one Red Hat mail server at my job now. Ubuntu is the first Linux distro I've actually used (more than "played with") at home.

Anyway a few days back I decided I wanted to use Beryl, and after so many times finding great How-To threads and various fixes and whatnot here, I had to register and join in the fun.

Without this forum I'd have never got my NVidia drivers working, my trackball set up to scroll, beryl, heck all kinds of stuff.

Cheers,
Irish_flu

dorcssa
January 15th, 2007, 01:49 PM
I'm 16, currently employed at Atlanta Bread Company, but run my own computer and network solutions makeshift company out of my house for the locals.. I started on computers when i was 7 and have working up through progressively more advanced systems(started with a win95 pc running 30MB of ram! wooo!!)

It's really nice, but what about school?? You're only 16, and you're running an own company?

rabid9797
January 15th, 2007, 05:39 PM
oh, well, not really a company, more a place of business. guess i really didn't make that clear. i have ads in the local newspaper and flyers and such setup around the local area with my phone number and i converted out basement into a rudimentary workshop(i have tons of spare parts and junk computer parts) and i upgrades, fixing, diagnostics, etc. I also go to the home of the customer to these things and setup networks, wireless and wired, but charge more.

so its more like freelance computer contractor? i don't know what i'd call myself, its just to make a bit of money on the side:cool:

but yes, i got to highschool, i do the computer business in my spare time, its not a real job.

timpino
January 16th, 2007, 03:53 AM
Hi my name is Tommy, I'm from Sweden.
I am at this moment 21 years old, and planning on living atleast till 25, unless alcohol poisoning takes me :)

I'm currently studying something called Industrial Economics, which is exactly as dull as it sound, at Sweden's largest University called Lunds Universitet.

I have used Linux in an on again off again relationship since ~2000, and I think my first ever distro used might have been RH 8.0 or maybe Slackware 8.0, eitherway slackware was the one that stuck.

I cought interest in Ubuntu about the time of the 5.4 release and ordered some shipit CDs, unfortionately at that point I did not find it a good enough replacement for Windows XP. After that I chilled with Ubuntu and Linux in general until the release of 6.6LTS which I promply installed and used to much joy side by side with XP.

After getting a SATA drive windows would not install (not XP, not server 2003, not Vista) so I chose Ubuntu 6.10 as my desktop and absolutely loved it, although I must admit, not having any games did tickle my "All work and no play makes Tommy a dull boy"-nerve. But then it happend, the PSU died and I was without a computer for two solid weeks before I could borrow this laptop from a friend of mine, at first I thought about a dual boot, but later settled back into old habits of Windows, mostly because I needed to get to work quickly to deliver a couple of projects, and had no time to get it all working :)

Now as I no longer need Windows, this laptop is not meant for gaming, I'm again thinking of moving to Ubuntu, but won't really get my *** out of the cart. Hopefully though I will get to it this weekend :)

irish_flu
January 16th, 2007, 06:59 AM
Hi my name is Tommy, I'm from Sweden.
I am at this moment 21 years old, and planning on living atleast till 25, unless alcohol poisoning takes me :)

It takes a lot longer than that, trust me- I've been experimenting. :mrgreen:

AdrianDeb
January 16th, 2007, 09:54 PM
Hello Everyone my name is Adrian,

I live in Folkestone Kent UK

I have been using linux for 3 years (about) with dual boot windows
but in the last 4 months my xp disc turned into a frizby and I'm only using ubuntu

Adrian

creigscofield
January 17th, 2007, 12:59 AM
Hello, my name is Creig. I am 20 years old and hail from San Antonio, Texas, USA.
Prior to ubuntu my experience with Linux included Monkey Linux and Demi-Size Linux (or Damn-Small Linux). I was restricted to these minimalist distros because I was on dial-up. It took nearly 6 hours to download the 50 mb iso for DSL. Then I saw a copy of Linux Format magazine that came with ubuntu 6.06. I have since got broadband, downloaded edgy and installed it on both my computers, and am in love with my new os. I must say that the forums here are the best I've ever seen, and very helpful to n00bs like me.

boywander
January 17th, 2007, 01:52 PM
Again, hello world. Name of Nick, live in Oxfordshire, UK and I use the handle everywhere. New to any 'flavour', but happy to learn. :)

Crossbow
January 17th, 2007, 07:25 PM
Hi y'all. I'm new to Linux/Ubuntu and computer illiterate.

Let's see... I'm 39, live in Minneapolis, currently working in the financial industry although I'm being laid off in April, at which time I'm going to take up painting and writing full time.

You'll see a lot of stupid questions from me because not only am I computer illiterate, I jumped into Ubuntu without knowing anything. My Windows XP got killed by viruses, and the guy I bought it from couldn't find the boot discs, so I was forced to find and install a free, user-friendly OS really quickly. I still have a lot to figure out.

I know I've used other operating systems, since I've been using computers since before Windows was invented, but I couldn't tell you the names of any of them except OS2 Warp, which is pretty much the same as Win.

Was just reminiscing with my friends about how amazing it was when they came out with computer monitors in AMBER instead of green. Heh heh. Anyone else remember that? 8)

MrJackdaw
January 17th, 2007, 11:50 PM
I remember going round to a friends house to see his green screen Amstrad and being amazed! :)

My first experience was with a Sinclair ZX Spectrum. It cost my Dad a whole weeks wages, including horredous overtime. Good times.

OS/2 Warp was foul, as I remember?

Crossbow
January 18th, 2007, 12:57 AM
I remember going round to a friends house to see his green screen Amstrad and being amazed! :)

My first experience was with a Sinclair ZX Spectrum. It cost my Dad a whole weeks wages, including horredous overtime. Good times.

OS/2 Warp was foul, as I remember?

I don't know what exactly my first computer-using experience was, but it the thing was like the size of a refrigerator. I believe the PC had been invented, but no one had them - this was the math department computer at the local university. My father was friends with a math professor who decided to try to teach us kids to program. I sucked at it.

OS/2 never gave me any trouble, but there must have been some problem with it because my company didn't keep it for very long. Maybe one year.