PDA

View Full Version : Okay now I'm mad

Simulationcity
October 19th, 2006, 03:38 AM
About 4 hours ago I found this site on google by typing "Linux" into the box. I went to downloads page and clicked on "Canada" then I got this huge list of files with no explenation about what they're for. Anyways I clicked on one of the iso files. 3 hours later it finished downloading and I burned it to the CD with Nero and when it finished I restarted the computer with the CD in the drive. I had set the CD to boot before the hard drive and svaed the BIOS and restarted. The CD reads the disk that Windows XP loads! I check this forum and I found out that I downloaded the wrong 700MB ISO file. I walked downstairs and handed my mom the CD and said, "Do you want a free coaster?"

:evil: :evil:

I spent 3 #@%@*^% hours downloading the wrong file because there was no explenation what the file was for. If I wasn't charged by the minute for my internet connection I wouldn't be as mad.

bswilson
October 19th, 2006, 03:51 AM
So, you're mad at the Ubuntu community and mad at Linux because you didn't know what you were doing? Perhaps you could have asked someone here in the forum for help; we would've gladly helped you understand which ISO image to download. In addition, you can request a free Ubuntu CD-ROM to be shipped to you in the mail, so you can avoid Internet charges completely.

Please consider giving Linux and Ubuntu another chance. Your bad experience notwithstanding, I think you'll like what Ubuntu has to offer you.

szf
October 19th, 2006, 03:54 AM
About 4 hours ago I found this site on google by typing "Linux" into the box. I went to downloads page and clicked on "Canada" then I got this huge list of files with no explenation about what they're for.
It's not clear what you were trying to achieve. If you were trying to install Ubuntu - then typing "Linux" into a Google (*.ca or otherwise) searchbar can return *anything*...

There's a chance that the Ubuntu community let you down, but I favor that you simply didn't do your due diligence before the action.

mssever
October 19th, 2006, 04:14 AM
For some reason the Canadian mirror doesn't give information about what to download. In the future, I suggest using one of the United States mirrors, which give some explanation of what you need to download.

Buffalo Soldier
October 19th, 2006, 04:19 AM
I spent 3 #@%@*^% hours downloading the wrong file because there was no explenation what the file was for. If I wasn't charged by the minute for my internet connection I wouldn't be as mad.

Okay now I'm mad. If there was no explaination, then why did you download something without knowing what it is?

fuscia
October 19th, 2006, 04:22 AM
complain to ubuntu. this is just a fan site.

d3v1ant_0n3
October 19th, 2006, 04:27 AM
Complain to google.ca It's clearly their fault.

jdodson
October 19th, 2006, 04:31 AM
About 4 hours ago I found this site on google by typing "Linux" into the box. I went to downloads page and clicked on "Canada" then I got this huge list of files with no explenation about what they're for. Anyways I clicked on one of the iso files. 3 hours later it finished downloading and I burned it to the CD with Nero and when it finished I restarted the computer with the CD in the drive. I had set the CD to boot before the hard drive and svaed the BIOS and restarted. The CD reads the disk that Windows XP loads! I check this forum and I found out that I downloaded the wrong 700MB ISO file. I walked downstairs and handed my mom the CD and said, "Do you want a free coaster?"

Dude, I am mad at you. Seriously, I am super upset. I am so mad I am in a rage of biblical proportions. Biblical. God "plague and wrath" stuff here people. Now I am not God, but this anger is pretty up there. Its like about as high as you get when you slam something on your toe and it was your fault but your dog is looking at you and you are like "I WANT TO BLAME IT ON THE DOG!"

Thats how mad I am at you. And its your fault because I clicked on this post and I had no idea what it was you were mad at and after I did that I read what you had to say and it pissed me off. Pissed me so off that I write really long sentences and poor English grammer. Thats pretty upset yo.

And I would be less mad if this were not a Internet cafe and I am paying by the hour... oh **** times up, but I am still mad!

K.Mandla
October 19th, 2006, 04:32 AM
Wow. I didn't know Canadians got mad.

aysiu
October 19th, 2006, 04:41 AM
Sounds to me as if you just didn't burn the ISO as a disk image. You probably burnt it as data.

Here's a HowTo on burning ISOs as disk images in Nero (http://ubuntuforums.org/showthread.php?t=111589&highlight=nero+image).

RAV TUX
October 19th, 2006, 06:09 AM

Complain to google.ca It's clearly their fault.

I think you should blame the Google Algorithm (http://www.google.com/technology/) and there damn PageRank™ system. In fact you should contact the founders Larry Page (http://www.google.com/corporate/execs.html#larry) and Sergey Brin (http://www.google.com/corporate/execs.html#sergey) directly and let them know your mad and demand a full reimbursement of your Internet cafe fee.

Stupid Google Algorithm!:mad:

most important, refer to aysiu's kind advice and link here:

Sounds to me as if you just didn't burn the ISO as a disk image. You probably burnt it as data.

Here's a HowTo on burning ISOs as disk images in Nero (http://ubuntuforums.org/showthread.php?t=111589&highlight=nero+image).

Your welcome to ask us for help anytime before you attempt this again.

~LoKe
October 19th, 2006, 06:13 AM
Pay by the minute for Internet that takes 3 hours to download a 700MB file? Are you running off a cellphone or something?

LoclynGrey
October 19th, 2006, 06:25 AM
Whats there to be mad about, it's only life and you are only human.
Just laugh it off and carry on.

BuffaloX
October 19th, 2006, 07:07 AM
Just checked the dowload links.
And it seems that for canada there is no descriptions about the files.
I tried several other download locations, and they all had descriptions.

Next time try to pick another download location.

That said, the filenames are pretty describing. So how was your image wrong?
They all can boot, except if you download for the wrong CPU, which is clearly stated in the filenames.

In windows I personally prefer to use CD burner XP pro, which is absolutely free, and has no problems burning bootable images.

I wish you better luck with whatever you try next. ;)

KiwiNZ
October 19th, 2006, 07:27 AM
I t was probably cheaper to go down to your local magazine shop and buy one of the many PC mags that has Ubuntu on the cover CD.

And having said that lets finish this huh