PDA

View Full Version : all hail the bloat!

fuscia
October 19th, 2006, 03:20 AM
when i was still using my old desktop, i used openbox, dillo and sylpheed-claws (though, now, i think i'd dump it for pine). regularly, i would comb synaptic looking for stuff to uninstall. but, since i got my laptop, i've become a fan of installing not just the main course, but all the garnishes as well. as soon as suse hits 10 cds, i might be dumping ubuntu and installing suse instead. (i could use a pina colada right about now.)

coder_
October 19th, 2006, 03:34 AM
Good luck on SuSE 10, although I wasn't a particular fan of it... To put it nicely. I think they screwed up SuSE 10.1 (especially the packaging), and I think the 9.x series, IMHO, I think was a lot better and more stable. 10.1 64 bit is so unresponsive under KDE and slow (And happened to slow down if I did a rectangle select on the desktop, it went very slow doing that for some odd reason). So, not my favorite ;) But good luck with it anyhoo. Have fun. :o) Hope you like it.

Kindred
October 19th, 2006, 03:36 AM
I can't relate, I love keeping a light system.. Openbox and the bare essentials.. no Gnome or KDE libs etc.

Enjoy though.. (You'll be running KDE right?.. :D)

fuscia
October 19th, 2006, 03:46 AM
i was joking about suse, but i do have gnome, kde, xubuntu, e17, openbox, icewm and window maker all installed, plus as many of their silly apps (wmmoonclock? wtf?) installed as i could stomach.

Bezmotivnik
October 19th, 2006, 03:54 AM
i do have gnome, kde, xubuntu, e17, openbox, icewm and window maker all installed, plus as many of their silly apps (wmmoonclock? wtf?) installed as i could stomach.
But...why?

I wish I was informed enough to locate and purge every single meg of unneccesary and unused junk on all of my computers. :(

fuscia
October 19th, 2006, 04:04 AM
But...why?

more junk to play with, i guess.

jdodson
October 19th, 2006, 04:15 AM
All hail the ability to run non bloated code by chosing a less feature rich window manager! Which is great, being able to run icewm, fluxbox, whatever, I dig on the features of Gnome and can handle the abstraction layers that come with it.

Its all in what you can handle. I have friends on XFCE and we still can get down and have a beer together.

Kick ***.

Tomosaur
October 19th, 2006, 11:25 AM
I recently tried out XFCE (not Xubuntu, I just downloaded the latest XFCE release) and I really, really like it. I prefer Gnome over KDE, but in reality I never use the panels or anything. I generally alt-tab between stuff, I use the terminal to launch (most) programs. XFCE's right-click to do stuff really appeals to me, and it's a lot prettier than fluxbox (which I also like).

ixus_123
October 19th, 2006, 01:01 PM
I loe the bloat on my desktop machine. I have applications for everything - even things I don't need just incase, at some point in the future, I may need them & my internet connection might be down.

My latest addition is Gourmet recipie manager - I'll finally be able to eat healthily & it will find me things to eat if I tell it what ingredients I have. Excellent! I have it 2 weeks, got over a thousand recipies & am still eating the same old tosh :(

...But I like the fact that I have such a useful tool

TheMono
October 19th, 2006, 01:13 PM
That's exactly it... I like the fact that, if I wanted to I could immediately access a recipe for gourmet tofu ostrich.

I probably never will, but if someone breaks into my place waving a gun demanding gourmet tofu ostrich, I may well be able to save my life.

fuscia
October 19th, 2006, 01:19 PM
That's exactly it... I like the fact that, if I wanted to I could immediately access a recipe for gourmet tofu ostrich.

I probably never will, but if someone breaks into my place waving a gun demanding gourmet tofu ostrich, I may well be able to save my life.

someone who eats tofu and ostrich together, is probably going to kill you anyway.

mono and ixus, have you guys ever tried vym? (no relation to vim.)

ButtonMasher
October 19th, 2006, 01:22 PM
Bloat is fun. If you have the machine and the storage, why not? On my bro's new SUSE install we went through and installed everything that looked somewhat interesting. We got a program that made little penguins run around his open windows. How cool is that?

mdsmedia
October 19th, 2006, 02:37 PM
someone who eats tofu and ostrich together, is probably going to kill you anyway.

mono and ixus, have you guys ever tried vym? (no relation to vim.)

I just started using Vym....and I still can't work out exactly what the h*** is the idea of it, but I read about it or something like it in Tux magazine and I thought..."self" i thought..... "lets give it a go".

I'm a newbie....only been using Ubuntu for ...sh*t it's 12 months... but the number of FREE packages that are available, and I mean AVAILABLE!! If you read somewhere about some package, you can just install it. I UNINSTALLED konversation the other day...ohh the freedom.... simply because I have something else and don't need it.

BTW I use Gnome as my default desktop but installed KDE desktop out of curiosity, and I have Kontact to organize my life.... another package that you can't find an alternative for on that other OS without paying for it... and I just love it. When I have some time I'll go exploring and install some of the stuff Fuscia mentioned. Until then, I'm more than happy to use my regular Ubuntu with a few chosen packages and a little KDE. Isn't choice wonderful?

My Name
October 19th, 2006, 04:40 PM
I loe the bloat on my desktop machine. I have applications for everything - even things I don't need just incase, at some point in the future, I may need them & my internet connection might be down.

My latest addition is Gourmet recipie manager - I'll finally be able to eat healthily & it will find me things to eat if I tell it what ingredients I have. Excellent! I have it 2 weeks, got over a thousand recipies & am still eating the same old tosh :(

Where did u find that gourmet recipe thing???

I could do with that...

bonzodog
October 19th, 2006, 04:41 PM
nah, can't stand the bloat myself.

I have an AMD64 3000+, and am running Zenwalk Linux, with xfce and openbox as wm's. I use Openbox and my wife uses Xfce.

Zenwalk only comes with what they consider the 'bare essentials' - one app per purpose. No IRC oob, just gaim, and just firefox, no network tools.

They are proud of the fact that the ISO for it is kept below 400MB.

I have used in total, just 12GB of my entire Hard disk, which is 160GB. I have 1GB of RAM on this machine as well, and it's something if the processor actually turns up out of cool'n'quiet mode.

maniacmusician
October 19th, 2006, 05:25 PM

That does sound quite useful...wanna serve up a link? or will you make me google? :p

ixus_123
October 19th, 2006, 05:41 PM
Get it here

http://grecipe-manager.sourceforge.net/

& you can google for meal master recipies, write your own etc

here's a site to get you started
(no need to unzip - gormet will import the zip files)
http://www.madsrecipes.com/

fuscia: I had seen that fym software before. It reminds me of the spidergrams we used to draw at school. If I hada essays to plan I might download it but I really don't think I'd have any use for that.

Even though I don't use half the programs I have I like to think that sometime, someday, I just may ;)

fuscia
October 19th, 2006, 05:55 PM
ha-ha! i'm insane! i just spent most of the morning dumping everything but gnome. hey! now i can install it all again! woohoo!!!1;)

towsonu2003
October 19th, 2006, 06:24 PM
as soon as suse hits 10 cds, i might be dumping ubuntu and installing suse instead
hehehe lol
I'm sure it will ;)

omns
October 19th, 2006, 06:51 PM
:

darkhatter
October 19th, 2006, 07:08 PM
I think when the new debian comes out I'm going to do a FULL install.