PDA

View Full Version : The Feisty Fawn

Engnome
October 18th, 2006, 10:54 PM
https://lists.ubuntu.com/archives/ubuntu-devel-announce/2006-October/000212.html

I like the name... the new theme for the the next version promises improvements in important areas. :) Nice going Mark!

What do you think?

Anonii
October 18th, 2006, 10:56 PM
So this release will be made out of eye-candy and hardware support.
Not bad and I bet that it will get Linux some new users too.

NoTiG
October 18th, 2006, 11:02 PM
hey....... how long ago was that post made? I added Fawn to the ideas list on the wiki about an hour ago and didnt know about this!

edit: actually i did it a few hours ago. but cool nevertheless

zachtib
October 18th, 2006, 11:21 PM
/me opens /etc/apt/sources.list and changes all "edgy" to "feisty"

Bring on the breakage!

jsmidt
October 19th, 2006, 12:00 AM
Here it is: https://lists.ubuntu.com/archives/ubuntu-devel-announce/2006-October/000212.html

~LoKe
October 19th, 2006, 12:05 AM
Yes, we've all heard of it as you've said; so why are you telling us again?

bobbybobington
October 19th, 2006, 12:40 AM
I like the name ^_^. Nice to see some more eyecandy (or at least making it easier)

llamakc
October 19th, 2006, 01:01 AM
I've been at work and have not seen or heard the announcement. Thanks for posting.

d3v1ant_0n3
October 19th, 2006, 01:11 AM
The thread name made me think this was going to be some bawdy joke about fawns and nymphs:-k

Feisty ferret would have been better:cool:

%hMa@?b<C
October 19th, 2006, 02:09 AM
oh man. my "fscking frog" idea wasnt taken? ill need an even better one for "G"

The Noble
October 19th, 2006, 02:18 AM
The name bugs me slightly (telling a friend about the "feisty fawn" release won't bode well for my masculinity...), although this is definately a good time to focus on eye-candy and hardware detection. I'll upgrade by "knot" 1 (what is the word for a group of fawns?) or so. I have a real stable edgy going right now, so it will be annoying to upgrade.

ThrobbingBrain66
October 19th, 2006, 02:19 AM
Here it is: https://lists.ubuntu.com/archives/ubuntu-devel-announce/2006-October/000212.html
pay no attention to ~Loke. Thanks for the heads-up. I look forward to the beta (as i only have one machine, i don't have the cajones to upgrade until then). :)

Snoopy381
October 19th, 2006, 02:34 AM
yeh, thanks for sharing that with us.

po0f
October 19th, 2006, 02:39 AM
Screw stable, bring on the breakage!! :twisted:

dan828
October 19th, 2006, 02:46 AM
Groan....Feisty Fawn? Who comes up with these names? Is it to much to ask to name it something that's not embarassing to say out loud?

Amaranth
October 19th, 2006, 02:53 AM
Groan....Feisty Fawn? Who comes up with these names? Is it to much to ask to name it something that's not embarassing to say out loud?
"Nope, I'm using Ubuntu 7.04 Herd 1"
or
"Nope, I'm using Ubuntu 7.04 Alpha 1"

Is that so hard?

dakini
October 19th, 2006, 02:56 AM
Thank you for this information - cant wait for the first test release! :)

jsmidt
October 19th, 2006, 02:57 AM
I own a laptop and I am very greatful they will be improving laptop hardware. Also, I am indeed also looking forward to these "features that are very visible to end-users"

Anybody want to guess what these are? Compiz, xgl, more?

kleeman
October 19th, 2006, 03:27 AM
F***ing Fantastic!

John.Michael.Kane
October 19th, 2006, 03:28 AM
Threads merged...

jdodson
October 19th, 2006, 04:09 AM
Dudes the Feisty Fawn is a great name. I am slating it to be the distro I switch to after Dapper.

Rock on fawn, rock the hunters a new one!

Mr. Picklesworth
October 19th, 2006, 04:15 AM
Yep, I'm excited for the next next release too, of course :)

It may be time to convert the rest of my family and get Ubuntu dual-booting on the decent computer, though...

Feisty Fawn is an excellent name.
For those unsure about the fawn part... I'm sure many of you remember how unsure people were about Edgy Eft (what the heck is an eft?! I still don't know :S). People pretty much just call it Edgy now, and that works fine.

Calling Feisty Fawn just Feisty will be rather fun!

banjobacon
October 19th, 2006, 04:36 AM
Had anyone suggested Frosty (or Frozen) Ferret?

~LoKe
October 19th, 2006, 04:41 AM
Had anyone suggested Frosty (or Frozen) Ferret?

The first word in the name seems to be more of a state of being, rather than an actual state.

Breezy Badger
Dapper Drake
Edgy Eft
Feisty Fawn.

banjobacon
October 19th, 2006, 04:45 AM
The first word in the name seems to be more of a state of being, rather than an actual state.

Breezy Badger
Dapper Drake
Edgy Eft
Feisty Fawn.
I was making a (possibly bad) joke.

'Cuz a ferret is like a weasel.

ericesque
October 19th, 2006, 06:30 AM
I think this is exactly what Ubuntu needs right now. Laptop support is key. Hopefully that includes wireless improvements. I need to get active with the art team to see if I can help tighten the look for feisty fawn.

Krakatos
October 19th, 2006, 08:17 AM
I agree that hardware support would be really good. Especially regarding laptops and wireless. I still would like a better 64 bit support as well.. but I'll manage somehow....

weatherman
October 19th, 2006, 08:50 AM
so what do you think...beryl included by default? :D

3rdalbum
October 19th, 2006, 09:57 AM
Mate, the only window manager included by default in Ubuntu will be Metacity. Beryl is not a Gnome project.

The thing I dislike about "Feisty Fawn" is that the name for the alphas will be Herd. You would say to someone "I'm running Herd 3" and people will say "Wow, has GNU finally finished their kernel then?"

weatherman
October 19th, 2006, 10:17 AM
Mate, the only window manager included by default in Ubuntu will be Metacity. Beryl is not a Gnome project.

The thing I dislike about "Feisty Fawn" is that the name for the alphas will be Herd. You would say to someone "I'm running Herd 3" and people will say "Wow, has GNU finally finished their kernel then?"
Well afaik there's lot of stuff in ubuntu that's not part of the official gnome project :)
Anyhow my post wasn't too serious, beryl is far from production-ready.

TheRingmaster
October 19th, 2006, 03:25 PM
Well afaik there's lot of stuff in ubuntu that's not part of the official gnome project :)
Anyhow my post wasn't too serious, beryl is far from production-ready.
use official compiz then.

PriceChild
October 19th, 2006, 03:32 PM
use official compiz then.That shouldn't be considered stable either.

bonzodog
October 19th, 2006, 04:01 PM
oh man. my "fscking frog" idea wasnt taken? ill need an even better one for "G"

There will be no G or H; They have already been taken in previous releases.

G was used for Grumpy Groundhog. This is the highly unstable/devel only package repo - it's not available to users as the packages aren't "sane".

H was used for Hoary Hedgehog (5.04).

So the next release will begin with I.

~LoKe
October 19th, 2006, 04:31 PM
There will be no G or H; They have already been taken in previous releases.

G was used for Grumpy Groundhog. This is the highly unstable/devel only package repo - it's not available to users as the packages aren't "sane".

H was used for Hoary Hedgehog (5.04).

So the next release will begin with I.

Impotent Iguana?
Intoxicated Iguana?
Illiterate Iguana?

Krakatos
October 19th, 2006, 05:46 PM
NOt Iguana for sure. Iguana has been used by Suse for a long time, so it will surely be something else....

chaosgeisterchen
October 19th, 2006, 06:17 PM
Ignited Ibis

I'd love to see beryl in Feisty, though.

maniacmusician
October 20th, 2006, 12:51 AM
as per the name; i think feisty fawn is brilliant. I love names like that, being a poet and musician.

i'm also pretty excited for the actual project. I groan at the prospect of having to reinstall because i'm pretty sure dist-upgrade will screw up. next time I install, i'll find out how to put /home on a seperate partition.

TheRingmaster
October 20th, 2006, 03:02 AM
In my opinion, I don't think that the name "flows" together

Albi
October 20th, 2006, 03:05 AM
Intricate Ibis

ago
October 20th, 2006, 12:06 PM
Here we go for the next round!

Main goals seem to be:

1) Hardware support
2) Eye candy (Beryl?)
3) Multimedia (EasyCodecInstallation? Fluendo?)

https://lists.ubuntu.com/archives/ubuntu-devel-announce/2006-October/000212.html

Anyway I agree with the objectives, this version will be the one facing Vista, and the 3 points above are quite important for market penetration, particularly in a market dominated by visual effects.

*merged* -- PriceChild

chaosgeisterchen
October 20th, 2006, 12:23 PM
Next Round...

Do you think we will overtake Vista on this round?

ago
October 20th, 2006, 12:47 PM
Overtake technically yes, on almost any aspect (including eyecandy, if Beryl is in by default), marketwise no.

ago
October 20th, 2006, 12:51 PM
I still wish there was a single "exe" installer, iso files are far too complex for most users. Instlux and/or andlinux is the way to go.

http://instlux.sourceforge.net/
http://wiki.gp2x.org/wiki/AndLinux

.t.
October 20th, 2006, 12:53 PM
Well, if you are running Ubuntu or Vista, you can just right-click the ISO file and write it to the disc.

ago
October 20th, 2006, 01:02 PM
Well, if you are running Ubuntu or Vista, you can just right-click the ISO file and write it to the disc.

Most people will be running XP...

More than once I explained how to burn ISOs (including screencast!!!) and still the person managed to copy the iso on the CD (i.e. the CD ended up containing a single iso file). Obiously he could not boot. Then I had others having problems because of medium or high burn speed. Not to mention the bios. This gets people scared before even beginning. I am sure others here have witnessed similar stories. Add that windows users really want to see something called "setup.exe". If you show them "xyz.iso" you scare them off.

maniacmusician
October 20th, 2006, 01:27 PM
yes i agree. exe installers are not hard to make, i'm sure, especially with the sheer number of advanced programmers that we have hanging around. I think it'd be awesome if users could start the installation from within xp and then finish it after a restart. I know windows implements this idea, but its a useful one nonethless.

.t.
October 20th, 2006, 01:32 PM
The devs are scared to implement an "exe installer" as they don't want to break the Windows boot.ini file, killing the Windows boot sequence and putting people off. Otherwise, they'd probably be quite keen.

maniacmusician
October 20th, 2006, 03:36 PM
an exe installer doesn't have to do all those things...it would still do operations in pretty much the same manner, i would think...I dunno. it was just an idea.

.t.
October 20th, 2006, 04:34 PM
Well, either it modifies the MBR, the Windows partition boot sector or the boot.ini file. Then, it would have to point to a GRUB or other boot-loader. This would load the kernel, and boot the OS.

The safest method is the boot.ini file, but even that seems too dangerous.

maniacmusician
October 20th, 2006, 04:41 PM
[grimace] damn windows!

chaosgeisterchen
October 20th, 2006, 06:19 PM
Technically overtake Vista is some realistic target, marketshare ~10% as well.

ago
October 21st, 2006, 12:01 AM
The safest method is the boot.ini file, but even that seems too dangerous.

Why is it so dangerous?

You have to append a line like

C:\grldr="Start Ubuntu Installer"

And create a folder with Ubuntu net-install initrd + kernel + grub for NT. I believe instlux does something similar, see also http://marc.herbert.free.fr/linux/win2linstall.html

Kateikyoushi
October 21st, 2006, 12:33 AM
Technically overtake Vista is some realistic target, marketshare ~10% as well.

If you mean 10% of the home pcs, I would call it very optimistic .

xhaan
October 21st, 2006, 02:47 AM
I like the name ^_^. Nice to see some more eyecandy (or at least making it easier)

Me like name too.
But candy in the eye hurts... though not as bad as pointy in the eye.

chaosgeisterchen
October 21st, 2006, 08:24 AM
If you mean 10% of the home pcs, I would call it very optimistic .

10% overall as a dream goal. 5% will be more realistic.

.t.
October 21st, 2006, 08:39 AM
Why is it so dangerous?

You have to append a line like

C:\grldr="Start Ubuntu Installer"

And create a folder with Ubuntu net-install initrd + kernel + grub for NT. I believe instlux does something similar, see also http://marc.herbert.free.fr/linux/win2linstall.html
I dunno. Hence "seems". It's just what I interpreted from the mailing list as the devs opinion.

hanzomon4
October 21st, 2006, 09:20 AM
Wishful thinking, but I would love for something like rox appdirs (http://rox.sourceforge.net/phpwiki/index.php/AppDir) for Feisty.

I tried rox-filer for a while and this was my favorite feature.

Imagine installing apps just by downloading a folder, uninstalling just by throwing it away..

DoctorMO
October 21st, 2006, 09:33 AM
I like the name... I hope to get dohickey in it but we'll have to wait and see.

yman
October 22nd, 2006, 08:53 AM
I wish it was called friendly ferret.

Reshin
October 22nd, 2006, 11:29 AM
I wish it was called friendly ferret.

I'm sorry, but...no....just, no...

Gargamella
October 22nd, 2006, 12:17 PM
hardware software + nicer graphical interface = new amazed and satisfied users like me :D

bastiegast
October 22nd, 2006, 12:57 PM
I still wish there was a single "exe" installer, iso files are far too complex for most users. Instlux and/or andlinux is the way to go.

http://instlux.sourceforge.net/
http://wiki.gp2x.org/wiki/AndLinux

Ok maybe a exe installer is hard/dangerous. But what about a install wizard: Install Ubuntu.exe and a nice wizard will popup asking you to insert a blank CD and automatically burning it, after burning it maybe do a check on the contents and reboot? Including a open source cd-burner in a wizard wouldn't be to hard.

Tux Aubrey
October 23rd, 2006, 05:20 AM
1. Hardware support -YES!

2. Integrated networking tools - setup and administer SOHO/school networks from some sort of GUI command centre. Something that makes SAMBA less impenetrable.

3. MBR backup/restore function so that windows users can feel a little safer.

4. Better documentation.

5. Keep escalating the "state of being" adjective - Hoary becomes Breezy becomes Dapper becomes Edgy becomes Feisty becomes .... "Inspired Impala"? - I'd say "Immaculate" but I think perfection should probably wait for a few releases.

ago
October 23rd, 2006, 07:37 AM
Ok maybe a exe installer is hard/dangerous. But what about a install wizard: Install Ubuntu.exe and a nice wizard will popup asking you to insert a blank CD and automatically burning it, after burning it maybe do a check on the contents and reboot? Including a open source cd-burner in a wizard wouldn't be to hard.

I still do not understand why an installer would be so dangerous. But I agree, that would be a big improvement. We could simply create a single .exe package bundling iso+isoburner and that would be a major improvement for many windows users... It would still be less than ideal because people with no burner and/or with bios set-up to boot from HD would be left out, but a major improvement nevertheless. HW checking would also be very helpful, it would shape expectations before beginning the installation, and suggest possible solutions, but that should probably be on the live-cd.

DoctorMO
October 23rd, 2006, 09:13 AM
An exe installed would also allow you to select the kind of installation cd you wish to create, x64? PPC? Sparc? and perhaps a few other interesting options such as desktop: Kubuntu, Ubuntu, Xubuntu etc.

Although we should have a dmg installer too.

ago
October 23rd, 2006, 11:04 AM
An exe installed would also allow you to select the kind of installation cd you wish to create, x64? PPC? Sparc?
I think that the installer should be mostly targeted to windows users. Mac users are a lower priority (it is a matter of numbers), and when the windows installer is ready it should be possible to find equivalent solutions in the mac world and reimplement. I doubt sparc users will have problems burning an iso.

Possibly the architecture should be detected by the Ubuntu webserver itself. So you could have a single "download" link on Ubuntu page that will lead you to the appropriate download package/mirror based on the OS/Architecture/ip you are currently using (but giving you the option to select a different architecture/mirror).

and perhaps a few other interesting options such as desktop: Kubuntu, Ubuntu, Xubuntu etc.

I am of the opinion that beginners should be given very few options, or they get confused. They have a difficult time understanding that there is no "one linux", throwing at them the concept of different window managers, widget sets and desktop environments, is way too much. They can always learn about Kubuntu/Xubuntu/... later on and can easily install them on top of Ubuntu. The steps should be:

1) Click download (redirected to the appropriate file)
2) Run the ubuntu-setup.exe
3) Put in a blank CD when requested

The installer will do some basic checks, burn the iso, check the iso, reboot. Probably all this can be written directly with NSIS + cdrtools (or equivalent).