PDA

View Full Version : Why are you denying CDs!

Captain Kirk76
October 18th, 2006, 07:57 PM
Why am i constantly been denied cds!

# 15 CDs requested in 2006-08-25. This request was not approved, so no CDs were shipped.
# 10 CDs requested in 2006-09-29. This request was not approved, so no CDs were shipped.

aysiu
October 18th, 2006, 08:06 PM
Sounds as if your request was not approved.

I'm not 100% sure whom you should be complaining to, but it's not the Ubuntu Forums.

Maybe this is the place to contend your order should be approved?
https://launchpad.net/products/shipit

Technoviking
October 18th, 2006, 08:07 PM
Have you gotten CDs recently. The only time I was denined was when I asked for some CDs after just getting some a couple monthes earlier.

John.Michael.Kane
October 18th, 2006, 08:09 PM
Also I believe theres a limit on how many you can order now. You should be able to order three cd's with out issue.

~LoKe
October 18th, 2006, 08:15 PM
Also I believe theres a limit on how many you can order now. You should be able to order three cd's with out issue.

I recently ordered 10 without an issue.

cunawarit
October 18th, 2006, 08:18 PM
I ordered 5 a month or so ago... Got them.

DoctorMO
October 18th, 2006, 08:20 PM
I burn my own and have alterntive artwork that no one else uses (because it's dvd case format) so I havn't ordered any and got all of them.

ronmarley1
October 18th, 2006, 09:22 PM
I ordered and got some. Then was denied a couple of times. I then did a custom order, explaining that I wanted them to give to my high school students as rewards and was approved for 8 more.

chickengirl
October 18th, 2006, 10:07 PM
When Dapper came out I ordered 10 (because that was the default order) and got one CD, about 3 months later.

I don't know why anyone bothers with ShipIt. You can make a disc yourself in a matter of hours. Even if you don't have a CD burner, you could borrow a friend's and you'd still have it faster than ShipIt. Hell, even if you're on dial-up and it's going to take a week to get the ISO and your nearest friend with a CD burner lives three states away and you have to take off work to drive out there to burn your disc and you find out when you get there that you forgot the flash drive with the ISO at home and you have to download it again and your friend's dial-up is even slower than yours, and then you have to drive all the way back.... you'd still have your Ubuntu disc faster than ShipIt.

The only way I could see it being worthwhile is if you lived in a remote village in Africa where there is no dial-up and no CD-burners.

MetalMusicAddict
October 18th, 2006, 10:27 PM
The only way I could see it being worthwhile is if you lived in a remote village in Africa where there is no dial-up and no CD-burners.
But you still have a computer? :-D

chickengirl
October 19th, 2006, 12:32 AM
But you still have a computer? :-D

Exactly. :rolleyes:

weasel fierce
October 19th, 2006, 12:41 AM
Its a high tech village in africa with no internet..

punkinside
October 19th, 2006, 01:31 AM
A high tech village in africa with postal service? :-k

Anyways, I order them cause theire kewl :p and people react a lot better to a commercial looking cd

CAUSTICROUTER
October 19th, 2006, 01:55 AM
The cd wouldn't work for me, and I don't have any friends.

mediax
October 19th, 2006, 01:36 PM
I ordered CDs via post because my Windows PC was so virus-ridden that I didn't trust it to write a CD! :rolleyes:

Plus the DVD a friend gave me had errors on it. ](*,)

Still, I ordered five in July/August and got them with no problem. I was seriously impressed by being sent professionally packaged material without even a P&P charge (no, I'm not being ironic!)

I've found that the "official" packaging makes a big difference when you're trying to convince someone to give it a try! Windows users are trained to be highly suspicious of anything distributed on unlabelled disks. :twisted:

bonzodog
October 19th, 2006, 04:46 PM
Just to tell everyone, there are no Edgy CD's going to be made available - they will continue shipping dapper as the LTS release. If you want edgy, install dapper and upgrade or download and burn it.

There WILL be a limited issue of Edgy CD's for Loco teams, and the CD's will be shipped directly to the team leader.

Captain Kirk76
October 20th, 2006, 02:45 PM
Um, so when Edgy is released, how do we get it? Not everyone has enough bandwidth to download massive ISO files? (Or large updates)

.t.
October 20th, 2006, 03:27 PM
You don't, unfortunately.

bonzodog
October 20th, 2006, 05:44 PM
Um, so when Edgy is released, how do we get it? Not everyone has enough bandwidth to download massive ISO files? (Or large updates)

Well, the assumption goes something like this:

If you use linux, you must be a broadband user. You cannot use linux properly without a high speed link.

Blame the Debian community for this, but linux was written primarily with the a permanent internet connection in mind. Like my sig says, it was developed by the internet, for the internet.

aysiu
October 20th, 2006, 05:47 PM
If you don't have broadband, I wouldn't use Ubuntu, honestly.

Still, there are official DVDs available for purchase on Amazon. You can also have unofficial sites ship you CDs for a fee.

Ubuntu sucks for dial-up/no internet because there are no official add-on CDs. Debian, Fedora, and Mandriva have lots of add-on CDs you can order or download from another computer.

maniacmusician
October 20th, 2006, 06:44 PM
I wouldn't be surprised if add-on CD's are already being considered. The dev's have to be noticing this. And if not, it seems like a worthwhile thing to throw into the ambassador project. When voted on, i think it would probably rank fairly high on the list of what users want. A lot of users here are not broadband enabled.

aysiu
October 20th, 2006, 06:57 PM
For now, all we have is a community-created add-on CD:
https://ubuntuplus.bountysource.com/

emarkay
October 20th, 2006, 07:02 PM
Mind boggled here:

FACTS:
1. CD's cost a few pennies to make when pressed in bulk.
2. Shipping 1 or 20 CD's costs about the same (they are lightweight) especially in paper sleeves.
3. Ubuntu wants to "get the word out" about itself.

THEREFORE:
Unlike AOL, who used to ship BILLIONS of unwanted CD's, WTF is there ANY reason that ANY CD shipments are denied?

IMHO if someone asked for one - They should get THREE! Asking for 10 should get you 20!

Where is the logic/common sense/rationality or whatever behind this?

MRK

aysiu
October 20th, 2006, 07:06 PM
If you believe the cost is so little, perhaps you should try shipping free CDs yourself to anywhere in the world. Postage adds up. Printing costs for the sleeves adds up. The time it takes to press all those CDs adds up.

We're not talking about only one or two requests a week here.

Frankly, I think the word is out about Ubuntu already. It's in the news far more than it deserves to be. I'd rather the money go into development than into shipping more CDs. Most people who need a CD shipped to them (i.e., have no broadband internet/CD burner) will probably find Ubuntu useless anyway--it has no add-on CDs and is very internet-reliant for updates and software installation.

As for why you would deny any requests... I'd deny certain requests, for this reason. (http://ubuntuforums.org/showthread.php?t=244732)

dannyboy79
October 20th, 2006, 07:11 PM
I agree with aysiu, Ubuntu is NOT AOL, they don't have an unlimited flow of cash pouring in.

PapaWiskas
October 20th, 2006, 07:37 PM
I think they should cut it back to 1 CD to be shipped if you want more than that, a small donation is required.

maia
October 20th, 2006, 07:47 PM
I think they should cut it back to 1 CD to be shipped if you want more than that, a small donation is required.
Yeah, I have the same thought. Anyway, I'm gonna try 6.10 and waiting for it to be realised (in order to register in ShipIt). Dunno if I'll go Ubuntu or Kubuntu way, but I'll order only 1 CD of each. Fairly reasonable. It's pretty lame people wanting to order 'bulk' (read exagerated) quantities for free IMO ](*,)

emarkay
October 20th, 2006, 08:20 PM
As for why you would deny any requests... I'd deny certain requests, for this reason. (http://ubuntuforums.org/showthread.php?t=244732)

I don't waste bandwidth with YT, but I presume he's destroying CD's of Ubuntu. :evil:

OK, point taken and accepted, and I think that yes, $$ does need to be focused on continued investment in bug-free, customer-happy, feature-rich Open Source software.

Maybe the attitude of the free CD needs to be adjusted to focus on your (well versed) need for free distrubution WHILE a credit card or PayPal set up can be offered, to ship to those that can afford to pay, and, for shipping of all multiple copies.

I'd BUY multiple copies to distribute, if they were a buck or two each, postpaid!

Also, they then could offer donations to help cover the costs of the free service that way.

MRK

John.Michael.Kane
October 20th, 2006, 08:31 PM
@maia there will be no edgy ship-it cd's

http://ubuntuforums.org/showthread.php?t=278151&highlight=no+edgy+cd%27s

weekend warrior
October 20th, 2006, 09:17 PM
For now, all we have is a community-created add-on CD:
https://ubuntuplus.bountysource.com/

Actually that's not all we have, torrents of the repositories on DVDs (http://cargol.net/~ramon/ubuntu-dvd-en) have been available for some time now, all 11+ GB of it. If someone without broadband needed these it would be a matter of finding a friend or place with a high-speed connection to download and burn the ISOs for them.

The torrents now are still for Dapper obviously (and are still seeded and going very nicely btw - just now checked out of curiosity). At some point after release they should be switching over to an Edgy set of torrents.

aysiu
October 20th, 2006, 09:26 PM
You're absolutely correct--there are DVDs that contain all of the Main and Restricted repositories.

However, DVDs take a lot longer to download and fewer people have DVD burners than have CD burners. If I wanted to burn a DVD, I wouldn't know where to go. None of my friends have DVD burners.

It's far more likely people would know someone with a CD burner.

Also, a lot of the popular software to install in addition to a default installation is in the Universe and Multiverse repositories. The DVDs mainly have the different desktop environments (Kubuntu, Ubuntu, Xubuntu, Edubuntu) and a few other packages.

weekend warrior
October 20th, 2006, 09:38 PM
These DVDs are the main, universe, multiverse and restricted repositories, everything and the kitchen sink.

It is a viable option for some and in fact one that worked for me when I was abroad with my laptop during the Breezy release and sans net connection. I persuaded a local netcafe with a fast link to download and burn them for a nominal, flat fee - worked a treat.

Edit: Here's the link again. Have a look, it's also a good tutorial on how to make your own DVD images from the repos.
http://cargol.net/~ramon/ubuntu-dvd-en

~

aysiu
October 20th, 2006, 09:43 PM
Are you serious? How do those all fit on one DVD? That's cool.

weekend warrior
October 20th, 2006, 09:47 PM
Well now that would be something, but it's actually three DVDs. ;) Still, like I said - it's an option.