PDA

View Full Version : Community based shipit alternative?

bobbybobington
October 19th, 2006, 01:54 AM
The problem:
As most of you know, alot of people seem to have trouble getting shipit cds due to lack of approval for their orders , long shipping times etc... Shipit also has their own problems of idiots ordering hundreds of cds and hoarding/smashing them. In this situation canonical looses a little since they can't ship as many cds, and users loose a little because of the issues stated previously.

The Solution?:
So how about we make a community CD shipping service for those of us who want to ease strain on shipit? Of course it wouldn't replace shipit at all, but would be more convenient for those who don't need "official cds", have slow internet etc... CD hoarding could be prevented by keeping tabs on and getting folow ups via forums etc... Descent standards would have to put in place, so they have a coherent apearance and good quality.

Is this a good idea?

%hMa@?b<C
October 19th, 2006, 02:06 AM
in theory, yes
in practice, no

I wouldnt mind sending out a few cds, but it would be kinda weird to have some stranger with my address.

aysiu
October 19th, 2006, 04:54 AM
Yes, there are weird privacy/trust issues involved with just having anyone send you CDs.

I think people should just deal with ShipIt as is, download the ISO, or buy the DVD from Amazon or another reseller. Or make a friend who has broadband and a CD burner.

Bezmotivnik
October 19th, 2006, 06:18 AM
Yes, there are weird privacy/trust issues involved with just having anyone send you CDs.

I think people should just deal with ShipIt as is, download the ISO, or buy the DVD from Amazon or another reseller. Or make a friend who has broadband and a CD burner.
Yeah, you're right.

I don't get it: You're going to need broadband to download all the additional proprietary stuff and updates anyway, plus the install program wisely checks for program integrity, so just download the .iso and burn it.

Where's the crisis? :rolleyes:

BuffaloX
October 19th, 2006, 10:55 AM
I think it's a cool idea, but how would you organize this?

I wouldn't mind sending a couple of CD's to people without broad band connection.

ixus_123
October 19th, 2006, 12:57 PM
I have broadband but still needed a shipit CD as do many many Apple mac users becuase for some reason teh PPC version wot boot from a variet of CDRs even when used with different burning softwares.

I tried burrning rom Ubuntu, in gnome, gnomebaker, K3B, puppy linux, some iso burner for XP linked from the Puppy site & both Apple os X's own burning tool & Toast for Apple all with different CDRs and not one would boot.

x86 will burn no problem but there is an issue with the Mac - I was glad for shipit - I doubt any communtiy burn CDR would have been much use to me as it would likely have been burnt on a home system too.

aysiu
October 19th, 2006, 04:36 PM
I've had no trouble burning PowerPC Ubuntu CDs from ISOs. I've done it in both Mac (using the Disk Utility) and Ubuntu (using the context menu).

meng
October 19th, 2006, 04:40 PM
And the community-based Shipit would avoid the OP-mentioned troubles ... how?